Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Not sure which one would be better for her, ordering it tonight.

She will just be using it for coursework, music, browsing, research, so nothing intensive.

The basic 13" Air has recently been updated... New HD5000 and battery etc and is £50 cheaper than the basic outdated 13"mbp.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Sounds like she doesn't really need to extra CPU horsepower but everyone benefits from a SSD and the lighter form factor. An Air sounds perfect! I'll bet she'll be thrilled.

Y So Jelly

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2013
I am a student, and bought the Pro 2 weeks ago. Returned it for an Air and am much happier. I would only recommend the Pro for someone who needs extremely accurate gamut, user-upgradable components, a colossal amount of storage, and runs a RAMDisk or multiple VM's.

Your daughter is not this person. Get the Air.

krazykleo

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Everywhere and nowhere
Get the Air. I myself am a university student and I have yet to feel any heat from my mid MBA. I am a heavy user as most of my class notes and quizzes and other assignments are online and I have my laptop open for hours on end.

I was a bit worried about nothing having the right laptop but I am sooo happy I went with the Air. Only thing I'd say is that get a bigger SSD. I got the 128GB and wish now I'd gotten the 256GB, at least.

My config: i5/8GB/128.

Hope this helps.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks guys, bought her the standard 13" Air. :)

Is it possible to use a 64gb sd card for extra storage?

Yes, she sure can. Just have her eject it and remove it before she puts the Air to bed for the night on battery power. Having an SD card in keeps the Air from going into its battery conserving deep sleep mode.

You might want to get her a cheap external USB drive for backup also. The WD My Passport line of drives is perfect for this. Just plug it in and turn on the included Time Machine software to backup. Then you (Dad) need to text her about once a week to remind her to plug the drive in and backup. :D

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
You might want to get her a cheap external USB drive for backup also. The WD My Passport line of drives is perfect for this. Just plug it in and turn on the included Time Machine software to backup. Then you (Dad) need to text her about once a week to remind her to plug the drive in and backup. :D

I second the external drive for back up. But if you use Time Machine, it will remind you by itself if you haven't backed up for 14 days. This is the reminder system I use!

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Yes, she sure can. Just have her eject it and remove it before she puts the Air to bed for the night on battery power. Having an SD card in keeps the Air from going into its battery conserving deep sleep mode.

Additionally, consider set up some sort of online backup. I personally recommend CrashPlan, because you can have her back up to your home computer for free or have it backed up to CrashPlan's servers for a small fee. Backblaze and Carbonite are two other highly respected alternatives.

I say this for 2 reasons:

1) The backup happens automatically when connected to the internet, no need for weekly/ daily reminders.

2) If, God forbid, her dorm room/ apartment/ car ever gets broken into, and the computer is stolen (along with the backup), you can still be superdad and save the day by recovering her data. Online backup also protects against beer spillage and frat parties. :eek:

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Thanks for the advice.

I guess setting up iCloud on it too is a good idea so if it gets stolen at uni i can track it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the advice.

I guess setting up iCloud on it too is a good idea so if it gets stolen at uni i can track it.

That is a good idea. Also turn on Filevault full disk encryption to secure her data in case if theft. One the initial encryption is done, it is very transparent to the user. You can turn it on in the Security & Privacy panel of System Preferences.

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Ahhh yeah, she loves it.

I had a little go on it the other day and it seems quicker than my modified 13"mbp as in my below signature.

Got it for £816 from the Apple Edu store with 3 years warranty.

Perfect choice for her :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.