PDA

View Full Version : Reconsidering the Applecare equation on the MBA

clyde2801
Sep 15, 2013, 07:00 PM
I helped a friend of mine find a great deal on a 2012 11" i5/4gb/128 gb Air that was purchased right before the Haswell models were released. Like new, flawless.

She asked me about whether to purchase Applecare or not, and I advised her not to: a) MSRP on it costs roughly 40% of what she paid on it, and b) the Air (I told her) is a relatively robust solid state design that's been around long enough for the kinks and bugs to be worked out. Normally I hesitate to buy applecare if the price of it is 25% or more of what the laptop itself costs. Man, am I a schmuck.

Turns out she does have the dreaded 128gb Toshiba drive, so I had to reverse course and tell her it's probably advisable, especially if she buys it at a discount at B&H or something.

BUT...has anyone had any problem with the 2013 ssd's? I'm thinking I may have to break down and buy applecare, at the very least set a reminder for 45 days before my one year expires.

I'm worried about my drive now after hearing all the reports of the 2012's. I haven't heard anything about these marvell-sandisk blades, but they ARE a new technology, at least for Apple. And if Apple's having quality control issues for drives they've been selling now for 3 years, it does not bode well.

I wonder if this is going to be like the Nvidia 8600 video card, and be a systemic widespread problem in time. Hopefully Apple will do right by its customers and extend the warranty period on the Toshiba's like they did on the Nvidia's.

If they don't step forward voluntarily, I hope some sleaze bag lawyer brings a class action and makes them do it. If he earns himself six or seven figures in the process for his efforts, I wouldn't mind a bit.

flowrider
Sep 15, 2013, 11:41 PM
I bought my MBA using my Amazon Visa (I didn't buy from Amazon, but from B&H Photo). Anyway, I called last night, and it seems they extend the warranty by one year over the factory warranty. They encourage, don't require, a registration process, and I just received the forms (my MBA and my Mac Pro).

The form opens with this paragraph:

"Thank you for registering your product with the Extended Protection Program available exclusively through your eligible credit card. To complete your registration, please make any additions or corrections to the information that you provided to us."

Lou

clyde2801
Sep 16, 2013, 01:29 AM
I bought my MBA using my Amazon Visa (I didn't buy from Amazon, but from B&H Photo). Anyway, I called last night, and it seems they extend the warranty by one year over the factory warranty. They encourage, don't require, a registration process, and I just received the forms (my MBA and my Mac Pro).

The form opens with this paragraph:

"Thank you for registering your product with the Extended Protection Program available exclusively through your eligible credit card. To complete your registration, please make any additions or corrections to the information that you provided to us."

Lou

Didn't use a credit card to buy this, natch. I'll just have to docket the date and see if any failures are reported by then. Though, in the case of the 2012's, that wouldn't have made any difference due to the failures only starting at 13 months after purchase.

RightMACatU
Sep 16, 2013, 06:30 AM
Whatís the first question people ask when shopping for a used Mac? [Annoying voice] Does it have AppleCare? [/]

Apple is the only company that successfully managed to brainwash its customers with the NEED to buy extended warranty and if you donít youíll have nightmares about it and swamp blogs about it.

Iíve owned several non-Mac laptops, PC towers, countless TVs, DVD/BR players, walkman over the last 30 years. All of them offered some kind of expensive extended warranty but none tried to put fear in me if I didnít take it.

Bottom line: Congrats to Apple. Youíve succeeded in securing extra revenues. Sorry but I donít bite!

clyde2801
Sep 16, 2013, 08:07 AM
What’s the first question people ask when shopping for a used Mac? [Annoying voice] Does it have AppleCare? [/]

Apple is the only company that successfully managed to brainwash its customers with the NEED to buy extended warranty and if you don’t you’ll have nightmares about it and swamp blogs about it.

I’ve owned several non-Mac laptops, PC towers, countless TVs, DVD/BR players, walkman over the last 30 years. All of them offered some kind of expensive extended warranty but none tried to put fear in me if I didn’t take it.

Bottom line: Congrats to Apple. You’ve succeeded in securing extra revenues. Sorry but I don’t bite!

Normally, I'd agree with you, but the reports of last year's toshiba ssd's failing while just barely out of basic warranty are causing me apprehension. Along with Apple currently not recognizing the problem or offering to extend the warranty for these troubling parts like they did for the defective Nvidia 8600 GPU's. And even if they do this at later time, it will still mean that a lot of people will either have to make expensive repairs or go without the use of a computer that they recently paid a minimum of $1k for.

Apple's used a design in it's 2012 SSD's that's ahead of the industry, which also makes it relatively scarce compared to 2.5mm drives and correspondingly more expensive. The 2013's even more so.

My first instinct is to not buy applecare for a base model Air, as it costs 25% of the cost of the machine, and the Air with its lack of moving parts should be relatively bulletproof. (OTOH, I'll not hesitate to do this for a high end machine, or a completely new design like the MBP Retina.) But it looks like this situation and Apple's reaction or lack thereof will have to be monitored. I'll probably continue to monitor this and make a decision before the year is up to sell, applecare up or roll the dice and go without it.

If this defect is as widespread as it appears to be, and Apple refuses to budge on it's stance, I could see it hurting Apple's reputation should this become common knowledge with consumers in general.

m98custom1212
Sep 16, 2013, 09:33 AM
Whatís the first question people ask when shopping for a used Mac? [Annoying voice] Does it have AppleCare? [/]

Apple is the only company that successfully managed to brainwash its customers with the NEED to buy extended warranty and if you donít youíll have nightmares about it and swamp blogs about it.

Iíve owned several non-Mac laptops, PC towers, countless TVs, DVD/BR players, walkman over the last 30 years. All of them offered some kind of expensive extended warranty but none tried to put fear in me if I didnít take it.

Bottom line: Congrats to Apple. Youíve succeeded in securing extra revenues. Sorry but I donít bite!

Lol me either. Cracks me up.. Macs are for more reliable. that's why i brought a three year warranty

clyde2801
Sep 16, 2013, 09:44 AM
Lol me either. Cracks me up.. Macs are for more reliable. that's why i brought a three year warranty

Eh, Apple now uses regular PC component manufacturers like everyone else does now. A samsung part in a mac is as reliable in a mac as the same part is in a PC. The only differences can be the quality control of the unit manufacturer and how they treat customers after the sale.

RightMACatU
Sep 16, 2013, 10:07 AM
My first instinct is to not buy applecare for a base model Air, as it costs 25% of the cost of the machine, and the Air with its lack of moving parts should be relatively bulletproof.

You have your answer then :)

Save that AppleCare $ and IF the SSD breaks use that saved money to get a 256GB SSD :D

m98custom1212
Sep 16, 2013, 10:14 AM
Eh, Apple now uses regular PC component manufacturers like everyone else does now. A samsung part in a mac is as reliable in a mac as the same part is in a PC. The only differences can be the quality control of the unit manufacturer and how they treat customers after the sale.

Thank You.. I was mocking "mac owners"

flowrider
Sep 16, 2013, 11:09 AM

Well, that's just great:mad:

Lou

clyde2801
Sep 16, 2013, 12:03 PM

Suspected as such. Just call me Mr. Literal. Let me introduce you to my teenage daughter, Ms. Ann Thropist.

magbarn
Sep 17, 2013, 11:21 AM
Hopefully, Apple does the RIGHT thing, find out what's killing these SSDs and if it's a software problem - fix it, or replace the drives with much more reliable Samsung/Sandisk SSD's. Until then, the very high failure rate (yes, they'll be naysayers stating 'all the complainers are on forums' - but get back to me when we start seeing Samsung SSDs dying in droves just like these craptastic Toshiba/Sandforce drives) does tilt in favor in getting Applecare.

Mr Rabbit
Sep 17, 2013, 11:41 AM
I wonder if this is going to be like the Nvidia 8600 video card, and be a systemic widespread problem in time. Hopefully Apple will do right by its customers and extend the warranty period on the Toshiba's like they did on the Nvidia's.

If it's widespread enough (high enough percentage) then Apple & Toshiba would likely work together to offer a repair extension program (REP) similar to the NVIDIA one several years ago.

With that said, I'd get AppleCare regardless of the SSD situation. Almost every part in the MacBook Air is proprietary, meaning options will be limited should something fail. Older MacBooks and MacBook Pros were a different story because you could swap RAM, hard drives, LCDs with little fuss since the parts were so widely available.

----------

yes, they'll be naysayers stating 'all the complainers are on forums'

I'm one of those naysayers because there are around 15 - 20 under my supervision (Mac admin for 150~ Macs) and not one has shown anything remotely similar to these problems. I have no doubt there are failures but I haven't, and neither have anyone else in my circle of Mac tech friends, seen any first hand despite having a good deal more exposure to these particular Macs than the average consumer.

calvol
Sep 17, 2013, 05:19 PM
You have your answer then :)

Save that AppleCare $ and IF the SSD breaks use that saved money to get a 256GB SSD :D

Agree with this. Also, consider there may be a mass recall on Toshiba 128's in the future.