Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhonehomebutton.png
Apple will use sapphire home buttons on the new iPad and iPad mini, expected to launch next month, according to a report from DigiTimes.
Apple first adopted sapphire to make covers of iPhone 5 cameras and now the material is also used in making covers of iPhone 5S finger print-recognizing home keys, the sources noted. Apple in March 2013 filed with the US Patent and Trademark Office an application concerning high-temperature lamination of sapphire layers, the sources noted.
The report goes on to note that Apple may be looking to adopt sapphire for the front screen of the next iPhone to be launched in 2014.

The most likely reason for a sapphire home button would be to add the Touch ID fingerprint sensor to the iPad, while a sapphire screen for the iPhone, while likely being an extremely expensive part, would make the screen virtually immune to scratching.

A previous report suggested that Apple and other smartphone manufacturers looked at using sapphire for smartphone screens but found the material was unsuitable for high-volume production.

A redesigned iPad and Retina iPad mini are expected to launch next month.

Article Link: Sapphire Home Buttons Coming to New iPads?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
DigiTimes = the opposite of information. It's like a random 8-ball that takes pride in the few times it's right. And they like to claim info on things that are the same educated guesswork any of us could make from our armchair.

Make the screen out of whatever you think is best... home button too... but I sure hope the iPad (at least the full iPad 5) gets the fingerprint sensor now!

In the end, all iOS devices will have it, of course. And the mini will have retina eventually. (I'd be amazed if it's this year: the GPU and battery challenges are not small.)

g88bo

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
now add that fingerprint sensor to the rmbp aswell and release it already! :)

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
if it doesn't then Apple has a serious issue with understanding what the customer wants. The way i see it, from now on every new device should have it. Even next year at WWDC the 6C should have it.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Seems like a no brainer for Apple to have a top of the line iPhone (5s) and iPad(9.7") both with the fingerprint sensor right now for corporate clients(as well as obviously for the consumer market). Let the iPad Mini and iPhone 5c be the less expensive/not as secure/not as profitable/not as powerful devices.

Can't wait for a new Mini! My iPad 2 days are done!(nothing wrong with it, just feels like holding a brick now after using the g/f's Mini constantly).

----------

A little change just for the sake of it.

A little? What the f...
Dude the future is here man! If people can't see the huge potential for this in the next 1-2 years you are so blind. :confused:

I could see this being huge for parents who want to control the amount of time their kids use on the iPad. I know of a coworker who's kid is addicted to Minecraft and he's only like 7 or 8. Not literally addicted but plays it probably too much.

Businesses that use an iPad instead of a big clunky cash register can now not be worried about having a $500+ device sitting on the counter. Want it? Go for it and steal it, you won't be able to use it.

Minor convenience of not having to click home screen and then swipe. Now just put finger on home button. I bet after using the fingerprint sensor to unlock going back to the old way will feel so wrong and slow(yes, probably only a 1/4-1/2 second slower but still add that up over couple years).

Last edited:

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
YES! I seriously doubted it to the point I wasn't going to be surprised or let down if the TID was missing on the iPad 5. While I know this is still a rumor it gives hope!

piecloud

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2011
Multi user support

This might finally bring multi-user support. Touch Id + no multi user = Fail ! for families that share an iPad.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
there is multi-user support.

No there isn't. Sure you can have multiple accounts for e-mail/notes/reminders/calender etc. but it's not even close to true multi-user support.

----------

Reminds me of the Lightning connector. Eventually all iOS devices will have the fingerprint sensor.

And all devices will have Retina ;) Hopefully Retina Mini in a month and eventually even the iMac's and Thunderbolt displays will. Hell, even later TV's will be too. Hmmm makes me wonder if 4k is "Retina."

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
No there isn't. Sure you can have multiple accounts for e-mail/notes/reminders/calender etc. but it's not even close to true multi-user support.

----------

And all devices will have Retina ;) Hopefully Retina Mini in a month and eventually even the iMac's and Thunderbolt displays will. Hell, even later TV's will be too. Hmmm makes me wonder if 4k is "Retina."

4K is well above "Retina". In fact, even HD is retina; if you can see the individual pixels on your TV screen you're almost certainly sitting too close (or you have a really massive, low-resolution TV).

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I would like to get the iPad mini 2, but I want 128GB which I think is unlikely for the mini 2. Now, if I could get a 64-bit A7, Touch ID and of of course, 128GB capacity, I would be all over the mini 2. That would be a pleasant surprise, but right now, it looks more likely that I'll be getting a iPad 5. Unless, I convince myself that an A6, no Touch ID and 64GB is okay as long as it has a retina display???

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I really hope Touch ID is on the iPad - as that means Apple will actually be pushing the software forward this year. If they leave it off till next year then I doubt we will get a 3rd party API till then.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Reminds me of the Lightning connector. Eventually all iOS devices will have the fingerprint sensor.

And we'll all wonder how we ever got along without it. (I cringe every time I have to charge my iPad 3 -- the last dock connector device I own. Counting down the days to when I can buy an iPad 5 and be all Lightning all the time. If it has a fingerprint sensor then double bonus).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.