PDA

View Full Version : iBook Shuts Off

chopsuey158
Nov 27, 2005, 01:58 PM
I know that there is a problem with older ibooks shutting off because of a bad logic board. I have a problem with my ibook (see sig for details) shutting off but I'm not sure if it is because of the logic board or a bad battery. The ibook shuts off unexpectedly when I pick it up, but only when it isn't plugged in. Occasionally, the battery indicator in the menu bar shows that no battery is in, although there is one in. This leads me to believe that the battery (3rd party) isn't a perfect fit and the contacts disconnect sometimes. Can anyone let me know if this could possibly be the logic board? I don't want to buy a replacement battery to solve this probelm if it is the logic board...

I guess what I'm asking is:

Would the ibook shut off ONLY when it is not plugged in if the logic board is bad?

TodVader
Nov 27, 2005, 04:02 PM
The connections between the computer and the battery are probably loose. Does it do this since you bought the 3rd party battery ?

Does the battery seem loose?

Its certainly a battery problem if it never happens plugged in.

wnameth
Nov 27, 2005, 04:35 PM
definitely the battery, but a apple one, they are way better and are guaranteed and are more reliable, isn't that logic board.

chopsuey158
Nov 27, 2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks, now I am glad since I know it is a fixable problem (the logic board would have been expensive). I'll get an apple battery for Christmas I'm thinking... The 3rd party battery doesn't fit perfectly, it sticks out some which definitely doesn't look good and is probably the reason why is shuts off when I pick it up or move it around, the movement is nudging the battery loose. Thanks again for your help!

chopsuey158
Dec 25, 2005, 06:33 PM
Alright, so I got a new iBook battery today for Christmas. The only problem is that when I pick up the iBook when it is running from the battery, it still shuts off. I thought that it was the 3rd party battery, but apparently not.

Anyone know how to clean the contacts? Too small for even a Q-Tip.

Anyone have any other ideas?

The ibook shuts off unexpectedly when it is picked up ONLY on battery power...