PDA

View Full Version : First iOS 7 Reviews: Everything Improved, iTunes Radio Recommendations Are 'Frighteningly Accurate'

MacRumors
Sep 17, 2013, 09:08 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/17/first-ios-7-reviews-everything-improved-itunes-radio-recommendations-are-frighteningly-accurate/)

At its September 10 iPhone event, Apple provided multiple publications with iPhones running iOS 7. The embargo has now lifted on review posts, so we have gathered some relevant excerpts from each site in order to highlight general release reactions to Apple's new operating system.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/ios72.jpg
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop (http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/09/17/review-iphone-5c-and-iphone-5s/)
iOS 7 isn't a big change functionally from what we're all used to with iOS 6. Apple kept most of things we know about how to use the operating system and integrated them with the design.

Of course, that is the big change with the new iOS--the look and feel are newer, some would say flatter. While we were all a bit shocked with the look when it was first introduced, it doesn't take long to adapt. In fact, there are many things I like better.David Pogue, The New York Times (http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/17/yes-theres-a-new-iphone-but-thats-not-the-big-news/)
The complete absence of graphic embellishments makes it especially utilitarian -- in both senses of the word. That's good, because whatever button or function you need is easier to find; it's bad, because, well, it can look a little boring.

Then again, the new look is primarily visible at the Home screen, where a jarringly different color palette greets you on the Apple app icons, and on the options screen. The rest of the time, you'll be using your regular apps, many of which will look no different than before.Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch (http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/17/ios-7-review-apple/)
The recommendations iTunes Radio serves up based on genres and artists I like were very (frighteningly?) accurate, and that makes for a thoroughly enjoyable lean-back listening experience. I'm still an Rdio fan when it comes to streaming music services, and their new personalized radio stations are also impressive, but Apple will provide everything most users need in custom Internet radio with this new feature, which is also available in an upcoming iTunes update on the desktop.Walt Mossberg, AllThingsD (http://allthingsd.com/20130917/a-new-touch-for-iphone/)
Its new look, new user interface and new functions represent the biggest overhaul to the iPhone's core software since the original model launched in 2007. Nearly everything has been improved, including multi-tasking, notifications, access to common controls, email, Web browsing and Siri. Like any big change, it's a shock at first, but I have come to like it and consider it a step forward, despite a few issues.Other Reviews

Ed Baig, USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2013/09/17/iphone-ios-7-review/2823545/)
Stuart Miles, Pocket-Lint (http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/123344-apple-ios-7-review)
Myriam Joire, Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/17/iphone-5s-review/)

iOS 7 will be released to the public tomorrow.

Article Link: First iOS 7 Reviews: Everything Improved, iTunes Radio Recommendations Are 'Frighteningly Accurate' (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/17/first-ios-7-reviews-everything-improved-itunes-radio-recommendations-are-frighteningly-accurate/)

skywalkerr69
Sep 17, 2013, 09:11 PM
Design and no major functionality changes, that's Ive.

bearsalley34
Sep 17, 2013, 09:21 PM
What time do they usually post these updates?

sbailey4
Sep 17, 2013, 09:24 PM

Wow have you even seen it? Notifications-completely different, control panel-completely new, multitasking-completely different, iTunes radio-completely new, photo albums-completely different just to name a handful. So not just new design/icons. But yes new design too now that you mention it. Just sayin Luke.

sbailey4
Sep 17, 2013, 09:25 PM

1:00pm EDT typically.

lincolntran
Sep 17, 2013, 09:26 PM
I've been using it since dp1. iOS 6 looks so dated now. The more I use it, the more I like it.

timborama
Sep 17, 2013, 09:31 PM
Not exactly a "home run" from the reviews. Calendar app is definitely a step backwards.

unobtainium
Sep 17, 2013, 09:31 PM
I didn't appreciate what a big step forward iOS 7 was until I restored to iOS 6 for a while. Not only are settings much more easily accessed in iOS 7, the whole OS just feels and LOOKS so much more modern.

FelixAng
Sep 17, 2013, 09:40 PM
I'm looking forward to that feeling when I see and old screenshot and I can't believe how archaic iOS 6 looks...

It's amazing how we suddenly forget minor details (like the old toggles, for example); but looking at iOS 7 is like landing on a new planet.

troop231
Sep 17, 2013, 09:41 PM
Several things in iOS 7 are a waste of screen real estate: the new signal 'dots', the new back chevron arrow button, white space, etc.

Also the lack of a black theme (keyboard is an example) is mind boggling. The white is good for being able to see the screen good in the sunlight, but at night it burns.

Aluminum213
Sep 17, 2013, 09:47 PM
Everything improved? Lol

They obviously haven't updated their iPad

faizoff
Sep 17, 2013, 09:54 PM
Im not sure I'll update my iphone 4 with iOS 7. It might really slow it down further.

nagromme
Sep 17, 2013, 10:03 PM
I wonder if any reviewers (or trolls) will pretend WWDC wasn't packed with thousands of meaty under-the-hood improvements, which will show up to the user as app functionality?

A review of the looks and UI alone is half a review.

xxmrcxx
Sep 17, 2013, 10:08 PM
I made a Tony Bennett radio station, and he has shown up maybe 3 times out of the past 100+ songs. If I really wanted a bunch of Frank Sinatra, I would have made a playlist for that.

lolkthxbai
Sep 17, 2013, 10:17 PM
Everything improved? Lol

They obviously haven't updated their iPad

This. LOL, I don't have my iPad running iOS 7. Is it really that bad of an experience? :P

donutbagel
Sep 17, 2013, 10:39 PM
iTunes Radio is probably accurate because Apple had Genius for so long and has been collecting data. They've always been in the best position to do something like this.

Super20
Sep 17, 2013, 10:52 PM
After using the beta for a few months, I was not impressed. I was using it on a 4S. Didn't slow it down, but it just reminds me an awful lot of the android operating system. Even thought there were similarities, I did like the colors, the stock app icons looked good (a little confusing at first to find some).....but that's about it. ""Everything improved" is a little bit of a stretch though. I did have iOS 7 installed on an iphone 4 and it was super slow.

Codyak
Sep 17, 2013, 10:55 PM
So are iPad's getting this tomorrow or not until the new hardware is released?

moderngamenewb
Sep 17, 2013, 10:57 PM

If they follow the same pattern as past history for software release times, it will probably be sometime around 9:30AM-11:30AM Pacific Time

thefourthpope
Sep 17, 2013, 11:12 PM
Not exactly a "home run" from the reviews. Calendar app is definitely a step backwards.

I got a very positive impression from the reviews (though I only read three of them in full). Where did you see the negates on the calendar? That's one of the things that--from the promo stuff--I'm most looking forward to.

maxwelltech
Sep 17, 2013, 11:22 PM
Very exited for iOS 7. No need to just rush out and buy the new iPhones just yet.

mrgraff
Sep 17, 2013, 11:25 PM
Ok, Walt and Kara need to make sure that they get their exclusive interview with Tim again. You know, the one where Tim reveals nothing, Kara contributes nothing and Tim doubles down on security. But "Everything improved" is a bit much.

gatearray
Sep 17, 2013, 11:37 PM
Geez, David Pogue is such a hack.

Whichever way the idiotic wisdom of the inter-winds are blowing, you can be sure he'll gladly regurgitate it later on in his own column. Gotta appease the fandroids, lest he be accused of Apple bias for calling a spade a spade, right?

gooberwilson
Sep 17, 2013, 11:43 PM
So are iPad's getting this tomorrow or not until the new hardware is released?

iPad's will get the update tomorrow as well.

H2SO4
Sep 17, 2013, 11:53 PM
I wonder if they've improved the alarm clock bug?

mepsi
Sep 17, 2013, 11:54 PM
I'm actually quite happy with iOS now that I've gotten used to it.

Now for Mavericks it will be the icing on the cake.

FelixAng
Sep 18, 2013, 12:27 AM
I really wish the 3 devices in this ad are not Minis, but the new iPad

SeattleMoose
Sep 18, 2013, 12:37 AM
Screwmorphism....;)

rich1383
Sep 18, 2013, 12:51 AM
1:00pm EDT typically.

A year ago it was 9am PT/noon ET...

mepsi
Sep 18, 2013, 01:00 AM
I most say it is just as accurate as Pandora and that is frightening.

SockRolid
Sep 18, 2013, 01:27 AM
And it's 64-bit all the way down to the metal.
Kernel, libraries, drivers, UI, built-in apps.
Loving iOS 7 so far, on my old iPhone 5 and iPad mini.
(Thanks to 32-bit compatibility of the ARMv8 instruction set.)

ahbiteme
Sep 18, 2013, 02:32 AM
Getting antsy. I know a lot of people are waiting awhile before upgrading in case there are some pretty interesting bugs, but I'd like to have this when it comes out! It's been September 18th in Sydney for 17.5 hours, hurry up!

Actually, I'm not all that worried. I'd just like to be able to play with something new for awhile.

Masquerade
Sep 18, 2013, 03:20 AM
I want Microsoft plus! For my iPad so i get a lot of themes thar I can choose from. Don't have to wait for a operative system update

locust76
Sep 18, 2013, 03:33 AM
This. LOL, I don't have my iPad running iOS 7. Is it really that bad of an experience? :P

Seems fine to me. Looks and feels great, just like on the iPhone.

macs4nw
Sep 18, 2013, 03:37 AM
Looking forward to updating to iOS7, but I'll wait maybe a week, just in case of some hitherto undetected doomsday bug…..lol

locust76
Sep 18, 2013, 03:51 AM
I most say it is just as accurate as Pandora and that is frightening.

I find myself constantly hitting "play more like this" because iTunes Radio keeps playing hit after hit :cool:

chairguru22
Sep 18, 2013, 03:53 AM
Im not sure I'll update my iphone 4 with iOS 7. It might really slow it down further.

I used the beta 2 of iOS7 and thought it was ok, it was a little slow on the 4S but I'm sure it's more optimized by now. The 4 I'm not sure about.

Dades
Sep 18, 2013, 04:06 AM
While I like the new look, the Photos app is irritating to use and the Reminders app has been made unusable. And the Calender App has moved too far in the other direction from skeuomorphism.

The constant flicking between white and black themes in the photo app has been driving me mad for months.

And when is that crap Podcasts app getting an update?

haruhiko
Sep 18, 2013, 04:10 AM
While I like the new look, the Photos app is irritating to use and the Reminders app has been made unusable. And the Calender App has moved too far in the other direction from skeuomorphism.

The constant flicking between white and black themes in the photo app has been driving me mad for months.

And when is that crap Podcasts app getting an update?

I think the Reminders app is really very poorly designed. They should take a look at other to do apps. The default screen should show tasks instead of lists!! The thing I care is "what do I have to do" but NOT what lists do I have! This is a very big design mistake.

Anyway I'm still quite happy with the 2do app I have been using but it hasn't been updated in a long long time.

I also hate how the Calendar app deleted the list of appointments for the day pane originally existed below the current month view.

ZeebUK
Sep 18, 2013, 04:17 AM
And where is iOS7!! Do we have to wait until 1pm EDT?

And I so want iTunes Radio! Again us Brits have to wait. We gave you Jony Ive! So why can't we have iOS7 and iTunes Radio now??

Freida
Sep 18, 2013, 04:34 AM

I have the GM on my iPhone 4 and its faster then iOS 6. Certain features are not present (like the 3d effect of the wallpaper) but overall it feels faster than before.

juanmanas
Sep 18, 2013, 05:26 AM

My iPad 3 runs great on iOS 7

jonnysods
Sep 18, 2013, 06:24 AM
I like it, but the colors still remind me of a candy store. Lots of pastels.

Chupa Chupa
Sep 18, 2013, 06:40 AM
I wonder if any reviewers (or trolls) will pretend WWDC wasn't packed with thousands of meaty under-the-hood improvements, which will show up to the user as app functionality?

Yes, but it's a big half as it's how all users expect the geekiest of the geekiest interact with their device. Windows 8 has lots of great features too but the interface is rather clunky and uninviting which is why Microsoft is now re-engineering it. If UI and features are equally 50% of the whole OS, consumers judge the UI part before moving on to features. If they give up at UI the rest is moot.

I've been using iOS7 for a week now. There are lots of great new features, but -- and I hate to sound cliche-ish -- Steve Jobs would not have approved the GM. There are too many tiny areas where easy of use is made more cumbersome or functions are hard to find intuitively or hard to read. Plus many of the motions learned in iOS 1-6 like deleting a single email are now changed which is sure to confuse and annoy consumers.

But the really deadly part of iOS7 is that its difficult to read because of the font, even when you bold it), and because there is no way for the user to change the font color from white to black or vise versa. I showed iOS7 to my 74 y.o. mom who is planning to upgrade her 4S to a 5s. This was here biggest complaint. But I'm a mere 44 and I find it hard to read and find apps now too.

I would think Ive has a lot of tweaking to do for iOS 7.2 (I assume 7.1 will be coming out very quickly and just be bug fixes).

Plutonius
Sep 18, 2013, 07:09 AM
I made a Tony Bennett radio station, and he has shown up maybe 3 times out of the past 100+ songs. If I really wanted a bunch of Frank Sinatra, I would have made a playlist for that.

The problem is you should probably make Frank Sinatra station if you want to hear Tony Bennett :D.

I would only expect Apple radio to improve over time.

AppleInTheMud
Sep 18, 2013, 07:23 AM
And where is iOS7!! Do we have to wait until 1pm EDT?

And I so want iTunes Radio! Again us Brits have to wait. We gave you Jony Ive! So why can't we have iOS7 and iTunes Radio now??

It's still very very early morning in California :-) I guess we will see it around 18.00 hours in Europe.

faizoff
Sep 18, 2013, 08:11 AM
I have the GM on my iPhone 4 and its faster then iOS 6. Certain features are not present (like the 3d effect of the wallpaper) but overall it feels faster than before.

Thanks, I'm not that keen on the 3D effect either way, other than that are there any major features not available for the 4?

Battlefield Fan
Sep 18, 2013, 08:14 AM
1PM EST can't come soon enough!!!

DaveMcM76
Sep 18, 2013, 08:33 AM
Windows 8 has lots of great features too but the interface is rather clunky and uninviting which is why Microsoft is now re-engineering it. If UI and features are equally 50% of the whole OS, consumers judge the UI part before moving on to features. If they give up at UI the rest is moot.

Praise for Windows 8? Don't you know where you are? ;)

I have to agree though - the metro/modern ui "full screen start menu" interface choice that MS made is hideous and barely unusable from a keyboard and mouse perspective but as an overall operating system (and once you are running desktop programs in desktop mode) it definitely seems to be more smooth and reliable on my laptop than even Windows 7 was...

When Apple get their backsides into gear and release the haswell macbook pros I'm hoping I can finally wave Windows goodbye for at least 95% of my home computer use with maybe the occasional trip into bootcamp for some legacy programs with no mac version.

MacVault
Sep 18, 2013, 08:45 AM
Please tell me there is web access to iTunes Radio? Ie. Pandora.com. If not, I say failure big time. I hate being locked into the iTunes app, even though there's a Windows version.

attila
Sep 18, 2013, 08:45 AM
"You'll get used to it" is a really bad excuse! Apple designs used to awe by its first impression.

E.Lizardo
Sep 18, 2013, 08:52 AM
The problem is you should probably make Frank Sinatra station if you want to hear Tony Bennett :D.

I would only expect Apple radio to improve over time.

No the Frank Sinatra station only plays Led Zeppelin.
To hear Tony Bennett you use the Herman's Hermits station.

But seriously it has a down vote button like Pandora I hope?If so down voting Francis enough times would hopefully remove him.

----------

Please tell me there is web access to iTunes Radio? Ie. Pandora.com. If not, I say failure big time. I hate being locked into the iTunes app, even though there's a Windows version.

Pretty sure you have to use iTunes,sorry.

MacVault
Sep 18, 2013, 08:58 AM
...Pretty sure you have to use iTunes,sorry.

Then no iTunes Radio for me. Browser based is king! The browser technology is very mature. When is Apple going to realize we're no longer in the '90s?

Clarification: I'm talking browser based for Mac/PC desktop. Native iTunes app for mobile devices is great!

naeS1Sean
Sep 18, 2013, 09:01 AM

Consider the fact that he is indeed a human trying to head two very important departments of one of the worlds biggest company, and direct the complete redesign of iOS, while still adding features. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but could you do better than him?

adampol15
Sep 18, 2013, 09:04 AM
God, you guys complain so much. Unless you've used this iOS for months now, don't sit here and say this is wrong and this is wrong. Trust in the company that you've invested in and download it today and try it out FOR YOURSELF for a few days. If you don't like it, head back over to iOS 6 AND I promise I'll end up seeing you back on the 7 side not shortly after.

-Adam

MacVault
Sep 18, 2013, 09:06 AM
God, you guys complain so much. Unless you've used this iOS for months now, don't sit here and say this is wrong and this is wrong. Trust in the company that you've invested in and download it today and try it out FOR YOURSELF for a few days. If you don't like it, head back over to iOS 6 AND I promise I'll end up seeing you back on the 7 side not shortly after.

-Adam

Trust the company who brought us Apple Maps?

r0gue02
Sep 18, 2013, 09:08 AM
All of the advertising material shows 9:41am on the clock is that a hint as to the release time?

blackcrayon
Sep 18, 2013, 09:16 AM

These people come from the same genius school of thought that says massive internal improvements result in "the exact same phone."

Navdakilla
Sep 18, 2013, 09:18 AM
Probably going to dabble with the nexus 5 when it comes out to see what the "dark side" is like lol

Akaba
Sep 18, 2013, 09:18 AM
Then no iTunes Radio for me. Browser based is king! The browser technology is very mature. When is Apple going to realize we're no longer in the '90s?

Clarification: I'm talking browser based for Mac/PC desktop. Native iTunes app for mobile devices is great!

Could anyone compare how much bandwith you "eat" by listening to the radio through a browser rather than through iTunes? It's just that I hate it when a website overloads me with pictures, pop-ups and suggestions I don't want ... still I have to wait fot them to download ... Even if I wouldn't have to wait: I don't want that junk.
Anyway, I'll welcome iTunes Radio as soon as it is available in my area. And with iTunes Match, no commercial messages (that's what I understood) ... so an improvement for me.

Chupa Chupa
Sep 18, 2013, 09:25 AM
"You'll get used to it" is a really bad excuse! Apple designs used to awe by its first impression.

Agreed. I think we are starting to see the real impact Jobs had when it came to tweaking product details to death to be as aesthetically perfect as possible right out of the box.

But the troubling thing is that none of us are of Jobs' caliber yet we all see the problems human factor and aesthetic flaws of iOS7. It's like Ive is the emperor in the Emperor's New Clothes and no one at Apple is brave enough to criticize him -- even Cook, or maybe Cook is too much of a bean counter to know the difference between good and bad design to comment. I don't know.

----------

Haven't seen it and seriously doubt it. iTunes is an integrated app so strategically it makes no sense to have a separate web site since iTunes isn't really on the web except as a way to link you back to the app. And I doubt it will fail because most people don't really care. I don't even buy songs from iTunes -- mostly Amazon -- and it doesn't bother me at all. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

iTunes radio will fail if its not at least as good as Pandora. But in my use so far it's not been off the mark playing decent tunes and non-obtrusive ads.

iMultitask
Sep 18, 2013, 09:50 AM
If you don't like it, head back over to iOS 6 AND I promise I'll end up seeing you back on the 7 side not shortly after.

I guess I've missed the info that for the first time Apple let's us downgrade our iOS devices?

locust76
Sep 18, 2013, 10:03 AM
I just came back in here to say that I've been listening to iTunes Radio all day and it surprised the hell out of me with a song from a Japanese band :P

I'm really digging iTunes Radio right now...

adampol15
Sep 18, 2013, 10:20 AM

Have you used Apple Maps on iOS 7?

I guess I've missed the info that for the first time Apple let's us downgrade our iOS devices?

Create a FREE Apple developer account and download 6.1 here (https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action). It's quite simple...

MacVault
Sep 18, 2013, 10:32 AM

Not yet. But here we are again... Where's the web interface to Apple Maps? I say complete failure if no web interface. When I'm at my desktop, Mac or PC, I'd much rather use my browser than my tiny iPhone screen - especially since Apple obviously doesn't believe in large iPhone displays. How do they not understand the phrase, "size matters"?

adampol15
Sep 18, 2013, 10:34 AM
Not yet. But here we are again... Where's the web interface to Apple Maps? I say complete failure if no web interface. When I'm at my desktop, Mac or PC, I'd much rather use my browser than my tiny iPhone screen - especially since Apple obviously doesn't believe in large iPhone displays. How do they not understand the phrase, "size matters"?

And clearly, you also haven't used the Maps application in OS X Mavericks as well...

MacVault
Sep 18, 2013, 10:38 AM
And clearly, you also haven't used the Maps application in OS X Mavericks as well...

So to use Maps I need Apple hardware? Ughhhh! :mad:

mdelvecchio
Sep 18, 2013, 11:15 AM
I've been using iOS7 for a week now. There are lots of great new features, but -- and I hate to sound cliche-ish -- Steve Jobs would not have approved the GM.

you do realize youre transforming jobs from an actual person into a mythical oracle of UI, right? jobs released lots of crappy stuff. the imac mouse? ping? ipod socks? etc...

nobody knows what he would or wouldnt do, because hes dead. anything is a guess. end of story.

WilliamLondon
Sep 18, 2013, 11:20 AM

If you're going to engage in irrelevant comparisons, why not the Newton?

Apple is renowned for their user interface design expertise, on a variety of platforms going back decades, and you choose to compare the latest update of their very, very successful mobile OS to an app that caused consternation with a few, very vocal (as typical), people at launch (which they immediately leapt into action to resolve)?? Really? Whatever.

Lord Hamsa
Sep 18, 2013, 11:26 AM

You also gave us Piers Morgan. You have much, much penance to pay off still.

Plutonius
Sep 18, 2013, 11:29 AM
Then no iTunes Radio for me.

Without even trying it out ?

----------

You also gave us Piers Morgan. You have much, much penance to pay off still.

But isn't that offset by Benny Hill :D?

Chupa Chupa
Sep 18, 2013, 11:35 AM
you do realize youre transforming jobs from an actual person into a mythical oracle of UI, right? jobs released lots of crappy stuff. the imac mouse? ping? ipod socks? etc...

nobody knows what he would or wouldnt do, because hes dead. anything is a guess. end of story.

Did I say or even hint Jobs was perfect or godly or Midas-like? You are the one transforming my simple statement into something much larger.

What I explicitly wrote was Jobs would not have approved the iOS7 GM based on font size, readability, basic human factors flaws because he excelled at picking out that kind of stuff according to those who new him -- not necessarily liked him -- well, and also was especially nitpicky in those areas. The latter is a well known fact. Today, it seems, based on iOS7, there is no one at Apple to question Ive on his design choices and could use an in-house critic that Jobs was to him. Please don't read anything into what I wrote other than the words on your screen in order to fit some narrative in your own mind.

And yes, it's a guess, but an educated one based on all the stories told about him with how he approached other GUIs and products. Change doesn't happen over night. A dead wolf would have eaten a chicken over a bowl of strawberries if it were still alive. Not too hard of a guess.

iMultitask
Sep 18, 2013, 11:55 AM

Create a FREE Apple developer account and download 6.1 here (https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action). It's quite simple...

Hah thats totally slipped my mind. Thanks!

FrankB1191
Sep 18, 2013, 04:56 PM
I'm not impressed. My wife and I bought our first Apple products earlier this year, and we bought a LOT of them. I was fine with iOS 6, and thought iOS 7 was going to be like Christmas (today's my birthday :D ). I agree with everything Chupa Chupa posted. The thin, lightly colored symbols are something that I might get used to, but there was nothing in iOS 6 that I had to get used to. My wife's iPad Mini had a really nice pic of wildflowers as wallpaper, but the new icons looked ridiculous on top of it. I changed it over to the wallpaper that Apple has been showing in their ads......:rolleyes:

I do like the single finger swipe for the control panel, but I miss iOS 6 otherwise.

scott523
Sep 18, 2013, 05:49 PM
iTunes Radio is surprisingly impressive given its official launch today.

I don't know if it's because I don't have iTunes Match, but I can't favorite or blacklist songs.

What I can easily compare with Pandora is that the song quality is superb over Pandora without a subscription.

Droymac
Sep 18, 2013, 10:17 PM
iTunes Radio is surprisingly impressive given its official launch today.

I'm liking it so far, too. Now I actually have a use for the Music app; No more hiding it with the other iOS apps that I don't use, and one less third-party app that I need on my device.

Serenity7
Sep 20, 2013, 09:26 AM
iOS 7 sucks ass I now know of several other people who own iphone 5's that it ****ed their phone up, including mine. A couple had to get completely new SIM cards from their wireless carrier. Others including myself can't even send iMessages anymore, wtf?! And you consider this an improvement, it's like these people think that were children making all the stupid app symbols unrealistic but now cartoon form so little kids know what **** is?! So not happy with this crap, this is a huge step backwards for adults and huge step forward for kids, I'm going back to Microsoft if Apple products are now meant for kids. **** when I saw all the new changes (and I'm very young), I thought what the hell, I've had iPods since the first generation, same with iPads and iPhones. You can't keep up with this ****, it's ridiculous.

grimmace
Sep 20, 2013, 11:36 AM
Glad to see some people posting frustrations with IOS7 when all the hype is kept on the front page of macrumors. The Today Show slammed IOS this morning on the many people frustrated with it as well as how EASY it was to just swipe into their phones and see everything. I did install IOS7 on my iP4 and it works alright. I dont get many of the new features making it all flashy but glad I have NOT purcahsed a new iphone yet! Waiting for them to get this right with iP6 and also make a larger version! Since I am one of those who rarely ever setup a password, all is still fine here. I'm sure they will issue a new release with bug fixes to address the issue which should also ****up the speed for iP4 users.

Bill Way
Sep 21, 2013, 04:39 PM
While on the phone with one of Apple's excellent support people today, he mentioned that one of their objectives was to, "Make it look like Android." That, for me, was an "Aha" moment - yes everything I don't like about it cosmetically is stuff that looks like Android. It almost as though the Bad Taste Fairy went through the phone covering everything in fairy-dung.

Cosmetics aren't a deal-killer for me, but the wretched performance is. It helps to turn off dozens of never-wanted-suddenly-turned-on notifications, and we will all become very familiar with the home-button double-click to turn off apps, as now every app stays running, every time, until you do this. I think that's how they defined "multi-tasking" - users now have multiple tasks to complete when running every app.

Dilbert's pointy-haired boss would be so happy.

WW

blackcrayon
Sep 21, 2013, 04:42 PM
Cosmetics aren't a deal-killer for me, but the wretched performance is. It helps to turn off dozens of never-wanted-suddenly-turned-on notifications, and we will all become very familiar with the home-button double-click to turn off apps, as now every app stays running, every time, until you do this. I think that's how they defined "multi-tasking" - users now have multiple tasks to complete when running every app.

WW

Was that all satire? It's hard to tell. Because the way apps are suspended in the background hasn't changed from iOS 6, aside from some updated background APIs that need specific implementation from the app developer.

Bill Way
Sep 21, 2013, 05:44 PM
Blackcrayon - I apparently barked up the wrong tree when I assumed it was the enhanced multitasking feature that was slowing things down. Thanks for the correction. Something in IOS7 is causing my iphone4 to respond badly, if inconsistently so. That something is a mystery to me.

WW