Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SwissWatch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Chaps, I will be buying the MacBook Air 13" on pay day of this month. I plan on upgrading the RAM to 8GB and the SSD to 512GB. This will be a move from my unibody MacBook Pro with 256GB SSD.

I understand that Ethernet, FireWire and the SuperDrive will disappear. However the upgrade in SSD capacity and the inclusion of thunderbolt will hopefully make it worth while. (The Thunderbolt Display is also on my radar.) Also the upgrade in battery life is absolutely superb!

May I ask the people who own the latest 13" how they're finding it? Any downsides? Have any issues been reported with the screen or SSD? I'm an IT Consultant myself, but PC hardware has never interested me so I often ignore the latest news with regards to SSD reliability and speeds of Apple SSDs.

Thanks for the input. Cheers!

sheky

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2013
Hey SwissWatch!

I just got my 13" i7 8gb 512GB a few days back. Its been amazing so far! Very quick, very responsive. Its currently in a black iGlaze moshi case and a really thin sleeve for an extra protection since I travel quite a bit.

If it makes a difference to you, I have a Samsung SSD and Screen, geekbench score of 8301 and read write speed of 700+!

Been having a bit of a battery problem which I'm trying to diagnosed!

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
May I ask the people who own the latest 13" how they're finding it? Any downsides? Have any issues been reported with the screen or SSD? I'm an IT Consultant myself, but PC hardware has never interested me so I often ignore the latest news with regards to SSD reliability and speeds of Apple SSDs.

Thanks for the input. Cheers!

I don't own one, mine is an 11". But your basic question on performance has been answered many times on this forum. Do a search and you'll see. BTW, welcome to the forum, it's really a great place to hang out, learn and share knowledge.

Lou

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I recently got the i7/8gb/512gb 11" model myself, previously had a 2011 13" i5/4gb/256gb MBA. I really liked the 13" machine but when travelling I wished I had the 11", so I made the switch. At home I use a big screen and keyboard so the size doesn't matter there.

You will not be disappointed with performance - this is a fast little machine - the 512gb SSD is blazing fast. I see a significant difference in rendering Final Cut Pro Video compared to my 2011 MBA.

Attachments

• disk.jpg
    disk.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 119

Fifteen20s

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
Get plenty of storage. I bought a base 13in. its a great machine, even has the Samsung screen and SSD.

I do with I have bought 256 / 512 storage. I have now found myself needing Windows for work and 128 will not meet my bootcamp needs

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
You'll love it. Does anyone know how the backlit keyboard works? Each time it gets to bright, my keyboard will automatically shut down the backlight, and each moment it gets to dark it will turn on the backlight.

Here's the thing though. I've noticed that when it is indeed dark, the keyboard won't automatically adjust how bright the backlit keyboard should be. The brightness is only determined by what my manual level of brightness I had when the backlight was on.

The "Automatically illuminate keyboard in low light" is always on btw. Do you guys experience the same thing? It doesn't quite work like the screen, which will always adapt brightness given how bright or dark it is. The keyboard though will either shut off the brightness completely, or turn it back on when it's needed (to the brightness level it had when you used f5/f6).

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
You'll love it. Does anyone know how the backlit keyboard works? Each time it gets to bright, my keyboard will automatically shut down the backlight, and each moment it gets to dark it will turn on the backlight.

Here's the thing though. I've noticed that when it is indeed dark, the keyboard won't automatically adjust how bright the backlit keyboard should be. The brightness is only determined by what my manual level of brightness I had when the backlight was on.

The "Automatically illuminate keyboard in low light" is always on btw. Do you guys experience the same thing? It doesn't quite work like the screen, which will always adapt brightness given how bright or dark it is. The keyboard though will either shut off the brightness completely, or turn it back on when it's needed (to the brightness level it had when you used f5/f6).

I turned off the auto brightness and keep it at 1 bar of brightness at all times. Works great during the night or day. I don't sit outside on my computer, so I can't say how it would work outside during the day..

bosxfan1

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
Virginia
I got my 13" a couple of weeks ago. I had a 15" MBP at my last job and missed having a Mac. I just wanted a little more portability.

I would recommend getting the i7 over the i5 and 256Gb flash vs. i5 and 512Gb if your budget limited. In either case I would get 8Gb RAM. I use Fusion so I can work with Windows 8 (It's my job, don't judge ;)) and the extra RAM is nice to have. I haven't seen any performance issues so far with day to day use.

Unless I'm doing some heavy work with Gimp, it feels just as snappy as my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.