PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing 1 GB RAM for PowerBook G4 17-inch

p0intblank
Nov 27, 2005, 12:30 AM
I am finally upgrading from 512 MB to 1 GB of memory in my PowerBook G4 (check sig for complete specs). I searched NewEgg and came across a couple I am interested in, but would really prefer the RAM to be made by Samsung. Since I already havev 512 MB of Samsung RAM in my system, I would like to have them match each other. I like things perfect like that. ;) Anyway, I came across this memory:

http://www.18004memory.com/focus.asp?sku=502411&session=xdealram&guid=A037BF452D4A486C8274B8BE7BFA031A

I found it through dealram.com. There was good Crucial memory I found on New Egg, but I couldn't find any user reviews concerning the 17" PowerBook. And plus a couple 15" users were having issues, so I just want to be on the safe side. Then I came across Kingston memory, but I've never used their RAM before. I only feel comfortable with using memory from a company I have dealt with before... in this case, Samsung. So what do you say? Is this good RAM for my system? Also, how reliable is the Web site I linked to? I never purchased anything from them before.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Nevermind, it appears that New Egg does sell Samsung memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208015

Thoughts before I purchase?

Edit again: Nevermind, I purchased it already. I couldn't wait any longer. :p Mods you can close this if you want...

CanadaRAM
Nov 27, 2005, 01:28 AM
The NewEgg RAM is not Samsung genuine RAM, it's a Transcend module made from Samsung chips (called Samsung-on-third in the industry because it's Samsung chips on a third party circuit board.) Transcend is a fine company, they make good product. But you didn't get Samsung genuine, Mac-compatibility-guaranteed RAM.

You can get Samsung genuine through 18004memory as you found at $159, or from Data Memory Systems (http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp_Q_C_E_1169) for $149

Finally, you may want to wait more than 17 minutes for advice to arrive before making the decision... ;)

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com;)

bousozoku
Nov 27, 2005, 02:03 AM
It's an impressive price but it seemed to me that it was always the support chips that made the difference between good sticks and bad sticks, since it's all the same RAM anyway.

OtherWorld Computing (http://eshop.macsales.com) sells their own high quality sticks for less, as well as selling the complete Samsung stick.

$127.95 for their own stick isn't bad at all.

p0intblank
Nov 27, 2005, 02:18 PM
Yes I know I jumped for the purchase before waiting for replies, but oh well. It's PC2700 RAM... it should work just fine. And I see now; Transcend actually makes the RAM but uses Samsung chips? I'm guessing I have Transcend memory in my PowerBook right now then? It says Samsung on it. Either way, it should be fine. I just can't wait until it gets here. I've waited way too long for this upgrade...

CanadaRAM
Nov 27, 2005, 02:20 PM
Yes I know I jumped for the purchase before waiting for replies, but oh well. It's PC2700 RAM... it should work just fine. And I see now; Transcend actually makes the RAM but uses Samsung chips? I'm guessing I have Transcend memory in my PowerBook right now then? It says Samsung on it. Either way, it should be fine. I just can't wait until it gets here. I've waited way too long for this upgrade...
No the Samsung module in your Mac uses Samsung chips on a Samsung board, so it is Samsung genuine.

Here's hoping it works OK and the SPD settings are correct. NewEgg certainly doesn't guarantee that it will be MAc compatible.

p0intblank
Nov 27, 2005, 09:56 PM
Ah, I see. Well it should be fine. As soon as I get it, I'll be sure to run the AHT.

Edit: I just checked if my item was eligible for a refund return and it is. So if it doesn't work out, I can always send it back.

generik
Nov 28, 2005, 02:49 AM
AHT is not a through test, I had 2 Kingstons that passed it with flying colors, but my machine would lock up on them every 30 minutes or so.

Anyway in case you need to try another brand (for various reasons) I recommend the Transcend modules from Newegg. I got that tip from another MR member and those modules positively rock.

loktin
Nov 28, 2005, 04:00 AM
another thumbs up for the transcend memory. $65 for a gig of ram is insanely cheap and it works flawlessly. Its never crashed once and I run a shiet load of big programs at the same time.

On a side note I bought the kingston ram prior to the transcend, and those would cause all sorts of crazy problems like beachball, freezes, and kernel panics..

Idioteque
Nov 28, 2005, 03:15 PM
sorry, wrong place

p0intblank
Nov 29, 2005, 08:18 PM
Well my Transcend 1 GB PC2700 RAM arrived today. I installed it, ran the AHT and everything passed just fine. It took over a half hour to complete the test, but I'm not complaining. Anyway, everything seems fine so far. I went off to class before and left my PowerBook on while I was away. I came back and it's still running perfectly fine. So yes, I definitely recommend Transcend memory. It's my first time using their RAM and I'm quite pleased. :)

Thanks for all the help!

madtodaimax
Dec 1, 2005, 08:17 PM
im seeing the price for my 12" pb 1.5 at $120, where is it for $65