PDA

View Full Version : Apple Begins Accepting iPhone 5s Reservations in China, Multiple Models Sold Out

MacRumors
Sep 16, 2013, 10:37 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/16/apple-begins-accepting-iphone-5s-reservations-in-china-multiple-models-sold-out/)

Customers in China (http://www.apple.com/cn/retail/iphone/) and Hong Kong (http://www.apple.com/hk/en/retail/iphone/) who are aiming to purchase an iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c in an Apple Store are now able to make reservations for the device on Apple's website.Reserve iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c online today for pickup at an Apple Retail Store beginning September 20. When you come in, we'll help you pick the right rate plan, transfer your contacts, set up your email, and more.Apple's reservation system, which was revamped (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/30/apple-seeks-to-thwart-iphone-scalpers-in-hong-kong-with-new-reservation-system/) last year, is designed to thwart would-be scalpers, an issue (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/30/iphone-scalpers-force-temporary-closure-of-beijing-apple-retail-store/) that has plagued Apple releases in China for years.

Under the system, consumers are able to reserve a phone for pickup, but are still required to visit an Apple Retail Store on launch day to purchase and setup the device.

It appears that initial supplies of the iPhone 5s are limited, and multiple stores have sold out of all models of the iPhone 5s, though some are still offering the "Space Gray" 16GB version. Most models of the iPhone 5c remain in stock.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/iphonechina.jpg
Apple is not accepting pre-orders (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/iphone-5s-will-not-be-available-for-pre-order/) for the iPhone 5s. Instead, U.S. customers will be able to purchase the device online beginning at 12:01 AM Pacific Time on Friday, September 20 and at 8:00 AM in retail locations. Order periods for the rest of the world appear to be staggered (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/16/launch-day-availability-of-unlocked-iphone-5c-models-continues-to-slip/), with online ordering times varying based on local time.

Article Link: Apple Begins Accepting iPhone 5s Reservations in China, Multiple Models Sold Out (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/16/apple-begins-accepting-iphone-5s-reservations-in-china-multiple-models-sold-out/)

haruhiko
Sep 16, 2013, 10:41 PM
This year Apple implemented a new SMS confirmation system that requires customers to send an SMS to a designated local number by a local registered mobile phone number, and a confirmation code will then be sent back to that phone and the code is required on the reservation webpage, practically blocking out mainland Chinese who try to reserve all iPhones in Hong Kong.

The reservation opened at 6am in Hong Kong and the server was instantly overloaded probably by traffic from mainland China and was not accessible until after 7:30am when the mainland Chinese realised that they could not simply reserve phones by automated process ("bots").

Buttersbottom
Sep 16, 2013, 10:41 PM
no one wants the small black one.

stephen1108
Sep 16, 2013, 10:42 PM
Hopefully this will be implemented in the US....

techpr
Sep 16, 2013, 10:45 PM
no one wants the small black one.

Apple must to Kill the 16GB model already :mad:

32, 64, 128.

orangebluedevil
Sep 16, 2013, 10:56 PM
5C preorders all say 1-2 weeks in HK, judging from store.apple.com/hk

haruhiko
Sep 16, 2013, 10:58 PM
5C preorders all say 1-2 weeks in HK, judging from store.apple.com/hk

Physical Apple Store reservation =/= Apple Online Store pre-orders. Today's reservation is for picking up the iPhones on launch day 20th September 2013. Conincidentally, 20/9 is a public holiday in Hong Kong so I can go to the store and pick it up. :)

orangebluedevil
Sep 16, 2013, 11:01 PM
Physical Apple Store reservation =/= Apple Online Store pre-orders. Today's reservation is for picking up the iPhones on launch day 20th September 2013. Conincidentally, 20/9 is a public holiday in Hong Kong so I can go to the store and pick it up. :)

Even for 5C? Here in US, preorder means it shows up at your home on launch day 9/20. Absoutely could be different there, just trying to learn.

What's the page to see this 5S stock for HK/CHina? i can't find it, located in US

haruhiko
Sep 16, 2013, 11:14 PM
Even for 5C? Here in US, preorder means it shows up at your home on launch day 9/20. Absoutely could be different there, just trying to learn.

What's the page to see this 5S stock for HK/CHina? i can't find it, located in US

http://www.apple.com/hk/en/retail

PBF
Sep 16, 2013, 11:53 PM
I can't believe the space gray model is not popular AT ALL.

I'm so tired of my white iPhone that I'm going with the black one this time around, which happens to be the space gray model. :D

haruhiko
Sep 16, 2013, 11:55 PM

I'm so tired of my white iPhone that I'm going with the black one this time around, which happens to be the space gray model. :D

The black one is most prone to [edit: visible coloring altering] scratches

Brandon263
Sep 17, 2013, 12:09 AM
This year Apple implemented a new SMS confirmation system that requires customers to send an SMS to a designated local number by a local registered mobile phone number, and a confirmation code will then be sent back to that phone and the code is required on the reservation webpage, practically blocking out mainland Chinese who try to reserve all iPhones in Hong Kong.

The reservation opened at 6am in Hong Kong and the server was instantly overloaded probably by traffic from mainland China and was not accessible until after 7:30am when the mainland Chinese realised that they could not simply reserve phones by automated process ("bots").

Actually, Apple also used a text message confirmation system for booking reservations in mainland China, and the system also went online at about 7:40ish in the mainland, and was showing an error message before then. Apple seemed to have had trouble with their reservation system.

I'd hazard a guess that most mainland Chinese actually prefer to buy their iPhones in China rather than Hong Kong because paying US$143 more to buy the phone in China is worth not going through the hassle and cost of going back and forth between China and Hong Kong.

PBF
Sep 17, 2013, 12:12 AM
The black one is most prone to scratches
Wrong.

All models are prone to scratches. It's just a matter of visibility of those scratches.

haruhiko
Sep 17, 2013, 12:13 AM
Actually, Apple also used a text message confirmation system for booking reservations in mainland China, and the system also went online at about 7:40ish in the mainland, and was showing an error message before then. Apple seemed to have had trouble with their reservation system.

I'd hazard a guess that most mainland Chinese actually prefer to buy their iPhones in China rather than Hong Kong because paying US$143 to buy the phone in China is worth not going through the hassle and cost of going back and forth between China and Hong Kong.

A base unlocked iPhone 5s in China costs RMB5,288, which is ~HK$6,698 i.e. 17.8% higher than in Hong Kong. Most of the people who used bot to paralyze the website are scalpers and this profit margin is attractive to them. Of course a bona fide purchaser in China won't go through all the hassle but scalpers don't care. Going back and forth between China and Hong Kong costs less than HK$100.

Brandon263
Sep 17, 2013, 12:34 AM
A base unlocked iPhone 5s in China costs RMB5,288, which is ~HK$6,698 i.e. 17.8% higher than in Hong Kong. Most of the people who used bot to paralyze the website are scalpers and this profit margin is attractive to them. Of course a bona fide purchaser in China won't go through all the hassle but scalpers don't care. Going back and forth between China and Hong Kong costs less than HK$100.

No, actually, going back and forth between China and Hong Kong costs way much more than HK$100, unless you're living in Guangdong, and even then, you'd have to be living in Shenzhen to pay only HK$100 to get a return train ticket to Hong Kong.

I'm not familiar with the scalping business, but I don't see why scalpers would use bots to access both Apple's Hong Kong website and its China website. As both websites went up at roughly the same time, I'd say that Apple simply delayed/was having trouble getting both sites up, not that mysterious Chinese scalpers were trying to get low-priced iPhones from Hong Kong.

Anyone who has pre-ordered iPhones online in the US knows that sometimes Apple says that they'll start accepting at one time only to have them have the website up at another, later time.

Al3004
Sep 17, 2013, 12:57 AM
You would have thought that Apple would be using iMessage for those who used their iOS device to register instead of SMS.

iSayuSay
Sep 17, 2013, 01:36 AM
Most models of the iPhone 5c remain in stock.

Best quote of the day ... Hope it will be tanked soon and makes Apple learn what "cheap" means.

iMcLovin
Sep 17, 2013, 01:51 AM
:( GUess we won┤t be seeing this phone in Scandinavia for quite a while. Can┤t belive Apple manages to do this same mistake every time they release a product.

macs4nw
Sep 17, 2013, 02:35 AM
Best quote of the day ... Hope it will be tanked soon and makes Apple learn what "cheap" means.

Apple themselves never once said they were coming out with a 'cheap phone'. That was all speculated by rumor sites, columnists and bloggers. You know better, they don't market 'cheap' products. Perhaps it was also wishful thinking on our part.

Still I believe there is a healthy market for the 5C; let's face it, it's not even released yet, pre-orders only. Way too early to write it off as a failure.

JarJarThomas
Sep 17, 2013, 03:09 AM

"We dont make cheap phones" Tim Cook.
5C is not a CHEAP phone. It is better than most androids out there. It is a improved i▄hone5 in a new case.

BornAgainMac
Sep 17, 2013, 03:11 AM

It would send a clear message to Apple if most sales focused on the iPhone 5s in China. Apple is really pushing the slightly less expensive iPhone 5C with last years tech in order to make huge margins.

Mactendo
Sep 17, 2013, 03:21 AM
So, the Cheap and Chinese 5c isn't popular in China. Fail, Mr. Cook. We're eagerly awaiting your apologies letter. And let Ive sign in advance, for the tomorrow release of iOS 7.
Or better fire yourself.

BSDanalyst
Sep 17, 2013, 03:25 AM
China and their bots never fail to amaze me..

krewger
Sep 17, 2013, 03:28 AM
I'm still laughing as people whine that the 5c is not cheap. Apple isn't a cheap brand just like Porsche isn't. Porsche does not compete with Baseline Toyota. It's not Porsche's focus to make entry level cars and it's not Apple's focus to do that with their product lines either. That doesn't mean that a entry level Toyota isn't a good reliable product. Those sell well. Apple and Porsche just aren't interested in catering to the low end, yes there is missed sale opportunities because they do this but long as they are making a profit and have a loyal customer base that keeps spending money with high profit margins then it's not a problem. Analysts need to shut up and go get a real job. Selling one premium product with a high profit margin is way better than having to produce five or ten low profit margin items to make the same money.

lk400
Sep 17, 2013, 03:49 AM

I'm quite certain that they know what it means, but I am curious when they every said they were doing a cheap phone, or that the 5C was that cheap phone. If they were never aiming for cheap, its a bit hard to claim they missed the mark.

cube
Sep 17, 2013, 04:13 AM
I think few people would prefer the 5c based on colour. The main reason to buy it is because it costs less than the 5s, but there's not enough difference.

The 5c is not worth more than $239 contract-free, IMHO.

Icaras
Sep 17, 2013, 04:46 AM

Who said it was ever going to be cheap again? Oh right, rumor sites.

Stop talking yourself into believing that the 5c is actually a completely brand new product. It isn't. It's still an iPhone 5. Same specs (and some that are better actually). At $99 contract price, as it's always been in Apple's tradition.

If anything, the 5c should prove to be quite a resilient and successful product in the marketplace, given the facelift and Apple's focus on heavy marketing of a 1 year old product.

5C is not a CHEAP phone. It is better than most androids out there. It is a improved i▄hone5 in a new case.

Yep. Exactly. Love that quote, because of how true Apple was to their word.

Apple themselves never once said they were coming out with a 'cheap phone'. That was all speculated by rumor sites, columnists and bloggers. You know better, they don't market 'cheap' products. Perhaps it was also wishful thinking on our part.

Still I believe there is a healthy market for the 5C; let's face it, it's not even released yet, pre-orders only. Way too early to write it off as a failure.

Yea, the most direct evidence ever spoken, and from Apple themselves. Rumor sites just blew this thing way out of proportion.

r3m1
Sep 17, 2013, 05:13 AM

If the consumer thinks "C" stands for cheap than no matter what Apple says - the phone will be regarded as what the consumer believes it is "cheap"

osofast240sx
Sep 17, 2013, 05:14 AM

It's no money down! On most carriers. Sorry you missed that!

Klae17
Sep 17, 2013, 05:15 AM
I think few people would prefer the 5c based on colour. The main reason to buy it is because it costs less than the 5s, but there's not enough difference.

Apple isn't going to give away their phones, much like you wouldn't go to your job if you stopped getting paid.

osofast240sx
Sep 17, 2013, 05:17 AM
If the consumer thinks "C" stands for cheap than no matter what Apple says - the phone will be regarded as what the consumer believes it is "cheap"
Do u have proof to back up your theory??

cube
Sep 17, 2013, 05:20 AM
Do u have proof to back up your theory??

It is obvious that it looks cheap compared to iPhone 4, 4S, 5, and 5S.

It would be a nice phone at the right price.

osofast240sx
Sep 17, 2013, 05:54 AM
It is obvious that it looks cheap compared to iPhone 4, 4S, 5, and 5S.

It would be a nice phone at the right price.
That's a matter of opinion and I haven't actually held one in my hand have you? Let's not forget most of androids top-of-the-line phones are plastic this iPhone C is definitely a superior build Quality. The right price it's no money down,

GuyCalledPete
Sep 17, 2013, 05:57 AM

32, 64, 128.
Yes - I have an iPhone 4S, the biggest issue I have is running out of storage (mostly music [yes, paid-for music]), and I want my music on my phone, I don't want to be dependant on a data connection to be able to retrieve it.

I am continually archiving off photos, deleting apps, cleaning up books/PDFs/etc, and desperatly trying to manage my space, and I currently have 159 MB of free space on my 64 GB phone.

I didn't upgrade to the 5 because there was no 128 GB option, and I will not upgrade to the 5S (no matter how shiny it looks) as long as it does not resolve my biggest issue.

The wife is happy, because that left me with spare money this year to spring on a very expensive sewing machine she's been drooling over, instead of buying myself a new phone.

Fingers crossed for next year...

-- Pete.

cube
Sep 17, 2013, 05:59 AM
That's a matter of opinion and I haven't actually held one in my hand have you? Let's not forget most of androids top-of-the-line phones are plastic this iPhone C is definitely a superior build Quality

I don't need to see it it person. it might be high quality plastic, but it's not premium like the others.

So, it's just a plastic phone. I had a white Xperia Neo V which looked very nice, and it was only $239 unlocked.

osofast240sx
Sep 17, 2013, 06:04 AM
I don't need to see it it person. it might be high quality plastic, but it's not premium like the others.

So, it's just a plastic phone. I had a white Xperia Neo V which looked very nice, and it was only $239 unlocked.

But it is a premium for consumers coming into the smartphone market.

Most of consumers are still on subsidy so how can you expect Apple To gear their business around a small set segment of consumers that by unlocked phones out right?

Xperia They look nice but the user experience is horrible

CKA
Sep 17, 2013, 06:09 AM

32, 64, 128.

Agreed. I really want a 128G as I took a lot of videos and pictures. My 64G get full sometimes and I need to move out some contents

----------

C for cheap was only what some analysts believed.. Sounds like for Apple, C means for 'colour' only.

CEmajr
Sep 17, 2013, 06:15 AM

A lot of these are probably being bought for profit and the black iPhone has always had slightly lower resale value than the white. This is likely the case.

CKA
Sep 17, 2013, 06:22 AM
No, actually, going back and forth between China and Hong Kong costs way much more than HK$100, unless you're living in Guangdong, and even then, you'd have to be living in Shenzhen to pay only HK$100 to get a return train ticket to Hong Kong.

I'm not familiar with the scalping business, but I don't see why scalpers would use bots to access both Apple's Hong Kong website and its China website. As both websites went up at roughly the same time, I'd say that Apple simply delayed/was having trouble getting both sites up, not that mysterious Chinese scalpers were trying to get low-priced iPhones from Hong Kong.

Anyone who has pre-ordered iPhones online in the US knows that sometimes Apple says that they'll start accepting at one time only to have them have the website up at another, later time.

I believed some of those scalpers are also local Hong Kong as well, from last few years experience, so I liked what Apple did this year. You really need to pay for that SMS if you really want to buy and one cannot buy with different credit cards and ID/passport and names (with initial or not, chinese+ english) like last year.

----------

But it is a premium for consumers coming into the smartphone market.

Most of consumers are still on subsidy so how can you expect Apple To gear their business around a small set segment of consumers that by unlocked phones out right?

Xperia They look nice but the user experience is horrible

If you don't care about the battery, and don't mind to pay for repairment when your Xperia got water inside... (Yes. Got water inside will void the warranty for Xperia here in Hong Kong). Then a Xperia may not be bad. :D

----------

Honestly speaking, I concured with you.

With that price tag, I will either buy IP5 or go up for the new IP5S. Personally I liked the metal build of IP5/5S more than plastic even it may look great.

QCassidy352
Sep 17, 2013, 07:24 AM

$239?? You do realize that had they not introduced the 5c, they'd be selling the 5 at the exact pricepoint of the 5c, right? Why are people so bent out of shape about the price? Did you complain about the price of the 4s last year when the 5 came out?

cdmoore74
Sep 17, 2013, 07:34 AM
The 5c might be one of the worse iphone models ever. The internals are not bad. It's the cost and the child like colors. How hard it it to make a all black or all white plastic phone?
And for $100 more you get a true Apple flagship that will be supported for at least one additional year vs the c model. Isn't that one year worth $100?

cube
Sep 17, 2013, 07:36 AM
$239?? You do realize that had they not introduced the 5c, they'd be selling the 5 at the exact pricepoint of the 5c, right? Why are people so bent out of shape about the price? Did you complain about the price of the 4s last year when the 5 came out?

The 5 would be a premium product compared to the competition, the 5c is just a plastic phone (Apple is not the only one that can make nice plastic hardware).

And iPhones are always too expensive.

TheRealTVGuy
Sep 17, 2013, 07:39 AM
I wonder how we'll the 5c will fare...

cdmoore74
Sep 17, 2013, 07:42 AM

The issue is that Apple made it cheaper yet still charges the same $100 on contract price. Why not just leave the iphone 5 alone and tweak the colors for the 5s (which they did for 2 out of the 3 phones). If HTC can release a blue and red metal Htc One why not do the same? Why take steps backwards with plastic when there's no advantage to the customer?
It's very obvious that the iphone 5c is not working.

Rogifan
Sep 17, 2013, 08:02 AM
The issue is that Apple made it cheaper yet still charges the same $100 on contract price. Why not just leave the iphone 5 alone and tweak the colors for the 5s (which they did for 2 out of the 3 phones). If HTC can release a blue and red metal Htc One why not do the same? Why take steps backwards with plastic when there's no advantage to the customer?

To some customers there might be an advantage with the 5C in terms of durability. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

QCassidy352
Sep 17, 2013, 08:06 AM
To some customers there might be an advantage with the 5C in terms of durability. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Not to mention that some customers will prefer it for the colors. Also, plastic doesn't mean cheap. Cheap means cheap. There's good plastic and bad plastic, and good metal and bad metal. The reviews say the 5c still feels like a premium product.

cube
Sep 17, 2013, 08:06 AM

I'm always uneasy handling my 4S, but that does not make the 5c a desirable product.

Jman13
Sep 17, 2013, 08:22 AM
You can't judge the 5C on pre-orders. Let's face it...the people who pre-order are the people who are going to want the flagship. The majority of 5C buyers are going to see the commercials and think '$99...I want one!' My sister, who is still using a 3Gs, is very excited for the 5C. I have no desire...mainly because I already have the 5, but even if I didn't, I'd go for the 5S just because I want the flagship device and all that comes with it. The 5C is a fine phone..it's the same phone I have now, just with a different shell, but people aren't going to line up for it. I still think it sells a boatload, though.

Mrg02d
Sep 17, 2013, 08:23 AM
For $100 more, you get SOOOOOO much more in the 5s!

Sodner
Sep 17, 2013, 08:27 AM
Ya I like the way Apple gets blamed for the 5c not being "inexpensive" when they never said it would be. Analysts said it. And they were wrong.

The 5c is a redesigned iPhone 5. Slightly improved internals and a new outer shell. And yes it's plastic, like 99% of the phones that are manufactured are. But from what we are hearing, its a well made, solid feeling phone that bests most others.

As always if you like it, buy it. If not, move along.

QCassidy352
Sep 17, 2013, 08:44 AM
For $100 more, you get SOOOOOO much more in the 5s!

Same was true when they were selling the 4s as the premium product and the 4 for $100 less, and even more so with the 5 and the 4s. People continue to buy the cheaper one in large numbers, even when it's the older model, not a "new" model.

RVijay007
Sep 17, 2013, 08:51 AM

32, 64, 128.

They'll kill it once their long term supply contract for 16GB flash memory expires or becomes cheap enough to renegotiate to 32GB.

scottwaugh
Sep 17, 2013, 08:52 AM

Really? Very obvious that the 5c is not working? And you can't even buy and use one yet?

And its not a top of the line phone - so you wouldn't expect alot of pre-orders for it anyways...just like the 4s didn't sellout when it dropped $100 to mid range in Apple's lineup last year (or Samsung's mid-range GS4 mini didn't sellout on release either).

The 5c is just a replacement for the 5 (the -$100 mid range phone in Apple's lineup) - and its target market is not people who make reservations for the flagship phone - its for the walk ins who want an iPhone & don't have to have the latest specs, folks that like color and people who have 2 year contracts and want to save 50%/$100 on a new iphone compared to top of the line - and these groups are much bigger than the ones who pre-order the new top of the line the week its released.

I'd guess if they offered the 5s in both the metallic and color forms the color version would outsell the metallic (it's new, different and screams notice me, which alot of phone buyers want - however counterintuitive the value proposition might be). Apple is going to loose some 5s sales to the 5c because of the looks - they'll also get a bunch of 4s sales upscaling to the 5c because of the color.

Don't you worry yourself cdmoore74, the 5c will do great in the marketplace - but don't expect it to sellout on pre-orders, that's not its market, its Apple's mid-range phone.

spazzcat
Sep 17, 2013, 09:10 AM
The black one is most prone to [edit: visible coloring altering] scratches

Which is why I'm guessing it's no longer black.

osofast240sx
Sep 17, 2013, 09:45 AM
The 5c might be one of the worse iphone models ever. The internals are not bad. It's the cost and the child like colors. How hard it it to make a all black or all white plastic phone?
And for $100 more you get a true Apple flagship that will be supported for at least one additional year vs the c model. Isn't that one year worth $100?
You can always put a slim black case On a white one.

----------

The plastic was a genius idea you have so many people that put thick Waterproof cases over their iPhones This plastic iPhone is perfect for that

ckurt25
Sep 17, 2013, 09:55 AM
So why is Apple taking pre orders for the 5S in China / Hong Kong, but not in the US?

Also, I'd rather have a plastic phone, if it means it's more durable and easier to hold on to.

heutusops
Sep 17, 2013, 10:21 AM
well, Cook would be really happy to see this, he was really concerned about the chinese market.:)

FrozenDarkness
Sep 17, 2013, 11:40 AM
Hilarious how mich stock people put into "selling out" a product but when a product sells out they just assume there was supply shortage.

Dionte
Sep 17, 2013, 11:56 AM
What about me, I want to preorder.

macconservative
Sep 17, 2013, 01:00 PM
I'm still laughing as people whine that the 5c is not cheap. Apple isn't a cheap brand just like Porsche isn't. Porsche does not compete with Baseline Toyota. It's not Porsche's focus to make entry level cars and it's not Apple's focus to do that with their product lines either. That doesn't mean that a entry level Toyota isn't a good reliable product. Those sell well. Apple and Porsche just aren't interested in catering to the low end, yes there is missed sale opportunities because they do this but long as they are making a profit and have a loyal customer base that keeps spending money with high profit margins then it's not a problem. Analysts need to shut up and go get a real job. Selling one premium product with a high profit margin is way better than having to produce five or ten low profit margin items to make the same money.

I wonder exactly what is considered cheap. Subsidized price for the 5c is $99 and $199. Unlocked price of 5c is about the same cost as unlocked Samsung S4

JayCee842
Sep 17, 2013, 04:42 PM

32, 64, 128.

Perhaps in another two or three years? :D

iSayuSay
Sep 17, 2013, 08:01 PM

Yeah .. iPhone 5C price is definitely NOT cheap. But Apple is cheaping out with the 5C. Less expensive material of choice, cheap packaging, cheap accesories, less battery than 5S, last year's SoC, last year's tech. Apple said the thicker chassis is to compensate bigger battery but even then the 5S battery has bigger capacity in a thinner design.
And you're okay with that for $549?

Being "less expensive but not cheap" is okay. But 5C is about "cutting corners because Apple wants more money"

Even a "cheap" iPod Touch is better than that. Aluminum body, sleeker design, equally cheap packaging but with a more budget conscious price range making it easily forgivable.

Ya I like the way Apple gets blamed for the 5c not being "inexpensive" when they never said it would be. Analysts said it. And they were wrong.

The 5c is a redesigned iPhone 5. Slightly improved internals and a new outer shell. And yes it's plastic, like 99% of the phones that are manufactured are. But from what we are hearing, its a well made, solid feeling phone that bests most others.

As always if you like it, buy it. If not, move along.

Yes, until it's proven otherwise. Remember 3G and 3GS?
Of course it's shiny and great when it's new, that's just too obvious now, isn't it?
They were nice plastic phones too until they aged horribly and shows stress induced cracks in some sensitive area, decolorozing, nasty scratches and all problems you never encountered or expected earlier.

Those are the reasons Apple decided to improve the design with glass/stainless steel combo with 4/4S and Aluminum with the 5/5S and now they're taking one step backward AGAIN by going back to polycarbonate.

And you know what? The design worked! my 4S is still looking great even after 20 months of ownership. No visible scratches even on the steel band nor the glass body. Even the Al body of the 5 is nowhere near as durable as 4/4S. That's what I call quality!

haruhiko
Sep 18, 2013, 06:16 AM
Yeah .. iPhone 5C price is definitely NOT cheap. But Apple is cheaping out with the 5C. Less expensive material of choice, cheap packaging, cheap accesories, less battery than 5S, last year's SoC, last year's tech. Apple said the thicker chassis is to compensate bigger battery but even then the 5S battery has bigger capacity in a thinner design.
And you're okay with that for $549?

Being "less expensive but not cheap" is okay. But 5C is about "cutting corners because Apple wants more money"

Even a "cheap" iPod Touch is better than that. Aluminum body, sleeker design, equally cheap packaging but with a more budget conscious price range making it easily forgivable.

Yes, until it's proven otherwise. Remember 3G and 3GS?
Of course it's shiny and great when it's new, that's just too obvious now, isn't it?
They were nice plastic phones too until they aged horribly and shows stress induced cracks in some sensitive area, decolorozing, nasty scratches and all problems you never encountered or expected earlier.

Those are the reasons Apple decided to improve the design with glass/stainless steel combo with 4/4S and Aluminum with the 5/5S and now they're taking one step backward AGAIN by going back to polycarbonate.

And you know what? The design worked! my 4S is still looking great even after 20 months of ownership. No visible scratches even on the steel band nor the glass body. Even the Al body of the 5 is nowhere near as durable as 4/4S. That's what I call quality!
Even Apple said in the small prints that the colour of the iPhone 5c will change over time.

ekrueger24
Sep 18, 2013, 07:02 AM
So why is Apple taking pre orders for the 5S in China / Hong Kong, but not in the US?

Good question. I do know that in the past launches before instituting the system they have now, scalpers would come in troves, pay elderly to stand in line, and buy phones by the cart full, take them back to China where they can sell them for a huge profit. In fact, for the last few years, in the cell phone markets in Mong Kok or Wan Chai, the newest iPhone would easily retail for 2-3 times more than you could get it from a carrier or Apple simply due to high demand and low supply.

So, to combat huge queues and scalped phones, Apple put a reservation system in place (last year it was a lottery) and put a strict limit of 2 phones per ID. This year they raised the bar and required a HK phone number.

Apparently didn't stop the scalpers as the entire system was frozen out and when the smoke cleared everything was gone except 1 model.

Personally, I will be waiting until the Online store sells them. Hopefully the system doesn't collapse and I can get the phone with relative ease

haruhiko
Sep 18, 2013, 09:40 AM
Good question. I do know that in the past launches before instituting the system they have now, scalpers would come in troves, pay elderly to stand in line, and buy phones by the cart full, take them back to China where they can sell them for a huge profit. In fact, for the last few years, in the cell phone markets in Mong Kok or Wan Chai, the newest iPhone would easily retail for 2-3 times more than you could get it from a carrier or Apple simply due to high demand and low supply.

So, to combat huge queues and scalped phones, Apple put a reservation system in place (last year it was a lottery) and put a strict limit of 2 phones per ID. This year they raised the bar and required a HK phone number.

Apparently didn't stop the scalpers as the entire system was frozen out and when the smoke cleared everything was gone except 1 model.

Personally, I will be waiting until the Online store sells them. Hopefully the system doesn't collapse and I can get the phone with relative ease

When the smoke cleared I think we still had about 30 minutes or so to order... that's how I reserved mine. But it was after 7:30am.

ekrueger24
Sep 19, 2013, 09:02 AM
When the smoke cleared I think we still had about 30 minutes or so to order... that's how I reserved mine. But it was after 7:30am.

Lucky for you... I think I check in a little too late as I just gave up. I don't know what I was thinking though... I wasn't thrilled with the idea of battling the people down at IFC or trekking to Kowloon Tong or CWB (as they are further from my flat).

When I did notice the servers were responding again, only the 16GB model was left. I took a gamble on the online ordering to get 32GB and accepted having it delivered (hopefully) the following week. Let's see how this goes... 2 hours left