PDA

View Full Version : How much does AppleCare increase the value of a machine you sell?

HarryWarden
Sep 15, 2013, 09:03 PM
Let's say you sell a MBA with 1 year left on the AppleCare warranty. How much extra can you charge for the value it brings?

firedept
Sep 15, 2013, 09:32 PM
Let's say you sell a MBA with 1 year left on the AppleCare warranty. How much extra can you charge for the value it brings?

I always offer the buyer the option of purchasing it from me at what it is worth prorated. Apple will prorate it and send you a cheque for the amount they determine, if the buyer does not agree to at least that price. As a buyer you would be silly not to pay at least something for it. Especially if the machine is outside the one year warranty period and you can no longer get Applecare.

617aircav
Sep 15, 2013, 09:38 PM

As much as the buyer is willing to pay. There is no magic or universal number. It's up to you.

FreakinEurekan
Sep 15, 2013, 10:18 PM

As @firedept says I would expect the prorated value, if they don't want to pay it cancel the APP and get the refund. With 12 months left you'd be looking at $83.00 ($249 36 x 12 = $83.00)

clyde2801
Sep 16, 2013, 02:08 AM
As @firedept says I would expect the prorated value, if they don't want to pay it cancel the APP and get the refund. With 12 months left you'd be looking at $83.00 ($249 36 x 12 = $83.00)

But he's wanting to sell it at one year, not two. Since the buyer would be getting two years of protection, wouldn't it be $163?

FreakinEurekan
Sep 16, 2013, 06:27 AM
But he's wanting to sell it at one year, not two. Since the buyer would be getting two years of protection, wouldn't it be $163?

He said it has 1 year of coverage left, I approximated that as 12 months but showed the math so if it's actually 10 months or 14 months or whatever, he can adjust as needed.

clyde2801
Sep 16, 2013, 07:22 AM
He said it has 1 year of coverage left, I approximated that as 12 months but showed the math so if it's actually 10 months or 14 months or whatever, he can adjust as needed.

After looking at the OP again, I stand corrected. Teaches me to not get on the forum without my bifocals. Thanks.