PDA

View Full Version : Will I get warranty with this dent?

sahanlak
Sep 15, 2013, 06:06 AM
Hey guys,

The one year warranty for my macbook air expire next week and I'm deciding whether to buy an apple care or not. Last month it slipped and got a small dent in a corner.

http://d.pr/i/VeHr+

Do you guys think that I can claim warranty with this? if not there's no point in buying an apple care right?

Thanks

maflynn
Sep 15, 2013, 06:11 AM
Bring it in and ask to be sure. They may not cover anything on the display but they may cover the logic board - its hard to say.

AXs
Sep 15, 2013, 06:37 AM
no one can answer this for you except apple's representative.

Though likely not, no harm in asking

TheRealDamager
Sep 15, 2013, 08:43 AM
Agreed with the others - take it into Apple. If they can verify that everything is working properly, they may go ahead and sell you AC and make a note for your unit that everything was working fine with the current dent.

617aircav
Sep 15, 2013, 09:42 PM
I have a similar dent and dont want to waste money on apple care if it wont be covered. The nearest apple store is 300 miles away. I would appreciate your update.

Mrbobb
Sep 16, 2013, 02:49 AM
I have a similar dent and dont want to waste money on apple care if it wont be covered. The nearest apple store is 300 miles away. I would appreciate your update.

That's why the new AppleCare+ can only be purchased with new machine and not mid-stream.

silvershamrock
Sep 16, 2013, 09:11 AM
That's why the new AppleCare+ can only be purchased with new machine and not mid-stream.

:confused: I bought AppleCare for my 2012 MBA during the 11th month.

OP, if you can't get to an Apple store, then I would suggest phoning them, describing the situation, and getting their advice. They would be able to tell you if the rest of the machine (SSD, logic board, trackpad, etc) would still be covered.

Good luck. :)

clyde2801
Sep 16, 2013, 09:24 AM

They offer Applecare + on Macs now? I thought it was only for iPhones and iPads! Suh-weet!!!

Damn, where's that sarcasm smiley?

HarryWarden
Sep 16, 2013, 10:29 AM
They offer Applecare + on Macs now? I thought it was only for iPhones and iPads! Suh-weet!!!

Damn, where's that sarcasm smiley?

They should offer + for laptops because you can buy cases for phones and iPads that pretty much prevent most dents and other damage but most cases for laptops won't prevent dents, in my experience.

sahanlak
Sep 23, 2013, 11:12 PM
I took the air to a local reseller and they agreed to provide the warranty (in fact I claimed for a problem I had), dent wasn't a big issue. However things might be different if I took it to an actual apple store (which we don't have down here). I spoke to apple customer service prior contacting the reseller and they said for our country local reseller's decision considered as the final decision and there are no strict policies for them (if the country doesn't have an apple store)

AXs
Sep 24, 2013, 05:07 AM
I took the air to a local reseller and they agreed to provide the warranty (in fact I claimed for a problem I had), dent wasn't a big issue. However things might be different if I took it to an actual apple store (which we don't have down here). I spoke to apple customer service prior contacting the reseller and they said for our country local reseller's decision considered as the final decision and there are no strict policies for them (if the country doesn't have an apple store)

You would be very surprised. Local resellers are much stricter than Apple when it comes to these things due to the absence of brand value and goodwill.

The question never was whether they would sell you extended warranty, the important factor is whether they would cover your device is there was a mishap during the extended period of warranty.

Usually, it's not the same place right? The service location and the retail shop.
The guy in the retail shop aims at making as much sales possible to reach his target.
He's not the one who will approve/reject your laptop for service.

Hypothetically speaking, 9 months from now something fails- you go to the service center and they reject your for service due to voided warranty as a result of damage from falling (due to dent).
Then what are you going to say? Some guy in the retail shop said it was okay 9 months ago? You need to secure yourself.

Good luck.

GGJstudios
Sep 24, 2013, 07:28 AM
AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad (http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4689LL/A) and iPhone (http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A), not for Apple computers. AppleCare+ can be purchased anytime within 30 days of your iPhone or iPad purchase.