Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have a 15" powerbook, the generation beforew the current one. All of my keys require to be pushed all the way down for the press to register, like you would expect. Except, for my "w" key. I barley have to tap it for the click to register. This gets annyoing, because sometimes when I type a "w", an extra "w" gets in there because of this. Or, if I hit apple+w to close a Firefox tab or window, occasionally, the press of the "w" will be registered twice because I guess it gets registered once when I place my finger on the key and press it down like half a millimeter, and then once again when I actually push it down. It's almost like it's a touch sensitive key, I literally barley have to touch it to get it to work. It's definitley one of the stranger problems I've heard of. I want to take off the key to see if there's anything under there, but I tried pulling it up and couldn't get it to budge and didn't want to break it. Plus, I didn't know if there was anything special under there for the backlit keyboard. Anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
perhaps you've been gaming too much? try switching the walk key to e or something, although that's less convenient, or turn auto-walk if a particular game supports it. see if the problem persists after you've been doing that for awhile. if it does, or if you don't game on your powerbook i have no idea what the problem could be.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
homerjward said:
perhaps you've been gaming too much? try switching the walk key to e or something, although that's less convenient, or turn auto-walk if a particular game supports it. see if the problem persists after you've been doing that for awhile. if it does, or if you don't game on your powerbook i have no idea what the problem could be.

The only games I play on here are dumb flash games that usually require the use of the mouse. In other words, I'm certainly not much of a gamer ;)

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
BOth of the powerbooks I've owned (667Mhz TiBook and current 15" Al) shipped with keyboards with the exact same problem. On my TiBook it was the "0" key I believe. On my current powerbook it was the "L". In the first case I called Apple immediatly and they shipped over a replacement keyboard (it was user replacable). In the second case I visited my local apple store, handed over my powerbook and while i went to my afternoon lectures they replaced the keyboard.
I had tried checking out what was going on under the keys, but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. If you're still under warranty get the keyboard replaced!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Could the sensor under the key have worked its way loose and is now riding underneath the key instead of being on some board under there?

Maybe you have something stuck under the key (use your imagination) and that is acting like an intermediary, pushing down extra far.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
Have you tried adjusting the key repeat rates under System Preferences to see if anything changes with regard to this problem? If it affects it maybe it's a driver issue. I know, screams unlikely but it's something that hasn't been suggested yet.

Are you using any hacks? Maybe something is conflicting with your keys repeat rate?

All speculation, but perhaps it will help.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
He did mention all other keys are fine, so I doubt it is a software issue.

Maybe the spring underneath his W got worn off?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
yg17 said:
Are the individual keys removeable? I don't want to break anything.

Nah. You have 1 year of AppleCare even if you didn't pay for it, so head on down to an AppleStore and say "Please fix?"

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Mechcozmo said:
Nah. You have 1 year of AppleCare even if you didn't pay for it, so head on down to an AppleStore and say "Please fix?"

Yeah, I'll have to do that. Not this weekend though, I'm not going anywhere near a mall. Ugh.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Aaaah, this is the case with my brand new, previous generation 15" too: the 's' key does the same thing. I barely have to touch it at all. All other keys require that I press down.

I'll have to take it in on Monday. Hopefully they don't need to send it in and can just exchange the keyboard there. Hopefully...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
PDE said:
Aaaah, this is the case with my brand new, previous generation 15" too: the 's' key does the same thing. I barely have to touch it at all. All other keys require that I press down.

I'll have to take it in on Monday. Hopefully they don't need to send it in and can just exchange the keyboard there. Hopefully...

I believe that depending on the size of the store, they are able to change the keyboard in-store. The one in UTC does some repairs in-house, but other Apple Stores do not.

yg17 said:
Yeah, I'll have to do that. Not this weekend though, I'm not going anywhere near a mall. Ugh.
This is the start of the Christmas season. Screw happiness and joy, get out of the way before I run you down with my cart! :rolleyes:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Uh, now its working fine. Only thing I did was put my Powerbook to sleep, go to work, and woke it up. Now I have to push it down as hard as the other keys. Weird indeed, lets hope it stays fixed though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.