PDA

View Full Version : Powermac g5 supports issue

macg4
Nov 27, 2005, 12:40 PM
Alright maybe someone else has had this happen before. i recently bought a g5 1.8 tower off ebay. good working order and good physical condtion order. except for one thing, the rear support(leg) on the back has come disconnected from the rest of the case. does anyone know any fixes for this?

FFTT
Nov 27, 2005, 12:47 PM
I would return it for shipping damage unless the seller fully disclosed
the damage before the sale.

A good machine shop might be able to help you, but you may need to gut
the chassis before they can weld the foot back into position.

I'd return it if you can.

Sun Baked
Nov 27, 2005, 12:59 PM
Not pretty, may ooze a bit -- but something like one of the higher strength JB Weld products may work.

A rivet to finish the job and add the final bit of strength.

macg4
Nov 27, 2005, 01:25 PM
I would return it for shipping damage unless the seller fully disclosed
the damage before the sale.

A good machine shop might be able to help you, but you may need to gut
the chassis before they can weld the foot back into position.

I'd return it if you can.
well it was noted as such when i bought it.
i just woundered if i should just live with it or even try to fix

macg4
Nov 27, 2005, 01:25 PM
Not pretty, may ooze a bit -- but something like one of the higher strength JB Weld products may work.

A rivet to finish the job and add the final bit of strength.
sounds like a good idea. :)

CanadaRAM
Nov 27, 2005, 01:44 PM
This is why it is critical when buying long distance to specify that the seller has the original box and styrofoam. (I know in your case the handle was already broken, prolly happend when the seller bought it from whoever they bought it from).

Home made packaging just doesn't support the machine adequately, and it takes all its weight on the one point of the handle. A freight company in that case will disallow any damage claim on the grounds of inadequate packaging.

macg4
Nov 27, 2005, 01:51 PM
i figured it wasnt a huge issue.ive been trying to contact the seller and ask how bad it it is really. if its the whole side or just the corner. i havent even paid for it yet. its ebay auction #5833377093 if anyone wants to take a look at it

macg4
Nov 27, 2005, 03:43 PM
how hard would it be to transplant all powermac g5 internal parts,etc... to a different case? anyone done it yet with the g5 yet? i have done it with the g3 beige and b/w and pc's