Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
OK. It finally happened. My iBook (500Mhz) is injured. I just returned from the holidays and my computer (accidentally left on) is a little screwed up. The plastic around the bottom of the screen is a little warped out , leaving like a 1cm gap in the center bottom of the screen while closing up on the sides. When the computer is closed, the warped plastic seems to push out the top of the computer from the hinge a little bit.

I guess it got overheated and melted a bit, because I didn't drop it at any point, and I assume my wife would fess up if she did. The whole hinge mechanism seems loose and more delicate at this point.

The problem is that the wiring (I guess) is loose and the monitor doesn't fully turn on. I can see that there is somewhat of an image, but it's almost completely dim. I fiddled with it a bit and suddenly the screen came back on, and remained on for a while until I picked the computer up, then it went semi-dead again.

The computer works fine, it's just the monitor connection.

I guess I'm asking for suggestions. I don't need the computer enough to pay to repair it, and I imagine the cost wouldn't be worth it. How hard would it be to take it apart myself and try to fix this?

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
it really depends on how good with computer you are
unless you know a good deal about em i wouldnt reccomend it
you could always sell it for parts

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
open up the LCD half and see what's up with the inverter board. that's really easy to fix.. takes 30 minutes.

since you say it was slightly melted (?) it could be the cabling going to the inverter board.

Inverter board is what usually makes screens not light up, but you can still see the screen when you hold a flashlight up to it.

you can get them from pbfixit and some other places. google around for it.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
If it was actually hot enough to melt, idd be just happy you still have a house! Maybe I'm paranoid but you don't seem to realize that a fire could have started :eek:

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
Crack the baby open and try fiddling with it. Worst thing that could happen would be you breaking something in which case you could eBay the remaining organs.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
miloblithe said:
OK. It finally happened. My iBook (500Mhz) is injured. I just returned from the holidays and my computer (accidentally left on) is a little screwed up. The plastic around the bottom of the screen is a little warped out , leaving like a 1cm gap in the center bottom of the screen while closing up on the sides. When the computer is closed, the warped plastic seems to push out the top of the computer from the hinge a little bit.

I guess it got overheated and melted a bit, because I didn't drop it at any point, and I assume my wife would fess up if she did. The whole hinge mechanism seems loose and more delicate at this point.

I guess I'm asking for suggestions. I don't need the computer enough to pay to repair it, and I imagine the cost wouldn't be worth it. How hard would it be to take it apart myself and try to fix this?

I'd buy a new bottom case for it -- new or used -- like 50 bucks. Then I'd take it all apart and fix that inverter cable. Then I'd drop a new hard drive into it. Then I'd tighten the lcd hinges and get back to work and NEVER leave it on again. Another poster is correct -- if it almost melted itself, it almost burned down your house. How come it didn't just go to sleep?

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe I'm exaggurating about the melting. I'm not even sure it did melt. The bulge is pretty small and could just be like a plastic tab breaking and allowing the bottom plastic to bow a little.

I did mean to turn it off though. :)

Now how the hell do I open it?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
miloblithe said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe I'm exaggurating about the melting. I'm not even sure it did melt. The bulge is pretty small and could just be like a plastic tab breaking and allowing the bottom plastic to bow a little.

I did mean to turn it off though. :)

Now how the hell do I open it?

PB FIX IT

http://www.pbfixit.com (I think)

Get those little black plastic spounger things. I got them but am too scared to use them. Do it slow and careful and don't lose the screws. I bought a used ibook recently (cheap) that someone had tried to take apart. There weren't any screws left! And he forgot to re attach the trackpad! Very funny. But I'm telling you to do something I don't have the courage to do -- however my iBooks are still under warranty. I'd say go for it with yours. Still a spiffy little machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.