PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 without OS X

automan98
Sep 15, 2013, 10:24 PM
I'd like to install Windows 7 without OS X. This is a conscious decision for hardware reasons. I do not need OS X.

I've seen many articles on the web that provide inconsistent methods to doing this. Can any of you make suggestions on how to best approach? I have the Windows 7 DVD.

Many thanks

cbautis2
Sep 15, 2013, 10:39 PM
Buy a Windows PC. Macs will never work without OS X installed on them.

ItHurtsWhenIP
Sep 15, 2013, 10:46 PM
Buy a Windows PC. Macs will never work without OS X installed on them.

Fairly certain you're dead wrong.

OP, I would install Windows via Bootcamp, install the Bootcamp drivers for Windows, then delete the OS X partition..

Quick google search led to this: http://superuser.com/questions/50841/can-you-run-only-windows-on-a-mac

Compile
Sep 16, 2013, 01:52 AM
Why spend $999+ on Mac solely to run Windows?

You can get a PC laptop for half the cost and 1/4 of the struggle.

Mrbobb
Sep 16, 2013, 02:46 AM
Stop telling the guy what to do, is HIS money.

ZBoater
Sep 16, 2013, 07:11 AM
Stop telling the guy what to do, is HIS money.

Well, he is getting good feedback.

If you can live without ever being able to update the firmware on the laptop, and you want to live at the mercy of Apple updating/maintaining/fixing Windows drivers, then sure. Go for it.

You can do a Bootcamp install and then delete the OS X partition.

A smarter play would be to make the OS X partition as small as possible, you know, just in case you need to boot OS X on a MAC. But I wouldn't want to seem to be telling you what to do.... :rolleyes:

The MBA is THE BEST WINDOWS laptop I have ever had. I use Windows all the time. But completely killing OS X would never cross my mind. If I were going to do that, I might as well be looking at HP or Samsung and save myself some money and buy myself some more reliable Windows support.

Good luck getting support from Apple when something goes wrong (and it will). :apple:

m98custom1212
Sep 16, 2013, 04:50 PM
I did something.. I used usb flash drive

You can just download the bootcamp drivers if they ever update again

----------

A mac "ultrabooks" is cheaper then the competition because of the screen.

"Good luck getting support from Apple when something goes wrong (and it will)." Apple will have to support you anyways you did nothing wrong they give you access to bootcamp

Crzyrio
Sep 16, 2013, 04:52 PM

Yeah but that PC Laptop will probably only last for 1/4 the time of a Mac.

I for one will be doing this soon as well. When I pass my 4+ year old mac to my parents who are farmilar with Windows

m98custom1212
Sep 16, 2013, 04:54 PM
Yeah but that PC Laptop will probably only last for 1/4 the time of a Mac.

I for one will be doing this soon as well. When I pass my 4+ year old mac to my parents who are farmilar with Windows

Yea maybe a $300 one...I swear where do you comes these statements

Crzyrio
Sep 16, 2013, 05:10 PM
Yea maybe a $300 one...I swear where do you comes these statements

Either way it will not last as long as a Mac, in most cases.

In my 4 years of university, every single one of my classmates have gone through at least one laptop change while my C2D Macbook is still chucking along just fine. I am still surprised it is doing so well considering how much I put it through.

Y So Jelly
Sep 16, 2013, 05:52 PM
Windows 7 is the best version since 95. I screwed up two Windows laptops from hardware, but the OS never gave me issues.

The only thing I've seen comparable to Apple's builds is the Samsung Series 9. (And Chromebook Pixel, but who wants to pay that much for Chrome OS LOL)

cbautis2
Sep 16, 2013, 06:06 PM
Windows 7 is the best version since 95. I screwed up two Windows laptops from hardware, but the OS never gave me issues.

I think that's the main reason for owning a Mac hardware. It's not about the OS anymore at this point in time. It's all about hardware reliability and quality. I have never a "cheaper" Windows laptop that last as long and as dependable as a $900 MBA with Windows 7 bootcamp. Those ultrabooks on the market today don't count since they're more expensive than the MBA at the same configuration minus the screen. Also, I bet those ultrabooks with their "great" IPS panels and carbon fibre/magnesium body gimmick will break sooner than the screen and the aluminum bod of MBA for sure.

OrangeInc
Sep 16, 2013, 06:26 PM
I'd use bootcamp assistant and make the OSX partition as small as possible then install windows. That's the easiest option.

The OTHER option, which could be more troublesome is to boot up with the windows dvd (hold down 'c' during boot up with the windows install dvd inside) and format the whole hard drive prior to installing windows...do this at your own risk, there could be some booting up problems but I think there are multiple workarounds for this. Message me if you have any questions.

Y So Jelly
Sep 16, 2013, 06:31 PM
I think that's the main reason for owning a Mac hardware. It's not about the OS anymore at this point in time. It's all about hardware reliability and quality. I have never a "cheaper" Windows laptop that last as long and as dependable as a $900 MBA with Windows 7 bootcamp. Those ultrabooks on the market today don't count since they're more expensive than the MBA at the same configuration minus the screen. Also, I bet those ultrabooks with their "great" IPS panels and carbon fibre/magnesium body gimmick will break sooner than the screen and the aluminum bod of MBA for sure.

I could have bought the Samsung for $910 with core i7 and 1080p matte screen. The touchpad is as good as Apple's as well. But what finally pushed me to the Air was that no other company has a system like Applecare, where you can have the computer repaired in store. Having your computer shipped away for 2 weeks sucks!

All in all, it is definitely not a bad idea to run Windows primarily on a Macbook. (but I would still keep a small OSX partition)

m98custom1212
Sep 16, 2013, 06:46 PM
Either way it will not last as long as a Mac, in most cases.

In my 4 years of university, every single one of my classmates have gone through at least one laptop change while my C2D Macbook is still chucking along just fine. I am still surprised it is doing so well considering how much I put it through.

So is four year old acer windows laptop.. I just sold it actually to a coworker fresh install of windows 8

plus you're comparing or thinking about $300 computer to a $1100 plus

HarryWarden
Sep 17, 2013, 12:45 AM
Does Windows come as a download as opposed to a CD/DVD or do you have to buy an external drive to install it?

ItHurtsWhenIP
Sep 17, 2013, 02:15 AM
Does Windows come as a download as opposed to a CD/DVD or do you have to buy an external drive to install it?

You just need the .iso install file on a USB stick.

hexblot
Sep 17, 2013, 02:56 AM
Having run through a couple of Acers and multiple Vaios -- I'll say that Vaios never did it for me, too many small issues all the time. Acers lasted a good long time, but had overheating issues continuously (do note that I'm talking about Greece, where 35C / 95F temp is considered normal for spring/autumn, and very cool for summer).

In contrast, I have the original MBA, in my bag every day. Never had a single issue, only upgraded to an SSD recently.

As for Applecare and such - anywhere without Apple stores ( eg Greece ) it's largely a bad experience - resellers and distributors will send your device to the nearest country for repair, so you get the 10+ days without your device regardless (not 100% this is still the case, this is based on a personal experience 1.5 year ago with none other than my iPhone).

The worst thing about a Mac laptop? There's no way for me to use anything else now. The majority have a cheap feeling, even some of the top line models!