Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I just got myself a really cool Midiman MacMan MIDI interface for my 512ke. The only thing is it uses the later 8 pin serial port connection to connect to Mac's (Like the Plus I assume) however my old 512Ke only has it's DB9 and similar ports. I see cables for the old Imagewriters available that connect 8-pin to DB9 (like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-128-512...I-/230446778755?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123) and I'm wondering if they will work with the interface?

Anybody have any experience with these things? Resources on the topic are very scarce.

Other thing I'd like to know is what software to get to run it. I assume all the old DAW's from the day would work with a generic MIDI interface or are they all hardware specific?

Any help at all would be largely appreciated :D

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
All you should need to do is to make an RS422 Mini-Din 8 Female to an RS422 DB9 male adapter cable

Din-8F----Signal----------DB-9M
1-----------12v--------------6
2-----------Handshake------7
3-----------TX(-)-------------5
4-----------Ground----------3
5-----------RX(-)------------ 9
6-----------TX(+)------------4
7-----------No Connect
8-----------RX(+)------------8

Pin numbers will be marked on the connectors in tiny raised print.

If you only want ONE cable without adapter, just use a MiniDIN8 MALE instead of a FEMALE.

Looking at the Apple support Doc for Peripheral to MacPlus Adapter http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27966?viewlocale=en_US, it would appear that this cable is the same. It should be marked with the embossed part number 590-0341. However, this is the reverse of what you want.

This might indicate that the above cable on ebay might work. if it's a Mac512 to ImagewriterII cable

Last edited:

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
All you should need to do is to make an RS422 Mini-Din 8 Female to an RS422 DB9 male adapter cable

7-----------No Connect

If you only want ONE cable without adapter, just use a MiniDIN8 MALE instead of a FEMALE.

Looking at the Apple support Doc for Peripheral to MacPlus Adapter http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27966?viewlocale=en_US, it would appear that this cable is the same. It should be marked with the embossed part number 590-0341. However, this is the reverse of what you want.

This might indicate that the above cable on ebay might work. if it's a Mac512 to ImagewriterII cable

Thanks for the help, I'll look into this :)

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC

7-----------No Connect

I love posts like this...thanks for being an actual contributor not like the 99% on MacWhiners (including me)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I love posts like this...thanks for being an actual contributor not like the 99% on MacWhiners (including me)

Damn straight, restores my faith in humanity. I've learned lots of little bis from helpful people here including lots I could never find by googling. It's more than just people complaining about different icons...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.