PDA

View Full Version : Strange usage stats in iOS 7

gentlefury
Sep 19, 2013, 10:08 AM
So I wanted to see how much space I have left on my iPhone 5 after installing iOS 7 (after a clean restore) and it showed I have WAY less than I was expecting!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-VzV0zlqJezk/UjsS2l8We5I/AAAAAAAAFSw/DStMIJfPbbg/w760-h1348-no/usage.PNG

I plugged it in to my MacBook to figure out what is using so much and I get this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-H64-jksNJ48/UjsS3Zd-HdI/AAAAAAAAFS4/JpYpy5nq67A/w2224-h132-no/Screen+Shot+2013-09-19+at+8.05.15+AM.png

HUH??? That number makes a lot more sense, but my device is somehow confused into thinking it's almost full. Any ideas?

northcountryboy
Sep 19, 2013, 10:38 AM
I'm getting something similar. Usage is saying I've used 39.5GB with 17.6GB available. This sounds about right. But it is saying music is only 8.1GB and I know it is closer to 30GB.

KeanosMagicHat
Sep 19, 2013, 10:41 AM
. . . . But it is saying music is only 8.1GB and I know it is closer to 30GB.

Did you check the number of tracks to ensure it's recognising all of your music on the device?

I was suddenly missing 518 tracks on first sync between iOS 7 and iTunes 11.1 which had been there since I added them shortly after purchasing the phone.

It then re-applied these on second sync.

gentlefury
Sep 19, 2013, 12:08 PM
Well, I'm missing about 13GB of useable space. I'm considering getting a 16GB model next. I don't really see need for such large storage since everything is online now.

northcountryboy
Sep 19, 2013, 12:39 PM
Did you check the number of tracks to ensure it's recognising all of your music on the device?

I was suddenly missing 518 tracks on first sync between iOS 7 and iTunes 11.1 which had been there since I added them shortly after purchasing the phone.

It then re-applied these on second sync.

I didn't sync with itunes. I updated to ios7 straight off the phone. Track no. is 3859 which sounds about right but I'll check it against my ipod which sits in the car.

gentlefury
Sep 19, 2013, 12:52 PM
OK, firstly, thanks for completely sidetracking my question. Secondly I figured out the issue. I had phantom TV episodes in my video app. Basically in the old version of iOS it would CONSTANTLY try to download tv episodes I bought on my Apple TV....you couldn't delete those downloads from the manager, so even tho I paused them they would stay there paused forever. Now that you can stream iCloud video purchases they don't do that anymore. But, even tho the videos were not on the device...the videos app thought they were. So iTunes was registering actual used space while the phone was registering what the video app was saying was used.

Weird...but it's not unexpected going from one OS to the next with residual data.