PDA

View Full Version : ibook quirk

brendan67
Nov 26, 2005, 12:45 PM
hi

i've noticed that when i sleep my ibook g4 the power

light on the front goes off, about a minute after i close the

lid - it did not used to do this.

anybody know how i can stop this happening?

regards

maya
Nov 26, 2005, 12:50 PM
hi

i've noticed that when i sleep my ibook g4 the power

light on the front goes off, about a minute after i close the

lid - it did not used to do this.

anybody know how i can stop this happening?

regards

That does not sounds normal, usually or in my experience the light throbs when put to sleep.

brendan67
Nov 26, 2005, 12:57 PM
hi

yes thats what it should do - but now its as if its switching off.

i've tried a reboot and repairing permissions bit for some reason

the normal 'pulsing' power goes out as if the machine is shut down

although when i reopen the lid, it acts as if it had been sleeping by coming

back on , so its just the power light going out thats annoying.

any suggestions welcomed

regards

maya
Nov 26, 2005, 01:17 PM
Did you try resetting the PRAM, or run the hardware repair CD that come included with the iBook. If you tried all that call Apple and see what they can do if its still under warranty. Does not sound like a big issue. :)

Kobushi
Nov 26, 2005, 01:27 PM
As long as we're discussing quirky ibooks, my battery keeps falling out. I've checked the little locking mechanism on the bottom and it seems ok. It has happened several times pulling it from my backback and once yesterday when I just picked it up from having it sitting soundly on my chair.

I don't like the kind of "hard shutdown" that occurs when my ibook goes from being asleep to having the power source disappear. Has anyone heard of this happening?

BTW, I treat my ibook like it contains nitroglycerin; it has its own compartment in my backpack. Thus, it's not a neglect thing.

maya
Nov 26, 2005, 01:38 PM
As long as we're discussing quirky ibooks, my battery keeps falling out. I've checked the little locking mechanism on the bottom and it seems ok. It has happened several times pulling it from my backback and once yesterday when I just picked it up from having it sitting soundly on my chair.

I don't like the kind of "hard shutdown" that occurs when my ibook goes from being asleep to having the power source disappear. Has anyone heard of this happening?

BTW, I treat my ibook like it contains nitroglycerin; it has its own compartment in my backpack. Thus, it's not a neglect thing.

Sounds like the battery is not resting well in its compartment as the plastic has some deformation, that it will not allow the battery to sit in flush. I had a similar issue however that was minor, where the battery would hang a little low even if it was locked properly. I would report this issue to Apple.

Megatron
Nov 26, 2005, 01:45 PM
To the OP: does the pulsing light go on for just a little while when you put the ibook to sleep, and then go out, or does it just not start pulsing at all when you close the lid?

If it's not pulsing at all maybe the led or diode or whatever needs to be replaced. If it starts then stops, then that's just weird :)

pknz
Nov 26, 2005, 02:12 PM
The "breathing" light people, as it were breathing while asleep. In this case your computer seems to stop breathing while asleep. Not a good sign. Is it actually switching off?