PDA

View Full Version : My personal, random thoughts on iOS7

sdilley14
Sep 19, 2013, 10:07 AM
Things I like about iOS 7:

- The animations are subtle but pleasing
- New lock screen looks clean and nicely refreshed
- Same with the charging screen - looks clean and elegant
- New fonts look great (for the most part)
- New tones sound nice
- Control Center is a nice new touch (though I don't see myself personally using it too often)
- I like (most) of the frosted glass effects
- Parallax is a cool touch
- I like the majority of the new icons
- App switching/killing is vastly improved IMO
- I enjoy the new kaypad on the phone app, along with the little circular pictures of each contact under "Favorites"
- I like all of the changes/upgrades to Safari
- Nice additions to the camera app
- AirDrop seems cool, though I don't know how much I'll ever use it
- iTunes Radio looks really promising

Things I don't like about iOS7:

- At times the fonts seem too skinny/small, making them more difficult to read than they need to be (carrier logo and time at the top of the screen for example)

- As many have said, there is a bit too much white. I enjoy the white application for the most part, but there are certain screens where it becomes a bit overwhelming. I could go for some added thin lines/borders/seperaters sprinkled throughout to break up the white a bit

- Lack of borders or "buttons" in many areas. For example, when you pull up the Messages app, in the top left corner where it says "Edit", I would prefer there to be some sort of thin outline or something around the word to indicate that it is a button. That might not be the best example, but it is the first that comes to mind and examples like that are all throughout the OS.

- Still some slight app fragmentation...the Podcast app is still designed for iO6, while Music and other apps have gotten updates to go along with the iOS7 aesthetics. I'm sure this will be corrected soon.

- Going along with the last point, many 3rd party apps still have interfaces that match iOS6 better than iOS7. Particularly the app icons are bothersome. Mixing and matching iOS6 and iOS7 icons on a single "desktop" isn't too visually appealing. Obviously Apple has no control over that and it will be fixed over time.

- It would be nice to be able to turn the animations on/off. I could see how the zoom in/zoom out animation when you open/close apps could be unappealing to some.

- For me personally the Parallax effect feels a touch jittery unrefined.

Overall I think this is a great upgrade, but it feels a sliiiiight bit "beta" yet. It feels about 95% done. There are still a few rough edges and kinks that need to be worked out (which I'm sure will happen soone enough).

It honestly does not feel like a huge departure from iOS6. A few UI things are different and added functionality here and there, but for the most part it still looks and runs like iOS6. I think seeing all of the previews and checking out numerous screenshots for months leading up to the release made me feel like it was an upgrade I already had before I actually had it.