PDA

View Full Version : Your iOS 7 text too thin?

sundog925
Sep 19, 2013, 11:36 AM
Well here's the solution!

Settings>general>accessibility "bold text" -on!

Makes the entire OS easier on the eyes IMO.
posted just for those that didn't know! I saw there were a few of you in the other MR tips thread talking about it. Attached is a photo of the bold text look. A restart is required.

applesith
Sep 19, 2013, 11:38 AM
Giving this a try. WOW it reboots so much faster than iOS 6.

EDIT: Bold text is active and looks way better! Thanks for the tip!

bbfc
Sep 19, 2013, 11:43 AM
Well here's the solution!

Settings>general>accessibility "bold text" -on!

Makes the entire OS easier on the eyes IMO.
posted just for those that didn't know! I saw there were a few of you in the other MR tips thread talking about it. Attached is a photo of the bold text look. A restart is required.

I like the bolder text.

faxao
Sep 19, 2013, 11:44 AM
It works very well....thanks very much !

Lucille Carter
Sep 19, 2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks, BOLD text looks way better to me!

sundog925
Sep 19, 2013, 11:26 PM
You guys are welcome! Just trying to share the knowledge.

DomC
Sep 19, 2013, 11:43 PM
I wish it would make the keyboards a little bolder.

johto
Sep 19, 2013, 11:52 PM
I also like the bold text also better.

sundog925
Sep 20, 2013, 02:27 AM
I also like the bold text also better.

Oh, for sure! Much less eye strain.

lamerica80
Sep 20, 2013, 02:51 AM
Wow - that was a fast re-boot!

THANK YOU ts for bringing this to our attention, i was annoyed with the thin text!

Edit: I see it applies not only to the text under the icons but all text, mail, calendar, etc. Much easier to read now.

gr8tfly
Sep 20, 2013, 02:55 AM
Bold is much easier - especially for white on light colors or gray on white.

dictoresno
Sep 20, 2013, 03:11 AM
it was a fast "reboot" because it was only a respring, not a true reboot.

sundog925
Sep 20, 2013, 03:25 AM
Wow - that was a fast re-boot!

THANK YOU ts for bringing this to our attention, i was annoyed with the thin text!

Edit: I see it applies not only to the text under the icons but all text, mail, calendar, etc. Much easier to read now.

Its nice thats its pretty much system wide bolding. should of been default like this lol.

LincolnsiPod
Sep 20, 2013, 03:26 PM
Funny thing, I immediately set it to bold as well, but switched it back because the thin presents a cleaner look. Instead I upped the font size to a larger type, with the default apps it read much easier now without the need for bold.

The keyboard though... EPIC FAIL

sundog925
Sep 20, 2013, 07:58 PM
Funny thing, I immediately set it to bold as well, but switched it back because the thin presents a cleaner look. Instead I upped the font size to a larger type, with the default apps it read much easier now without the need for bold.

I can see that. I just liked the eye strain less though. And on lighter backgrounds, it was almost unreadable.

dagdagdag234
Sep 20, 2013, 08:02 PM
I agree, "elegant" is nice but the thinness was pushing it a bit. Much easier to read now.

Did anyone else also switch on "high contrast" next to bold font?

I did but not sure I noticed a difference.

fmalloy
Sep 20, 2013, 08:09 PM
Bold definitely helped me, but it's still not enough for me though...

And, it doesn't seem to impact the status bar text...

MacLeg
Sep 20, 2013, 08:11 PM
that is one heckuva good tip, fee shure

dmrowley
Sep 20, 2013, 08:15 PM
Yep, much better now...

marksman
Sep 20, 2013, 08:17 PM
Yeah I changed this and makes a huge difference

Tom G.
Sep 20, 2013, 08:41 PM
I had been planning on doing this but kept forgetting about it. I saw your post and having my iPhone with me did it right away. I like it this way a lot better.

Thank you for reminding me to do it.

mashinhead
Sep 20, 2013, 09:45 PM
Its nice thats its pretty much system wide bolding. should of been default like this lol.

It was. They 'innovated' and changed it.

sundog925
Sep 21, 2013, 12:06 AM
I feel like the keyboard could go a bit bolder, but the function keys, caps lock, delete return etc, could stay. add some nice dimension.

LincolnsiPod
Sep 21, 2013, 12:10 AM
For anyone using the "Increase Contrast" switch it off, then swipe up the control center. Then switch it back on, and swipe up the control center again.

Notice the difference? Increasing the contrast disables the frost effect, which actually made the text HARDER to read, at least where the notification and control center were concerned. I haven't been able to discern a notable difference anywhere else, so I switched the increased contrast back off.

sundog925
Sep 21, 2013, 12:36 AM
For anyone using the "Increase Contrast" switch it off, then swipe up the control center. Then switch it back on, and swipe up the control center again.

Notice the difference? Increasing the contrast disables the frost effect, which actually made the text HARDER to read, at least where the notification and control center were concerned. I haven't been able to discern a notable difference anywhere else, so I switched the increased contrast back off.

yeah i noticed that too. its not as a harsh change like color inversion.

panzer06
Sep 21, 2013, 12:50 AM
Did this as soon as I upgraded the iPad mini. Been suggesting it since day one. Not a fan of iOS 7 in general but really not a fan of the anorexic text.

BOLD FTW.

Cheers,

sundog925
Sep 21, 2013, 01:54 PM
Did this as soon as I upgraded the iPad mini. Been suggesting it since day one. Not a fan of iOS 7 in general but really not a fan of the anorexic text.

BOLD FTW.

Cheers,

I think even on a smaller screen like the iPhone 4, the thin text would be harsh.

jayes
Sep 21, 2013, 02:03 PM
Great tip! Just what these tired eyes needed!

DaBrain
Sep 21, 2013, 03:38 PM
Thank You very much to the OP! Just what my sorry eyes were looking for! Thanks again!:)

MrGimper
Sep 21, 2013, 03:57 PM

BOLD FTW.

Cheers,

Did this on the mini when I had the betas. Makes the home screen icon text much nicer. The thin text made the mini screen look worse than it actually is.

panzer06
Sep 21, 2013, 04:21 PM
Did this on the mini when I had the betas. Makes the home screen icon text much nicer. The thin text made the mini screen look worse than it actually is.

That's so true. No Retina display is bad enough. The thin text made it look even more fuzzy.

Cheers,

chriscl
Sep 21, 2013, 04:22 PM
This is a great tip, and one that makes my iPhone 5 screen so much more readable under iOS7.

WhatAmI
Sep 21, 2013, 04:52 PM
Great tip, and not to be different from everyone else - WHOOA that reboot was fast!!:)

DirtySocks85
Sep 21, 2013, 04:54 PM
I turned it on, and then turned it off again. I personally prefer the thin fonts. I rarely read the text under the icons anyway, and I don't seem to have any trouble reading it under the default settings.

sundog925
Sep 22, 2013, 03:44 AM
I turned it on, and then turned it off again. I personally prefer the thin fonts. I rarely read the text under the icons anyway, and I don't seem to have any trouble reading it under the default settings.

I found it doubly worse when my background was lighter. u must have a dark background or excellent retinas haha.

smoking monkey
Sep 22, 2013, 04:16 AM

Huh, I did the same thing. I actually turned contrast off because it seems to turn off the translucent layering effect which is the best part of the new OS.

If Apple can fix the overly white screens in some apps along with a darker background for the keyboard (and of course fix all the small bugs) then I think they have a big winner. I wasn't digging it in the first 24 hours, but It's really growing on me.

DirtySocks85
Sep 22, 2013, 08:30 PM
I found it doubly worse when my background was lighter. u must have a dark background or excellent retinas haha.

I'm going to go with both. :)

sundog925
Sep 24, 2013, 03:39 AM
I'm going to go with both. :)

I meant lighter than that, like white.