PDA

View Full Version : How's This?

Simplistic
Nov 26, 2005, 01:33 AM
I have a new iBook. Well, actually, it's an old one. And used. Doesn't matter. I'm happy to just have an Apple notebook. Anyway, here are the specs:

iBook G3 800Mhz
30GB
384RAM
CDRW/DVD Combo
12" LCD
Airport Card

Even I know 800Mhz is very weak, but would you say this is a "good enough" iBook?

mad jew
Nov 26, 2005, 01:37 AM
Well, what do you want to use it for? :)

What operating system does it have?

Simplistic
Nov 26, 2005, 01:38 AM
I'm going to use it mostly for managing my iTunes and surfing the web.

I don't have it right now, it's in the mail. But I'm told it comes with the latest version of OS X installed. Tiger.

Daedalus256
Nov 26, 2005, 01:40 AM
I rather like the G3 iBooks and almost bought an 800mhz one myself until I got an amazing deal on my 15" Powerbook. Enjoy your new mac :)

Simplistic
Nov 26, 2005, 01:45 AM
Thanks, Daedalus256. I know I will.

mfacey
Nov 26, 2005, 01:50 AM
Tiger might be pushing its limits. My old tibook (667 Mhz G4 with 512MB Ram) runs it, but its far from snappy. You should see how it runs. You could always make a step down to 10.3.

Seasought
Nov 26, 2005, 01:58 AM
I have a new iBook. Well, actually, it's an old one. And used. Doesn't matter. I'm happy to just have an Apple notebook. Anyway, here are the specs:

iBook G3 800Mhz
30GB
384RAM
CDRW/DVD Combo
12" LCD
Airport Card

Even I know 800Mhz is very weak, but would you say this is a "good enough" iBook?

Congrats on your purchase. Assuming it can support more, my only advice would be more RAM to offset your slightly slower processor.

I think you'll enjoy it as is though, post and let us know!
:D

Simplistic
Nov 26, 2005, 01:58 AM
Tiger might be pushing its limits. My old tibook (667 Mhz G4 with 512MB Ram) runs it, but its far from snappy. You should see how it runs. You could always make a step down to 10.3.

Wait, did you say G4 with 667Mhz? That doesn't sound right to me. If my iBook is a G3, your iBook should have more Mhz than mine. Or maybe I don't understand anything about this sort of thing...

And yeah, I probably will end up going down to 10.3.

To Seasought; yes, I'll think about more RAM. I will let you know how it turns out. Should be good.

.:*Robot Boy*:.
Nov 26, 2005, 02:17 AM
Wait, did you say G4 with 667Mhz? That doesn't sound right to me. If my iBook is a G3, your iBook should have more Mhz than mine. Or maybe I don't understand anything about this sort of thing...

To Seasought; yes, I'll think about more RAM. I will let you know how it turns out. Should be good.

Due to it's significantly more advanced architecture, the G4 processor will be more powerful than the G3 processor - even at a lower clock speed.

Your iBook has 128MB of RAM soldered to the logic board and is capable of supporting 640MB of RAM. You can replace the 256MB PC100 SO-DIMM module that you currently have installed with a 512MB module (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iBooks-PowerBooks/G3-iBook/) and max out the RAM for about $100.

Enjoy your iBook :)

Seasought
Nov 26, 2005, 02:18 AM
You can replace the 256MB PC100 SO-DIMM module that you currently have installed with a 512MB module and max out the RAM for about $100.

Now we're talkin' ;).

Simplistic
Nov 26, 2005, 02:18 AM
Good stuff.

mfacey
Nov 26, 2005, 02:34 AM

Like another poster already mentioned, the G4 is significantly more powerful than the G3. Besides that its a powerbook, thus having more powerful components in general for the most part (like 64MB of Vram for example). Nonetheless, I would say try Tiger on your ibook. If its runs fine then leave it. It will help to leave the number of Widgets open to a minimum. Otherwise that $100 worth of ram will help quite a bit! Enjoy it!

Simplistic
Nov 28, 2005, 08:02 PM
Hey, so my iBook came in today. It's unbelievable. I love everything about it. It's speedy, it's pretty, and best of all, it's not Windows. I feel so much cleaner now using QuickTime and iTunes. I've never owned a laptop before so mobile computing is new and marvelous for me. I love Apple. I am a satisfied customer.

Seasought
Nov 29, 2005, 08:48 AM
Hey, so my iBook came in today. It's unbelievable. I love everything about it. It's speedy, it's pretty, and best of all, it's not Windows. I feel so much cleaner now using QuickTime and iTunes. I've never owned a laptop before so mobile computing is new and marvelous for me. I love Apple. I am a satisfied customer.

Excellent. I'm glad you're happy with your new purchase. I never fully gave mobile computing enough credit as I too am blown away with how great it is to be able to take your Mac with you.

Enjoy.

zudo
Nov 29, 2005, 10:01 AM
Due to it's significantly more advanced architecture, the G4 processor will be more powerful than the G3 processor - even at a lower clock speed.
Not that it matters but I think the confusion over this was because the guy with the powerbook called it a tibook (titanium powerbook as opposed to todays aluminium ones) and Simplistic thought he meant ibook. In which case it would be pretty weird to have a 667 G4 and a 800 G3 in the same product line...

Anyway, enjoy your new ibook, I'm sure you will

spencecb
Nov 29, 2005, 10:49 AM
Like another poster already mentioned, the G4 is significantly more powerful than the G3. Besides that its a powerbook, thus having more powerful components in general for the most part (like 64MB of Vram for example). Nonetheless, I would say try Tiger on your ibook. If its runs fine then leave it. It will help to leave the number of Widgets open to a minimum. Otherwise that $100 worth of ram will help quite a bit! Enjoy it!

Not to mention the two posters are confusing iBook's and tiBooks. A"tiBook" is a Titanium PowerBook...we just call them tiBooks around here to distinguish them from the current Aluminum PowerBooks.

Arcus
Nov 29, 2005, 11:16 AM

iBook G3 800Mhz
30GB
384RAM
CDRW/DVD Combo
12" LCD
Airport Card

I use my 700 G3 iBook every day. EMail, surfing, I do house improvement layouts in Appleworks drawing program. I even play quake and Age of empires on it. 800mhz is not weak. You have a great laptop there!!

rjphoto
Nov 29, 2005, 11:31 AM

iBook G3 800Mhz
30GB
384RAM
CDRW/DVD Combo
12" LCD
Airport Card

Just wondering, How much did you pay for it?

Simplistic
Nov 29, 2005, 03:14 PM
I paid $475 for this iBook. I was going to go all out and buy a brand new G4 from apple.com, but I hesitated and thought about my bank account. Anyway, it's not like I would be able to tell the difference between the two. From what I have right now, I say this is a really great notebook. A G4 would have had the same impact. Maybe.

The Mac community sure is nice. You're all nice and supportive people. I dig that. Thanks for all your kind words.