PDA

View Full Version : samsung note 3 why do use them! and who is buying them.

msarway
Sep 15, 2013, 11:49 AM
i am curious to why people buy the notes. i was in the store the other day and i just don't understand why and who are buying the samsung notes.

matttye
Sep 15, 2013, 11:50 AM
I understand their appeal and the functionality is great. I just can't bring myself to use such a large phone.

Lots of people use them; they're very popular.

maflynn
Sep 15, 2013, 11:52 AM
i am curious to why people buy the notes. i was in the store the other day and i just don't understand why and who are buying the samsung notes.

I would say people who prefer a larger phone.

Perhaps you should further define what exactly you don't understand.

I'm on the fence to owning one. I'm tempted to buy one, precisely because the phone is larger. I'm so entrenched with iOS (using iWork, iCal, Address book, iTunes, etc) that its a huge transition for me. I've been on Android before, so I understand what I need to do.

Back on topic, One size does not fit all, and so a larger phone meets the needs of some consumers.

Dontazemebro
Sep 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
I'm 6 foot 4 with large hands and not everybody sees these note sized devices as gargantuan oddities that can't be wielded.

IMO the 5" - 5.7/5.8" is the sweet spot.

Fernandez21
Sep 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
I carry two phones, and with my personal phone I rarely make any phone calls, I do most of those on my iPhone. So my main use for my personal phone with unlimited data is to text, stream Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and HBO GO, surf the web, and play video games. All of those things are much better with a larger display. I also found the Note 2 to be the limit in size I want on a phone, any bigger and it would just be too uncomfortable to carry.

To be fair, if I could only carry one phone to do everything I would want a phone around the size of the Moto X. An iPhone with a 4.7" edge to edge screen would be sweet.

MacRumorUser
Sep 15, 2013, 01:33 PM
I carry my smartphone and a sketchbook / notepad with me most places ago. The Note 3 replaces two things with one....

The Game 161
Sep 15, 2013, 02:04 PM
I love having a big screen to do things on. from texting, to internet usage, apps, games, videos.

I personally think it's useless having a small screen if you like to use the internet alot and feel the experience is better for gaming.

I love the fact on the note is the S pen. I use it alot on my note 8.0...using the S pen makes typing quickly so easier than normally typing wether it's for texting, or writing on forums or sending e-mails.

msarway
Sep 15, 2013, 02:26 PM
the reason i am asking is because i have a 2nd line unused and i was thinking of getting the note3. i have iPads i have the moto X and i was just trying to see i needed to get one .

NuggetSauce
Sep 15, 2013, 02:33 PM
I think those large phones are well suited towards people who don't use tablets, as it's a good compromise.

I'm fine with the screen size of my iPhone 5 because it's supplemented with my tablet. My phone is only used on the go, and I like that its slim and fits nicely in the smallest of pockets. When I am home on my couch or bed, the larger screen of the tablet is perfect.

Eth123
Sep 16, 2013, 06:58 AM
Simple, people who use their phone for the web/apps.

I have unlimited calls and texts on my contract but it wouldnt be unusual for me to use zero minutes and zero text in a month.

All my contacting is through apps and online. I therefore much prefer a larger screen.

I also carry around a nexus 7 with me but can leave that behind sometimes knowing I have a screen size like the note 2or 3.

Jibbajabba
Sep 16, 2013, 07:40 AM
I commute a lot on train and I used to use my Galaxy S3 and tethered my Nexus 7 and watched movies. I never use my phone for calls really - receiving - sometimes, making calls - hardly. So the Note ticks all the boxes. IF I get a call, I can take it - but I use it mostly as tablet. And no, I couldn't care less how silly it may look - besides, it is just a bit bigger than the S3/4 and the likes.

dingster1
Sep 16, 2013, 08:11 AM
I'm looking at a Note so I can leave my iPad at home. I also rarely get or make phone calls, everything is texts(work nights) and emails.

Cnasty
Sep 16, 2013, 10:26 AM
I'm looking at a Note so I can leave my iPad at home. I also rarely get or make phone calls, everything is texts(work nights) and emails.

This is me as well.

Work emails the most during the week and then the internet for casual use. A larger device will be beautiful as my S3 has done me well but really looking forward to this larger screen.

Not sure I will ever use the S pen though which may be a waste.

JaySoul
Sep 16, 2013, 10:52 AM
If I commuted on trains for hours a day, I'd definitely want a Note to surf on, load boxsets of videos onto properly and read Kindle books on.

The attraction is pretty clear, and also for women with handbags.

mclld
Sep 16, 2013, 12:30 PM
Shocking as it sounds, not everyone likes the same stuff

Carlanga
Sep 16, 2013, 12:45 PM
If a phone doesn't fit in my pocket I don't consider it.
Holsters and clips are horrible and after a while can be uncomfortable and even painful.
If i was a female, then I might consider a note, but I'm not gonna go and buy a man purse just to hold my phone everywhere I go.

The Game 161
Sep 16, 2013, 12:50 PM
Holsters and clips are horrible and after a while can be uncomfortable and even painful.
If i was a female, then I might consider a note, but I'm not gonna go and buy a man purse just to hold my phone everywhere I go.

You must have the smallest jeans if the phone wouldn't fit in your pocket.

stevenlangley1
Sep 16, 2013, 12:53 PM

My note 2 fits in every pair of pants i have, so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

Carlanga
Sep 16, 2013, 01:02 PM
You must have the smallest jeans if the phone wouldn't fit in your pocket.

My note 2 fits in every pair of pants i have, so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

You guys must be NBA size or fat.

Maybe I should have added the words 'fit comfortable'...

This guy can explain it visually: (old video, but size is more or less the same)
8P1C_uKhKFA

spinedoc77
Sep 16, 2013, 01:09 PM

This guy can explain it visually: (old video, but size is more or less the same)
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=8P1C_uKhKFA)

It's comfortable if you are standing, but when you sit the phone is too long and pushes against your hip, at times you feel like you might break it. Forget about driving and trying to pull it out of your pants.

I'm 5'10", 200lbs with a low bodyfat %, and no tight jeans here.

stevenlangley1
Sep 16, 2013, 01:12 PM

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=8P1C_uKhKFA)

Nah I'm 5'11" 190lbs. I can understand that it might not be ideal or comfortable for everyone, but for me what little discomfort I experience with having it in my jeans is offset by my love for the device. But again that's just me and that's why it's great that there are so many options out there for devices.

The Game 161
Sep 16, 2013, 01:13 PM
It's comfortable if you are standing, but when you sit the phone is too long and pushes against your hip, at times you feel like you might break it. Forget about driving and trying to pull it out of your pants.

I'm 5'10", 200lbs with a low bodyfat %, and no tight jeans here.

Thats the same for any phone you have though in fairness..

spinedoc77
Sep 16, 2013, 01:21 PM
Thats the same for any phone you have though in fairness..

What?!? I can have my ip5 in my front pocket and literally not feel like it's there, even sitting and driving. Something like a S4 I begin to feel a bit. Neither of those phones come anywhere near my hip.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down the Note 3, I am heavily considering buying it over the 5s in fact. I just think others should have the benefit of an honest review. There is some comfort loss, how much depends on the person. And as someone else said, it's a fair trade off with what you are getting.

The Game 161
Sep 16, 2013, 01:23 PM
What?!? I can have my ip5 in my front pocket and literally not feel like it's there, even sitting and driving. Something like a S4 I begin to feel a bit. Neither of those phones come anywhere near my hip.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down the Note 3, I am heavily considering buying it over the 5s in fact. I just think others should have the benefit of an honest review. There is some comfort loss, how much depends on the person. And as someone else said, it's a fair trade off with what you are getting.

With the iphone 5 I would agree...anything over 4.8-5. yeah I'm sure you would notice it.

Donvald
Sep 16, 2013, 01:58 PM
Hmm.. I guess its something you get used to over time. I have my Galaxy Note 2 in a Zero Lemon case and put that in my pocket. it adds three times the thickness to the device, but it fits in my front pocket and although I'm conscious of it being there, I find it acceptable.

Without the zero lemon extended battery case, the note fits easily and I hardly notice it. However, I usually put mobile devices regardless of their size in my inner pocket (jacket) in any event.

Cnasty
Sep 16, 2013, 02:47 PM
Who drives with their phone in their pocket anyways? Maybe Im the weird one.

mellofello
Sep 16, 2013, 04:33 PM
I'm 6foot2 and line backer big. It is comical how small a iPhone looks in my gorilla hands. Note 3 is perfectly proportioned to me. I can use my note 2 with 1 hand.

Conversely I work with a very slight Asian guy who is about 5foot7 or so. He also carries a note and has no issues fitting it into his jeans. Unless you are a hipster in your girlfriends jeggings it is no big deal.

Up until I switched from iPhone I used 2-3 GB per month. Once I switched I now use 6+. I can do pretty much everything with the note and it has become my main computer.

I shoot off 50 emails, and 100s of texts per day. The s voice, and swype keyboards are invaluable and work wayyyyyy better then the iOS keyboard.

Watching videos on the note is a joy. I never wanted to squint to see video on the iPhone. Now whenever I have some time to burn I fire up YouTube and can watch things with a nice size screen.

Note doubters will be instant converts once they spend a few weeks with it.

Oohara
Sep 16, 2013, 04:36 PM
The size thing is a tradeoff. Obviously a Note won't be as comfortable in jeans pockets as an iPhone. Just like it's much more difficult to operate one handed. I choose to put up with the hassle though, because the advantages clearly outweigh that slight discomfort.

Savor
Sep 17, 2013, 06:20 AM
Alot of Filipinos here in Manila love them.

I can ask the same questions why people BUY tablets or carry around BOTH an iPhone and iPad on some days? GNotes is like a compromise. Very popular with females who like S-pen or can carry it in a purse with a folding case.

Technology is all abt getting used to it. Remember when iPhones came out, alot of people hated texting on them? People stuck to QWERTY like BlackBerry around 2007-2009. Then people got used to typing without tactile feedback. Changing is abt adjusting to new things. I didnt think I could own such a tall phone like an HTC One but it qas a matter of time I got used to the size.

Personally the perfect size for me is between the Nexus One at 3.7 screen and Sony Xperia acro S at 4.3 screen. But it all depends on the overall dimensions too and what material is used on the back. Going beyond 4.5 inch screens stops being pocket friendly to me.

spinedoc77
Sep 17, 2013, 07:43 AM
Alot of Filipinos here in Manila love them.

I can ask the same questions why people BUY tablets or carry around BOTH an iPhone and iPad on some days? GNotes is like a compromise. Very popular with females who like S-pen or can carry it in a purse with a folding case.

Technology is all abt getting used to it. Remember when iPhones came out, alot of people hated texting on them? People stuck to QWERTY like BlackBerry around 2007-2009. Then people got used to typing without tactile feedback. Changing is abt adjusting to new things. I didnt think I could own such a tall phone like an HTC One but it qas a matter of time I got used to the size.

Personally the perfect size for me is between the Nexus One at 3.7 screen and Sony Xperia acro S at 4.3 screen. But it all depends on the overall dimensions too and what material is used on the back. Going beyond 4.5 inch screens stops being pocket friendly to me.

That's the main thing for me, not carrying a tablet around. But I've found that the Note isn't quite ready to replace my tablet. But I think the best tablet is the one you actually have with you, and if I leave my tablet behind because I don't want to carry it then the note suddenly becomes a better tablet simply because it is available.

I can't wait for foldable screens so we can have a largish tablet which can be folded into a smaller phone. Until then the Note seems like the best solution.

aneftp
Sep 17, 2013, 07:47 AM
I am going to get Note 3 on subsidy with ATT. But I ain't going to pay $299 on contract.

I pretty much know ATT and other carriers pay way less than MSRP for all phones except iPhone. So you have a lot more room for haggling with customer service.

Just called them and they already said yes to $199 pricing. Maybe should have asked for $150 pricing. Ha. But I have to wait till its actually released to call them back. I had them note it on my account.

So don't pay $299 pricing for the Note 3. ATT still would rather give u a discount than have to sell an iPhone. Their subsides are less by selling the Note 3 cause we all know carriers subsidize iPhone 40% more than other phones (per Sprint CEO).

spinedoc77
Sep 17, 2013, 01:22 PM
Who drives with their phone in their pocket anyways? Maybe Im the weird one.

You're right, also who the heck even sits with their phone in their pocket? Unheard of...

Nabooly
Sep 17, 2013, 01:55 PM
I'm 5'6" with small hands. Phone fits perfectly in my pockets. One handed operation is somewhat limited for me, but thats a small trade off for the large, beautiful screen. It's not for everyone.

nick_elt
Sep 17, 2013, 02:18 PM

when I had an iPhone i thought the same but i jumped in got a note 2 and am not looking back. the size is perfect, fits in all my pockets fine and now when i pick up my wife's 4s I can't believe that so many ppl use such small screens still.

----------

note 2 fits fine in all of my pockets. its not that big

Cnasty
Sep 17, 2013, 03:20 PM
Maybe we need a fashion section and compare phone sizes and which phones fit into which pockets?

i mean it cant be worse to the merry go around, repetitive drivel of Android vs iphone discussions currently dominating this section of the forum.

F123D
Sep 17, 2013, 05:59 PM
I am going to get Note 3 on subsidy with ATT. But I ain't going to pay $299 on contract.

I pretty much know ATT and other carriers pay way less than MSRP for all phones except iPhone. So you have a lot more room for haggling with customer service.

Just called them and they already said yes to $199 pricing. Maybe should have asked for $150 pricing. Ha. But I have to wait till its actually released to call them back. I had them note it on my account.

So don't pay $299 pricing for the Note 3. ATT still would rather give u a discount than have to sell an iPhone. Their subsides are less by selling the Note 3 cause we all know carriers subsidize iPhone 40% more than other phones (per Sprint CEO).

What do you usually say or ask for? I've always spoken to the cancellation dept and they've given me discounts on service and credit towards future bills. Never gotten a discount of the actual phone though.

appledes7
Sep 17, 2013, 08:31 PM
I'm 6 foot 4 with large hands and not everybody sees these note sized devices as gargantuan oddities that can't be wielded.

IMO the 5" - 5.7/5.8" is the sweet spot.

I'm 6'4 with large hands as well. 5.7" is still a huge phone.

When I played baseball, there was one thing you needed to do in order to determine if your bat was too heavy for you. Hold it at the very end with one hand and extend your arm out completely straight. If you can hold it for 15 seconds no problem, then you are good.

With a phone, I think there is a test to determine if it is too big for one handed use. Grab you phone with one hand. Get on your bed and lay on your back. Hold your phone up directly above your face. Without adjusting your grip, touch all 4 corners of the display. If you can do this without adjusting your grip, you can comfortably use your phone with one hand.

Even with the Nexus 4's 4.7" display, I can't touch all 4 corners without adjusting my grip. The display is just too big for one handed use. Normally we don't realize it because we can adjust our grip easily thanks to gravity. But doing this laying on our back shows us how much we rely on gravity to maneuver our phones. And I think if we have to rely on gravity more so than an actual grip, we are not holding our phones securely. Meaning if someone were to accidentally bump into us, it is much more likely that our phone will fall out of our hands because we don't always have a good grip on it thanks to us always having to maneuver our grip.

I'm not saying we shouldn't buy a phone if it doesn't pass this test. I am just simply saying that phone screen sizes have long passed the point of comfortable one-handed use without having to adjust our grip.

weespeed
Sep 18, 2013, 12:14 AM
Why is there even a test for one handed use?
Who said that a smartphone needs to be one handed?

That argument is lame and was put out by iPhone users to justify why they have a 3.5" and now a 4" long screen.

If you like a bigger screen get it. If you don't then get something else.

Dontazemebro
Sep 18, 2013, 05:26 AM

When I played baseball, there was one thing you needed to do in order to determine if your bat was too heavy for you. Hold it at the very end with one hand and extend your arm out completely straight. If you can hold it for 15 seconds no problem, then you are good.

With a phone, I think there is a test to determine if it is too big for one handed use. Grab you phone with one hand. Get on your bed and lay on your back. Hold your phone up directly above your face. Without adjusting your grip, touch all 4 corners of the display. If you can do this without adjusting your grip, you can comfortably use your phone with one hand.

Even with the Nexus 4's 4.7" display, I can't touch all 4 corners without adjusting my grip. The display is just too big for one handed use. Normally we don't realize it because we can adjust our grip easily thanks to gravity. But doing this laying on our back shows us how much we rely on gravity to maneuver our phones. And I think if we have to rely on gravity more so than an actual grip, we are not holding our phones securely. Meaning if someone were to accidentally bump into us, it is much more likely that our phone will fall out of our hands because we don't always have a good grip on it thanks to us always having to maneuver our grip.

I'm not saying we shouldn't buy a phone if it doesn't pass this test. I am just simply saying that phone screen sizes have long passed the point of comfortable one-handed use without having to adjust our grip.

I'm sorry to say but someone lied to you. You sir do not have large hands. I'm in bed right now and I'm gripping my S4 at all 4 corners with no re-grip. Not sure about baseball but when I played on the All Army basketball team, I could easily palm a basketball.

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 18, 2013, 06:38 AM
I don't come across many people in daily life who own the Note, although I hear they are very popular. I was looking at the Note 2 in a shop the other day and its a lovely device. A bigger version of my old S3 really. The thing is just huge though! I can't see how it would be practical unless you carried a bag or wore baggy trousers of jeans, and I really can't see past the size. Its an instant negative for me. Its a fabulous device in its own right though and it has its market obviously.

mclld
Sep 18, 2013, 07:29 AM
Why is there even a test for one handed use?
Who said that a smartphone needs to be one handed?

That argument is lame and was put out by iPhone users to justify why they have a 3.5" and now a 4" long screen.

If you like a bigger screen get it. If you don't then get something else.

this

mattopotamus
Sep 18, 2013, 07:52 AM
I don't come across many people in daily life who own the Note, although I hear they are very popular. I was looking at the Note 2 in a shop the other day and its a lovely device. A bigger version of my old S3 really. The thing is just huge though! I can't see how it would be practical unless you carried a bag or wore baggy trousers of jeans, and I really can't see past the size. Its an instant negative for me. Its a fabulous device in its own right though and it has its market obviously.

b.c it is so thin, it does not actually feel that giant. It actually felt smaller in my pocket than the 4S b.c it is flatter if that makes sense.

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 18, 2013, 08:01 AM
b.c it is so thin, it does not actually feel that giant. It actually felt smaller in my pocket than the 4S b.c it is flatter if that makes sense.
It still felt huge in my pocket I have to say. I'm not the biggest person in the world 5' 7" and quite slim, so a device like that looks silly in my pocket. It looked like a big rectangle nearly the size of my thigh! Its also awkward in my small hands too. Just too big for my tastes. :)

Navdakilla
Sep 18, 2013, 08:57 AM
I have a couple of co-workers that have them.. barely use them to talk, they are basically tablets.. (which are not really allowed at work). Since its actually a phone, they use their phones to browse/play etc on all day lol

mjb1975
Sep 18, 2013, 11:30 AM
Loved my Note 2, love my S4 and like what I see from the Note 3....but. I said if Apple ever caught up to Android I would most likely go back to the iPhone. With the 5s and iOS 7, looks like that time has come.

appledes7
Sep 18, 2013, 12:02 PM
I'm sorry to say but someone lied to you. You sir do not have large hands. I'm in bed right now and I'm gripping my S4 at all 4 corners with no re-grip. Not sure about baseball but when I played on the All Army basketball team, I could easily palm a basketball.

If we are trying to have a set size for easy comparison, I too can easily palm a basketball. I have been able to since I was about 16.

Maybe you misunderstood. You don't grip the phone at all 4 corners, you hold it in your normal grip while on your back. Then with your thumb, try and touch all 4 corners without adjusting your grip. You don't grip the 4 corners, you need to be able to touch all 4 corners with gravity pulling the phone down onto you. And you need to be able to do it comfortably.

Also the S4 does not have a 5.7" screen. Go back to my original post and this is what I started with:

daveathall
Sep 18, 2013, 12:32 PM
Why would one want to touch all four corners of the display? One's apps don't need to be in the corners and the keyboard appears about a third of the way up or the bottom of the screen, so for everyday one handed use it is possible. What is this fixation on the corners? It is only on an Apple device that the one place one must always have an app is the top left corner. (Unless of course one has no apps).

Just for balance, I would not need a phone as large as a Note 3 and prefer the size of my Galaxy S4, but thats me, those that prefer larger have that option with the Note.

appledes7
Sep 18, 2013, 12:47 PM
Why would one want to touch all four corners of the display? One's apps don't need to be in the corners and the keyboard appears about a third of the way up or the bottom of the screen, so for everyday one handed use it is possible. What is this fixation on the corners? It is only on an Apple device that the one place one must always have an app is the top left corner. (Unless of course one has no apps).

Just for balance, I would not need a phone as large as a Note 3 and prefer the size of my Galaxy S4, but thats me, those that prefer larger have that option with the Note.

Never said we need to touch all 4 corners. Please read carefully.

daveathall
Sep 18, 2013, 12:51 PM
Never said we need to touch all 4 corners. Please read carefully.

No?

I didn't, I said why would one want to touch all four corners? Please read carefully.

But you did, I have bolded it to make it easier for you to see what you typed;

Then with your thumb, try and touch all 4 corners without adjusting your grip. You don't grip the 4 corners, you need to be able to touch all 4 corners with gravity pulling the phone down onto you. And you need to be able to do it comfortably.

Please read and remember your own posts carefully.:rolleyes:

mjb1975
Sep 18, 2013, 01:09 PM
Wow, this forum is filled with children it appears. Who cares if someone prefers iOS to Android or a smaller phone to a larger one? How does this effect YOU and YOUR life?

appledes7
Sep 18, 2013, 03:14 PM
No?

I didn't, I said why would one want to touch all four corners? Please read carefully.

But you did, I have bolded it to make it easier for you to see what you typed;

Please read and remember your own posts carefully.:rolleyes:

Understand context. That first quote you took out of context was in reference to you saying people don't want to touch all 4 corners of the display.

The second one you took out of context was in reference to the mini "test" I detailed earlier.

For most day to day operations, you don't need to be able to hit all 4 corners. To use a phone 100% of the time without ever having to adjust your grip, you do need to be able to hit all 4 corners. It is simple. Just understand context.

daveathall
Sep 18, 2013, 03:58 PM
Understand context. That first quote you took out of context was in reference to you saying people don't want to touch all 4 corners of the display.

Nope, why do you keep mis quoting me? I asked why. It's quite simple, go back and read what I said, I even repeated it for you on my last post and I will provide you with a quote, please read it carefully. Please quote me showing where I said "people don't want to touch all 4 corners on the display"

Why would one want to touch all four corners of the display?

The second one you took out of context was in reference to the mini "test" I detailed earlier.

For most day to day operations, you don't need to be able to hit all 4 corners. To use a phone 100% of the time without ever having to adjust your grip, you do need to be able to hit all 4 corners. It is simple. Just understand context.

I do understand context, just that you don't understand what you typed, I quoted you fully bolding the relevant piece, do you even know what context means? Try and keep up. Before you try and be clever and patronise members ("Please read carefully"), look at your own posts' you may not look as foolish next time.

But the question remains unanswered. Why do you need to be able to touch all four corners? Or do you still deny typing that? I bolded it again and quoted my original question to help you out.

Why would one want to touch all four corners of the display?

appledes7
Sep 18, 2013, 09:57 PM
Nope, why do you keep mis quoting me? I asked why. It's quite simple, go back and read what I said, I even repeated it for you on my last post and I will provide you with a quote, please read it carefully. Please quote me showing where I said "people don't want to touch all 4 corners on the display"

I do understand context, just that you don't understand what you typed, I quoted you fully bolding the relevant piece, do you even know what context means? Try and keep up. Before you try and be clever and patronise members ("Please read carefully"), look at your own posts' you may not look as foolish next time.

But the question remains unanswered. Why do you need to be able to touch all four corners? Or do you still deny typing that? I bolded it again and quoted my original question to help you out.

You clearly keep misunderstanding everything I say. And at this point all you are doing is trying to argue with me.

daveathall
Sep 19, 2013, 12:54 AM
You clearly keep misunderstanding everything I say. And at this point all you are doing is trying to argue with me.

No, I didn't honestly wish to argue with you, I asked a simple question.

"Why would anyone want to touch all 4 corners of the screen"

All I am asking is an answer to your statement, it may be that there is something that I hadn't considered, it was IMHO a fair question and not a challenge, I had countered the point with why I thought that one didn't need too and was open to a counter debate.

Perhaps if you didn't patronise members with a snide comment ("please read carefully") the debate could have been concluded civilly.

I know that one handed use is important for some and can accept that fact, I use my phone almost exclusively one handed, but, it certainly isn't a deal breaker for me. (My phone is a SGS4).

fr33 loader
Sep 19, 2013, 12:56 AM

I think you've watched too much of that Apple Ad. Brain washing I say..
Comfort is a personal thing, my friend says txting with one hand is most uncomfortable for her.

appledes7
Sep 19, 2013, 01:35 AM
No, I didn't honestly wish to argue with you, I asked a simple question.

"Why would anyone want to touch all 4 corners of the screen"

All I am asking is an answer to your statement, it may be that there is something that I hadn't considered, it was IMHO a fair question and not a challenge, I had countered the point with why I thought that one didn't need too and was open to a counter debate.

Perhaps if you didn't patronise members with a snide comment ("please read carefully") the debate could have been concluded civilly.

I know that one handed use is important for some and can accept that fact, I use my phone almost exclusively one handed, but, it certainly isn't a deal breaker for me. (My phone is a SGS4).

I think you've watched too much of that Apple Ad. Brain washing I say..
Comfort is a personal thing, my friend says txting with one hand is most uncomfortable for her.

I think you two are both missing the point. But before I get to it, let me put fr33 loader's judgment to rest. I sold all my iOS devices in favor of Android devices. Why you assume I am brainwashed by Apple I have no idea. It is expected for Android users to blindly follow Google and iOS users to blindly follow Apple. But apparently it is so unheard of that an Android users says something even remotely negative about Android devices that you have to resort to saying they are brainwashed? That is pretty sad.

I do not buy my phone based on one handed use. I do not think you have to be able to reach all 4 corners of a phone to use it for basic functions. Most functions are basic and scrolling that are within easy reach of one thumb for those with normal sized hands even on a 5" phone.

When I was talking about needing to reach all 4 corners, it was in relation to holding your phone above you with gravity pulling it down towards your face in that "mini test" I brought up earlier. When you do that while laying on your back, you don't have gravity to aid in your grip adjustment. So doing that to see if you can reach all 4 corners is a good indicator to seeing if the phone is too big for 100% comfortable one-handed use without adjusting your grip.

Oohara
Sep 19, 2013, 08:42 AM
Are the details of what one handed use specifically entails really that important here? It's pretty obvious that those considering themselves able to comfortably use any Note-series device with one hand at all times are at least in the clear minority, I think we can all admit that.

It's a tradeoff, simple as that. Sometimes it bothers me that I can't just whip out my Note 2 and quick dial a friend or check the bus times with one hand. But overall I don't care. What I get instead more than makes up for it - a device that is far more portable than a tablet, while offering a screen large enough for much more comfortable reading, web surfing, watching Youtube vids or whatever than I ever get with an iPhone-size screen.

Can I use it comfortably with one hand, all the time? Nope. Does it fit comfortably in the pockets of all my pants? Nope. But does that matter? Nope. If that matters more to you than the advantages you get with a large phone screen - just get a smaller phone.

Savor
Sep 23, 2013, 02:52 AM
Smaller screen advantages over bigger screens -
-More pocketable
-Easier to use one-handed
-Easier to listen to music while exercising

Bigger screen advantages over smaller screens -
-Web browsing
-Better viewing for videos, photos, and books
-Better gaming experiences
-Ability to open multiple apps
-More immersive
-Easier to find if it gets lost (bigger physical attributes gives more awareness it is there)

There are trade-offs. For people who value more pocket-friendly phones, I can see why they stick to iPhones. For people who refuse viewing content and the web on such a small screen, I can see why they moved onto phablets.

LG claimed their G2 reaches the max dimension for one-handed use. I say 135-140mm height, 65-70mm width, and 7-10mm thickness is already the upper-end for one-handed use. But NOT all hand sizes are the same. An average hand can be too big for someone else. The current S4 and HTC One is like a middle ground for pocket-friendly one-handed use while getting some benefits of larger screened phablets.

GNotes are a middle ground of 3-4 incher phones vs 6-7 incher tablet experiences. There are tradeoffs to everything no different than getting a SUV vs Sedan/Coupe or 27-inch HDTV vs 50-inch HDTV for more of an IMMERSIVE experience. No right or wrong here. Depends on preferences and which benefits are you most comfortable with.