Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KF81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Hi there, i was hoping to get some help with an issue i have.

I have an old power mac G5, dual 1.8GHz, version 10.5.8

For some reason, when broadband is plugged into my ethernet port it does not seem to recognize it. It works fine though, if i use a dongle through the usb port.

I would like to do an internet radio show through my Mac and was wondering if i could run broadband through the usb port ? If i can, then how do i go about doing it, what piece of equipment would i need ?

Thanks for any advice, as it would be very helpful.

Kevin

KF81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Thanks for replying. I have done all that and it does not work. It seems that the computer does not recognize the broadband coming into it through the ethernet port. So, i am not bothered about trying to fix the problem to be honest.

What i would like to know is, what would be the best equipment to use to be able to run my broadband through the USB port ? I know there are adapters out there that do this but i would like to know about a good one that works for my Mac..

Cheers

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Thanks for replying. I have done all that and it does not work. It seems that the computer does not recognize the broadband coming into it through the ethernet port. So, i am not bothered about trying to fix the problem to be honest.

What i would like to know is, what would be the best equipment to use to be able to run my broadband through the USB port ? I know there are adapters out there that do this but i would like to know about a good one that works for my Mac..

Cheers

Have you tried putting in a router in between your broadband and Mac?

KF81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Have you tried putting in a router in between your broadband and Mac?

No i have not. I do not have any broadband at the moment and would not want to order it on the off chance that it might work. I am thinking about buying a cheap 2nd hand P.C just for my radio show if i can not use my Mac.

I am looking for something like this, but i do not think this one will work on my old O/S

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Gi...-Specific/dp/B003VSTDFG/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

Cheers

----------

I think this is what i am looking for...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabit-Eth...e+USB+2.0+to+10/100/1000+Gigabit+Ethernet+LAN

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You are confusing us. You ask about broadband working with a USB dongle. You say it works there, so as mentioned you were asking a question about something that already works for you.

Then in your last post you say you don't have broadband at all! Worse yet you say you would not want to order it on the chance that it may work! Are you trying to solve an actual problem here or what? Why would you ask about getting broadband to work if you're not wanting it to work?!

What's the deal here? Do you have internet, or not?

If you do not have internet, then there is your problem. It's also possible that your Ethernet port is broken.

But it's really difficult to help you when you confuse us with contradicting facts.

KF81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I think i have solved the problem anyway. Maybe i was a bit too hasty to post here as i figured it out just after.

Sorry for the confusion, it was not done on purpose !

Kevin

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think i have solved the problem anyway. Maybe i was a bit too hasty to post here as i figured it out just after.

Sorry for the confusion, it was not done on purpose !

Kevin
Glad to hear it Kevin. Don't get me wrong, I was not yelling. I was just trying to point out that things were confusing. If you need any further help, don't hesitate to ask. Just be more clear with your questions is all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.