Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parrotlvr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
Hi All,

Just purchased a jailbroken Apple TV1 and for some reason it won't allow the remote to turn it on. The light doesn't flicker chnage color nothing. However if I unplug it, it works great, reacts to the remote as required.

I emailed the guys I bought it from and he told me that is just the way it is. with all the new programming installed the remote won't work to turn it on. He said to just leave it on and it goes into sleep mode after a certain time of inactivity.

Is this true and is it safe to never shut it off. It seems to get pretty warm when its running.

Sorry these maybe dumb questions but I am not super tech savy.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
When you say the remote won't "turn it on" do you mean wake it from the dim screen saver ? I am going to presume your hacked atv 1 (which is the proper term for the atv 1 hacks as its really not a "jailbreak" as per the atv 2 and atv 3 but, I digress ) is running XBMC as its primary media player.

In fact neither the stock atv software or the hacked atv software of any flavor allows you to turn the atv on or off via the remote. All atvs have one way of being truly turned on or off (meaning there is no power to the unit). That is to plug the atv in to turn it on or unplug it to turn it off. Period.

I am going to presume you mean to take it out of "screensaver" dim sleep. Yes, if the hack is done properly your remote should "wake it up" and brighten the screen and make it responsive.

Again I stress. The atvs of any flavor cannot truly be shut down or turned back on via remote. Only way is to plug or unplug. Yes, the atv 1 unless you unplug it physically will still create heat as its always "on" when its plugged in.

That said if once you reboot it the remote can "wake it up" out of dim screensaver (which does lower the cpu load as its not doing too much) but after a while it won't work. There is an issue with the hack. I run two hacked atv 1's running xbmc (linux) and the screen does dim after a period of time but as soon as you touch any button on the remote it brightens up and becomes responsive.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Oh, and yes it is safe to leave it on. The AppleTV 1 uses the top of the unit as a huge heat sink. It will feel warm to hot but it is designed that way. My oldest one was preordered when it was first announced. It must be by now over six years old and is "on" all of the time. Never had an issue. It is part of the design, for better or worse depending on your viewpoint.

Parrotlvr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
Thank you.

Thank you Dynaflash,
My Hacked unit will only TURN ON from the powered off state by unplug and replugging it in.
I will just shut off the TV from now on when I am done and it will go into Sleep mode all by itself.

It was a little confusing at first... but with this clarified I am very happy with the unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.