Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrleee3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
As above, cannot see anything even though I know updates are available. Anyone else having this/know how to fix?

mrleee3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Now the screenshot and reviews tabs are not loading in the App Store. Must be working overtime I guess...

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
The App Store seems to be experiencing issues right now - it's down for me too.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
With 600 million devices all updating their OS, iTunes and apps at the same time you can expect some congestion in the tubes. There are a lot of bits being pushed around at the moment.

App Store app updates have been turned off for the time being. You can get around this by searching for and updating the apps you know have been updated (like Facebook) manually.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
With 600 million devices all updating their OS, iTunes and apps at the same time you can expect some congestion in the tubes. There are a lot of bits being pushed around at the moment.

App Store app updates have been turned off for the time being. You can get around this by searching for and updating the apps you know have been updated (like Facebook) manually.

You're correct, but Apple should have planned this better.

They should have released iTunes 11.1 last week, or at the latest Monday, iOS 7 public release today and App updates other than critical bug fixes held off until Friday / Next Week.

They obviously thought their servers could cope. They were wrong - but why take the risk anyway?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
You're correct, but Apple should have planned this better.

They should have released iTunes 11.1 last week, or at the latest Monday, iOS 7 public release today and App updates other than critical bug fixes held off until Friday / Next Week.

They obviously thought their servers could cope. They were wrong - but why take the risk anyway?
You don't know that iTunes 11.1 was ready last week. In fact, the version from last week was build 100, vs the 126 released today and every build before 100 had crippling bugs (no iOS7 application sorting, no ability to shuffle).

To people who have been part of this process it's painfully obvious what a rush to the deadline this has been. Just look at iOS7 for iPads: It's just not ready.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
You don't know that iTunes 11.1 was ready last week . . .

You're right, I don't, but it should've been, that's my point.

They should've set that deadline and if they were struggling moved resources around to make it happen.

Forcing the wider (non Beta testing) public to download 11.1, iOS 7 and App updates all on the same day is totally ridiculous.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
You're right, I don't, but it should've been, that's my point.

They should've set that deadline and if they were struggling moved resources around to make it happen.

Forcing the wider (non Beta testing) public to download 11.1, iOS 7 and App updates all on the same day is totally ridiculous.

We all know how this story went: iOS7 was a massive rewrite that was done mid-cycle. There was also a hard deadline set by the new phone releases. Apple does not have unlimited resources (despite having practically unlimited money). To expect everything to be ready and perfect knowing the constraints they are under is unrealistic. Planning or no, with the scale of this undertaking I'm surprised that this launch is going as relatively smoothly as it is.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
. . . There was also a hard deadline set by the new phone releases. Apple does not have unlimited resources (despite having practically unlimited money). To expect everything to be ready and perfect knowing the constraints they are under is unrealistic . . .

I disagree, but hey it's a forum right? :)

With the hard deadline of phone release dates, that makes planning easier rather than more difficult.

They knew the timescales and either blew it, or were arrogant enough to believe their servers could cope, or genuinely don't give a toss whether a number of their customers suffer frustration.

Out of these scenarios, I'm betting on arrogance and don't believe they followed the more sensible plan of a staggered release of iTunes, followed by iOS and finally Cosmetic App Upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.