PDA

View Full Version : iBook -> Line-in Recording

lilsuprano
Nov 27, 2005, 04:54 PM
Hey guys, I've searched around quite a bit but I'm still not %100 sure...

Basically, I have a nice little DJ setup, but I want to record my mixes onto my iBook (running the latest verison of Tiger). How do I get it to connect with my mixer so it can record the output? I can hook up my iBook to my mixer with no problems using a cable that goes from the headphone port into the back of the mixer, but how would I get the mixer to SEND the audio to my iBook rather than recieve it?

Basically, what kind of cables/software do I need?

Eric

devman
Nov 27, 2005, 05:12 PM
iBooks don't have an audio line-in. You'll need to get a USB or Firewire audio box. I'm not that knowledgable about these but some of the manufacturers are M-audio, Edirol, Griffin's iMic, Motu and Tascam.

FFTT
Nov 27, 2005, 05:16 PM
You're going to need a USB or FireWire A/D interface.

M-Audio has them in all price ranges.

Most M-audio interfaces are compatible with Logic, Cubase, ProTools M-Powered.

If you're just recording final mixdown off your board then you'll be fine
with 2 analog inputs.

Another great choice is the Focusrite Saffire.

Firewire has fewer latency issues thnUSb, but you most also be careful to NEVER hot plug Firewire.

That means everthing should be off before you connect or disconnect a firewire device.

OutThere
Nov 27, 2005, 05:18 PM
Firewire stuff will get yield better results for Pro-Audio applications, but it'll cost you more. Don't worry too much about not hot-plugging firewire cables...it's not really a 'good' thing, but it's far from being that bad.

FFTT
Nov 27, 2005, 05:25 PM
You really do not want to fry your firewire port hot swapping.

Better safe than sorry.

Arcus
Nov 27, 2005, 09:18 PM
but you most also be careful to NEVER hot plug Firewire.

That means everthing should be off before you connect or disconnect a firewire device.

Huh?? I disconnect and reconnect my iPod all the time, with my computer and iPod on. I have to unmount it but not shut down. I dont think your rule applies to all firewire devices.

mjstew33
Nov 27, 2005, 09:20 PM
The iMic would do you good :)

CanadaRAM
Nov 27, 2005, 09:25 PM
Huh?? I disconnect and reconnect my iPod all the time, with my computer and iPod on. I have to unmount it but not shut down. I dont think your rule applies to all firewire devices.
It applies to anything that plugs in via a firewire 6-pin cable on the Mac end.

It's not whether the device logically is unmounted or not

It's because the Firewire connector is far too easy to insert 180 degrees reversed, or cockeyed, and momentarily create a short between the 5V power lines and a data line. This blows out the Firewire chip on the motherboard of the Mac and/or the external device -- and this is whether or not the device is bus powered or has a 4 pin connector. It take only a fraction of a second on the Mac's 6-pin connector to fry things.

FFTT
Nov 27, 2005, 09:27 PM
My comments regarding hot swapping firewire devices comes directly
from M-Audio.

I'm not sure if it's becasue of the way their units are powered by the firewire
port or what, but they state rather strongly that their F/W components should not be hot swapped.

mkrishnan
Nov 27, 2005, 09:27 PM

Yes... in fact, granted that you're supposed to eject the iPod in iTunes, it's completely normal practice to hot plug/unplug an iPod....And the iPod even draws power via FW. Can anyone clarify?

FFTT
Nov 27, 2005, 10:46 PM
CanadaRAM covered it well me thinks. ;)

stevietheb
Nov 27, 2005, 11:40 PM
Just want to give an advert for Griffin's iMic—I used it to record my entire LP collection on to my iBook. Worked like a charm, very easy to use.

Arcus
Nov 28, 2005, 06:33 AM
It applies to anything that plugs in via a firewire 6-pin cable on the Mac end.

It's not whether the device logically is unmounted or not

It's because the Firewire connector is far too easy to insert 180 degrees reversed, or cockeyed, and momentarily create a short between the 5V power lines and a data line. This blows out the Firewire chip on the motherboard of the Mac and/or the external device -- and this is whether or not the device is bus powered or has a 4 pin connector. It take only a fraction of a second on the Mac's 6-pin connector to fry things.

So are you saying that you shut down your mac before plugging in or unplugging your iPod ? (or would if you had one).

rosalindavenue
Nov 28, 2005, 07:48 AM
iBooks don't have an audio line-in.

I didn't think so; however, I was once assured by an apple store salesperson that the headphone jack in the most recent ibook is both an audio-in and audio-out. I figured he was wrong. What serves as audio-in on a powerbook?

alangyssler
Nov 28, 2005, 09:03 AM
The PowerBook has another place for a plug. As far as I know, the iBook has no onboard line in capabilities. I can't imagine that the headphone jack can work in both ways, but if it can, I am amazed.

I had the Griffin iMic, and it was okay. Had to go through several different plug converters to get down to a stereo 1/8" plug, which I think made my signal a bit weaker. Also, I had a lot of problems running an input and an output from the iMic, and rather had to monitor from the headphone jack on my computer. That sorta threw me for a loop.

I highly recommend M-Audio. I currently have the USB Quattro, which offers 4 ins and 4 outs. It's perfect for what I do (home recording, mixing, mastering, etc.). It's running through USB 2.0 ports on both my laptop and desktop, and I've never noticed a latency problem yet. It was relatively cheap, too. Probably about 200 used on eBay. I also use a pair of M-Audio SP-5b (discontinued Studiophile studio monitors), and have experienced several of their newer models. Their studio monitors are terrific for the price point. I think I spent about 250 for the pair with shipping.

If you're just looking for simple line recording, without lots of tracks, and bells and whistles, Sound Studio came on my iBook, and works really well for that. Or there are other freeware programs that function similarly (check out versiontracker.com). If you're looking for higher end stuff, Bias Peak does a really nice job, and offers a lot for cleaning up your audio. If you do need multitracking (I'm not too familiar with recording DJ stuff), Cubase is pretty easy to pick up, and does a great job, I think.

Or you could always hack your iPod dock connection (or dock for that matter), and use iPodLinux.

Just my $0.02

lilsuprano
Nov 28, 2005, 06:28 PM
wow thanks for the replies! I've decided to go for one of the M-Audio things, I'll keep you guys posted if I have any questions!

Eric