PDA

View Full Version : Realmac Software Launches Universal 'Clear' To-Do App With iOS 7 Redesign

MacRumors
Sep 18, 2013, 12:05 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/18/realmac-software-launches-universal-clear-to-do-app-with-ios-7-redesign/)

Realmac Software (http://www.realmacsoftware.com) today launched a new version of its to-do app Clear, which features iPad support for the first time. The universal app has also been redesigned for iOS 7, adding some subtle UI tweaks along with a number of new features.

Clear for iOS 7 includes a flatter look to match the design of Apple's operating system, along with a lighter, thinner font. The app has been created to take advantage of the parallax feature in iOS 7 and it also includes several new themes for a customized look.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/clear2.jpg
iCloud support has been bundled into the new app, which means it is able to sync between multiple devices. Clear for iOS 7 also syncs with both Clear for Mac (http://appshopper.com/mac/productivity/clear) and the previous iOS 6 version of Clear (http://appshopper.com/productivity/clear).Say hello to Clear for iOS 7 - available for iPhone, iPod touch and (finally!) iPad in one Universal app. We hope you enjoy the refined UI that feels right at home on iOS 7, some new themes and iPad-only features:

-List Peek - Pull down with two fingers to preview a list in the sidebar.
-Easily move tasks between lists
-Even easier-to-find Settings - just swipe from the left edge of the screen!

Clear for iPhone also now shows you the list name when you're viewing a set of tasks.Clear for iOS 7 is a new app and not an update to the iOS 6 version of the app, which means both new and old users must re-purchase. Realmac is currently offering the new app for $2.99, discounted from its regular price of $4.99.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/clear1.jpg
Clear is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for $2.99. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clear-revolutionary-todo-app/id689989355?mt=8)]

Article Link: Realmac Software Launches Universal 'Clear' To-Do App With iOS 7 Redesign (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/18/realmac-software-launches-universal-clear-to-do-app-with-ios-7-redesign/)

this is funah
Sep 18, 2013, 12:06 PM
how much is this company paying you to cover this (cr)App?

irDigital0l
Sep 18, 2013, 12:17 PM
Yea, not paying again for what should have been a universal app in the first place.

Glad I paid $0.99, but there are way better to-do apps for free.

Pakaku
Sep 18, 2013, 12:18 PM
...I don't see any difference except thinner text?

ArtOfWarfare
Sep 18, 2013, 12:19 PM

You're correct that MR is far from unbiased, but I don't think it's a financial reason. It seems to me that if MR has ever covered anything for any reason, they'll continue covering the smallest things pertaining to it until the end of time. That's why they cover every single app from Rovio, for example.

macachia
Sep 18, 2013, 12:21 PM
talk about double dipping! I paid for Clear when it got released and I can barely see any difference with the 'new' ios7 app.

Very disappointed even if it's for a measly 2.99usd

ValSalva
Sep 18, 2013, 12:21 PM
Yea, not paying again for what should have been a universal app in the first place.

Glad I paid $0.99, but there are way better to-do apps for free.

This is the same company that charges $50 for Ember. Not surprised.

Anthropogenesis
Sep 18, 2013, 12:23 PM
Ooh, they changed to a lighter font! Better whip out the credit card.

Clear is about as basic of a to-do app as there is, hiding beneath an interesting UI.

Oui
Sep 18, 2013, 12:33 PM
i will clear(ly) pass on this re-purchase wasn't impressed with the first one.

FWRN
Sep 18, 2013, 12:33 PM
Ridiculous. Bad move on Realmac's part. I'm not buying the same app again.

Spacial
Sep 18, 2013, 12:35 PM
I wonder how many other developers will get free coverage like this...

OllyW
Sep 18, 2013, 12:35 PM

Absolutely nothing.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:MacRumors_FAQ#Are_news_stories_really_advertising_in_disguise.3F

jomo25
Sep 18, 2013, 12:36 PM
Sad that they are charging again for it. If anything, they should allow previous owners to upgrade for a small price like $0.99. Offer a rebate if the App Store doesn't allow that. Or make it in app purchase from the old one to the new one.

Personally,I stopped using Clear a while back. Once reminders and notes got synced, clear became less valuable. And that there was no undo function in the Mac app (which I had also purchased) I lost one critical list because it synced the bad list overwriting the good one with no way to undo that.

I think this pay for stuff again for ios7 versions is going to be a black eye. I can understand charging, but they need to find a way to deeply discount it for previous buyers.

pickaxe
Sep 18, 2013, 12:40 PM
They enabled the status bar and added a list title under it and they have the audacity to call this an iOS 7 design and charge users again for the update.

Realmac is EVERYTHING that is bad with OS X/iOS developers.

furi0usbee
Sep 18, 2013, 12:49 PM
Just paid for a Reeder update... I use that everyday. NOT paying again for this... if these devs think I'm re-buying all my apps to "work" with iOS 7, they have another thing coming...

Bryan

JoeyCloverfield
Sep 18, 2013, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't mind paying if they had called it Clear HD (with included universal support) and they had kept the original as an iPhone only. However, according to their blog they're actually discontinuing the original meaning it'll never be updated again. It makes it seem as if they weren't willing to put in the time to make an app that's compatible with both iOS 6 and 7.

petsounds
Sep 18, 2013, 12:57 PM
That thin font is going to cause readability problems with some of the lower-contrast colors they're using. Form over function, which is not a great formula for a task app.

\-V-/
Sep 18, 2013, 01:05 PM
These greedy douche bags want to charge us again for a minuscule (and in my opinion worse) UI update? They can screw themselves. I'm done with this company.

FelixAng
Sep 18, 2013, 01:15 PM
I use Clear quite regularly and have really liked it. Yes, it sucks that the iOS 7 version will cost $2.99, but it's universal now, and there's a new iPad version.

App Developers can't be expected to update and innovate forever. There aren't ads on Clear, so, how else do they cover costs for Clear's production? Just as a new edition of a book costs more, it's no surprise we have to buy again.

People forget that lots of the apps they buy won't last forever.

SirithX
Sep 18, 2013, 01:19 PM
Wow, I can't believe they are barely changing it and forcing users to buy it again. I can understand some apps, like 1Password, going universal and recharging for it, but this is essentially a scam.

Also, I love MacRumors, but I wonder how much App makers pay to get blogs like Engadget, theVerge, MacRumors, etc. to cover their apps and do write-ups such as this one. Unless I'm mistaken and blog authors just like to write about random weather apps once in a while out of the kindness of their hearts.

furi0usbee
Sep 18, 2013, 02:00 PM
I'm done with Clear as of today. Get real(mac)!

springsup
Sep 18, 2013, 02:16 PM
Wow.

I would normally refrain from posting about other Apps (bad form, you know?)

As an iPhone user though; this is a total joke. Realmac are treating their customers with no respect if they think they should pay another $2.99 ($4.99 normally) for some thinner text and a pretty lazy iPad layout.

Last time I buy anything from them. They treat their users like total suckers.

BJMRamage
Sep 18, 2013, 02:26 PM
no thanks.

hate when companies try and charge again.

notabadname
Sep 18, 2013, 02:34 PM
Totally unsat. Will review the current accordingly.

Jessica Lares
Sep 18, 2013, 02:43 PM
I got the Clear app free from Starbucks in May so I'm not too upset, other than the fact that I was saving up apps to use when I got my 5S.

Does it still work though? Like does t even open in iOS 7?

Anyway, what bothers me about Realmac is the fact that back in December, they announced that Hatch for iPhone app. It was supposed to be ready in the Spring, and now it's almost October.

Their response? Everytime someone posts asking or complaining about it, they have their mascot Hatchpet saying it'll be soon and they're having issues.

All the coverage that app got, and it's even looking like it won't even launch until Winter now.

Personally, I don't think it's ever going to launch. Or when it does, it's going to be so overlooked and get so pricey (like it hasn't become now) and just pull the plug.

But then you are talking about a company that does charge you for every upgrade of their web authoring tool. :rolleyes:

Spacial
Sep 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
Clear is getting some nice free advertising here.

AgentElliot007
Sep 18, 2013, 04:01 PM
Totally unsat. Will review the current accordingly.

That won't do any good, it was pulled from the App Store.

I can't wrap my head around this one, especially considering they seemed to suggest Universal support was coming to the app we already had. This company seems to know how to irritate their customers. What they fail to account for with these pricing schemes is that a lot of people who used to really like this app and recommend it are less and less inclined to each time they pull a pricing stunt that is most certainly out of the norm relative to their competition and the ecosystem.

MBHockey
Sep 18, 2013, 04:06 PM
Looks like the developer spent a lot of time this morning updating his app for iOS 7.

reden
Sep 18, 2013, 11:14 PM
This company is so greedy. I paid them for my Desktop app, and iPhone app, and they still want even more money for software that hasn't really changed much other than slimmer typography. Amazing really. They won't even make this a cross-platform app, or even accessible via the web which should be features people would be happy to pay for.

nomad01
Sep 19, 2013, 02:16 AM
App Developers can't be expected to update and innovate forever. There aren't ads on Clear, so, how else do they cover costs for Clear's production? Just as a new edition of a book costs more, it's no surprise we have to buy again.

People forget that lots of the apps they buy won't last forever.

App developers CAN be expected to keep their apps updated to attract new customers... rather than expect their current customers to repurchase for more income! Jeez. I like the app but it's a crummy updated to be expected to pay more for ongoing support.

Interested in hearing recommendations for alternatives so I can ditch this POS!

djgamble
Sep 19, 2013, 07:57 AM

Lol yeah MacRumors always pushes it big time!!!

iOS 6...
iOS 7...

Nothing has changed and the app's still fundamentally s*ithouse. Time to think of a new app maybe? *wink wink*

Mwongozi
Sep 19, 2013, 08:46 AM
Forced paid upgrades aside (they suck), I really dislike this new trend of "undiscoverable" app designs. A UI that is not immediately obvious how to use just by looking at it is a bad UI. iOS itself is guilty of this, especially in iOS 7, but "Clear" is one of the worst offenders I have ever seen. There is a reason why it starts up with a tutorial.

I don't want to have to learn how to use an app. With most other apps, it's immediately obvious.

Clear is a triumph of style (and money) over functionality and design.

CylonGlitch
Sep 19, 2013, 09:22 AM
Deleting Clear, will never use it again, and will never buy anything from that developer again. Sorry, it wasn't that long ago that I purchased it; now I need to purchase it again, no, no thank you. I could see if there was a major update, but there isn't.

SockRolid
Sep 19, 2013, 12:31 PM
I can't imagine a more boring app category than "to-do lists."

Reminders works great, has always been universal, and has had iCloud
integration for years now.

----------

Deleting Clear, will never use it again, and will never buy anything from that developer again. Sorry, it wasn't that long ago that I purchased it; now I need to purchase it again, no, no thank you. I could see if there was a major update, but there isn't.

The phrase "style over substance" comes to mind every time anyone mentions Clear.

Swift
Sep 21, 2013, 11:01 PM
I need lists at the grocery or I overspend by buying on impulse. And a 2x iPhone app sucks. This app looks much better, and the extra depth of up to three windows is good. By and large, I think iOS 7 has much better sensitivity and animations and game physics, and that meant I dictated what I needed to get into Clear this morning, made my grocery lists.

PBF
Sep 21, 2013, 11:31 PM
OMG, I absolutely love the new iOS 7 redesign!