Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Gmail users, will you use the iOS 7 Mail app and suffer the 15 minute fetch wait time, or use the official Gmail app and enjoy push email?

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
when did they stop the push on exchange?

A while ago. They were grandfathering people in who were currently using it but only on the current phone they were using. I don't know if an OS change will cause that to go away. *

I do like the Gmail app because it filters things into catagories and I only get a notification if something pops into my main inbox.

*EDIT: Ah, I guess not! Good to know.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
The Gmail app is the best one. It just works, and is simple.

There is one issue with the Gmail app that drives me up the wall. Whenever I get a new email, the red notification badge on the app icon sometimes doesn't go away even after opening the app and opening the new email. I have to open the app, and let it sit and refresh before the app realizes the new email has been read and removes the red badge icon.

----------

I still get Gmail push through the iOS 7 mail app.

How???

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Actually Sparrow..... I have other e-mail accounts that dump into it . I rather check one app than 2 different apps for e-mail.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is one issue with the Gmail app that drives me up the wall. Whenever I get a new email, the red notification badge on the app icon sometimes doesn't go away even after opening the app and opening the new email. I have to open the app, and let it sit and refresh before the app realizes the new email has been read and removes the red badge icon.

----------

How???
If you have push for Gmail on your device before iOS 7 you'll still have it with iOS 7.

As for Gmail app, aside from zooming that's not available and a few things of that nature, there's no offline mode either, so every time you go to it it needs to reconnect and get the same data again, unlike the native Mail app.

Cowboy1629

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Indiana
When I get my new device I will have gmail forward to my @icloud account and use my gmail as the sent address so all should work as it does now with exchange. As others have said, if you don't change your device and you were grandfathered in, exchange will continue to work.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Gmail users, will you use the iOS 7 Mail app and suffer the 15 minute fetch wait time, or use the official Gmail app and enjoy push email?

Outlook.com(Hotmail) supports Push. I just set that up in iOS 7 mail and forwarded my gmail to it. Problem solved.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
This kinda strays from the original question but I migrated away from Google/Gmail entirely. I now use only iCloud and Outlook.com for mail. Getting email instantly in one mail app is very nice.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If you have push for Gmail on your device before iOS 7 you'll still have it with iOS 7.

It disappeared for me. No idea why.

I hate using a third party mail app because of the way notifications have to be formatted.

dylzen

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
I use the Gmail app and I love it. I don't feel the need to switch to another app, and I tested the stock one, Sparrow and Mailbox among the others.

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia

Default IOS7 app all the way. Create @outlook.com account and set it up under settings. Redirect all your gmail accounts to that @outlook.com account. It works like a charm. :D

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Default iOS 7 mail app all day! It's so much better than what we were used to in iOS 6 and below it's not even funny.

I've used Mailbox and Gmail but always found myself back on the iOS 7 mail app, it just works so much better than before.

silver25u

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I switched to the built in mail app because the fonts are way too small. They fix that and I'll switch back.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
Gmail all day. The Inbox sorting into different categories is so freaking useful and Gmail works so well with Chrome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.