PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Offering $100 Off iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c for New Customers

MacRumors
Sep 16, 2013, 07:21 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/16/sprint-offering-100-off-iphone-5s-and-iphone-5c-for-new-customers/)

Sprint has announced (http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop_landing.jsp?pagename=specialoffers) (via 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/16/sprint-slashing-iphone-5s-iphone-5c-prices-by-extra-100-for-new-customers/)) that it will be offering $100 off on both the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c to new customers who port their number to the carrier, dropping the price of the 16GB iPhone 5c to $0 and the price of the 16GB iPhone 5s to $99 with a two-year contract.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/sprintdeal.png
The move comes shortly after news (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/16/sprint-to-roll-out-one-up-frequent-device-upgrade-program-on-september-20) leaked of Sprint's upcoming "One Up" frequent device upgrade program, which will allow customers to upgrade their phones and tablets at regular intervals. It also comes four days after T-Mobile announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/12/t-mobile-offering-iphone-5c-for-0-down-iphone-5s-for-99-down/) that it will be offering the iPhone 5c for $0 down and iPhone 5s for $99 down, although Sprint's prices only apply to new customers while T-Mobile's pricing applies to current and new customers.

With the promotion, which ends on October 10, 2013, the iPhone 5c will cost $0 for the 16GB model and $99 for the 32GB model while the iPhone 5s will cost $99 for the 16GB model, $199 for the 32GB model and $299 for the 64GB model. The iPhone 4s will still be $0.

The iPhone 5c can be pre-ordered (http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_details.jsp?prodId=dvc7750014prd&deviceSKUId=77600099&ensembleId=885909741823&flow=AAL&firstSelection=PHONES&id16=iphone%205c&question_box=iphone%205c) immediately from Sprint's website, and the iPhone 5s will be available for order beginning on Friday, September 20.

Article Link: Sprint Offering $100 Off iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c for New Customers (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/16/sprint-offering-100-off-iphone-5s-and-iphone-5c-for-new-customers/)

blahbrah
Sep 16, 2013, 07:22 PM
Let's hope that means Apple's stock will be much more plentiful.

Rayd5365
Sep 16, 2013, 07:27 PM
Now, if only they had a signal at my house...

Carlanga
Sep 16, 2013, 07:37 PM
I hate that carriers don't give discounts and freebies to people that are loyal... :(

PracticalMac
Sep 16, 2013, 07:43 PM
Does that mean the iP5 will be $100 cash back, and the iP4S will be $200 cash back??

Or what about a refurb iP4 which sells for $99. FREE with no contract??

----------

I hate that carriers don't give discounts and freebies to people that are loyal... :(

Say it borta!!!

WatchTheThrone
Sep 16, 2013, 07:47 PM
They should do this to current Sprint customers to keep them from jumping ship. Ive read a lot of complaints about Sprint everywhere and having gotten the 4S on Sprint 2 years ago I must give my .02 for future Sprint users.

When I first got the 4S the 3G speeds were bad. I'm talking dial up speed bad. I was pretty pissed about it but having signed a contract there's very little to be done. I was happy with the voice though because I never dropped a call in 2 years.
But then the speeds got better and now I'm getting on average around 1-1.5 Mbps. Now I know the other carriers are getting probably double on 3G let alone 4G but it's a capped data amount which to me is not worth it. I have used up to 12gb of data in 1 month because I had no Internet at home and used TetherMe a lot.
I'm not saying this will be the case everywhere but Sprint is def getting they're **** together. It's taking time but they can only get better.

If you're thinking of trying out Sprint then try it out. Don't like it then cancel before the 14 days are up. (I think it's 14 days)

jayducharme
Sep 16, 2013, 07:55 PM
I can't remember any other Apple launch when so many carriers and stores have offered such steep discounts. For Sprint, it could be an attempt to make up for all those iPhone purchases they had to guarantee from Apple. Or perhaps it's Apple ensuring that these iPhones sell like hotcakes to boost their faltering market share. Or maybe these are the "cheap" iPhones we've all been waiting for...

PollyK
Sep 16, 2013, 07:58 PM
Wow, big discounts right at launch? That makes the iPhone and Apple look bad. My oh my, times have changed. But hey, at least they still have their Apple faithful who'll line up in advance (showing they have nothing better to do in life) for a phone they could very easily order online , trying their best to build the hype that's just no longer there.

gatearray
Sep 16, 2013, 08:05 PM
Wow, big discounts right at launch? That makes the iPhone and Apple look bad. My oh my, times have changed.

Indeed, although look at the picture of the ad, not an iPhone in sight, and no mention in the fine print, either. :)

Preed08
Sep 16, 2013, 08:12 PM
They should do this to current Sprint customers to keep them from jumping ship. Ive read a lot of complaints about Sprint everywhere and having gotten the 4S on Sprint 2 years ago I must give my .02 for future Sprint users.

When I first got the 4S the 3G speeds were bad. I'm talking dial up speed bad. I was pretty pissed about it but having signed a contract there's very little to be done. I was happy with the voice though because I never dropped a call in 2 years.
But then the speeds got better and now I'm getting on average around 1-1.5 Mbps. Now I know the other carriers are getting probably double on 3G let alone 4G but it's a capped data amount which to me is not worth it. I have used up to 12gb of data in 1 month because I had no Internet at home and used TetherMe a lot.
I'm not saying this will be the case everywhere but Sprint is def getting they're **** together. It's taking time but they can only get better.

If you're thinking of trying out Sprint then try it out. Don't like it then cancel before the 14 days are up. (I think it's 14 days)

Those 3g speeds are very good. It is impossible to have double of 1.5 mbps (3) in real world scenarios since that is pretty much the theoretical max. Also your situation mirrors mine. I had been considering jumping to tmobile but i know the sprint network will be much better in the long run, and with the softbank acquisition they should give even ATT and VZW a run for their money

powerstrokin
Sep 16, 2013, 08:18 PM
I'm over the whole "smartphone" thing. Yes, I have an iPhone 5. Yes I'll probably upgrade next year to the 6 or whatever. No, I don't get excited like half the people here about it.

Why not? Because who cares? It's a phone/computer in your pocket. It's not some "new" thing anymore.

On a semi-related note... can't humanity just agree that "Television" as a fad is DONE and move on with things that will actually help people?

Might be serious, might be joking. You decide.

Who's with me?

PS... I don't think it makes Apple look bad per se. Maybe the phone companies are just realizing that no one wants to pay ridiculous prices for cell phone plans and the related equipment....

cdmoore74
Sep 16, 2013, 08:34 PM
Wow! And I mean that in a bad way.

I actually expect a sale out for the iPhone 5s just because of short stock. Apple wants people to stand in line for the free publicity. That should help Apple create buzz but it will suck because their losing potential sales.
And I know for sure the iPhone 5c will be a failure. It may not be upfront but in 1 to 2 months it will be old news. It's a forgettable colorful plastic iPhone 5. And after the holidays both phones will be irrelevant because of the rampant iPhone 6 rumors.

Tiger8
Sep 16, 2013, 08:40 PM
Indeed, although look at the picture of the ad, not an iPhone in sight, and no mention in the fine print, either. :)

That's the key here, iphone used to be excluded from such promos

WatchTheThrone
Sep 16, 2013, 08:44 PM
Those 3g speeds are very good. It is impossible to have double of 1.5 mbps (3) in real world scenarios since that is pretty much the theoretical max. Also your situation mirrors mine. I had been considering jumping to tmobile but i know the sprint network will be much better in the long run, and with the softbank acquisition they should give even ATT and VZW a run for their money

Yes, CDMA will only do 3mbps but I was also talking about the other 2 GSM carriers (att&tmobile) which will do double our 3G speeds on 3G. I too was considering the jump to tmobile in October when my Sprint contract is up but knowing they'll get their LTE coverage in all places they have 3G in 2014 I might just stick around. I agree the SoftBank acquisition will only help them get better. Not to mention them finally buying Clearwire and that whole mess and killing off Nextel and refarming their spectrum for their LTE.

theBB
Sep 16, 2013, 08:51 PM
Or perhaps it's Apple ensuring that these iPhones sell like hotcakes to boost their faltering market share.
In the US, iPhone market share has been increasing for a couple of quarters in a row, as iPhones become available at more carriers, thanks to subsidies that hide the cost of the phone.

WatchTheThrone
Sep 16, 2013, 08:53 PM
Wow, big discounts right at launch? That makes the iPhone and Apple look bad. My oh my, times have changed. But hey, at least they still have their Apple faithful who'll line up in advance (showing they have nothing better to do in life) for a phone they could very easily order online , trying their best to build the hype that's just no longer there.

How does this make Apple look bad?? It is Sprint the one who's doing the promotion, not Apple. Apple still gets paid full price for every one of those iPhone sold with this promotion.

Also why do people mind what other people do with their time and money?? If someone wants to camp out outside a store for a product then so be it. They're not interfering with your life, so why judge them??

theBB
Sep 16, 2013, 08:55 PM
PS... I don't think it makes Apple look bad per se. Maybe the phone companies are just realizing that no one wants to pay ridiculous prices for cell phone plans and the related equipment....
I hope so. If we are lucky, these are the first steps towards a price war that will reduce monthly fees among all carriers.

Chatter
Sep 16, 2013, 09:06 PM

This is about Sprint fighting off customer losses. Grab a cracker and hope it helps you "think" clearly.

Ricky Smith
Sep 16, 2013, 09:23 PM
This isn't new, this is how sprint convinced me over to them a few months ago. I quickly jumped ship within 14 days since I couldn't do a damn thing with my iPhone 5 on their LTE network. Sure I could text from anywhere, but I'd be damned if I got data anywhere on the network that didn't blow.

xthishero
Sep 16, 2013, 09:43 PM
New customers? Why don't they do this for the customers who've put up with them for years?

satyrica
Sep 16, 2013, 09:44 PM
...gotta make up for awful coverage and service quality...

12vElectronics
Sep 16, 2013, 09:49 PM
Lol Sprint reminds me of a company I used to work for. ONLY cares about new customers and could give a rats behind about existing customers.

griffd
Sep 16, 2013, 09:58 PM

do you have nothing better to do than to post negative comments about Apple fans?

powerstrokin
Sep 16, 2013, 10:00 PM
I hope so. If we are lucky, these are the first steps towards a price war that will reduce monthly fees among all carriers.

Doubt it. I posted my theory on that particular subject on a different thread. Search my posts.

...they're all in bed. ILLUSION of choice.

We'll continue to get screwed because the company(ies) KNOW they can screw us.

What else are we gonna do...use walkie talkies?

JAT
Sep 16, 2013, 10:06 PM
Will they give $100 off a Verizon phone?

gatearray
Sep 16, 2013, 10:11 PM
That's the key here, iphone used to be excluded from such promos

Yep, that was my point. According to the ad, it still is excluded. :)

burnout8488
Sep 16, 2013, 10:22 PM
This isn't new, this is how sprint convinced me over to them a few months ago. I quickly jumped ship within 14 days since I couldn't do a damn thing with my iPhone 5 on their LTE network. Sure I could text from anywhere, but I'd be damned if I got data anywhere on the network that didn't blow.

Boston is now a fully launched LTE network, you were experiencing teething pains of getting the towers fine tuned most likely. Nearly every site in Boston is an LTE site now. You really should heave waited it out.

-Avid S4GRU member

PS: EVERY current Sprint cellular site is getting LTE - even the super rural ones that only broadcast 1x currently. Around Mid-2014 Sprint is going to have one hell of a network, especially when 800Mhz LTE gets flipped on in all of the markets. (Super range)

JayCee842
Sep 16, 2013, 10:40 PM
Lol Sprint reminds me of a company I used to work for. ONLY cares about new customers and could give a rats behind about existing customers.

Wait, isn't every company like that? :rolleyes:

----------

They could offer it for free and I still wouldn't sign up with them. Their network is so horrendous.

12vElectronics
Sep 17, 2013, 12:38 AM
Wait, isn't every company like that? :rolleyes:

----------

They could offer it for free and I still wouldn't sign up with them. Their network is so horrendous.

No. Every company wants new customers. Smart company's know that keeping existing customers is smart.

macs4nw
Sep 17, 2013, 02:16 AM
I can't remember any other Apple launch when so many carriers and stores have offered such steep discounts. For Sprint, it could be an attempt to make up for all those iPhone purchases they had to guarantee from Apple. Or perhaps it's Apple ensuring that these iPhones sell like hotcakes to boost their faltering market share. Or maybe these are the "cheap" iPhones we've all been waiting for...

Exactly what I was thinking. With more and more carriers offering the iPhones, meeting these quotas of minimum shipments from Apple may just have become a bit more challenging, driving some of the players to go that extra mile to ensure they can satisfy said quotas. Which is good for us consumers.

Unfortunately the best deals are coming from the carriers with the networks that need the most improvement.

sclawis300
Sep 17, 2013, 07:00 AM
Wow! And I mean that in a bad way.

I actually expect a sale out for the iPhone 5s just because of short stock. Apple wants people to stand in line for the free publicity. That should help Apple create buzz but it will suck because their losing potential sales.
And I know for sure the iPhone 5c will be a failure. It may not be upfront but in 1 to 2 months it will be old news. It's a forgettable colorful plastic iPhone 5. And after the holidays both phones will be irrelevant because of the rampant iPhone 6 rumors.

So what you are saying is...it will be the exact same as every other year?

unplugme71
Sep 17, 2013, 08:17 AM

Exactly.

Oh, you been with us for 15 years. Cool.

I'm hearing rumors Apple is being sued (class action) over the fact they first made iCloud free from members who once had to pay for this service (ie .Mac and MobileMe) and now they are offering iWork and iLife for free with purchase of new Mac or iOS device and not offering any refunds or credits to those who previously purchased it.

----------

No. Every company wants new customers. Smart company's know that keeping existing customers is smart.

Loyality went out the window years ago.

Very few big companies offer loyality and it seems to be mostly small businesses that do it the most like mom and pop shops.

If a business does not treat you as a loyal customer, there's no reason to be a loyal customer.

kenetic
Sep 17, 2013, 10:18 AM
I don't want it. Thanks

twoehr
Sep 17, 2013, 10:59 AM
Normally I'm accepting of a "new customer" discount when I'm a current customer, but that is usually because there are also offers to existing customers too, or I just understand the rationale behind the offer. In this case I'd agree with others that Sprint's product and latest pricing is so poor, and their retention is low, literally negative, that they should really extend this to current customers. Considering that in this industry a customer can switch to another provider without even needing to call their current provider to cancel, giving an opportunity to entice them to stay, it is even more paramount to retaining customers.