Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Need stay in hospital for X-Ray scan and meet the doctor, in Canadian hospital, 4 hours of waiting time isn't so uncomm.

So iOS 7 released by today and made my iPhone 4S battery like ****...

15% battery just 2 and half hours of 3G usages and system lags here and there. Freshly installed without restore

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 185

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Doesn't seem unusual. First you are updating to a new OS and more things are going on with the phone in the beginning using more battery. Second, you are in a clinic/hospital, which are often in buildings and machinery that interfere or otherwise affect the signal you are getting, adding that much more to battery usage when the phone is trying to keep/use a signal that isn't great. None of this is really new or surprising.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
to be fair I think I killed the battery on my 4S because of playing around with iOS7 and letting it do all the app updates and figure out my photo library into sections and rescan album art for the new "coverflow". I think iOS 7 battery life will be fine once it's all settled down back to normal!

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Doesn't seem unusual. First you are updating to a new OS and more things are going on with the phone in the beginning using more battery. Second, you are in a clinic/hospital, which are often in buildings and machinery that interfere or otherwise affect the signal you are getting, adding that much more to battery usage when the phone is trying to keep/use a signal that isn't great. None of this is really new or surprising.

Not really.

First, the installed iOS 7 before I went to hospital. Went to hospital around 2 downloaded the GM ipsw yesterday. Clean installed in the morning. So the background activity should be done by then.

Second: the signal is around 4 dots or 3 dots.. Signal isn't so bad either.

Here is my friend's iPhone 5... 70% after 1 hour if usage at home. And it is clean install as well

However, the not so optimized iPad gets good battery life on 3G connection

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 121

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not really.

First, the installed iOS 7 before I went to hospital. Went to hospital around 2 downloaded the GM ipsw yesterday. Clean installed in the morning. So the background activity should be done by then.

Here is my friend's iPhone 5... 70% after 1 hour if usage at home. And it is clean install as well

Aside from different device there's the different location. Can't really compare the two because of that. Now, if you do the same things (without extra background items or something like that) in the same location and there's a noticeable difference in battery life, then you might be onto something.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Not really.

I can't read that at all, so I can't trust what exactly it's saying.

What I can trust however, is my battery stats. Maybe you have an issue with your iPhone, but I've been running the GM since day one, and on average i'm getting around nearly 1 1/2 days - 2 days on standby and 6-8 hours of usage. This has been the ballpark for the betas and when I had iOS 6 on it. I don't know if that's considered good or bad battery life but it works well for me.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe you and your friend are just unlucky.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
First day, if not days, let alone first hours battery experiences after upgrade should really be avoided. Keep an eye on the battery over the next week or so (assuming you are doing the usual things over that time) and then you'll have a realistic idea if it really changed one way or another from before.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
I can't read that at all, so I can't trust what exactly it's saying.

What I can trust however, is my battery stats. Maybe you have an issue with your iPhone, but I've been running the GM since day one, and on average i'm getting around nearly 1 1/2 days - 2 days on standby and 6-8 hours of usage. This has been the ballpark for the betas and when I had iOS 6 on it. I don't know if that's considered good or bad battery life but it works well for me.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe you and your friend are just unlucky.

Maybe this is better for you to read?

image_zps4452cd8a.jpg

6:13 16% of battery left

at 6:25 7% of batter left

image_zps2f6c6c44.jpg

so in 12 minutes, iPhone uses 9% of battery. Isn't this very terrible? I firmly believe all those background activities (including spotlight indexing, app updates etc. are done).

And here is my friend's iPhone 5 battery stats:

image_zpsdb8985fd.jpg

I want to believe you, but unless you are using iPhone just for phone calls, I have never get over 1 day battery life for normal usage.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Maybe this is better for you to read?

6:13 16% of battery left

at 6:25 7% of batter left

so in 12 minutes, iPhone uses 9% of battery. Isn't this very terrible? I firmly believe all those background activities (including spotlight indexing, app updates etc. are done).

And here is my friend's iPhone 5 battery stats:

I want to believe you, but unless you are using iPhone just for phone calls, I have never get over 1 day battery life for normal usage.

No no I believe your screenshots, but considering I cannot read the language of the iPhone 5 screenshot, I cannot trust it.

For the most part, I use my phone moderately. My most used apps are: Safari, Music, Messages, Spotify, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, and YouTube. I do a lot of texting and mobile blogging. I watch videos on occasion over LTE and I check facebook and twitter often. I text everyday too.

My usage is pretty moderate, considering I am a high-school teenager. Overall, my battery proves to last enough for me.

Like C DM said above, I recommend evaluating your battery usage after a week, rather than just a few hours.

Also, since I'm assuming you updated while running on your battery, remember updating with your battery can seriously drain it, and your device was probably catching up.

Before you go instantly judging your battery, charge it up to 100%, turn the device completely off by sliding to power off, then turn it back on and start observing from there.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Need stay in hospital for X-Ray scan and meet the doctor, in Canadian hospital, 4 hours of waiting time isn't so uncomm.

So iOS 7 released by today and made my iPhone 4S battery like ****...

15% battery just 2 and half hours of 3G usages and system lags here and there. Freshly installed without restore

youre also at a low signal area

phooi

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
I am having a similar experience with my 4s. The battery is draining quickly and the unit itself feels warmer than usual. I have turned off and rebooted the phone but it is still exhibiting the battery draining behavior. I have also turned off some of the geolocation features -- frequent location, wifi networking and have not seen any improvements.

I wil recharge the battery and measure the battery consumption to confirm my suspicions. Otherwise I do like the new OS and some of its features.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
to be fair I think I killed the battery on my 4S because of playing around with iOS7 and letting it do all the app updates and figure out my photo library into sections and rescan album art for the new "coverflow". I think iOS 7 battery life will be fine once it's all settled down back to normal!

I'm hoping mine is draining fast since I'm jerking around with it so much.

No different than day 1 of any upgrade really :D

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
OP your friend does not have Bluetooth enabled. It's been discussed in many threads that battery life is applicable to you only. Your location, your apps, your settings (mail and apps), your seen signal strength, your usage, etc. I can end the day above 80% or I can run out at 5 PM depending on what I did with the phone and where.

I hope your health is OK. :)

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
Here your post about bad battery life

Below You posted how great battery life is of GM (which is the same as the version you are on now)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1634793/

Here you posted about how you switched to Nexus 4

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1633943/

and in the screenshot here you are showing a 3G activated iphone.

What's with you? Are you undecided, confused or just posting to get reactions?

1. The one I post with great battery life is iPad not iPhone.

2. I switched to Nexus 4 long times ago, but does that mean I will never touch my iPhone? I don't get your logic. It is like I immigrate to Canada so I will never go back visit my home country. I use iPhone from time to time, from one day to one week, but my main phone is Nexus 4 now.

3. I went to exactly same hospital with iOS 6 a month ago with iOS 6. The battery life is significantly better than iOS 7.

I never understand your or any Apple fan's mentality, this thread never meant to be negative toward Apple.

----------

OP your friend does not have Bluetooth enabled. It's been discussed in many threads that battery life is applicable to you only. Your location, your apps, your settings (mail and apps), your seen signal strength, your usage, etc. I can end the day above 80% or I can run out at 5 PM depending on what I did with the phone and where.

I hope your health is OK. :)

LOL... Yeah.. 3G kills battery life... But i am bit surprised with 3 hours of battery life. Same phone with iOS 6 gives me 2 hours of more with pure 3G connection. But anyway....

My health is OK, it just I need to a x-ray for my fractured bone and meet doctor.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Today my battery has dropped like a hot potato.

I'm on 25% and my usage hasn't been extraordinary today. If anything I'd say I've used my phone less. I'm usually on about 55-60% by this time of the day.

Trying to figure out what has changed since I installed the GM about a week ago... the only thing I can think of is that I updated a load of apps yesterday. Maybe one of them has bugs.

I've turned off reduce motion to see if that helps at all, but I know that's definitely not what has caused this drain today as my screen has been off most of the day.

It dropped 10% between 12:04pm and 1:20pm, with the screen off most of that time. :(

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Today my battery has dropped like a hot potato.

I'm on 25% and my usage hasn't been extraordinary today. If anything I'd say I've used my phone less. I'm usually on about 55-60% by this time of the day.

Trying to figure out what has changed since I installed the GM about a week ago... the only thing I can think of is that I updated a load of apps yesterday. Maybe one of them has bugs.

I've turned off reduce motion to see if that helps at all, but I know that's definitely not what has caused this drain today as my screen has been off most of the day.

It dropped 10% between 12:04pm and 1:20pm, with the screen off most of that time. :(

Try not using the Dynamic wallpaper. Turn airdrop, bluetooth, and selection location services off.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
mine used to do that before iOS7. only below 10%, not that high. hopefully a clean install of iOS7 will fix it? I'll try to kill it later today.

Do you do a clean install and then restore from backup, or just set up as new?

I'd rather not set up as new if I can help it, but will try that if it seems to be the only option.

Yesterday my phone let me run it all the way down to 0%, so not sure what's causing this... might be a temporary glitch.

Try not using the Dynamic wallpaper. Turn airdrop, bluetooth, and selection location services off.

I've turned off reduce motion and use a static wallpaper, I turn off bluetooth when I'm not in my car, but I keep location services turned on for everything.

I haven't actually investigated and played with the settings much yet. I usually leave everything turned on, but it seems I can't do that in iOS 7. I suspect background app refreshing might be the culprit.

Cheers

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I had mine at 99% last nite and unplugged it before bed. Woke up this morning at 7am and it was at 91% with few emails that came through.

Went to work and down it went to 80% before 9am.
now its at 60% at noon.

I did however reset network settings when i did the upgrade. It helped a bit. I turned off parallax,bluetooth and auto updates.

I noticed in texting, the battery drained alot in that app. I am the guinea pig at work so told everyone to hold off lol..

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Do you do a clean install and then restore from backup, or just set up as new?

I'd rather not set up as new if I can help it, but will try that if it seems to be the only option.

Yesterday my phone let me run it all the way down to 0%, so not sure what's causing this... might be a temporary glitch.

setup as new, always actually. my Bluetooth was giving me fits and not pairing with my headphones about 2 weeks ago. I did a clean install and still would die at a strange battery %. hopefully iOS7 helps.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
I had mine at 99% last nite and unplugged it before bed. Woke up this morning at 7am and it was at 91% with few emails that came through.

Went to work and down it went to 80% before 9am.
now its at 60% at noon.

I did however reset network settings when i did the upgrade. It helped a bit. I turned off parallax,bluetooth and auto updates.

I noticed in texting, the battery drained alot in that app. I am the guinea pig at work so told everyone to hold off lol..

Spread the word, man. There are issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.