PDA

View Full Version : Revo block + Airport Express = AirPlay device?

Donki
Sep 16, 2013, 10:52 AM
Hey folks,

I have a Revo block sound dock in the kitchen with a line in port. Is it as simple as buying an AirPort Exspress to it to turn it into an AirPlay dock? Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question just want to make sure before I buy one.

hvfsl
Sep 16, 2013, 11:21 AM
Yes, although you may want to wait until October as there will probably be an updated version supporting the latest wifi standard.

Donki
Sep 16, 2013, 11:36 AM
Yes, although you may want to wait until October as there will probably be an updated version supporting the latest wifi standard.

Thanks, what would the difference be? I was eyeing a refurb for 59 or venturing onto the bay. Once up and running I can play my full iTunes library to it from my desktop or from my iPad/iPhone, correct? Again excuse my ignorance.

priitv8
Sep 16, 2013, 04:38 PM
If you intend to play only music, then the wi-fi spec is really not relevant, as even the old 54Mbps 801.11g standard (e.g the old plug-type express) is sufficient to transmit stereo audio over the air.
Yes, you can play anything that your iTunes or iOS can play (audio only).

Donki
Sep 16, 2013, 04:47 PM
If you intend to play only music, then the wi-fi spec is really not relevant, as even the old 54Mbps 801.11g standard (e.g the old plug-type express) is sufficient to transmit stereo audio over the air.
Yes, you can play anything that your iTunes or iOS can play (audio only).

Great, seems like a no brainer really then, and a handy way of sorting out the original docking pin to the lighten one without an ugly adaptor.

Cheers guys.