PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 pushing anyone to Android?

Retired Cat
Sep 18, 2013, 09:16 PM
I can't help but be annoyed. I bought an iPhone 5 because I liked the device, iOS 6, and Apple's policy of continuing to issue software updates/security patches.

I did not expect iOS 7 would look the way it does, or have usability issues with the font and brite-white interface. Apps app updates today are starting to adopt the iOS 7 styling.

At some point I will be forced to get iOS 7 in order to receive patches, but if I can't get used to the look, what's a good alternative handset that won't be abandoned as far as updates? I know that the Nexus gets updates regularly. Anything else?

aristobrat
Sep 18, 2013, 09:27 PM
The Google Play Edition of the Galaxy and HTC One, also. But AFAIK they're never subsidized.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/collection/web_home_5000005_partnerUS?hl=en

I've been running the iOS 7 betas since they came out. Took me at least a week to tolerate it, but now I really like it. I'd give it a chance.

onthecouchagain
Sep 18, 2013, 09:27 PM
Keep your eye on the upcoming Nexus 5. That's probably your best bet.

If you are ambitious enough to learn to flash, virtually any phone will be good then when it comes to updates.

Otherwise, there are the Google Play Edition phones of the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One. Between those two, I'd choose the One, unless camera is extremely important. If camera is important, I'd go no where near the One.

But again, your best bet is waiting about a month for the Nexus 5.

Regardless, there's a wonderful world to be discovered with Android.

ChazUK
Sep 18, 2013, 09:30 PM
Nexus or Google Play edition (Galaxy S4, HTC One) phones are the ones to go for if updates are imprtaint.

Nexus device are updated faster than the GPe versions but I've been happy with updates to my HTC One. 4.3 took just 9 days to come to the thing.

Waiting to see what happens with my HTC One and KitKat when it launches. Hopefully it'll be a swift release for my One.

thejadedmonkey
Sep 18, 2013, 09:35 PM
Don't forget Windows Phone!

oplix
Sep 19, 2013, 02:49 AM
absolutely. I've realized with this release of ios 7 that any hope for the Jobs era Apple is gone. The majority of mainstream will not realize this for a long time because giving lollipops to babies has a profound effect. However with the amount of bugs that came out with this new version it's clear that the priorities have shifted DRASTICALLY at Apple.

mjb1975
Sep 19, 2013, 03:01 AM
absolutely. I've realized with this release of ios 7 that any hope for the Jobs era Apple is gone. The majority of mainstream will not realize this for a long time because giving lollipops to babies has a profound effect. However with the amount of bugs that came out with this new version it's clear that the priorities have shifted DRASTICALLY at Apple.

Every, single major Android release has been plagued by bugs too. Its part of being an early adopter. Problem there is that Google will blame your carrier since they are the ones who add all their garbage bloatware to your phone before they release it. Your carrier will then blame Google or whoever makes your phone and you will just have to deal with it until a fix comes along a month or two later. Good luck with that though.

Evnor
Sep 19, 2013, 03:26 AM
I could not stand iOS7 (I have used it now for 1,5 months) so I moved to S4 and I could not be any happier. iOS7 feels bit childish to me and the transition animations make me feel nauseous. There are only two things I miss on iOS; (few) apps and iMessage BUT those are not a dealbreakers.

I am still using iPad 2 and might upgrade to upcoming iPad 5 (only because of apps). But getting iPhone 5S.. Meh.

ChazUK
Sep 19, 2013, 03:57 AM
Every, single major Android release has been plagued by bugs too. Its part of being an early adopter. Problem there is that Google will blame your carrier since they are the ones who add all their garbage bloatware to your phone before they release it. Your carrier will then blame Google or whoever makes your phone and you will just have to deal with it until a fix comes along a month or two later. Good luck with that though.

When has this ever happened, Google blaming an OEM for issues with the base Android OS? I can't ever recall this happening so far.

Anything wrong with the base OS is fixed and pushed to AOSP when available. In turn, Nexus and GPE devices then get the updates.

If some Samsung, HTC or carrier customisation is causing a problem and is not a part of the AOSP code, then it is their responsibility to fix it. Those customisations are nothing to do with any Android release either.

Donki
Sep 19, 2013, 03:58 AM
Nope I like the update and had no real issues, its been out less than 24hrs ffs. Watch you dont hit your face with your knee with knee jerk reactions like that :D.

nick_elt
Sep 19, 2013, 05:09 AM
I can't help but be annoyed. I bought an iPhone 5 because I liked the device, iOS 6, and Apple's policy of continuing to issue software updates/security patches.

I did not expect iOS 7 would look the way it does, or have usability issues with the font and brite-white interface. Apps app updates today are starting to adopt the iOS 7 styling.

At some point I will be forced to get iOS 7 in order to receive patches, but if I can't get used to the look, what's a good alternative handset that won't be abandoned as far as updates? I know that the Nexus gets updates regularly. Anything else?

all the top android phones get updated frequently if you download the roms yourself, its the official ones that aren't as frequent

mattopotamus
Sep 19, 2013, 06:12 AM
I had my first experience with IOS 7 yesterday on my ipad. The animations really hurt my head if that makes sense. It does not look put together well at all. I feel like every menu looks different and the color choices make my eyes bleed.

onthecouchagain
Sep 19, 2013, 08:06 AM

Yes because Google has never pushed any x.x.1 updates ever. You know, the ones that address bugs.

:rolleyes:

Based on a few of your other posts, I think we have a new troll, ladies and gents.

tbayrgs
Sep 19, 2013, 08:24 AM
Yes because Google has never pushed any x.x.1 updates ever. You know, the ones that address bugs.

Based on a few of your other posts, I think we have a new troll, ladies and gents.

And his tenure seems to have been a short one, considering is account status now. ;)

IFRIT
Sep 19, 2013, 08:53 AM

If you were previously happy with how iOS worked I would give it some time to see if it grows on you.

Technarchy
Sep 19, 2013, 08:53 AM
When my iPhone 5 was jail broken I had exactly 4 tweaks.

I don't remember all the names of the tweaks but here is their core function:

1- lockscreen notification center
2- quick setting toggles
3- auxo (more visual task manager with gestures)
4- Barrel which provided some visual flair to the home screen.

Apple was reading my mind with iOS 7 and added everything I sought with jail break tweaks. I like the way it looks and it flows wonderfully on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4.

If anything Apple has done enough to draw me back to my iPhone 5 from my current galaxy S4 by eliminating what was some of the things I personally found must annoying about iOS.

onthecouchagain
Sep 19, 2013, 08:54 AM
And his tenure seems to have been a short one, considering is account status now. ;)

Kudos to the mods for not letting this get out of control. Well done.

Prototypical
Sep 19, 2013, 09:16 AM

His point is semi-valid though. Yes, iOS7 was released with bugs. Android X.0 releases usually do too. It isn't a "drastic shift in priorities" at Apple... It is just a matter of growing pains that come with any major rebuild of an OS. The only difference is that Google does major updates regularly, while Apple doesn't.

I updated the 4S last night and I'm not sure how I feel. I'm not 100% impressed, but I don't hate it at all. It's a big shift... I'm sure I'll adjust though. It's definitely a "lighter" OS between the colors, the transparency, etc. Some of the functionality is pretty slick too.

I do have my eye on the Nexus 5 though... not that Verizon will carry it (or at least, not redesign it into some hideous chunk of VZW-graffiti'd plastic).

onthecouchagain
Sep 19, 2013, 09:19 AM
His point is semi-valid though. Yes, iOS7 was released with bugs. Android X.0 releases usually do too. It isn't a "drastic shift in priorities" at Apple... It is just a matter of growing pains that come with any major rebuild of an OS. The only difference is that Google does major updates regularly, while Apple doesn't.

I updated the 4S last night and I'm not sure how I feel. I'm not 100% impressed, but I don't hate it at all. It's a big shift... I'm sure I'll adjust though. It's definitely a "lighter" OS between the colors, the transparency, etc. Some of the functionality is pretty slick too.

I do have my eye on the Nexus 5 though... not that Verizon will carry it (or at least, not redesign it into some hideous chunk of VZW-graffiti'd plastic).

His post suggested that the difference between bugs with Android updates versus bugs with iOS updates is that Google doesn't address them, and instead only points the finger at carriers, etc.

That's the point that I was contending. I would never deny bugs exist in the first round of updates.

onthecouchagain
Sep 19, 2013, 10:08 AM
Everyone knew iOS 7 would polarize. It's really interesting going through the iOS 7 forum reading what people like and dislike.

T5BRICK
Sep 19, 2013, 10:37 AM
I've had iOS 7 on my iPad mini since the GM came out last week and I'm actually starting to like most of it. I don't think I will ever like the very fine font they're using, at least not while I still own the mini. I feel like it was designed more for retina screens and just doesn't look good on older hardware.

Cnasty
Sep 19, 2013, 10:41 AM
im fortunate enough to have my phone which is android and an ipad which is ios7 now to mess with both.

both have their pros and cons and i really like the clean look of the ios7 on my ipad but the enhancements are something ive been used to already on an android device.

i definitely like the look and feel on my ipad better as it just feels very clean,snappy, and more functional.

still wouldnt go back to an iphone at this point though as for me screen size is a huge factor in my day to day use of my "phone"

AustinIllini
Sep 19, 2013, 11:19 AM
Everyone knew iOS 7 would polarize. It's really interesting going through the iOS 7 forum reading what people like and dislike.

I feel like the new features on iOS 7 are worth the flatter, more childish look. I can tolerate the look with things like iTunes radio, quick selecting bluetooth and such.

Frankied22
Sep 19, 2013, 12:28 PM
iOS 7 definitely pushed me to Android for good. I used the beta and I just cannot stand the design. Its the sane boring iOS just with a make over; and a bad make over. There's not really that many new features and nothing innovative. I sold my iPhone 5 and just use my N4 now. I think Googles "project Kennedy" design language is much more pleasing to look at. Apple can get that Aereo out of my face. I'm also done paying insane prices for a phone and a plan on a contract. The nexus prices have spoiled me and I use T-Mobiles $30 a month plan. I get around 22mbps on my N4 where I live. The new iphones were exactly what I expected: a slight bump for the 5S with a useless fingerprint scanner and a 5 in a plastic case that is still too expensive unlocked. I am more excited to get my hands on the next Nexus phone and see what Android 4.4 brings.

I used to be a huge Apple fanboy and had an iPhone since the 3GS but now its all just boring. I barely kept up on the last event and I've been ignoring all the apple headlines in my RSS feed because its the same crap that's written every year.

jrswizzle
Sep 19, 2013, 12:40 PM
Hey OP - I'd encourage you to try it for a while.....

If you still don't like it, Android is a great option. Try not to get sucked in with all these knee-jerk idiot reactions.

I first started using iOS 7 during beta and my initial reaction was not terribly positive as far as the UI goes.

After using it throughout the Beta process I sold my iPhone 5 a few weeks ago in preparation for the 5S release and in doing so had to go back to a 4S running iOS 6. I can't tell you how much I dislike iOS 6 now. It looks and feels outdated and cluttered.

I'm not saying you'll have the same reaction. Everyone is different. For Apple to make any substantial changes, it would require a controversy. People who hate it are going to be much more vocal than those who don't care or even than those who like it.

Take some time to get used to it. Then go back and use iOS 6 if you can. If there are other reasons for switching, this post doesn't apply. But if you're simply wanting to switch because you don't like iOS 7 after a day, I'd encourage you to give it more time.

Hope that helps! At any rate, whatever choice you make you'll have great options available to you!

DeathTheKid
Sep 19, 2013, 01:29 PM
I am an Android to IOS convert. Personally, I think iOS 7 is much more pleasing on the eye, than clean, boring iOS 6. It was time for a UI overhaul. As with anything else you have to give it time. I have been on 7 since the betas and now love the design.

The thing that makes me want to go back to Android is the difficulty of jailbreaking. When I got the 5, I waited 5 months for a jailbreak to be released. Then my speaker broke on my iPhone. I ended up restoring, so I could take it back to the Apple Store for repair and losing my jailbreak. (I forgot Apple was on 6.1.4) Now, I am hoping that a jailbreak will be released for 7 since it has been about 4 months. Meanwhile, to root my Nexus 7, I just put it into recovery mode and issue about 3 commands from ADB(command line) developer tools. Then I have a recovery and can flash ROMs or the superuser zip.

I like Google's approach to modding. People who are going to find ways to root/jailbreak, are going to find a way. It is better they can safely unlock vs having to find an exploit.

Retired Cat
Sep 19, 2013, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I actually want to check out the iPhone 5C tomorrow, so I will also get to take a look at iOS 7 in person.

I am fairly new to smart phones in general, so I am not heavily invested in any particular ecosystem.

mac00l
Sep 19, 2013, 11:49 PM
I'm jumping out of iOS, at least for the phone.

It was something unthinkable for me a year or so ago. I'm not doing so because of iOS 7 (which I kinda like) but because I need an unlocked phone, and getting an iPhone for 650 doesn't make sense to me.

I have invested some money into iOS ecosystem. But I'm finding that most of the apps are either available for iPad, or not being used at all.

Like I said is not iOS 7 per se, but the lack of a compelling reason to pay 550 or 650 for a phone that essentially is the same as an iPhone 5

kramjam
Sep 20, 2013, 12:56 AM
Not eligible for the 5S this year, have to decide whether I want to pony up for the 64GB full retail or jump ship to the Note 3. iOS7 is a nice refreshing look and feel, but mostly everything operates the same. Control Center isn't enough to radically change the way I use my iPhone, especially since I have no way of customizing the apps it can launch.

2013 and we're still using the physical home button to multitask. It just feels so clunky being someone that is constantly switching apps - why can't the phone have gestures similar to the iPad? I would miss quite a few apps that aren't on Android such as Afterlight, VSCOcam and Day One, but am I sure tempted to give the Note 3 a shot for a year and see where Apple is heading with next year's hardware and software. Some default applications are a step backward, and since iOS doesn't let you change default apps... well, you know the drill. The Verge's review of iOS7 really summarized how I felt about the update, and now I find myself ready to take the Android plunge.

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 20, 2013, 02:14 AM
I'm jumping out of iOS, at least for the phone.

It was something unthinkable for me a year or so ago. I'm not doing so because of iOS 7 (which I kinda like) but because I need an unlocked phone, and getting an iPhone for 650 doesn't make sense to me.

I have invested some money into iOS ecosystem. But I'm finding that most of the apps are either available for iPad, or not being used at all.

Like I said is not iOS 7 per se, but the lack of a compelling reason to pay 550 or 650 for a phone that essentially is the same as an iPhone 5
Why don't you spread the cost on a contract rather than buying a phone outright? I think most people would feel the pinch if they spend 500/600 on a phone in one lump sum. I worked mine out and over 24 months with paying something towards the handset (iPhone 5) and the monthly bills I will have paid 857. It doesn't seem so much spread out. :)

dazed
Sep 20, 2013, 02:31 AM
I just snagged one if the last nexus 4s and can't believe how much I like it, as well as android.

I never switched because of ios7 but because I don't like the form factor of the 5 and 5S (very feminine). For $300 inc tax and shipping I got a unlocked phone. Can't beat that really :D

throAU
Sep 20, 2013, 02:49 AM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I actually want to check out the iPhone 5C tomorrow, so I will also get to take a look at iOS 7 in person.

If you're basing hatred of iOS 7 on static screenshots, you're jumping the gun a bit.

In actual use it is way nicer than iOS 6 IMHO.

I evaluated a HTC One running android for a bit last week while waiting for iOS to get a taste of the other side, and didn't like it.

roadbloc
Sep 20, 2013, 03:23 AM
For anyone thinking of moving off iOS 7, I'd also recommend you take a look at some Windows Phone models. Its a nice middle-ground between iOS and Android. Much more flexible and customisable than iOS, but no so much so that you run the risk of bricking your phone if you try too much. And plenty of apps too.

Saying that, I really like the look of iOS 7. I always said my next phone would be another Nokia Windows Phone, but now I'm not so sure with the new iOS design and the *slightly* cheaper iPhone.

ChazUK
Sep 20, 2013, 03:32 AM
Poor Miley. :(

http://chazclout.com/CV/Upload/images/miley.png

mac00l
Sep 20, 2013, 03:38 AM
Why don't you spread the cost on a contract rather than buying a phone outright? I think most people would feel the pinch if they spend 500/600 on a phone in one lump sum. I worked mine out and over 24 months with paying something towards the handset (iPhone 5) and the monthly bills I will have paid 857. It doesn't seem so much spread out. :)

Because I can't. For the next couple of years I'm not sure I'll be staying for more than a year in a given country. Since most contracts are 2 year, it wouldn't make sense.

That is why I need an unlocked phone with broad gsm band support.

fredaroony
Sep 20, 2013, 04:04 AM

If you could change it to a dark theme it wouldn't look nearly as bad as it does in my opinion. I'm not upgrading my iPad mini anytime soon.

leman
Sep 20, 2013, 04:56 AM
Well, I was considering switching to Android recently, but iOS 7 fixed most of the things which bothered me with my iPhone. Not a big fan of the new icons, but the functionality improvements are excellent. The new mail, calendar, weather and clock are so much better than iOS 6. And the new quick-access CP is very handy. I wouldn't know who Android would make me happier? Widgets? Hm, they are nice, but IMO they still don't work right - most widgets look completely out of place.

The-Real-Deal82
Sep 20, 2013, 04:58 AM
Because I can't. For the next couple of years I'm not sure I'll be staying for more than a year in a given country. Since most contracts are 2 year, it wouldn't make sense.

That is why I need an unlocked phone with broad gsm band support.
Oh right fair enough :)
Would you consider buying a second hand iPhone 5 or are you only interested in the very latest?

cuzo
Sep 20, 2013, 05:12 AM
Can anyone post a video of the android OS and what its better?

I'm curious...

Don't post the one with the nexus (galaxy) vs the iphone 4, post one newer so I can see how far android is come.

I like android but I'm worried about updates and lack of lag.

My ios 7 is boring but very stable.

rillrill
Sep 20, 2013, 05:16 AM
stuck on an iphone 4 until the note 3 comes out. i dont think ios 7 as a whole is as bad as everyone says, but its buggy. the zoom animation needs to go. i think its covering up the slowness on the phone, and when you want to go to yr first page of apps, yr zooming forever.

the funniest thing about this update is that it really is superficial, but you watch these hooples like ive and cook talk it up like you have to have it. its the best zooming you will see on a mobile device. fix icloud, you pricks.

JackieInCo
Sep 20, 2013, 08:29 AM
After having a few of my most used apps not work correctly on my 4S and iPad Mini, I downgraded back to 6.1.3 ob both a few hours ago. I'll gladly upgrade to 7.0 once again when the devs release the app updates I need.

I am happy once again.

APhillyApple
Sep 20, 2013, 08:42 AM
Nope, not pushing me anywhere. I like iOS 7.

T5BRICK
Sep 20, 2013, 08:46 AM
Can anyone post a video of the android OS and what its better?

I'm curious...

Don't post the one with the nexus (galaxy) vs the iphone 4, post one newer so I can see how far android is come.

I like android but I'm worried about updates and lack of lag.

My ios 7 is boring but very stable.

What? I'm not even sure what you're asking to see. If you're interested in Android, go do some google searches, read some reviews. There is a ton of info out there, you just have to look for it.

Personally, I don't worry about updates and lag. Updates are handled by me, as I'm constantly changing my ROM depending on my mood. I'm usually running the latest OS within a day or two of its release. As for lag, I know people talk about it, but honestly I don't see any more lag on my HTC One than I did on my iPhone 4s. What I do know is that I can speed up animations on my Android phone, whereas the iPhone I can't. Right now, the unlock animation on iOS 7 is wayyyy too slow.

ucfgrad93
Sep 20, 2013, 09:23 AM
Part of the reason I switched was because of how iOS 7 looks. I bought a HTC One in early July.

MRSucks
Sep 20, 2013, 09:57 AM
iO7 and game changer 5s set iPhones to me, for life. Once in a while, I will try or will have a secondary, best for me, non-iOS / iPhone device .

r0k
Sep 20, 2013, 01:14 PM
I have mixed but mostly positive feelings about iOS7. I also own a Moto Razr M so all I have to compare to is rather ugly hardware running JellyBean. I'm in no way tempted to leave iOS at this time.

I installed iOS7 for my wife yesterday evening and she flipped. It turns out she was the person all those skeuomorphisms were for. And she has some valid points. She said "everything is too white". In calendar, you used to get alternating bands of color so events didn't run together. In memos you used to get lines like lined paper which gave a visual cue where you were and how big a memo you had, in monthly calendar view, there were little boxes around the days to help your eye follow weeks of the month. I mean I've been looking at calendars with grid views since Kennedy was president, and I'm pretty sure that format was around a few centuries before my time. If it wasn't a good idea, don't you think print calendars would have dropped those grid lines a long time ago? It's not that the lines aren't there, it's that they are so skinny and hard to see, they disappear for somebody with "old eyes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia)".

I'm not saying Apple designed iOS7 for teenagers in order to avoid the scenario Samsung made fun of in their commercial where those waiting in line for a new iphone were holding a spot for their parents. I'm saying they need a balance and for me they have gone too far. Too clean. Too bland. Too uncluttered. Too white. Should we start removing lane lines because they make freeways look cluttered? I think not. Another area is the inbox. All the messages look run together. I tried increasing the font and now she gets less on the screen but still struggles to see where one message ends and another begins. I tried installing calendars+ for her but alas it's no longer available in the app store. I have it on my iPhone 5 but she can't get it on her iPhone 4S. She's the one this bothers most. There is a new version of calendars (Readdle) but it also abandons alternating bands of color to help you see which message is which. What LUNACY! :eek:

I have to wholeheartedly agree with my wife on this and I think what happened here is Jony Ive got too much power all at once. There is no voice there to speak up for reasonable details that would make iOS7 easier to use. I just hope it doesn't take Apple as long to bring back the (few) useful skeuomorphisms as it did for MS to bring back the Start button. :rolleyes:

Now that I've said all this, I must also state that this is a very small thing to me. I'm sorry in inflicted this update on my wife, but these issues won't prevent me from using and enjoying iOS7. I only hope Apple has the good sense to swing the pendulum back a little bit toward intuitive design which brings some elements from the real world to the screen.

onthecouchagain
Sep 20, 2013, 01:59 PM
This, again, highlights the beauty of Android's flexibility -- to be able to make other apps default. If someone finds the default apps un-usable because of a radical design change, they can swap it out for a different one and set that as the default across the whole operating system.

What good are all those wonderful apps in the App Store when they can't be set to default for people who love them and prefer them?

It's things like this that make iOS near impossible for me to return to unless it's changed.

With Android, it is truly my phone with all the specifics catered to my needs.

Retired Cat
Sep 20, 2013, 06:20 PM
I had the chance to use iOS 7 today at an Apple store, and I find that there are some good things and some bad things.

The clean look is mostly refreshing, and I had no trouble navigating apps and menus. Everything was pretty seamless on 5S and 5C hardware. I think Control Center is a much needed addition.

Some aspects of the interface seem unpolished though. For example, the dock is really ugly on wallpapers that aren't the stock 5C backgrounds. Newsstand is also pretty terrible. There's a blinding amount of white space in apps like Calendar and Settings. The subtle blue/gray in iOS 6 is much more pleasant to look at. Fonts are ok when black, but still less easy on the eyes than in iOS 6. White lettering I found hard to read.

Icons. Game Center and Safari were as ugly as I feared, though the others seemed ok. This matters less to me as I generally don't use many of the Apple apps on my home screen.

Overall, I felt that Apple had the right ideas, but that the implementation wasn't quite right. As iOS evolves from 7 to 8 and beyond, I think things will get better.

In short: iOS 7 needs a fair amount of work still, but its not fundamentally bad or flawed in a way that makes me want to jump ship just yet.

onthecouchagain
Sep 20, 2013, 06:33 PM
I wonder if the same people would be as forgiving if Android or Windows or Samsung/HTC/Sony skins were released this "unpolished" and with slow animations to mask the loading.

Cnasty
Sep 20, 2013, 07:46 PM
I wonder if the same people would be as forgiving if Android or Windows or Samsung/HTC/Sony skins were released this "unpolished" and with slow animations to mask the loading.

Come on.

You know that answer. Quit fishing. :D

mac00l
Sep 21, 2013, 01:41 PM
Oh right fair enough :)
Would you consider buying a second hand iPhone 5 or are you only interested in the very latest?

Actually I already have an iPhone 5, I left it back home cause still is under contract. The person using it takes care of what's remaining.

Honestly I don't feel like getting another iPhone 5. I'm into my 2nd month with only a 20 bucks flip phone and my iPad, and to be honest I don't miss it that much.

The only times I miss it, are when something unexpected happens and I want to take a picture, or for hearing some music every so often. Furthermore my iPad is more than enough to enjoy iOS. Truthfully somehow I'm really exited about the Nexus 5 now, I might be biased, but there is no way I'm getting something else.

onthecouchagain
Sep 22, 2013, 10:08 AM
Someone in the family updated to iOS 7. I got a chance to use it.

Anyone else think it's extremely cluttered? Not that I want skeuomorphism back, but at least back then it had lines that delineated what ended where. I just pulled this image below off Google as an example, but it's not even the best example of this. Each thing bleeds into the next which doesn't sound like a bad thing on paper but on such a small screen, things feel really cramped and cluttered to me. It almost reminds me of WP8 with the fonts almost blending into each other.

http://i2.wp.com/theultralinx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Messages-Screen.png?resize=620%2C545

EDIT: Here's a better example. The top navigation pane just looks out of balance:

http://geeksays.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/iOS_7_hidden_menu.png

The colors are also insanely bright. There is sooo much white. White everywhere! It almost made my eyes hurt and took time to adjust. As I predicted, I liked the transparency effects, but found some of the icons downright ugly. They're not as easily recognizable either. You have to sort of read what the app is before recognizing it. I guess it takes time to adjust to an entirely new look.

Control Center is nice, as everyone has said. It's a damn shame though you can't customize it. It's begging to be customized. I just don't need music controls there all the time and it takes up such a huge chunk. I don't use Bluetooth either nor do I need the calculator/stop watch so readily accessible. It's a shame I can't swap those out for things that I might want easier access too.

I can definitely understand all the complaints about the slow animation. They feel slow especially when I took out my HTC One to compare apps opening. Apps on Android still open/close with that zoom in and zoom out (like exploding/imploding) effect but it does it so much faster.

Safari is a HUGE improvement. Like, ridiculously huge. Probably my favorite thing about iOS 7. It's very much like Chrome now, with slide-able tabs and a unified great search bar. It's SO nice to not have to use so many taps and slides just to switch tabs. It's unbelievable it took Apple this long to improve Safari. And yes, finally, private browsing where it should be. Kudos to them.

Mail still sucks tremendously. I hate that you can't tell from which inbox a mail in "All Mail" is from. Am I just using it wrong? Is there a way to tell? There isn't as far as I know. And again, on such a small screen, things really do feel cluttered. And the keyboard... still the same ol' keyboard. I won't go into detail here, but as most of you already know, I hate the keyboard. Why are all the letters still permanently in caps? Why is this keyboard not adapting? Where is swipe/gesture like functionality? Why can't I long press for secondary characters? Why do I still have no control over my personal dictionary? :(

Anyway, I don't have much else to say. I obviously didn't have very much time with it, as that family member wanted his phone back, but I couldn't help shake the familiarity of iOS. In other words, it felt like iOS no matter how you spin it, and that's good for Apple's main target base. iOS is growing in interesting ways and it's about time, but at this point in time there's simply no way it's significant nor fast enough to tempt me back to the iPhone.

My One feels immensely more powerful and I don't mean spec-wise either (except for the larger and prettier screen); I mean it software wise. Android is so much more flexible, so much more adaptable to my specific preferences, and just -- I'm not sure how else to describe this, but... -- just makes more sense to me. Even things as basic as the back button or the menu button I was missing right away. With iOS, I had to actively find how to go "back." Much like iOS of past, sometimes it's top left, sometimes top right, sometimes it's a "cancel" button on the bottom. Ditto the menu button. Sometimes I want to tinker with the settings to see different results, and I forget that I have to actually leave the app to accomplish this. Does this really make sense to anyone? Not to me.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

EDIT: I wonder if a lot of iOS' limitations comes from the fact that it's built on legacy software meant for smaller screens. I really hope when Apple adopts a larger screen, it'll also expand (figuratively and literally) iOS. Gestures should become universal (I like how iMessage lets you swipe to go back, much like how it is in Hangouts. Nifty and useful feature). We should be able to get into the settings screen immediately within an app. Things ought to be more customizable. It doesn't have to be complicated. For example, keyboard sizes can be "small, medium, large" to offer different heights. Swiftkey does this. It doesn't have to be numerical value like other keyboards (though assigning numerical value shouldn't be mind-bendingly difficult, either).

cube
Sep 22, 2013, 12:20 PM
White iOS 7 is making me think about not getting the maxipad even if it is quad core.

Vetvito
Sep 22, 2013, 12:32 PM
For anyone thinking of moving off iOS 7, I'd also recommend you take a look at some Windows Phone models. Its a nice middle-ground between iOS and Android. Much more flexible and customisable than iOS, but no so much so that you run the risk of bricking your phone if you try too much. And plenty of apps too.

Saying that, I really like the look of iOS 7. I always said my next phone would be another Nokia Windows Phone, but now I'm not so sure with the new iOS design and the *slightly* cheaper iPhone.

I never understood this. How is Windows Phone more customizable than iOS?

All you can do is change tile sizes. You don't even have separate volume controls or custom notification sounds on windows phone.

onthecouchagain
Sep 22, 2013, 01:03 PM

All you can do is change tile sizes. You don't even have separate volume controls or custom notification sounds on windows phone.

I also don't know how anybody can reconcile the lack of apps. Especially coming from those who think Android doesn't offer enough apps.

joshwithachance
Sep 22, 2013, 03:04 PM
I played with my coworkers iPhone 5 this week a few times to try out iOS 7 and I don't really like it. It has that initial "wow" compared to iOS 6, but it's just too damn white. On top of that, the new animations are sloooooooow, especially when compared to my HTC One. I don't even find the ecosystem excuse enough anymore, as Google Music + Dropbox have satiated all my cloud needs, and the apps are basically on par now.

MsvSpaz
Sep 22, 2013, 04:58 PM
I have both an iPhone 5 and a GS4 and since iOS7 I have taken the iPhone out of retirement and stashed the Galaxy back in my drawer.
If nothing else, iOS7 is refreshing to look at and whilst it does not drastically change the experience it certainly adds some welcome functionality. As far as theming and icons I could really not care less, I have all that on the GS4 and I find them to be just a time waster. I also like the new camera app and find that my photos are generally much better with the iPhone.

apolloa
Sep 22, 2013, 05:22 PM
Well I have a Nexus 7, and believe me I am loving Android 4.3 next to iOS7, so yes iOS7 is pushing me towards, for the first time ever, as well as Apples price increase on the 5S and the high price of the 5C, towards an Android phone.

I am going to wait to see if Sony make an Xperia Z1 mini as they are rumoured to be doing so, and it is rumoured to have the same awesome 20mpx camera. That'll push me over I think.

The more I now use iOS7 the more I hate my iPhone cause of it, and I cannot change back now either!

The fact that under Cook, they have totally changed the thinking behind iOS with sticking Ives in charge of it clearly shows IMO.
Remember Jobs went to great lengths to ensure the hardware team under Ives and the iOS teams under someone else were kept totally apart and separate? Well now you now WHY he did that!

Also considering they have increased the price of the iPhone 5S over the 5 in the UK, I really dread to think what kind of pricing they'll slap on any iPhone with a bigger screen!

Liquorpuki
Sep 22, 2013, 08:54 PM

iOS is the least customizable of the 3 when it comes to the UI

WP8 I can change my theme, change colors, change tiles sizes, configure what data a tile shows, download themes to change the look of tiles entirely, configure the lockscreen on what multiple types of data to display. Note that a tile in WP8 is a hybrid configurable icon / limited-info widget

iOS all you get is a static icon grid

Android is on its own level. Being able to stick an icon wherever I want on the grid is refreshing. So is being able to choose from various sized widgets that aren't space constrained for information

Vetvito
Sep 22, 2013, 09:13 PM
iOS is the least customizable of the 3 when it comes to the UI

WP8 I can change my theme, change colors, change tiles sizes, configure what data a tile shows, download themes to change the look of tiles entirely, configure the lockscreen on what multiple types of data to display. Note that a tile in WP8 is a hybrid configurable icon / limited-info widget

iOS all you get is a static icon grid

Android is on its own level. Being able to stick an icon wherever I want on the grid is refreshing. So is being able to choose from various sized widgets that aren't space constrained for information

Changing colors? Are we calling picking black or white a feature now?

Wow, changing tile sizes is such customization.

Lastly accent colors for tiles. Is that it?

Let me know when you can customize the notification center.... Oh wait.

Let me know when you can change more than the lock screen wallpaper... Oh wait.

Let me know when you can separate the volume controls... Oh wait.

Let me know when you can have more than 3 apps show notifications on the lock screen... Oh boy.

Let me know when the live tiles(heavily promoted) actually work... Oh geez.

Sure, iOS is just a static grid of icons with absolutely no customization. Let's just pretend the notification center doesn't exist.

Has push notifications even been fixed on Windows Phone yet? Nope, Lumia shall stay put away.

I think I may pull it out to really customize it. Pick between the black or white theme, then move some tiles around. Really dress it up with a weather lock screen app.

iEnvy
Sep 22, 2013, 09:43 PM
Some of you guys are really reaching for something nitpick. Especially because some of the things that are disliked can be fixed in one update. There are cons but iOS 7 is still a good OS that can get the job done. No need for some of you guys to act like its freaking horrible because it's essentially still iOS. Some of you sound as bad as a Samsung commercial.

Despite my rant though, I am still excited to pick up a Nexus 5 as soon as it is announced/released.

Liquorpuki
Sep 22, 2013, 09:55 PM
Changing colors? Are we calling picking black or white a feature now?

Wow, changing tile sizes is such customization.

Lastly accent colors for tiles. Is that it?

The iOS alternative you're vouching for is a static icon grid. You can't do anything with your app grid except stick them in folders. If WP8 ranks a 2 on customizability, iOS is a big fat 0

Let me know when you can customize the notification center.... Oh wait.

No notification center until GDR3. Though what's the point of a notification center in the first place? It's to display data. When you have a data-centric OS like WP8 or Android, data gets outputted directly to the UI and the notification center becomes redundant for anything except convenience.

Only when you have a static UI where no data gets outputted ANYWHERE except for a number in the corner of some icons, do you absolutely need a notification center.

Many people were hoping Apple would upgrade their UI to become data-centric but nope, they decided to just reskin everything with frosted glass and pastels and have marketing give their usual spiel about how magical and beautiful iOS is

Let me know when you can change more than the lock screen wallpaper... Oh wait.

Let me know when you can separate the volume controls... Oh wait.

Let me know when you can activate the camera and take a picture without it being a pain in the ass. Let me know when you can take a low light shot where movement isn't a guaranteed blur. Let me know when Apple decides to incorporate a camera flash that isn't useless if the target is more than 1 meter away

None of this has anything to do with customization. This is all feature parity stuff

Let me know when you can have more than 3 apps show notifications on the lock screen... Oh boy.

Let me know when the live tiles(heavily promoted) actually work... Oh geez.

I use a Moto X now but when I used an 8X, I had 5 apps outputting to my lockscreen. And LiveTiles worked fine for me, I don't know what was wrong with your phone

I think I may pull it out to really customize it. Pick between the black or white theme, then move some tiles around. Really dress it up with a weather lock screen app.

No you should keep your Lumia in the drawer and enjoy your iPhone with its magical My Little Pony color palette and static app grid carried over from the Palm Pilot days. Make sure you also get one of those $30 branded Connect 4 cases that only cost Apple $3 to manufacture. Apple is counting on you bro

Vetvito
Sep 22, 2013, 10:13 PM
The iOS alternative you're vouching for is a static icon grid. You can't do anything with your app grid except stick them in folders. If WP8 ranks a 2 on customizability, iOS is a big fat 0

Lol, you can move them around like tiles.

No notification center until GDR3. Though what's the point of a notification center in the first place? It's to display data. When you have a data-centric OS like WP8 or Android, data gets outputted directly to the UI and the notification center becomes redundant for anything except convenience.

Only when you have a static UI where no data gets outputted ANYWHERE except for a number in the corner of some icons, do you absolutely need a notification center.

Many people were hoping Apple would upgrade their UI to become data-centric but nope, they decided to just reskin everything with frosted glass and pastels and have marketing give their usual spiel about how magical and beautiful iOS is

It's not needed but they're adding one? You mean Windows Phone blue btw, or 8.1. GDR3 just adds support for the Lumia 1520.

Let me know when you can activate the camera and take a picture without it being a pain in the ass. Let me know when you can take a low light shot where movement isn't a guaranteed blur. Let me know when Apple decides to incorporate a camera flash that isn't useless if the target is more than 1 meter away

None of this has anything to do with customization. This is all feature parity stuff
You know you're reaching when the camera is all you have to tout.

I use a Moto X now but when I used an 8X, I had 5 apps outputting to my lockscreen. And LiveTiles worked fine for me, I don't know what was wrong with your phone

Just visit wpcentral, wasn't just my phone. It's pretty common too. You can only have 3 apps put on the lock screen. I'm not referring to toast.

No you should keep your Lumia in the drawer and enjoy your iPhone with its magical My Little Pony color palette and static app grid carried over from the Palm Pilot days. Make sure you also get one of those $30 branded Connect 4 cases that only cost Apple $3 to manufacture. Apple is counting on you bro

Why are you talking about your little pony?

$30 case? No thanks mine costs $175, you know I prefer the nice stuff. Nothing wrong if you like $30 cases though.

Liquorpuki
Sep 22, 2013, 10:38 PM
It's not needed but they're adding one? You mean Windows Phone blue btw, or 8.1. GDR3 just adds support for the Lumia 1520.

8.1. And they're adding one for feature parity and because a lot of people requested it. Information-wise it's a duplicate of the same data that goes directly to the UI

This is different from iOS, where nothing goes to the UI

You know you're reaching when the camera is all you have to tout.

You know you're reaching when a notification center is all you have to tout

Just visit wpcentral, wasn't just my phone. It's pretty common too. You can only have 3 apps put on the lock screen. I'm not referring to toast.

You get 5 Quick Status and 1 Detailed Status on the lockscreen

Why are you talking about your little pony?

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3089/palettew.jpg

$30 case? No thanks mine costs $175, you know I prefer the nice stuff. Nothing wrong if you like $30 cases though.

lol

Vetvito
Sep 22, 2013, 10:42 PM
^ I don't know if you're a guy or girl, but if you like kittens and colorful ponies, that's your business. I don't judge.

Shrug my shoulders at that other stuff.

Liquorpuki
Sep 22, 2013, 10:53 PM
^ I don't know if you're a guy or girl, but if you like kittens and colorful ponies, that's your business. I don't judge.

I'm a guy, I tried to like iOS 7 but my penis won't let me

Vetvito
Sep 22, 2013, 10:55 PM
I'm a guy, I tried to like iOS 7 but my penis won't let me

LMAO !!! Alright you win.

chimpboy74
Sep 25, 2013, 02:58 PM
Ios7 hasn't pushed me to android (cost of new iphone did that) but I'm not enjoying ios7 on my iPad.

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2013, 12:04 AM
Wow the parallax and slow animations really affecting people in an adverse way:

iPhone and iPad users report severe motion sickness while using iOS 7

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/25/4770818/ios-7-zooming-animations-causing-reports-of-severe-motion-sickness

Especially those people with vertigo.

M87
Sep 26, 2013, 10:17 AM
No, I like iOS 7. It's pretty much just screen size that is pushing me away from the iPhone.

rockitdog
Sep 26, 2013, 11:04 AM
iOS 7/ iPhone 5s pushed me right back into the arms of a Galaxy S4. My eyes instantly thaks me for the larger screen and my fingers are loving not being crammed onto a small keyboard.

NuggetSauce
Sep 26, 2013, 03:08 PM
iOS 7/ iPhone 5s pushed me right back into the arms of a Galaxy S4. My eyes instantly thaks me for the larger screen and my fingers are loving not being crammed onto a small keyboard.

Time to update your sig then!

rockitdog
Sep 26, 2013, 03:28 PM
Time to update your sig then!

Haha, yep... I'll get right on that!

Antgb84
Sep 26, 2013, 07:51 PM
Dog's bollox, not pushing to Android at all, actually pushing me to buy an iPad Mini with retina cuzz I just got the MacBook Pro and it's brilliant, love Apple eco system thanks for the input. :rolleyes: :apple:

Tsuchiya
Sep 29, 2013, 12:37 PM
I think Apple kind of ****ed up in terms of general usability and there are a few bugs in the iPad and iPhone 4S versions that are annoying. I don't particularly hate it, but I suppose I wouldn't really miss it anymore.

R.Stoychev
Sep 30, 2013, 06:41 AM
ios 7 is pushing me to get android tablet, I'll wait to see the new ipad mini, but for now the nexus 7 2013 is my fav. :rolleyes:

Phil A.
Sep 30, 2013, 07:53 AM
I'd already moved away from the iPhone when the 5 came out but kept my iPad mini as I felt it was the best tablet around and absolutely loved it.
I installed iOS 7 on it and it was the biggest mistake I've ever made with regard to tech: Not only do I hate the way it looks (I installed it because I thought it looked brilliant in the keynote, and was excited to see it in the flesh), I can't use it now as it gives me a migraine (full on migraine with aura) within 15 minutes whenever I use it. I don't know if it's the over-use of glaring white or the visual effects, but something doesn't agree with me.

I missed the downgrade window, so that iPad is stuck on iOS7+ forever, which effectively means I can't use it. I've just bought a Nexus 7 and it's a great tablet and, more importantly, it doesn't give me migraines. My iPad mini is now up for sale and I can't see me going back to iOS unless something changes and it stops giving me migraines!

beegie
Sep 30, 2013, 09:08 AM
"Why are you talking about your little pony?"

Image (http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3089/palettew.jpg)

lol

With Robert Iger, CEO of Disney, on Apple's Board of Directors, & with Andrea Jung, CEO(?) of AVON also on Apple's Board of Directors, it only makes sense, doesn't it, that we finally have a DISNEY-cartoon UI with AVON pastel "Eye Shadow" colors! :D

Re the OP's Q/subject of this thread, was ready to buy new, after 4 years w/3Gs, UNTIL 9/10/13 when I began hearing the horrible news! No thanks Cook/Ive. Will get a 5 w/ios6 if a new, unlocked 64gb can even be found anymore; or am wide open to considering non-Apple products after 19 years in the Apple/Mac loop (Dad's first tiny Mac was 1984).

The $850 price @ Apple Store for unlocked 5s 64gb doesn't help either, but would have "ouched" myself if it had what I need vs what Apple thinks the kiddies need.

beegie
Sep 30, 2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks for this warning & verification from others who have used ios7! Being already sensitive to car sickness, ocean sickness/cruises, & spells of vertigo, this would not be good. Chalk up another reason to avoid ios7. Can animations be turned off in non-iPhone devices?

Wow the parallax and slow animations really affecting people in an adverse way:

iPhone and iPad users report severe motion sickness while using iOS 7

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/25/4770818/ios-7-zooming-animations-causing-reports-of-severe-motion-sickness

Especially those people with vertigo.

fredaroony
Sep 30, 2013, 02:56 PM
The $850 price @ Apple Store for unlocked 5s 64gb doesn't help either, but would have "ouched" myself if it had what I need vs what Apple thinks the kiddies need.

That phone is $1129 here in Australia which is completely laughable.

The-Real-Deal82
Oct 1, 2013, 04:34 AM
I can't use it now as it gives me a migraine (full on migraine with aura) within 15 minutes whenever I use it. I don't know if it's the over-use of glaring white or the visual effects, but something doesn't agree with me.
I doubt its the over use of white. This web page is full-on white and you can reduce screen brightness on most devices. Its most probably the animations.

chrisrosemusic1
Oct 1, 2013, 08:08 AM

MacRumorUser
Oct 2, 2013, 02:57 AM
Thanks for this warning & verification from others who have used ios7! Being already sensitive to car sickness, ocean sickness/cruises, & spells of vertigo, this would not be good. Chalk up another reason to avoid ios7. Can animations be turned off in non-iPhone devices?

Yes & no.

General / accessibility / reduce motion

This turns off parallax, but you still get animations.

Also enable bold text and it makes text clearer and easy to read.

I too get car / sea sickness but wasn't effected by iOS 7. I just found turning off parallax and enabling bold just made the OS better.

beegie
Oct 2, 2013, 04:57 AM
I too get car / sea sickness but wasn't effected by iOS 7. I just found turning off parallax and enabling bold just made the OS better.

Thanks MRU, that is encouraging news!

Savor
Oct 2, 2013, 06:38 AM
iOS7 is basically a big middle finger to Scott Forstall's skeumorphic design.

After he got canned last year by Tim Cook because Scott had zero remorse for Apple Maps, it basically put Forstall's arch nemesis Jony Ive into a tough position at taking over his role in such a limited time frame of less than 7 months. Jony is known for great external design. Scott was basically known for putting OSX onto a phone since he came from NeXT. The original mastermind of iOS.

This was a RUSH job by Jony. Since Tim lacks the attention to detail like Steve Jobs and Forstall's only supporter was Steve who is already dead, iOS7 basically would have inconsistencies from the start. Limited time frame and lack of software design experience from Jony compared to Scott's is what made this a mess.

I prefer Forstall's style. One of my fav default icons was the iPod icon which they got rid of by iOS5. But it is what it is. Scott was terrible to work with for everybody at Apple except SJ. I already moved onto Android BEFORE iOS7 so the recent iOS is just another reason I would never go back to it.

I can be very OCD on what my homescreen looks like. Every inch, pixel, color, font size, spacing, tiniest details etc on the homescreen I pay attention to. Everything like the quantity of apps has to be EVEN in homescreen and drawer. Even the background picture mixed with the actual color of the phone matters to me. I generally like hiding apps with ugly icons and locking the desktop to stay still. Android and its many launchers and icon pack lets me to that. It caters to the OCD like me.

Rodster
Oct 2, 2013, 06:51 AM
I have been with Android devices before buying my first iPad. I'm not opposed to a Flat OS or UI but man iOS 7 is so unlike Apple. It's so inconsistent and parts of it look awful. I was planning on buying a new iPad but now i'm not so sure.

My other problem is I suffer from migraine headaches and all the whites used throughout the UI would not help either. I have NO doubt someone would have been fired if this cluster _ _ _ _ was presented to SJ.

beegie
Oct 3, 2013, 04:43 AM
I have been with Android devices before buying my first iPad. I'm not opposed to a Flat OS or UI but man iOS 7 is so unlike Apple. It's so inconsistent and parts of it look awful. I was planning on buying a new iPad but now i'm not so sure.

Ditto, Agree re "so unlike Apple," looks awful, & was planning to get newest hardware without a second thought. Almost 2 weeks of time/energy now wasted (or if you prefer, "invested") in trying to reach a decision due to the new "shocking" ios (& its still-ongoing lack of common sense features, especially re photo organization, etc.)

It's a hard decision to spend $$ to "go backward" to iph5 ios6 (but still an "upgrade" from my 3Gs) which the iph5/ios6 would only last maybe 3 more years tech-wise, but that's my plan as of last night; I use my iph heavily for "work product" & switching to iph5s w/ios7 would be like somebody coming in overnight & ransacking/turning the office upside down & saying, "Here, try to keep working in this new mess as efficiently you were previously." I'm not willing to invest the time now in order to "put the office back together." Android is also an option, if not now, then 3-years from now when they should be even better.

As for flat UI, if I wanted a flat-lined coloring book I would have bought one.

Dear Jony Ive & Tim Cook: How about we strip your cars of their gloss & shine leaving nothing but a dull flat primer. How enjoyable would it be to get in & drive your cars then? No "ooooh aaaah" satisfaction at the sight of your beloved cars but only an "eeee gads, get me outta this ugly thing until they re-paint the car!" reaction; not to mention a thief at the paint shop trashed the dashboard & all the knobs & directionals were ripped out. And where is the gear shift & steering wheel now!? -- Etc.

Turning on the Black-on-White setting in my older 3Gs turns Safari into a gorgeous shiny glossy black & gold visual. Wow! It's so deliciously luxurious-looking I feel like I just walked into a very expensive jewelry store! That's what a UI should look like! (If it didn't mess up photos & icons I would leave it on full-time!!)

My other problem is I suffer from migraine headaches and all the whites used throughout the UI would not help either. I have NO doubt someone would have been fired if this cluster _ _ _ _ was presented to SJ.

Re WHITE: Cook, Ive, & Apple engineers should read up at the LOW BLUE LIGHTS site founded by former GE Lighting engineers: http://lowbluelights.com Bright White lights are cancer-causing because they affect the pineal gland just above/between our eyes & inhibit that gland from producing melatonin which, as everyone knows, does not only induce deep healing sleep, but melatonin also hinders cancers from developing. Tech gadgets/phones/laptops/computers are bad enough due to their "bright white" screens, but adding insult to injury with a bright white UI surely isn't going to help.

fullauto
Oct 3, 2013, 04:51 AM
I have a definite interest in getting an Android tab, well until I see a video of jellybean and how all over the place it looks with widgets, settings and then I think.. Nah. I think it's curiosity of the unknown, but in all honesty iOS ticks all my boxes so why bother. A retina mini will solve my desire to further investigate.

mattopotamus
Oct 3, 2013, 07:17 AM

I will say on a phone the animations are tolerable, but on a screen the size of the ipad the animations give me a headache.

chagla
Oct 3, 2013, 07:52 AM
Yes & no.

General / accessibility / reduce motion

This turns off parallax, but you still get animations.

Also enable bold text and it makes text clearer and easy to read.

i dont' see this option in iphone 4? ios7 running sluggishly on iphone 4.
i hope apple provide an option to turn off animation completely if a user wants.
also an official theme that could change the look to ios6 would be great.

i should have stayed with jailbroken ios6. ah well..

MacRumorUser
Oct 3, 2013, 09:36 AM
i dont' see this option in iphone 4? ios7 running sluggishly on iphone 4.

Yep sadly on an iPhone 4 they have already turned it off / disabled it because of the older hardware.