Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
My daughter accidentally spilled orange juice on our MBA. It powered off and after cleaning it up my wife tried switching it on (I know she shouldn't have). We let it be for about 5 days but it still won't turn on or charge. From what I've read it sounds like the it is probably a logic board issue and likely expensive to repair (the MBA is almost 3 years old so not worth the repair cost).

Should i even bother taking it to the apple store and have them take a look or is it pretty hopeless and the trip would be a waste of time?

Thanks.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I'd say it's pretty hopeless.

Sorry.

However, if the Apple store isn't too far away, you may as well take it in just in case. And if they tell you it will be hundreds to fix, then just buy a new Air while you're there. (That is, of course, assuming you were planning on replacing it.) Also, since your current Air is three years old, you can use the justification that there have been A LOT of changes and upgrades to the current model Air that will also help make the upgrade/replacement worth it. Battery life is probably the most noticeable one. Oh, and having USB 3 is nice since just about all new external HD's and a lot of thumb-drives support it.

Good luck and I feel for you with the orange juice spillage. My own daughter killed one of my laptops spilling soda on it many years ago. Of course that was just an old Windows machine... so no big loss ;)

hexblot

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2011
Athens,Greece
After you attempt all other options, try fixing it yourself. Worst case your trash will come in pieces.

And by that I mean - carefully unscrew and open it. I believe there will be OJ on the logic board, shorting it. Use some alchohol (not the drinkable sort) on some cotton and swipe it off. Let it evaporate, and screw it back together. It just might work.

If you're using the late 2010 model, here's the tutorial on how to open it (plenty of pictures, tools etc ) :
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Air+11-Inch+Late+2010+Teardown/3745/1

Using that I managed to swap out my SSD, and repair a friend's MBA from a coke spill :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.