Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
As you know, I keep an eye out for Macs wherever I go (iCarly has tons of Macs). I'm following the Facebook page of Jane Badler (Diana on the old 1983 miniseries V). After V, she had a few jobs here and there but ultimately ended up moving to Australia and starting a singing career.

This morning she put up a picture of one of the studio's she is recording at showing the equipment.

Wow! Bottom left is a G5 right next to a Mac Pro! And if you look at the monitor above the keyboard you can see an honest to God actual iSight!

Attachments

• macs.jpg
    macs.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 805

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
I spent 12 years of my life in studios of various sizes... I recognize a lot of the gear in the pic..

btw, loved to see "diana" in a cameo in the second season of the newer "V" .. too bad they cancelled third season...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I spent 12 years of my life in studios of various sizes... I recognize a lot of the gear in the pic..

btw, loved to see "diana" in a cameo in the second season of the newer "V" .. too bad they cancelled third season...
Yeah, that was an unfortunate aspect of replacing the showrunner and network hesitation. Changing the showrunner changed the direction of the writing (and thus the story) and ABC's hesitation to keep airing shows, opting instead for five shows here and five there just turned people off. I think too that they kept hinting at things for too long and not delivering.

The core fans of course followed, but doing all this just confused the average viewer and they tuned out. By the time they found their footing (final episode) it was over.

I loved seeing Diana again, but I really had a problem with them killing her like that.

Tyler on the other hand had it coming and it should have been MUCH sooner! :D

Last edited:

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, that was an unfortunate aspect of replacing the showrunner and network hesitation. Changing the showrunner changed the directory of the writing (and thus the story) and ABC's hesitation to keep airing shows, opting instead for five shows here and five there just turned people off. I think too that they kept hinting at things for too long and not delivering.

The core fans of course followed, but doing all this just confused the average viewer and they tuned out. By the time they found their footing (final episode) it was over.

I loved seeing Diana again, but I really had a problem with them killing her like that.

Tyler on the other hand had it coming and it should have been MUCH sooner! :D

Yeah, they should have had the story more focused to the main plot... the many side stories had dead ends after just 1-2 episodes and I felt it made the plot hurt a bit.

And yes, Tyler had it coming! haha

btw, Morena Baraccarin or whatever her name is, was HOT HOT HOT :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Morena Baccarin is very pretty, I agree. I lean more towards Elizabeth Mitchell and Laura Vandervoort though. :D

The standout actor for me though (for his acting) above everyone else was Mark Hildreth as Joshua.

Just a totally cool character!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Thought I'd post this pretty damn ironic find here. I was watching 'We're The Millers' last night, and the first thing to grab my attention, about 30 secs into the movie was a PowerBook G4 Titanium playing a YouTube video no less.

ScreenShot2013-12-13at151620_zps742503c1.png

Now you can tell from screen #2 that there's obviously a lot of PP work going on there & that it's not the TiBook's actual display (notice the cropping of the menubar in the top right), but it just caught me off guard that a 2013 movie with a budget of nearly $40 MILLION US dollars would go out & use an old computer from 2001. Another question to ask would be where did they find a TiBook in such great condition (no paint chipping) that runs off a battery? I doubt very much that they'd get someone to pop on eBay to buy a cheap-o replacement.

ScreenShot2013-12-13at151627_zps082f2402.png

That sad thing is this was the part of the movie I laughed at the most... Which doesn't say much for it at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: lepidotós

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
Thought I'd post this pretty damn ironic find here. I was watching 'We're The Millers' last night, and the first thing to grab my attention, about 30 secs into the movie was a PowerBook G4 Titanium playing a YouTube video no less.

Now you can tell from screen #2 that there's obviously a lot of PP work going on there & that it's not the TiBook's actual display (notice the cropping of the menubar in the top right), but it just caught me off guard that a 2013 movie with a budget of nearly $40 MILLION US dollars would go out & use an old computer from 2001. Another question to ask would be where did they find a TiBook in such great condition (no paint chipping) that runs off a battery? I doubt very much that they'd get someone to pop on eBay to buy a cheap-o replacement.

That sad thing is this was the part of the movie I laughed at the most... Which doesn't say much for it at all.

I don't know, it look very real lol I mean he has dropbox and the finder bar without transparency... Either is not the actual display and did a very good effort or is the actual display? :O

Either a Powerbook!!!!! AWESOME!!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't think that's the Tibook's actual display. It has the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar. Tibooks never had Bluetooth. I think it may just be a prop machine that the studio has around. It may work or may have once worked.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
II think it may just be a prop machine that the studio has around. It may work or may have once worked.
^^This is most likely.

A studio will get props that either work or don't, but everything digital is added in post production so it doesn't matter. The prop is on screen for maybe a few seconds or a scene or two and then gets put away. If a prop doesn't actually work there's really no reason to mess with it so it's unlikely to be messed up. And props get recycled.

This is what happened in the early days of moviemaking. Studios bought all these works of art for a movie. Paintings, sculptures, antiques, etc. And they all got moved around in various movies. Until the wives of the studio execs discovered that the prop department literally had millions of dollars of priceless art and antiques sitting around on shelves between movies. A lot of studio executives found their homes redecorated with movie "props" at that point. :D

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
As you know, I keep an eye out for Macs wherever I go (iCarly has tons of Macs). I'm following the Facebook page of Jane Badler (Diana on the old 1983 miniseries V). After V, she had a few jobs here and there but ultimately ended up moving to Australia and starting a singing career.

This morning she put up a picture of one of the studio's she is recording at showing the equipment.

Wow! Bottom left is a G5 right next to a Mac Pro! And if you look at the monitor above the keyboard you can see an honest to God actual iSight!

What about iSight? i have one in my dads room.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Despite the fact that Apple made many of them and sold many of them, the iSight was not on the market for very long before the first Macs with an iSight camera built in started showing up.

Once people realized that they could have the camera built in instead of as a separate device that had to be carried and plugged in (at least with laptops) the product lifespan of the external iSight was shortened.

Additionally, if you bought a new Mac with a built in iSight but you already had an external iSight, what did you do with the external iSight?

People started dumping these on eBay.

So. With the above being true and with Macs having a built in iSight being the common type of Mac in these present times, seeing someone who actually has an external iSight hooked up is rare. You just do not see that much any more. Even among PowerPC users, because most of them bought third party USB cams at the time when Apple wanted $200-300 for an external iSight.

Seeing an external iSight hooked up is rare. That's all my point there was.

Reactions: ak-78

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
This is kind of off topic on the Mac's but though of it when reading about props. I remember seeing meme's of Ed O'Neill in Married With Children and then in a fairly recent episode of Modern Family (recent as in not 20 years ago she MWC was shot) reading the same newspaper.

EdONeillhasBeenReadingTheSameNewspaperfor20YearsMarriedWithChildrenModernFamilyNewspapermeme_zps613fab38.jpg

So these props obviously get passed around and used a lot. And they don't bother updating them because out of all the people that would see that movie I bet 4 people noticed it was a PowerBook.

Victor

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
This is kind of off topic on the Mac's but though of it when reading about props. I remember seeing meme's of Ed O'Neill in Married With Children and then in a fairly recent episode of Modern Family (recent as in not 20 years ago she MWC was shot) reading the same newspaper.

So these props obviously get passed around and used a lot. And they don't bother updating them because out of all the people that would see that movie I bet 4 people noticed it was a PowerBook.

Victor
LOL, that's HILARIOUS!!!!! :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Resurrecting this thread because I saw this video this morning. Morning news was discussing the original WWW code being offered as an NFT. This was one segment of video where people were typing while the newscasters were talking.

Thought it interesting that they'd be using footage of a TiBook in 2021!

2021-06-16 06.58.57-1.jpg

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Currently enjoying late-night reruns of Smallville (please, no spoilers!) and I've noticed that Macs quite appear quite frequently. Presumably there was a placement deal between the producers and Apple. These screen-grabs are from episode 2x15 Prodigal where what appears to be an iBook G4 is used to rig a card game via a signal from a hidden camera.

qawszQV.png

ZymV74n.png

IURxcYN.png

Anyone recognise the video software?

hZyTdzo.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.