PDA

View Full Version : Google Acquires 'Bump', One of the App Store's First Hits

MacRumors
Sep 16, 2013, 12:15 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/16/google-acquires-bump-one-of-the-app-stores-first-hits/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/Bump.pngGoogle is acquiring Bump for an undisclosed sum, according to a blog post (http://blog.bu.mp/post/61411611006/bump-google) by company cofounder David Lieb.

Bump's eponymous app (http://appshopper.com/social-networking/bump) allows users to share contact information, photos and more with other Bump users by 'bumping' devices with each other, including across platforms. Bump's apps will continue to operate normally for now.
Our mission at Bump has always been to build the simplest tools for sharing the information you care about with other people and devices. We strive to create experiences that feel like magic, enabled behind the scene with innovations in math, data processing, and algorithms. So we couldn't be more thrilled to join Google, a company that shares our belief that the application of computing to difficult problems can fundamentally change the way that we interact with one another and the world.

Bump and Flock will continue to work as they always have for now; stay tuned for future updates.

We'd like to extend a special thank you to all of you who have used our products so far. It continues to be a pleasure to serve you, and your feedback and evangelism inspire us every day.Bump is a free download (http://appshopper.com/social-networking/bump) for the iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id305479724?mt=8)]

Article Link: Google Acquires 'Bump', One of the App Store's First Hits (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/16/google-acquires-bump-one-of-the-app-stores-first-hits/)

dannyyankou
Sep 16, 2013, 12:16 PM
AirDrop for iOS will make this obsolete!

osofast240sx
Sep 16, 2013, 12:20 PM
I just deleted my bump app. Im living google free!

Ventilatedbrain
Sep 16, 2013, 12:20 PM
While air drop is better ..I remember when I first got this app and was tricking my friends with it

verpeiler
Sep 16, 2013, 12:23 PM
Never tested bump... but proprietary crap like airdrop is no solution...

guzhogi
Sep 16, 2013, 12:27 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how would you AirDrop contact information on an iOS device?

kirky29
Sep 16, 2013, 12:29 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how would you AirDrop contact information on an iOS device?

With iOS 7 you'd go to the contact and click 'share' then select the AirDrop device.

rwilliams

Sure, once everyone upgrades to an iPhone 5 or later.

rshanahan

Unless you have a 'new' ios device. Airdrop doesn't show up on my Ipad 3. Sad to discover that as my mom has an Ipad2, and would be nice to airdrop stuff to her when I visit.

zencowboy
Sep 16, 2013, 12:32 PM
I've used bump to message to another country for free. Then swapped over to whatsapp since it was eaiser to connect and not have to bump someones phone 2500 miles away:-)

JGIGS
Sep 16, 2013, 12:36 PM

Better yet how do you do it to a friend without an iPhone/ios device. Oh wait you can't because apple never creates ios apps for other platforms. This is why they loss to MS back in the day in the computer biz and it could repeat itself (though unlikely since they already have a massive loyal market share this time) in the mobile device world.

If google/android ever makes an sms integrated version of hangouts I'm defecting again to Android.

MacVault
Sep 16, 2013, 12:37 PM
I hate proprietary stuff like airdrop, ichat, airplay, etc. Might work well within the Apple garden but interoperability is imperative these days. I'd take this further and say web browser access is also imperative - ie. I hate that to use iTunes I have to install iTunes. Cannot access via web browser. Oh, and is Apple's Maps app ever going to have browser access?

JackieInCo
Sep 16, 2013, 12:41 PM
Do you have an ad blocker on your computers browser and are blocking ads on your iPhone/iPads browser? If not, you are not Google free.

BJMRamage
Sep 16, 2013, 12:43 PM
I tried Bump once...eventually the guy just emailed me photos...bump was not working.

I kept it on my phone but haven't touched it since. Hopefully you wont need a Google Log-in to get this working.

rwilliams
Sep 16, 2013, 01:04 PM
Oh, and is Apple's Maps app ever going to have browser access?

The standalone Maps app in Mavericks was what surprised me the most. It seems to make much more sense for Apple to have put Maps in the browser rather than a standalone application.

Risco
Sep 16, 2013, 01:05 PM
Airdrop trumps Bump...

rwilliams
Sep 16, 2013, 01:08 PM
Airdrop trumps Bump...

But again, Bump wasn't limited to newer Apple iOS devices.

JarScott
Sep 16, 2013, 01:13 PM

Been doing that for a while now. I don't agree with Google or the things they seem to stand by these days. The only Google product I regularly use is YouTube.

FakeWozniak
Sep 16, 2013, 01:14 PM

Me too, not just phone, but Mac too. Glad to see Yahoo is making improvements.

JarScott
Sep 16, 2013, 01:14 PM
They've acquired a useless app. No one actually uses it, it sits ignored in most people folders even if they do have it installed. AirDrop is a step ahead.

nagromme
Sep 16, 2013, 01:30 PM
It's a neat system, and it IS probably the easiest way I've found to get data from your iPhone to some random person's PC (spacebar instead of accelerometer). It's also something Samsung likes to think they invented :)

If it starts to need a Google login, I'll stop using it. If it's ad-supported without that--then ok, fair enough! And if it becomes Android exclusive, I won't shed too many tears. I'll just email the file.

It's a nice product (one I didn't appreciate until I tried it) but the use case, for me, is very rare.

Rare but not unheard of: AirDrop IS better, but it's iOS and Mac only.

marksman
Sep 16, 2013, 01:40 PM
AirDrop > bump

macnisse
Sep 16, 2013, 02:00 PM
Air drop = good
cross platform = better

nepalisherpa
Sep 16, 2013, 02:08 PM

Airdrop trumps Bump...

AirDrop > bump

You guys do realize that Airdrop is "Apple-only". Bump will be for both platforms. Good luck using your Airdrop with your Android friends. And, before you label me as an Android fan, look at my signature.

hchung
Sep 16, 2013, 02:18 PM
Never tested bump... but proprietary crap like airdrop is no solution...

FYI... both Airdrop and Bump are proprietary. Perhaps that's not the word you meant to use?

Cuban Missles
Sep 16, 2013, 02:27 PM
I used bump when I got my first iPhone, the iphone 3. Never installed it on my 4s and wont be doing so on my 5s (or my wife's 5c) this friday. Never really needed it for anything. I am an entirely Apple family, even extended family is all apple so I do not need the bump app. plus for the stuff I do, bump provides no real benefit over other alternatives (email, SMS, Airdrop).

If I ever needed an app like this I would look for a google free app. I dont need google knowing anything about me and then selling it to everyone. And yes, I do adblock and privacy setting on the browser and other things. I have nothing to hide, but I also don't want to be sold like a cheap hooker on the corner.

/rant

verpeiler
Sep 16, 2013, 02:32 PM
FYI... both Airdrop and Bump are proprietary. Perhaps that's not the word you meant to use?

And I didn't say anything about bump not being proprietary.

But at least it is available to both leading platforms.

osofast240sx
Sep 16, 2013, 02:34 PM
Do you have an ad blocker on your computers browser and are blocking ads on your iPhone/iPads browser? If not, you are not Google free.

It was a joke lol

Ethere
Sep 16, 2013, 02:45 PM

I'd live Google free if iCloud storage was at all comparable in pricing to Google Drive. And I still like the Chrome browser on iPhone better than Safari. But I hear it'll be greatly improved on Wednesday with iOS 7.

osofast240sx
Sep 16, 2013, 02:46 PM
You guys do realize that Airdrop is "Apple-only". Bump will be for both platforms. Good luck using your Airdrop with your Android friends. And, before you label me as an Android fan, look at my signature. Most people that I communicate with, that have android devices usually have both platforms so not an issue

mudman2
Sep 16, 2013, 02:48 PM
Bump is obviously the main reason we all have smartphones. I used it no times on my iPhone mainly because no one else had it. So it was invaluable but at the same time useless.

I sincerely hope that airdrop is at least as useful assuming I ever put anyone I know into my contacts to make its use possible.

:eek:

JBunkers
Sep 16, 2013, 03:24 PM
You guys do realize that Airdrop is "Apple-only". Bump will be for both platforms. Good luck using your Airdrop with your Android friends. And, before you label me as an Android fan, look at my signature.

I don't have any Android friends. I would have been friends with Commander Data, but he was just a fictional character from the future, so that's out. :D

Dominicanyor
Sep 16, 2013, 03:25 PM
I thought bump was for android users only.

jonnysods
Sep 16, 2013, 03:48 PM
I never used this on my iPhone, and I wouldn't use it on my Nexus now either.

Harrycooke
Sep 16, 2013, 05:00 PM
I don't associate myself with non-apple users, so I will never have a use for Bump.

FlatlinerG
Sep 16, 2013, 05:14 PM
I had Bump installed on my iPhone 3GS a few years back. In all honesty, I probably used it twice and every time it would have been useful, I completely forgot about it meaning it took up more space than it was ever useful for.

Sent the picture through text.
What's your number, I'll add you to my contacts.
Email me the file.
Etc.

And for all of you saying that Airdrop is not a solution and that it isn't available on all iOS devices my answer to that is if you see someone with a 5/5c/5s you can safely assume they have Airdrop. You have no idea if they have Bump.

Glassed Silver
Sep 16, 2013, 05:53 PM

Huh? AirDrop is cross-platform now? /s

Glassed Silver:mac

Zellio
Sep 16, 2013, 06:02 PM
Yup, Apple versions of Google stuff are always better.

Like Apple Maps.... And Appletube..

Mr. Gates
Sep 16, 2013, 06:03 PM
I don't associate myself with non-apple users, so I will never have a use for Bump.

What a relief for the rest of us...

Zellio
Sep 16, 2013, 06:28 PM

So when talking to co-workers or neighbors, or even relatives, is your first question always, 'Do you use Apple products?'

Is that also your pickup line?

Harrycooke
Sep 16, 2013, 06:39 PM
So when talking to co-workers or neighbors, or even relatives, is your first question always, 'Do you use Apple products?'

Is that also your pickup line?

What a relief for the rest of us...

Wow some people do not understand sarcasm.

dannyyankou
Sep 16, 2013, 06:51 PM

It doesn't matter, I'm not friends with any Android users :p

Mr. Gates
Sep 16, 2013, 07:00 PM
Wow some people do not understand sarcasm.

How would anyone know it was sarcasm ?

Gigaman
Sep 16, 2013, 08:31 PM
Hold on now:

Bump was ok, but c'mon, who still uses it?? And as if some NFC is any more accesible than AirDrop will be.

Goodbye bump and physical contact just to send files.

JayCee842
Sep 16, 2013, 10:45 PM

I don't think that will be the case, since airdrop is only for ios...

bedifferent
Sep 17, 2013, 02:32 AM
At first glance I thought, "Google's finally pushing out 'Bumptop'"??!

bumptop (https://code.google.com/p/bumptop/)

Surprisingly, it's still available and has had some updates. A fun 3D desktop to play with.

roadbloc
Sep 17, 2013, 02:38 AM
The amount of shunning towards cross-compatibility in this thread is amazing.

Michaelgtrusa
Sep 17, 2013, 05:06 AM
So Google can Bump your privacy some more.

Sotier
Sep 17, 2013, 07:39 AM
http://youtu.be/NvP2qTKs1Tw?t=21m7s

RobertMartens
Sep 17, 2013, 09:46 AM
Sure, once everyone upgrades to an iPhone 5 or later.
Isn't iOS7 for iPhone 4 and greater? Isn't that like 80% or more of the iPhone market?

rwilliams
Sep 17, 2013, 10:02 AM
Isn't iOS7 for iPhone 4 and greater? Isn't that like 80% or more of the iPhone market?

From Wikipedia:

AirDrop, officially, is limited to these models (not supported on earlier devices because of Apple's policy) and newer:

Running iOS 7 or newer:
iPhone 5
iPhone 5s
iPhone 5c
iPad (4th generation)
iPad Mini
iPod Touch (5th generation)

Razeus
Sep 18, 2013, 08:47 AM
They've acquired a useless app. No one actually uses it, it sits ignored in most people folders even if they do have it installed. AirDrop is a step ahead.

That's because Bump is a feature, not a product. That's why they HAD to sell.

aquadisiac
Sep 21, 2013, 07:33 PM

yes i downloaded then deleted it months later when i realized i never used it.