Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
Is this possible? I have an iBook with an External DVD Burner. I purposely didn't get the SuperDrive because I already had an external one. But when I open up iDVD, it says I can't burn DVD's because I don't have a SuperDrive.
So how would I go about making a video in iMovie HD then importing it into iDVD to burn onto a DVD from an external DVD burner?

This is my first time doing this and I need it for a school project due Tuesday.
Please help!

Thanks

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
I Love You.
That worked and you saved my history project, THANK YOU, very much. I love iMovie HD and iDVD and everything now. It worked so...flawlessly. Wow. :)

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
The other solution, of course, is to have iDVD create a disk image file instead of having it actually burn the disk. I prefer this because I can then check out the file with DVD Player to see if it is OK -- then burn the final disk with Toast.

iMatt mini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Central New Jersey
Not sure I understand what you mean, but whatever he said worked and was really easy. :cool: I think the video came out good for my first attempt at iMovie HD.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
If you are referring to my comment, I'll explain.

Open up iDVD. Look under "File". Under "Burn DVD" is another option "Save as Disc Image". What this does is create a file that is a virtual copy of your DVD (without actually burning the disc). When this disc image is mounted (you can use Toast or Disk Utility) it creates a file on your desktop that looks and acts exactly like you have inserted a DVD into your computer. You can then launch your DVD Player and watch the "DVD' and check for errors and quality.

Then, you can "burn" this to DVD. When you burn a disc image you treat it as if you were copying the file. In fact, you are simply copying a virtual DVD.

It may sound somewhat complicated, but it really isn't -- you should try it once to see for yourself.

As I said before, the advantage of creating a disc image instead of simply burning the dvd is that you can check it out first. The other advantage is that this disc image can be copied over and over to create multiple copies without having iDVD do this (saves an enormous amount of time).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.