Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I bought a Belkin Grip Candy Sheer case for my iPhone 5 last month from Best Buy. Mine is turquoise and gray.

My boyfriend just bought one for his case today (also at Best Buy). His is blue and gray.

I first notices that his case doesn't fit quit as well as mine does. Mine covers the chamfered edges and just a little but of the front. His comes just to the edge of the front. His camera hole is also bigger, and the speaker and lightening port holes are shaped differently. His also has a slightly different texture.

So the question is did Belkin change the case at some point, or is his a fake? I somehow doubt Best Buy would sell a fake product, but then again anything is possible.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Belkin probably revised the case somewhere down the line. This is normal with case makers. Can you share pictures of the two cases, comparing them?

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Yes, and I had to change cases for my wife because I couldn't find the same build as the one I've been using for the past 9 months. The one I have fits great and has proportionally sized cut outs on the bottom. Two different ones I ordered from Amazon a few weeks ago do not come over the phone edge enough and the bottom cut outs are all the same sizes. Big downgrade in quality.

93MPH

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2008
Two Different Belkin Grip Candy Sheer Cases?

I was wondering this also hoping I didn't get a fake. I've have a a black candy sheer for a couple months and wanted to change colors so I bought the green one on Amazon. It came as you described with the cutouts being bigger. Also, the mute switch is easier to access.

y6u7ene2.jpg
asy8a5uj.jpg

Last edited:

webslinger85

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
I think your glow/blacktop one is a fake. The cutouts on mine are like your black one, and the black ring around the camera cutout it huge and noticable compared to mine.

Does it have Belkin branding on it? What about the volume buttons, do they have the + and - molded into them?

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
If you bought the case from a retail outlet like Best Buy it is not a fake.

I just posted about a new updated Belkin Grip Candy Sheer with the new port cutouts and also a transparent/frosted back that I picked up at my local Target. These updated models are really nice IMO.

Moosetafer

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
Yep - The design changed

The design definitely changed, and for the worse, as you described. Looser fit. Less responsive buttons as a result.

The old style is my favorite case by far.

psychnaut is right in that the color combinations do look nice. But the fit and finish is a major fail.

You can still find the old style, and I just snapped a black one up at target to be able to have a spare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.