Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Munky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
So my location based reminders stopped working with beta 4 (the first one I installed) and every beta since then, and even the GM, they still don't work. I set them myself, or I ask Siri to do it and they never ever work. Yet my frequent locations are pretty accurate...

Anyone else having this problem?

grockk

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2006
Do you have background app refresh turned off. Or off for reminders. That needs to be on for location reminders to work.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
So my location based reminders stopped working with beta 4 (the first one I installed) and every beta since then, and even the GM, they still don't work. I set them myself, or I ask Siri to do it and they never ever work. Yet my frequent locations are pretty accurate...

Anyone else having this problem?

Had this problem since the betas. Got it to work once on beta 4 or 5.

Not working in the GM at all.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Yea it's been shaky. I think the new version of iCloud needs to be activated or something, hopefully it's a server side fix.

secordry

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
ios7 still not working

Ok, so I have tried everything... even after the release of ios7 location based reminders will not go off when I get somewhere or leave.

What gives?

ahwman

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
Ok, so I have tried everything... even after the release of ios7 location based reminders will not go off when I get somewhere or leave.

What gives?

I'm seeing the same thing from my end. It has been working flawlessly with both iOS 6 and iOS 7 GM, however yesterday it stopped working and I no longer have the Geofence indicator active in the status bar unless I keep the Reminders app running in the background. Nothing has changed in my configuration so I'm puzzled as to why it would just quit working, unless something's gone haywire from Apple's end. I even did a full wipe of my iPhone 5 and fresh install of iOS 7 and the same behavior continues even with a fresh install. Very frustrating...:mad:

secordry

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
I'm seeing the same thing from my end. It has been working flawlessly with both iOS 6 and iOS 7 GM, however yesterday it stopped working and I no longer have the Geofence indicator active in the status bar unless I keep the Reminders app running in the background. Nothing has changed in my configuration so I'm puzzled as to why it would just quit working, unless something's gone haywire from Apple's end. I even did a full wipe of my iPhone 5 and fresh install of iOS 7 and the same behavior continues even with a fresh install. Very frustrating...:mad:

agreed. I can see my Geofence and can set up the reminder but it just doesn't go off. This thread is really the only thing I have seen online regarding this issue. I was supposed to pick something up for the baby momma on the way home from work yesterday and forgot because my reminder didn't remind me when I was passing the store... Obviously it wasn't pleasant when I got home... Damn you Apple, lol.

Jason Edwards

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
I read somewhere that apps will now have to be open/running for this type of stuff to work. Open you location settings with the Reminders running. It will show the geofence triangle. Then close the Reminders app and the geofence triangle disappears.

It does the same thing for me so I tested this out. As long as Reminders is open the location reminders work.

Jason

secordry

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
I read somewhere that apps will now have to be open/running for this type of stuff to work. Open you location settings with the Reminders running. It will show the geofence triangle. Then close the Reminders app and the geofence triangle disappears.

It does the same thing for me so I tested this out. As long as Reminders is open the location reminders work.

Jason

I see what your saying and I tried that yesterday. I left the reminders app open and ran a test and it still didn't work.

Stef.Oh

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Sigh

So am I. I've been searching the web for other people having this same issue and this is all I've found so far. It works fine if I set a specific time, just not with locations. I've tried turning things off and back on and tried multiple locations both arriving and leaving... :(

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
So am I. I've been searching the web for other people having this same issue and this is all I've found so far. It works fine if I set a specific time, just not with locations. I've tried turning things off and back on and tried multiple locations both arriving and leaving... :(

Perhaps submit this to Apple as a potential bug. Maybe they can fix in in a upcoming software update.

opnancy

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
My original post on this was that Location does not work in Calendar. Somehow, this became a discussion on location links in Reminders. Sounds like Apple needs tio be aware of both of these Location issues.

Stef.Oh

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Solution

I was messing around with this a lot yesterday and I found a solution, for my phone anyway. I tried out several different methods and found that if Background App Referesh is on as well as making sure the app is still running in the background, the notifications will work. It doesn't work with one or the other. Hopefully this works for other people as well.

Checco70

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
I got exactly the same problem.
I'm very disappointed as I use it a lot.
Leaving the app open in background is a workaround not the solution!
Can someone tell me how can I report a but to apple?

Last edited:

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I was messing around with this a lot yesterday and I found a solution, for my phone anyway. I tried out several different methods and found that if Background App Referesh is on as well as making sure the app is still running in the background, the notifications will work. It doesn't work with one or the other. Hopefully this works for other people as well.

Thanks for this. Geofenced Reminders were driving me nuts for the past few days and upon turning on background App refresh it started working. I'm finally seeing the hollow arrow on top again.

Munky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2011
The location based reminders STILL don't work even as I have upgraded to the iPhone 5s. This is pissing me off!

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
Yes, I have this same problem, they are not working at all. It really sucks and it's one of the things about iOS 7 that is pissing me off. It worked in iOS 6.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Jason

That doesn't make sense. Phone, Mail, Calendar, Clock and Reminder apps are coded to run as system processes (PID 0). Even if you were "closing" them in task switcher you really aren't.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
The location based reminders STILL don't work even as I have upgraded to the iPhone 5s. This is pissing me off!

Yes, I have this same problem, they are not working at all. It really sucks and it's one of the things about iOS 7 that is pissing me off. It worked in iOS 6.

Weird, mine's working fine on my iPhone 5. I had to re-enable Background App Refresh for geofenced reminders to work.

I just tested it with 2 reminds, one for when leaving work and another for when I arrive home. Upon setting the reminders the little hollow GPS arrow showed up on the top of the screen.

The reminder for when leaving work was a little late in showing up; on my 20 minute drive home, the reminder came on about 5 minutes into the drive (possibly due to the geofence radius, which you can now set in iOS7). Arriving home, I just noticed it on my lock screen when I walked in my house.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Weird, mine's working fine on my iPhone 5. I had to re-enable Background App Refresh for geofenced reminders to work.

I just tested it with 2 reminds, one for when leaving work and another for when I arrive home. Upon setting the reminders the little hollow GPS arrow showed up on the top of the screen.

The reminder for when leaving work was a little late in showing up; on my 20 minute drive home, the reminder came on about 5 minutes into the drive (possibly due to the geofence radius, which you can now set in iOS7). Arriving home, I just noticed it on my lock screen when I walked in my house.

Where can you possibly set the geofence radius? Please explain! Thanks.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Where can you possibly set the geofence radius? Please explain! Thanks.

When you are setting up the reminder and click the switch "Remind me at a location" and then click on Location, the screen below shows up. You can then drag the black dot to make the radius smaller or larger.

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 444

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
When you are setting up the reminder and click the switch "Remind me at a location" and then click on Location, the screen below shows up. You can then drag the black dot to make the radius smaller or larger.

Is your reminders app running in the background when your geofence reminder works? Mine is working like others, only when it's running in the background. If I close it I don't get them. And the radius is set to the smallest point...something like 326 feet.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Is your reminders app running in the background when your geofence reminder works? Mine is working like others, only when it's running in the background. If I close it I don't get them. And the radius is set to the smallest point...something like 326 feet.

Yes, when I double tap the home button I see my Reminders app is running in the background. I believe it has to in order for geofenced reminders to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.