PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a Macbook Air/Macbook Pro?

OpTic Jayex
Sep 16, 2013, 03:56 PM
Hello. I have a question. Should I buy a Macbook Air/Macbook Pro? I own a PowerMac G5 with a 2.7 ghz, 6gb of ram, and dual 1 tb's. I can do light editing and i have Photoshop and Flash CS3. Those and Minecraft runs great on this machine. I'm thinking about buying either an Air or a Macbook Pro so I can access my files quickly on the go, edit photos via Aperture, and have an overall fast machine that will run the upcoming 10.9 Mavericks. What should I do?

nepalisherpa
Sep 16, 2013, 04:15 PM
Hello. I have a question. Should I buy a Macbook Air/Macbook Pro? I own a PowerMac G5 with a 2.7 ghz, 6gb of ram, and dual 1 tb's. I can do light editing and i have Photoshop and Flash CS3. Those and Minecraft runs great on this machine. I'm thinking about buying either an Air or a Macbook Pro so I can access my files quickly on the go, edit photos via Aperture, and have an overall fast machine that will run the upcoming 10.9 Mavericks. What should I do?

Do you want a slightly better hardware or do you want portability?

OpTic Jayex
Sep 16, 2013, 04:20 PM
Do you want a slightly better hardware or do you want portability?

Really, Both. I want a portable machine with a fast hard drive, hence the ssd's in Macbook Air's, and something that will run the new software because i really want to get into Photography.

Mrbobb
Sep 16, 2013, 05:16 PM
really want to get into Photography.

Real photography means a big desktop display.

A laptop is really to show off your stuff to potential clients, and for that even an iPad maybe more ideal.

OpTic Jayex
Sep 16, 2013, 05:22 PM
Real photography means a big desktop display.

A laptop is really to show off your stuff to potential clients, and for that even an iPad maybe more ideal.

Well, I have an iPad already. I'm going to buy the 5S so I can get started taking pics. I want to edit those pics using Aperture and would like a mac laptop so i can do my editing on. I can get by with it on my PowerMac, but it will be limited because of the PowerPC processor.

ItHurtsWhenIP
Sep 16, 2013, 05:44 PM
Getting into photography with a phone camera is like getting into golf with plastic clubs. Sure, the iPhone takes great pictures for Instagram, but professional quality they are not. It's no guarantee that a quality camera will make you into a pro either, but they make it pretty easy.

Instead of a new iPhone, I'd get an entry level DSLR (like a Canon T3), it sounds like it would suit your needs much better.

I guess my vote is for a DSLR and an Air (which doesn't have a great screen, but is plenty capable of editing on the go)..skip the iPhone and Pro.

OpTic Jayex
Sep 16, 2013, 05:48 PM
Getting into photography with a phone camera is like getting into golf with plastic clubs. Sure, the iPhone takes great pictures for Instagram, but professional quality they are not. It's no guarantee that a quality camera will make you into a pro either, but they make it pretty easy.

Instead of a new iPhone, I'd get an entry level DSLR (like a Canon T3), it sounds like it would suit your needs much better.

I guess my vote is for a DSLR and an Air (which doesn't have a great screen, but is plenty capable of editing on the go)..skip the iPhone and Pro.

Well see, I'm not buying the iPhone 5S FOR Photography. I'm buying so I can have a nice smart phone and it has a decent camera in it. It's easy just to flip it out and easily take a picture. I'm considering the Air simply because of it's SSD and it's portability.

yosemit
Sep 16, 2013, 07:02 PM
PowerMac G5? That's an amazing machine.

The macbook air, though, may now outperform the PowerMac for a wide margin. The 1.7GHz i7 is actually 3.3GHz with single-core turbo and 2.9GHz with dual-core turbo, and it can stay at those frequencies if needed. The Haswell processor can run eight instructions per cycle, another advantage. Memory data rate has been multiplied, plus the SSD. The air should be faster than the G5 at least 2-3 times.