PDA

View Full Version : New UI, Could It Be Any Worse?

Umbrarian
Sep 19, 2013, 11:39 AM
New User Interface is like using VisiCalc on a vt100 before graphics were invented.

No more buttons, texture, depth, color, gradients, etc. I do not want what is essentially a text mode UI.

For example, calc app no longer has distinct buttons, but lines between numbers. Looks like an interface designed in 1978 on pdp-11.

i just got a VM. It is a giant screen of white. No longer do they use color, boxes, etc to mark areas of the screen.

I cannot find a single thing about the new UI I like. I cannot believe anyone thinks this UI is better.

bbfc
Sep 19, 2013, 11:40 AM
New User Interface is like using VisiCalc on a vt100 before graphics were invented.

No more buttons, texture, depth, color, gradients, etc. I do not want what is essentially a text mode UI.

For example, calc app no longer has distinct buttons, but lines between numbers. Looks like an interface designed in 1978 on pdp-11.

i just got a VM. It is a giant screen of white. No longer do they use color, boxes, etc to mark areas of the screen.

I cannot find a single thing about the new UI I like. I cannot believe anyone thinks this UI is better.

Well me, and quite a few others do like it.

It's all subjective.

Grohowiak
Sep 19, 2013, 11:41 AM

Some people like everything about a certain logo. Does not matter if it's good or crap.

darngooddesign
Sep 19, 2013, 11:42 AM
Some people like everything about a certain logo. Does not matter if it's good or crap.

Some people like everything about fake wood paneling.

Taste is subjective.

Rizzn
Sep 19, 2013, 11:44 AM

Completely agree. There is no way to focus on the elements of the UI that should be emphasized. I'm seriously wondering how they're managing all their engineering resources and end up with this kind of product.

applesith
Sep 19, 2013, 11:46 AM
Why would you upgrade then? Just to complain about it?

mcdj
Sep 19, 2013, 12:18 PM
About the only definitive statement that can be made about iOS7 is that it's polarizing.

I see this as a problem for Apple. Prior to iOS7, iOS was, across the board, more or less liked, even loved. There were some opinions that the design was getting a bit stale, but it was never really the source of large scale vehement hatred. That's largely due to the incremental design tweaks it saw over the years...the changes were not radical, but they were changes nonetheless.

In fact, iOS before 7 was the epitome of great design. Great design is design you barely notice. It stays out of your way. iOS7 requires considerable thought in many places. It requires squinting. It requires forgetting old habits from prior versions and relearning.

iOS7 feels completely off message. Some love the new message, some hate it, but it's an undeniably new animal, and as with anything radically new, there will be haters. Some haters will get used to the new beast, but some may very well may drop iOS and Apple altogether, since many people's entire relationship with Apple is based solely on iDevices.

Had Apple stayed the course and merely continued streamlining and tweaking things instead of rocking the boat so hard, they may not have lost as many followers. They definitely would not have lost iOS7 haters if the changes were not so radical. But they did rock, hard, and people will be vocal about why they left, and those vocalizations will spread. IOS7 haters that formerly recommended iDevices to friends and family and coworkers will rescind those recommendations, and stop making new ones.

And the very qualities that made iDevices so immensely popular....simplicity and intuitive ease of use, have been compromised. This means older people and small kids won't get it immediately. That means less impulse purchases in stores for newcomers.

Where iOS inspired near universal love before 7, iOS7 elicits "cool". It is cool in many ways. But it's a detached cool, bordering on cold and lifeless. For some, this is a minty fresh breath of air. For others, it's alienating and will mean a migration away from iOS.

Archer1440
Sep 19, 2013, 12:24 PM
So fresh it feels like a whole new device. Haven't upgraded my iPad yet and it looks almost quaint now.

Umbrarian
Sep 19, 2013, 12:25 PM

1) Didn't know.
2) While I do not like the UI, the underlying OS features are good.
3) Complaining about will reveal if I stand alone, or if I am the norm. If I am the Norm, it gives Apple Feedback to fix it.

Altis
Sep 19, 2013, 12:28 PM

A lot of people don't follow MR and will upgrade because they always do when iTunes tells them to. Then, they're stuck.

OP has a good point about lacking all the distinguishing elements. My parents were going to get iPhones for the first time, and this won't be easy for them to pick up like the previous versions would have been.

At least some options would be nice, and easy to implement.

Macalway
Sep 19, 2013, 12:35 PM
It's fine, but there are serious problems

It's not a matter of opinion that the notes app is terrible now, do to it's being really lame.

Calendars is so bad you would rather miss dates then look at it

Just the facts.

But whatever, it's doable as Apple IS Going to fix it once we threaten them

dannyyankou
Sep 19, 2013, 12:38 PM
It could be much worse (i.e. iOS 6)

MattMJB0188
Sep 19, 2013, 12:40 PM

You are WRONG! iOS 1-6 was visually appealing and looked quite good. 7 just looks like a toddler designed it. PERIOD.

Umbrarian
Sep 19, 2013, 12:42 PM
there are serious problems

It's not a matter of opinion that the notes app is terrible now, do to it's being really lame.

Just the facts.

Yes, while I only mentioned CalcApp, these two are awful to use also.

I do notice Apps are not identical on iPhone and iPad. CalApp is not as bad on iPad as it is on iPhone.

Umbrarian
Sep 19, 2013, 12:42 PM
IOS7/UI = New Coke

applesith
Sep 19, 2013, 12:43 PM
1) Didn't know.
3) Complaining about will reveal if I stand alone, or if I am the norm. If I am the Norm, it gives Apple Feedback to fix it.

1) iOS7 was shown off months ago and all of the UI changes were clear. I see you joined MR a year ago, so are at least familiar with following Apple news.

2) Ok

3) Apple doesn't care about what you say on MR. They are not going to drastically overhaul in iOS 8, as that would show they made a mistake. They don't admit mistakes. There are plenty of existing threads discussing the hate or praise for the UI.

I just don't understand why there is thread after thread of people being surprised by the aesthetic changes and then complaining about it.

zbarvian
Sep 19, 2013, 12:43 PM
About the only definitive statement that can be made about iOS7 is that it's polarizing.

I see this as a problem for Apple. Prior to iOS7, iOS was, across the board, more or less liked, even loved. There were some opinions that the design was getting a bit stale, but it was never really the source of large scale vehement hatred. That's largely due to the incremental design tweaks it saw over the years...the changes were not radical, but they were changes nonetheless.

In fact, iOS before 7 was the epitome of great design. Great design is design you barely notice. It stays out of your way. iOS7 requires considerable thought in many places. It requires squinting. It requires forgetting old habits from prior versions and relearning.

iOS7 feels completely off message. Some love the new message, some hate it, but it's an undeniably new animal, and as with anything radically new, there will be haters. Some haters will get used to the new beast, but some may very well may drop iOS and Apple altogether, since many people's entire relationship with Apple is based solely on iDevices.

Had Apple stayed the course and merely continued streamlining and tweaking things instead of rocking the boat so hard, they may not have lost as many followers. They definitely would not have lost iOS7 haters if the changes were not so radical. But they did rock, hard, and people will be vocal about why they left, and those vocalizations will spread. IOS7 haters that formerly recommended iDevices to friends and family and coworkers will rescind those recommendations, and stop making new ones.

And the very qualities that made iDevices so immensely popular....simplicity and intuitive ease of use, have been compromised. This means older people and small kids won't get it immediately. That means less impulse purchases in stores for newcomers.

Where iOS inspired near universal love before 7, iOS7 elicits "cool". It is cool in many ways. But it's a detached cool, bordering on cold and lifeless. For some, this is a minty fresh breath of air. For others, it's alienating and will mean a migration away from iOS.

Winner.

Polarization is a step backwards compared to iOS 6, which wasn't polarizing at all.

Will2145
Sep 19, 2013, 12:44 PM
You are WRONG! iOS 1-6 was visually appealing and looked quite good. 7 just looks like a toddler designed it. PERIOD.

No.

Kendo
Sep 19, 2013, 12:44 PM

This says it all.

nefan65
Sep 19, 2013, 12:45 PM

Nice how someone's opinion is fact for everyone else. Thank God for generalizations.

"People who buy Ford's are stupid, PERIOD!"

See how ridiculous that sounds? Oh, wait...never mind.

dannyyankou

It's all opinion, no one's wrong about anything. I just think the new user interface looks cleaner and easier to use than the old one. But if you hate ios 7 so much, apple is still signing iOS 6 and you can downgrade.

MadSkillzPhan
go get an android. done.

DollaTwentyFive
Sep 19, 2013, 12:46 PM
It could be worse. It could be android.

CausticPuppy
Sep 19, 2013, 12:48 PM
Prior to iOS7, iOS was, across the board, more or less liked, even loved. There were some opinions that the design was getting a bit stale, but it was never really the source of large scale vehement hatred.

The hell it wasn't! I guess you don't remember all the iOS hate threads when they first came out with multitasking... and game center.... and folders (people didnt' get exactly what they wanted, so hate hate hate).

----------

Hello there, Mr. Forstall!

gentlefury
Sep 19, 2013, 12:48 PM

I was a pretty big fan of Windows OS since they went with more of a unique and basic approach. I think iOS7 does it even better.

YeahBuddy
Sep 19, 2013, 12:50 PM

http://cdn.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Calculator.png

I find the image on the left, ugly. The image on the right a lot easier on the eyes. However, anyone picking up either of these applications will know how it works.

GoodtobetheKing
Sep 19, 2013, 12:51 PM

^This. I couldn't have put it better myself. Bravo, sir.

panzer06
Sep 19, 2013, 12:53 PM
Not sure I feel it's that bad. The cartoony look and over emphasis on white along with very slim characters makes it much harder to read text, especially in mail, notes and calendar. If it wasn't for the BOLD option in accessibility settings it would be nigh unusable.

However, what I don't understand is why they felt the need to make such drastic UI changes at all. The great underlying features could have been added without such drastic UI changes.

It's like there was this underground movement within Apple that was just waiting for Job's boot to get lifted off of their throats and now they've run amuck. If they're allowing this group free reign, why not unleash the group that wants to offer more options and wider product sets to the market. Bigger phones displays, simple upgradable laptops and iMacs, all while retaining the Apple signature style and design. Choice is not profane and with a bit of hard work and creative energy it can look beautiful too.

I'll be very interested to see what the adoption rate looks like in 6 months.

Just sayin'

Umbrarian
Sep 19, 2013, 12:55 PM
I just don't understand why there is thread after thread of people being surprised by the aesthetic changes and then complaining about it.

Because it is bad and we express our opinions.

Few of us spend our lives trying to find out what a UI for a phone will be months in advance of it's release. Shocking I know.

darngooddesign
Sep 19, 2013, 12:55 PM

A balanced statement, but you forget that iOS will also gain new users because it doesn't look like an OS designed for older people.

gentlefury
Sep 19, 2013, 01:00 PM

I have to disagree 100%. The one thing I hated about iOS was how dated and stale it both looked and operated. I personally love iOS 7. The design is great and modern. The new usability features were extremely needed. I think, had Apple not decided to take such a dramatic turn they would have actually lost more people to the stale and outdated approach to the people that fear and hate change. Don't worry, in a couple years when they change it again, you will be making the same argument in favor of this current design..that is how it has always been and always will be.

One of Apple's strengths is in opposing common thought and doing what they feel is right...since they are usually correct. Computers being their longest running platform that they have demonstrated this on. They removed the Floppy drive and people FLIPPED, saying, how can you use a computer without a floppy drive!?!?!?! See any computers with floppies? They removed the optical drive and people went nuts, saying they need their optical drive. Everything is media free now. Again, they knew it was a piece of hardware that was holding them back and keeping them from creating the slim line laptops they really wanted to create....so deal with the temporary blowback for the long term advancement. People lost it when they stopped supporting G5s in favor of Intel...better systems resulted. When rosetta was killed people claimed they were done with apple for good...what was the result? Old developers that refused to upgrade were forced to, or die. Progress at the expense of nay-sayers. Good for them.

Here's hoping they continue to innovate and not listen to everyone that wants things to never change and still use Windows XP because they are still supported!

matttye
Sep 19, 2013, 01:00 PM
I love it.

To each their own, I guess.

paradox11
Sep 19, 2013, 01:06 PM
Because it is bad and we express our opinions.

Few of us spend our lives trying to find out what a UI for a phone will be months in advance of it's release. Shocking I know.

And yet here you are, on Mac Rumors, complaining about very much a first world problem.

Do you people not remember any of the previous launches? iOS 6 was much more hated than this one is. In fact, I didn't upgrade for quite a while because I didn't want to lose google maps.

I jumped at the opportunity to get iOS 7, and, honestly, it's their best functioning and best designed iOS so far. iOS 6 looks ancient in comparison.

Macalway
Sep 19, 2013, 01:07 PM

My God you write well. Makes me feel like a schmuck

Wait, I AM a schmuck ;)

wolsoncpa
Sep 19, 2013, 01:07 PM
Gosh, it's so awesome to have another one of these threads! I know, I know, it takes effort to find one the 3.4 million other "I hate the UI" threads so why bother, just create a new one.

borostef
Sep 19, 2013, 01:08 PM
go get an android. done.

That would have been a good argument against someone complaining about iOS 6 or earlier... But after yesterday, anyone complaining about iOS 7 will not be helped by buying an Android phone... They already own one...

MonstaMash
Sep 19, 2013, 01:12 PM
Could it be any worse? Yeah, it could have looked like this: :D:D

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/skeuomorphism.jpg

jmimac351
Sep 19, 2013, 01:17 PM

I bought an iphone a few weeks ago - my first. Was an Android user. I completely agree with you. What I was liking about the iPhone was made cold and stark. I just "downgraded" from iOS 7 back to 6.1.4 and I will be staying put.

Umbrarian
Sep 19, 2013, 01:20 PM

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/05/skeuomorphism.jpg)

Yes, because being blinded by a white screen is so much better. Hey at least Notes now doubles as a Flashlight App!

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Computers/photo1_zpsbd9835cf.png (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Computers/photo1_zpsbd9835cf.png.html)[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Look!

Another flashlight App!!

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Computers/photo1_zps5b96bb16.png (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Computers/photo1_zps5b96bb16.png.html)

And here is another! Wow this is so creative!!

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Computers/photo1_zpsc9e585bb.png (http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Computers/photo1_zpsc9e585bb.png.html)

nefan65
Sep 19, 2013, 01:22 PM

I know. It's comical when you read posts about how childish the iOS 7 icons look, etc. but green felt, shining buttons, and torn paper are professional...?

There are some legitimate posts about some folks experiences; battery, lag on older devices, etc. But most of the posts are personal, opinionated rants. The same thing happened with iOS 5 & 6. I recall that the Maps debacle of 2011 was the end for Apple. Yet here we are in 2013, the earth is still rotating, and Apple is still in business.

Macalway
Sep 19, 2013, 01:26 PM
I give up. I can't fight progress.

Well I guess its inevitable. Time for the home. The things I love now have outgrown me and I'm left with bad eyesight and my walker.

At least I have a new flashlight :)

iCarabma
Sep 19, 2013, 01:29 PM

Well put.

I also think you are completely wrong. You are engaging in a bit of revisionist history. First off the idea that the old iOS was universally loved. Go back and read some of the commentary from '07. Was notepad with comic sans font universally loved? Gamecenter? Ask in jailbreak forums if the design was universally loved.

The iPhone was (more or less) universally loved. And the iOS came along for the ride. People are still going to like their iPhones. And they get used to the parts of the OS that they don't like. And then in another 5-7 years when it changes again they will post how terrible iOS 12 is.

The entire iOS up to this point was geared towards teaching people how use a touchscreen. Now people don't need a picture of a button to know that there is an actionable item there.

And for the record my daughter ,who is 4, loves playing with my iPad. She always notices when I put a new app in her folder, but didn't say a word about the new OS. Just unlocked it and sat down to play.

The thing is though we don't all have to argue about it. Time will tell.

Rizzn
Sep 19, 2013, 01:31 PM

I went back to iOS 6.

panzer06
Sep 19, 2013, 01:33 PM
That would have been a good argument against someone complaining about iOS 6 or earlier... But after yesterday, anyone complaining about iOS 7 will not be helped by buying an Android phone... They already own one...

Nice. Not quite true. iOS is still easier to learn for most folks (I have a HTC One) but the flat look of iOS 7 is closer to Android than what I felt was the more stylish Apple devices. Still I liked the sentiment. :)

I have to disagree 100%. The one thing I hated about iOS was how dated and stale it both looked and operated. I personally love iOS 7. The design is great and modern. The new usability features were extremely needed. I think, had Apple not decided to take such a dramatic turn they would have actually lost more people to the stale and outdated approach to the people that fear and hate change. Don't worry, in a couple years when they change it again, you will be making the same argument in favor of this current design..that is how it has always been and always will be.

One of Apple's strengths is in opposing common thought and doing what they feel is right...since they are usually correct. Computers being their longest running platform that they have demonstrated this on. They removed the Floppy drive and people FLIPPED, saying, how can you use a computer without a floppy drive!?!?!?! See any computers with floppies? They removed the optical drive and people went nuts, saying they need their optical drive. Everything is media free now. Again, they knew it was a piece of hardware that was holding them back and keeping them from creating the slim line laptops they really wanted to create....so deal with the temporary blowback for the long term advancement. People lost it when they stopped supporting G5s in favor of Intel...better systems resulted. When rosetta was killed people claimed they were done with apple for good...what was the result? Old developers that refused to upgrade were forced to, or die. Progress at the expense of nay-sayers. Good for them.

Here's hoping they continue to innovate and not listen to everyone that wants things to never change and still use Windows XP because they are still supported!

Not sure you can lump in the luddites who won't change unless they absolutely have to with people who have expensive Apple devices and tend to try the latest tech. The look and feel of iOS 7 feels cheap and childish to many people; of course many of those users might not ever want modern stark furniture or artwork in their homes either. I don't think anyone is saying the underpinnings of iOS 7 are bad so you can stop trying to compare rosetta, hardware choices and Windows versions (unless you want to talk about Windows 7 to Windows 8).

The fact is many, many people dislike this iteration of iOS. You may be correct in that it will be successful, (most likely because eventually no one will have a choice to stay on 6) but that doesn't mean those who dislike this direction shouldn't express their dissatisfaction.

Gosh, it's so awesome to have another one of these threads! I know, I know, it takes effort to find one the 3.4 million other "I hate the UI" threads so why bother, just create a new one.

As fast as this conversation is moving and with threads scrolling off the main screen many people aren't going to search for "other threads with similar sentiment" when they can just create a new one. I chuckle every time I see a comment like this. Just take a look at the sticky. Who's reading anything more than the last few pages of that beast. :)

Cheers,

Macalway
Sep 19, 2013, 01:34 PM
Well put.

I also think you are completely wrong. You are engaging in a bit of revisionist history. First off the idea that the old iOS was universally loved. Go back and read some of the commentary from '07. Was notepad with comic sans font universally loved? Gamecenter? Ask in jailbreak forums if the design was universally loved.

The iPhone was (more or less) universally loved. And the iOS came along for the ride. People are still going to like their iPhones. And they get used to the parts of the OS that they don't like. And then in another 5-7 years when it changes again they will post how terrible iOS 12 is.

The entire iOS up to this point was geared towards teaching people how use a touchscreen. Now people don't need a picture of a button to know that there is an actionable item there.

And for the record my daughter ,who is 4, loves playing with my iPad. She always notices when I put a new app in her folder, but didn't say a word about the new OS. Just unlocked it and sat down to play.

The thing is though we don't all have to argue about it. Time will tell.

True, it's a time will tell thing, as always

Fun to fight though eh? :D

portishead
Sep 19, 2013, 01:37 PM

You're wrong. It's a solid iOS (well some bugs that will get worked out over time). Only a few people are complaining about the bright colors. Once you actually use the phone for a few days, you won't even notice the colors. But that's cool... I'll sit in amusement as these posts slowly die over the next few days.

gentlefury
Sep 19, 2013, 01:39 PM
You're wrong. It's a solid iOS (well some bugs that will get worked out over time). Only a few people are complaining about the bright colors. Once you actually use the phone for a few days, you won't even notice the colors. But that's cool... I'll sit in amusement as these posts slowly die over the next few days.

Actually that is the one thing he got 100% correct. Opinions seem to be love it or hate it. That is the definition of polarizing....LOL

westcoastin
Sep 19, 2013, 01:41 PM
Well, this just goes to show that you can't please everyone.

Macalway
Sep 19, 2013, 01:42 PM

I'm not so sure. It reminds me a little of Windows 8 and that start Button blunder. They really screwed the pooch with that one, and years later have..

Changed it back ( oh yes, that's right, it's now an 'option' :D )

alakazzam
I admit there are some design choices that I don't like, but for the most part I really enjoy the simplicity of the design. I've always been a fan of simple design and I'm so happy to see that it's starting to become more main stream.

Why does making a button look like a button make it better? It's still a flat piece of glass that you're pushing on.

stubeeef
iOS 8 out Tuesday?

portishead
Actually that is the one thing he got 100% correct. Opinions seem to be love it or hate it. That is the definition of polarizing....LOL

Because 5% of users are in here complaining, and 75% of them are probably android trolls, that doesn't make it polarizing. Yes, I made those stats up.

mcdj
Sep 19, 2013, 01:43 PM
The iPhone was (more or less) universally loved. And the iOS came along for the ride.

I have to disagree here. Without an OS, the iPhone is a slab of glass and metal, more or less identical to many other phones. It's what happens when the glass lights up that has, and will, inspire love, or hate.

If all the first iPhone did was make calls with an 8 bit greyscale screen, it would have sold very poorly.

LizKat
Sep 19, 2013, 01:50 PM

Well I figure I can turn the brightness down a bit, save some batt life. And maybe ditch a flashlight app too. ;)

I'm going to wait until I get my 5C and play around with it for awhile before I can know what I think of iOS7 so far. Some of what I've read in reviews sounds good to me. I've always been able to get the arrangement of stuff on my phones to work for me so I'm not worried about that this time either. I didn't like prior iOS Newsstand restrictions, and don't think that being able now to stick the whole thing in a folder with other news-related app icons or bookmarks is going to make me much happier, but I'm not sure.

Time will tell on how much I like the new icons etc. I can't even remember right now the difference in the look of the iPhone original's last supported OS and the 4S's current OS. Yet I use both those devices almost every day. So that tells me mostly I'm about "Does the device do what I want, when I want to do whatever it is?" Yes? Great, carry on. No? Then I tell myself okay then upgrade, revert, try harder to live with it or file a feedback with Apple. Or one could go elsewhere, which so far I haven't cared to do.

Life is short, but iPhone / iOSx.x cycles are even shorter, so I don't worry about this stuff too much. I save my worry for whether the Mac OS is becoming too much like the iOS. That I could get upset about but keep postponing it because I'd rather enjoy my day :D

itsmemuffins
Sep 19, 2013, 01:54 PM

I love it all. Going back to apps that haven't been updated to iOS 7 makes them look dated and ugly. There are so many nice touched to iOS 7. Just look at the magnifying glass. It's a work of art. ;)

applesith
Sep 19, 2013, 02:01 PM
I went back to iOS 6.

Good for you!

lympero
Sep 19, 2013, 02:33 PM
iOS 7 needs an adult mode / theme. End of story.

Macalway
Sep 19, 2013, 02:35 PM

That's a good one. Actually makes a whole lot of sense

Exactly why it won't happen :D

nefan65
Sep 19, 2013, 02:36 PM

So instead of an arrow, its a guys junk? Or instead of a tab, boobies? Not sure they need that, but I suspect someone will have a Jailbreak for it at some point.

Macalway
Sep 19, 2013, 02:40 PM
So instead of an arrow, its a guys junk? Or instead of a tab, boobies? Not sure they need that, but I suspect someone will have a Jailbreak for it at some point.

I think he meant adult, as in: almost over the hill.

Then again, the boobies sounds GREAT! :)

elixxxer
Sep 19, 2013, 02:46 PM
The design will grow on most people. I've learned to like it already, aside from some of the icons and the stupid folders.

The primary problem for me is the animations. On an iPhone 5 (meaning it's not a hardware issue), everything takes just a bit longer to happen, for the sake of design, and it really bugs me. There is an increased delay from when I press the home button to the lock screen being usable. When I swipe up to kill an app, the next app to the right doesn't slide in until that tile is completely off the screen - I should be able to swipe apps away at nearly twice the speed at which is currently possible. The home screen animation looks great, but prevents me from immediately pressing an app icon that has already landed. I feel as if my swipes and taps are consistently slightly ahead of the OS, something I encountered precisely never in iOS 6, and it is already grating. Additionally annoying are the sutters and frame drops that I never encountered prior to 7 (it reminds me of pre JB Android).

All of this could be fixed in future releases, but I don't think the animations will be sped up enough to reach parity with iOS 6, and that is an objective regression in functionality. Form over function, with which I have a fundamental problem.

nefan65
Sep 19, 2013, 02:48 PM

Ahhh I see...

Yes, the next hardware upgrade will have a cradle/dock for your walker...nice!

Lucille Carter
Sep 19, 2013, 02:49 PM

I am afraid that most are not on your side. Polls here show iOS7 likes by 2 to 1. It is growing on me and some features I like very much.

There are few choices if you want to stay with Apple.

tommy122
Sep 19, 2013, 02:49 PM

I have to agree. Not a single thing. It is completely bland and devoid of color. I do think that this is going to cause a lot of people to look around at other products.

aaronvan
Sep 19, 2013, 02:53 PM
Ahhh I see...

Yes, the next hardware upgrade will have a cradle/dock for your walker...nice!

And Gramps can recharge it from his electric scooter while watching Fox News.

nefan65
Sep 19, 2013, 02:55 PM
And Gramps can recharge it from his electric scooter while watching Fox News.

Blaring his horn while trying to get the last box of shredded wheat at Walmart.

borostef
Sep 19, 2013, 02:58 PM

There is an iOS version with boobies in it?! No? Shame, I would not only be a beta tester... Alpha, gamma... You name it... :D

Djay
Sep 19, 2013, 02:59 PM
I think Chris Dickman on stocklogos.com said it best ... "icon color scheme best described as that of a twelve-year-girl's bedroom viewed while under the influence of mind-altering drugs" :o

First paragraph from his synopsis after a sampling of opinions from some in the designers community ...

"While there seems to be much to like in Apple's upcoming iOS 7, the verdict from the design community is in: the new GUI is inconsistent, while the icons and color palette are... well, perhaps the words "baffling" and "inexcusable" are a polite way to paraphrase the white-hot heat emanating from a community that has long been a core user of Apple technology, as well as one of its staunchest defenders. It should be pointed out that what was shown during Apple's presentation on Monday is not cast in stone, so there is hope that the icon color scheme best described as that of a twelve-year-girl's bedroom viewed while under the influence of mind-altering drugs can yet be brought back to the realm of the tolerable. And a rethinking of some of the wackier icons would also not be remiss, as well as the font choice of Helvetica Neue Light."

Umbrarian
Sep 19, 2013, 03:02 PM
Polls here show iOS7 likes by 2 to 1.

33% not liking your newest product is a pretty much a product launch failure. On a MAC Forum no less. I sure hope that is not true.

nefan65
Sep 19, 2013, 03:02 PM
I think Chris Dickman on stocklogos.com said it best ... "icon color scheme best described as that of a twelve-year-girl's bedroom viewed while under the influence of mind-altering drugs" :o

First paragraph from his synopsis after a sampling of opinions from some in the designers community ...

"While there seems to be much to like in Apple's upcoming iOS 7, the verdict from the design community is in: the new GUI is inconsistent, while the icons and color palette are... well, perhaps the words "baffling" and "inexcusable" are a polite way to paraphrase the white-hot heat emanating from a community that has long been a core user of Apple technology, as well as one of its staunchest defenders. It should be pointed out that what was shown during Apple's presentation on Monday is not cast in stone, so there is hope that the icon color scheme best described as that of a twelve-year-girl's bedroom viewed while under the influence of mind-altering drugs can yet be brought back to the realm of the tolerable. And a rethinking of some of the wackier icons would also not be remiss, as well as the font choice of Helvetica Neue Light."

Meh...his opinion. I've seen some of his "work", and I'm not too impressed. It's like one artist telling another artist his work sucks.

fmalloy
Sep 19, 2013, 03:03 PM
Why does making a button look like a button make it better? It's still a flat piece of glass that you're pushing on.
Good question.

Because you need to know what on the flat piece of glass is touchable/actionable and what is not.

In iOS6, you always knew what was an actionable button and what was not, because the buttons had depth, they sure looked like pressable items and there was no confusion.

In iOS7, you're never sure - there are 2D buttons with solid color fills, 2D buttons with no fill but outlines, 2D buttons with no outlines, titled icons with shapes, and finally text in a different color. And, since app developers can make text any color they like, how can we be sure that the colored/highlighted word is a button or not? Why are some things shown as 2D buttons but others as colored text? Beats me.

Inconsistent as all get out.

PalmerL
Sep 19, 2013, 03:10 PM

I think this new operating system is a great step up!! I've talked to tons of people already about the system and we all find it pretty hard to find anything to complain about.

fmalloy
Sep 19, 2013, 03:12 PM

Well said.

Apple wants a fresh new design, great. But this whole oh-so-trendy flat minimalist thing is terrible. Lifeless, flat primary-color graphics and razor-thin stick-figure fonts that look like they're going to snap in two - just what we need on a small, handheld device where you need to maximize visibility.

And this BS about "clarity" and "stripping away unnecessary ornamentation" - so adding a parallax effect on the home screen and frosted-glass overlays are necessary?

Graphics processors today are powerful - they can render fantastic 3D effects with shading, mirroring and complex textures...only to have the OS and UI stripped down to 1980's VGA quality. Bravo!

People out there are trying to tout this as "modern UI improvement" but let's face it - there's nothing that makes it more usable or innovative; it's nothing more than fashion design, like bell-bottoms or skinny ties - those clothes weren't any more functional, they were just fashion trends. So stop trying to convince us that this is an improved design because it's not.

dcp10
Sep 19, 2013, 03:12 PM

You forgot to say "in my opinion"

darngooddesign
Sep 19, 2013, 03:15 PM

It would just be small photos of Toyota Camries in different shades of grey.

Blakeasd
Sep 19, 2013, 03:43 PM
I don't think this is necessarily a problem with iOS 7. Flat design is a trend the entire industry is heading towards.

blasto2236
Sep 19, 2013, 04:05 PM
I know. It's comical when you read posts about how childish the iOS 7 icons look, etc. but green felt, shining buttons, and torn paper are professional...?

There are some legitimate posts about some folks experiences; battery, lag on older devices, etc. But most of the posts are personal, opinionated rants. The same thing happened with iOS 5 & 6. I recall that the Maps debacle of 2011 was the end for Apple. Yet here we are in 2013, the earth is still rotating, and Apple is still in business.

Maps was last year.

Lucille Carter
Sep 19, 2013, 04:52 PM
33% not liking your newest product is a pretty much a product launch failure. On a MAC Forum no less. I sure hope that is not true.

It IS the iPhone forum!:p

nefan65
Sep 19, 2013, 05:14 PM
Maps was last year.

Yes it was. Thanks for the correction.

cola79
Sep 19, 2013, 05:20 PM
I downgrade my iPhone and iPad at this moment down to 6.1.3 again, mainly because of the design. iOS7 ran fast and smooth, and i liked the new features...but i "really" use my phone to read messages, and i feel tortured now each time i do this on the new iOS.

I do not like these so called "flat designs", as they are empty and without deepnes, soul, nor beauty!

What mostly attracted me to want an iphone was the Design, when Google began to establish the new flat design, i really hated that. I was really lucky when i got my phone, and not much later i bought an ipad.

I personally have no need to upgrade, as anything i need and use runs properly on 6. Things like AirDrop are nonsense, as they still only work between iPhones, what is kinda freaky in 2013, where seperation between diffrent operating systems should have been overcome. The fingerprint thing, well, in my opinion fingerprints should only taken by criminals...

I wonder if Ivy or how the designer is called ever used a mobile phone for anything beyond than just watching it. If he ever had used one, he might have discovered, that a sms on 6 could be easily read, on 7 it is just a pain. Same with the calendar and others...

By the way, will there be a day when they teach safari to make Texts on webpages after double-tap readable as easy as on every android running the old fashioned 2.3 and beyond?

WeegieMac
Sep 19, 2013, 05:27 PM
I cannot go back to iOS 6 for day to day use having gotten used to 7 over the beta phase. 6 is so out of date by comparison.

zbarvian
Sep 19, 2013, 05:36 PM
I don't think this is necessarily a problem with iOS 7. Flat design is a trend the entire industry is heading towards.

I can show you innumerable flat designs that look way better than iOS 7. Childish, amateur, and ugly are not intrinsic qualities of flat design.

dmunz
Sep 19, 2013, 05:38 PM
It's fine, but there are serious problems

Just the facts.

But whatever, it's doable as Apple IS Going to fix it once we threaten them

But Notes syncs with Exchange now! :eek:

This is new for my company anyway. The last two things I hated about the switch from a BB were Notes not syncing and losing color coding for my calander items.

This is actually a good thing. (If only I could read the notes...)

FWIW
DLM

cola79
Sep 19, 2013, 05:39 PM
I also noticed that the sound quality of phone calls is much better on 6, than on the new 7.

Seems they made anything flat, design and sound. 6 was deeper in any aspect.

gentlefury
Sep 19, 2013, 05:44 PM
I also noticed that the sound quality of phone calls is much better on 6, than on the new 7.

Seems they made anything flat, design and sound. 6 was deeper in any aspect.

Seriously? Lol.

NiKeZz
Sep 19, 2013, 05:49 PM
I cannot go back to iOS 6 for day to day use having gotten used to 7 over the beta phase. 6 is so out of date by comparison.

I've been using it since the beta as well... I'm pretty into technology and updates... I like new. But even I haven't looked at this update and said, "wow, I can't believe the design of this compared to something else". I just don't do that, I can't think a majority of the mass customers actually care about the design as much as they care about the functionality and reliability.

glawrence33
Sep 19, 2013, 05:53 PM
It's funny how all I herd over the last year was how out of date ios was, how apple lost it, android was moving up and doing more. Apple has to change, can't just have the same old thing again. When ios6 launched, is this it?Now apple makes a change and it's OMG how could you! It just makes me laugh. After 3 months of ios7 I could never go back!

borostef
Sep 19, 2013, 05:55 PM
Meh...his opinion. I've seen some of his "work", and I'm not too impressed. It's like one artist telling another artist his work sucks.

Apple can do nothing wrong as far as you are concerned... Right? And artists telling other artists that their work sucks is an integral part of art... Well maybe not for Apple "artists"... They are immpecable...

MattInOz
Sep 19, 2013, 05:59 PM

If the old school terminals had text this nice would we have move to GUI at all?

glhiii
Sep 19, 2013, 06:06 PM
iOS 7 manages to be elegant and playful at the same time. It's wonderful -- could NEVER go back.

Giantsbabe
Sep 19, 2013, 06:15 PM
iOS 7 manages to be elegant and playful at the same time. It's wonderful -- could NEVER go back.

Well, I did just go back to 6.1.3. iOS 7 is just plain ugly on my iPad Mini and evn though I have to reinstall some of my apps, I am doing the happy dance. There will be no new iDevices in this household ... For as long as our existing last.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder!

bchery21
Sep 19, 2013, 06:30 PM
All I can say is this - you'll either like it or not. Those who don't like it initially might see it grow on them until they do (or might never end up liking it). Last night I texted an old coworker/friend to remember to update her phone (she had no clue an update was coming). I JUST texted her now asking what she thought and she said, "It's really cool. More color and fun rather than dry". I asked someone else who also had no idea of the update and he told me "it's really slick".

Obviously those are two positives. I'm sure the more people I ask I'll find some who think oppositely. Overall I'm sure we'll have polls of what people think of it.

mizelly41
Sep 19, 2013, 06:36 PM
I have been looking for a big update for iOS, but this was not it. I have always felt I knew how to operate iOS before I even turned it on, but now it seems like I have to think and look around for what I want.

I can't stand the transitions. Throughout the day, I would hit the wake button to look at the time and hit it again to put it asleep and back in my pocket. Now it takes longer as when you push the button it fades in. The lack of buttons is just confusing. I actually spent a minute or two looking for an option. It was right in front of me, but I thought it was just text and not a button.

I would have to say that this is the first iOS upgrade I have been disappointed in and am considering downgrading. I also was considering getting the new iPhone 5s, but not sure anymore. Of course after have iOS for years now and spent money on iOS only apps, I feel stuck because I don't want to have to buy all those apps again.

I have heard family members say that it looks awful and this is the first time they have seen iOS 7.

I predict that by iOS 9, we will see Apple execs on stage making fun of the 'flat design' just like they made fun of the green felt.

minimo3
Sep 19, 2013, 06:38 PM

Ah the PDP-11. I remember it well.

If this flat, texture less UI movement catches on pretty soon we can ditch GPUs and go back to 80x25 ASCII art.

Personally I think iOS 7 is perfect for...... The iphone 5c. It's incongruous with something like the 5s or even the 4s though. If anything iOS 7 seems like a copy of Samsung's cartoonish TouchWiz UI.

opmisk
Sep 19, 2013, 06:52 PM
Having used 7 since the first beta, many of these comments reflect my first impressions, and i'm sure others as well. I remember immediately thinking I would downgrade to 6. I'd say it took, maybe 2 days using the new UI and suddenly ios 6 on my ipad felt old, dated, much less useful, and not nearly as pleasing to the eye.

I love iOS 7 now, sure there are things that need tweaked, it's a 1.0 release, but overall, I again look forward to picking my phone up. It's fresh, and many of the new features make it much more efficient and productive.

Two weeks from now, many of you will be singing a different tune, guarantee it. And it probably won't take that long.

Nhwhazup
Sep 19, 2013, 07:49 PM
I've been an Apple fan for years and have been totally thrilled with all purchased products and every upgrade until now. I'm not crazy about the flatness of the look but would be happy with it if it weren't so bright white. I work on a computer all day and have always enjoyed surfing around at night on my iPad. But I seriously can't look at it too long without eye strain.

Real bummer for me. I'm hoping I'll get used to it but I doubt it.

So disappointed - hasn't Apple paid attention to all the research that says to tone down electronics at night? I know you can invert which I've done but it's still not the answer.

portishead
Sep 19, 2013, 08:01 PM
I just picture these people who hate iOS7 staring at their screen but not actually using the phone. It's the only thing that could possibly make any sense.

springsup
Sep 19, 2013, 08:06 PM
No, the design isn't perfect. There are some downright ugly Apps; but that's nothing new. iOS has always had a couple of ugly Apps (and Apple's calendar has always sucked).

It could have been worse. Apple have a lot of work to do, but it's not the most awful possible design that could have been invented.

HenryDJP
Sep 19, 2013, 08:09 PM
1) Didn't know.

Complaining on MR doesn't give Apple any feedback. They have a feedback site. This is rumor site. Not worth their time. The rest of I'm pretty sure is true. ;)

Spacial
Sep 19, 2013, 08:10 PM

Funny, when iOS 6 was released it was well received. Apple worshipers are fickle.

Macalway
Sep 19, 2013, 08:12 PM
Maybe they went just a tad too far in a reaction against the previous version.
I mean, this is a MAJOR graphics change. 7 is like the Anti-6

Anyway, thank God they didn't screw with functionality (in a bad way, that is)

dannyyankou
Sep 19, 2013, 08:14 PM
Funny, when iOS 6 was released it was well received. Apple worshipers are fickle.

I've personally always hated the glossy icons, the wood, and green felt. Just my opinion though.

portishead
Sep 19, 2013, 08:22 PM

Funny, when iOS6 was released android trolls weren't really around. A little sadistic, but to each their own.

Bacong
Sep 19, 2013, 08:23 PM

This is a lot of words to say "I don't like change". iOS prior to 7 "wasn't there" because you were used to it.

People will get used to 7 and literally everything you've said will become meaningless. Apple could not carry on with this design forever -- a change had to come, and it came now.

It's almost completely the same OS with a new UI and some features. Core functionality is almost completely identical. But no, you're claiming that this change is the death knell for Apple..come on. It's an overreaction to a stark change. Can't blame people for it, considering iOS looked exactly the same for 6 years.

This will pass, and most of you will look silly.

HenryDJP
Sep 19, 2013, 09:58 PM

Exactly because the other 67% that do like it definitely indicates a product launch failure. And you do realize a forum barely represents 1/10th of a percent of actual users, or did you think that Macrumors members are Apple's only customers. :rolleyes:

gentlefury
Sep 19, 2013, 10:03 PM

Was it? Do you not remember how crazy people went over maps (that was actually awesome and still is).

likemyorbs
Sep 19, 2013, 10:15 PM
Was it? Do you not remember how crazy people went over maps (that was actually awesome and still is).

And I was actually pretty pissed off because I was really hoping for a major UI change with 6. It really felt stale.

bluespark
Sep 19, 2013, 10:39 PM
I can show you innumerable flat designs that look way better than iOS 7. Childish, amateur, and ugly are not intrinsic qualities of flat design.

This is a good point that is being overlooked. Conceptually, so-called "flat" design has merit, but as with any style there are good and bad examples. I'm sad to say that I think Apple got more wrong with this effort than they got right.

Spacial
Sep 20, 2013, 04:21 AM
The people that accept whatever Apple forces on them, are quick to gush over how fabulous it is. Interestingly they turn to hate on those who don't agree with them. As though they'd be happy in a society where everyone was identical with no mind of their own. Very revealing.

Krissypantz2828
Sep 20, 2013, 04:31 AM
I hated it at first, but I now really like it. I've been with it through all the betas like most of us. My friend just upgraded and didn't like it as well but now she loves it. So it's more of a matter of just giving it a chance and letting it grow on you.

OSMac
Sep 20, 2013, 04:54 AM
If you don't like it downgrade while you can ....
As of a few hours ago it was still possible.

Not for long ...

nefan65
Sep 20, 2013, 07:45 AM
Apple can do nothing wrong as far as you are concerned... Right? And artists telling other artists that their work sucks is an integral part of art... Well maybe not for Apple "artists"... They are immpecable...

I didn't say that. My point is that its' opinion. This thread, and many like it, arguing over esthetics are subjective, and are opinions.

People have had this argument about iOS 6, Windows Phone, and Android as well. You didn't like my post, that's your opinion. Get over yourself...

AppleHater
Sep 20, 2013, 08:38 AM
I hate this "flat looking UI". I understand that they're going for simplicity but it looks dull. It looks dull with windows 8, it looks dull with windows phone, it looks meh with google stuffs, and it looks terrible with iOS 7.

All these flat bright colored buttons and icons drive me nuts. I liked the way iOS 6 and before looked and I really think they fixed something that's not broken ended up breaking it.

AustinIllini
Sep 20, 2013, 08:52 AM
This is a lot of words to say "I don't like change". iOS prior to 7 "wasn't there" because you were used to it.

People will get used to 7 and literally everything you've said will become meaningless. Apple could not carry on with this design forever -- a change had to come, and it came now.

It's almost completely the same OS with a new UI and some features. Core functionality is almost completely identical. But no, you're claiming that this change is the death knell for Apple..come on. It's an overreaction to a stark change. Can't blame people for it, considering iOS looked exactly the same for 6 years.

This will pass, and most of you will look silly.

Trolls just need something to complain about. Suddenly iOS 6 is the best version ever when people were crying and moaning about how Apple hadn't done anything to iOS since 2007.

I find iOS 7 beautiful and functional, however I wouldn't be surprised if there was a regression towards the mean of iOS 6 and 7 in the future.

Lerxt
Sep 20, 2013, 09:03 AM
It's pretty pathetic to read people getting upset and calling "troll" for having an opinion. How about before you acuse people of it, learn about what it means?

This is the Fox News way of doing things... Trying to break topics down to heroes and enemies. Grow up people or move off to Appleinsider.

darngooddesign
Sep 20, 2013, 09:15 AM
It's pretty pathetic to read people getting upset and calling "troll" for having an opinion. How about before you acuse people of it, learn about what it means?

This is the Fox News way of doing things... Trying to break topics down to heroes and enemies. Grow up people or move off to Appleinsider.

That's sounding an awful lot like "troll talk".

jhwalker
Sep 20, 2013, 09:21 AM

You are Wrong. PERIOD. LOL

Seriously, it's really just a skin on iOS 6. Can't really see any substantive changes, but I like the color scheme, etc. Don't see what all the fuss is about.

someone28624
Sep 20, 2013, 09:29 AM

I like many things about the update- expanded Siri, iTunes Radio, clearing notifications on all devices, Control Center. I don't like the UI either, though. There are lots of good reasons to update, but I do feel the UI was a step backward.

MrGuder
Sep 20, 2013, 09:36 AM
Flat design is a trend the entire industry is heading towards.

If Steve Jobs were alive...he would never ever use a statement like..."we are going to a flat design because that is where the industry is heading"....huh? he would never say that...apple is about inventing new ideas not following the leader or copying what is already out there. This is my opinion.

I am staying with IOS6 on iPhone 5, it works, it's lovely to look at and I can read my text messages, it has colors that are pleasing with no pinks and greens or whites that blind you. It's a shame though because I want all the new features but not the new look.

someone28624
Sep 20, 2013, 09:42 AM
Image (http://cdn.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Calculator.png)

I find the image on the left, ugly. The image on the right a lot easier on the eyes. However, anyone picking up either of these applications will know how it works.

Thank goodness I got rid of my MC button so I can have empty black space at the top.

Mr-Kerrse
Sep 20, 2013, 09:46 AM
I like it in fact i don't understand why you are moaning so much, get over it & go have a beer :D

TheRainKing
Sep 20, 2013, 09:47 AM
Somebody posted this in another thread and I think it's great article summing up some of the things wrong with iOS 7.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2013/09/19/ios-7-on-iphone-4s-and-ipad-2-life-on-the-edge-of-apples-lifecycle/

LatinaC09
Sep 20, 2013, 09:50 AM
My god iOS looked the same for almost 6 years...it was getting tiresome looking at the same UI every day. I for one embraced the change. Very much needed. :D

Brother Esau
Sep 20, 2013, 09:53 AM
The people that accept whatever Apple forces on them, are quick to gush over how fabulous it is. Interestingly they turn to hate on those who don't agree with them. As though they'd be happy in a society where everyone was identical with no mind of their own. Very revealing.

Regretfully, this quite sad and very true!

BTW There is NO WAY IN HELL that Steve Jobs would have allowed FLAT Design in any Apple O.S!

I really don't know what they are thinking with this but they need to get rid of a lot of this non differential design and incorporate some design that clearly separates one element from the next. The constant white / grey color combination sucks big time.

Something as simple as changing the timer on the clock, I was miffed on what they did with the controls to change the settings, but it was right there in front of me and I did not even notice it!

What does that tell you? Intuitive, simplified? on the contrary, bordering f**cking stuck on stupid who ever pulled the trigger and gave the OK to this B.S that I see throughout the entire iOS 7 GUI is a total moron and has no clue as to what people want!

Jonny Ive, this is your Vision bro but that does not mean that it is what your customers want!....please bring back the old design because...using iOS 7 is like looking at the snow on the ground too long as it basically gives the same effect.

xVeinx
Sep 20, 2013, 09:55 AM
iOS 7 will be fine. I understand that not everyone will like the look, but with a bit of customization and some tweaking by Apple in the next few updates, we'll be fine. Apple is likely to be much more hands on in the next few updates since they knew this was a big change and are being unusually attentive this time around...

darngooddesign
Sep 20, 2013, 10:01 AM
Thank goodness I got rid of my MC button so I can have empty black space at the top.

AC appears after you press C for the first time. Its a second step but its there.

someone28624
Sep 20, 2013, 10:10 AM
AC appears after you press C for the first time. Its a second step but its there.

Thanks! I had been flipping to landscape orientation to get this functionality.

roadbloc
Sep 20, 2013, 10:12 AM

You better start believing it. I like it. That's 1 person and counting.

zen
Sep 20, 2013, 10:16 AM
I like the UI - SOME parts of it. Others are a real headache.

Look at this screenshot - tell me that the button in orange text (which doesn't even look like a button) at the bottom is good design!

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/ghostfinderP/photo_zps5ec2f5d1.png

Brother Esau
Sep 20, 2013, 10:19 AM
The design is totally WEAK!

I design websites and I have to tell you, If this is the future of APPLE then they will be bankrupt in no time!

MagicHAM
Sep 20, 2013, 10:23 AM
Mate, designing web sites and designing graphical interfaces is not in the same league. Does your web sites have mobile phones attached to them? Or a music player with graphical buttons?

I don't see the design as weak at all. For me it's a bit of a hit and miss. I like the new features, but I am disappointed in the design. It's just way too flat. And the brightish colours are a dissapointment. I don't want some skittles rainbow after taste on my screen. On the ipad it looks pretty bad, on the iPhone **** **** its not to bad.

DomC
Sep 20, 2013, 10:26 AM
Look at this screenshot [/url]

Yeah the first time I saw that format of type pop up at the bottom of the screen I thought the same thing. Not nearly as tweaked as some of the other elements. Looks like an intern had that for a project!

Brother Esau
Sep 20, 2013, 10:28 AM
Mate, designing web sites and designing graphical interfaces is not in the same league. Does your web sites have mobile phones attached to them? Or a music player with graphical buttons?

Aesthetics are aesthetics my man. What is your point?

What does proper color selection and aesthetically pleasing design have to do it it being a phone or application?

What do you think a website is? It's an interactive application that provides functionality.

MacMilligan
Sep 20, 2013, 10:30 AM

Look at this screenshot - tell me that the button in orange text (which doesn't even look like a button) at the bottom is good design!

Image (http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/ghostfinderP/photo_zps5ec2f5d1.png)

That looks like it was taken from a phone where they increased the font size. That does not look like stock font.

zen
Sep 20, 2013, 10:34 AM
That looks like it was taken from a phone where they increased the font size. That does not look like stock font.

That's my iPhone 5, I took the shot myself. I've been running iOS 7 since yesterday morning.

Shield
Sep 20, 2013, 10:35 AM
You are Wrong. PERIOD. LOL

Seriously, it's really just a skin on iOS 6. Can't really see any substantive changes, but I like the color scheme, etc. Don't see what all the fuss is about.

I agree with this...that essentially iOS 7 is simply a new skin over iOS 6. To me, it feels the same in basic operation and layout. But it has been graphically flatten, visually simplified, and made glaringly hard to look at, in my opinion. While I appreciate some of the useful tweaks to the OS, I greatly dislike it's appearance. It's hard on my eyes.

MacMilligan
Sep 20, 2013, 10:36 AM
That's my iPhone 5, I took the shot myself. I've been running iOS 7 since yesterday morning.

Strange, I can't reproduce it on an iPhone 4. I don't even get the prompt when I turn it on/off.

zen
Sep 20, 2013, 10:38 AM
Strange, I can't reproduce it on an iPhone 4. I don't even get the prompt when I turn it on/off.

Hmm. It's when I hit the main button at the top. Regardless of whether I have individual apps set to background-update, flicking the main switch always gives me this notification and button.

darngooddesign
Sep 20, 2013, 10:38 AM
What do you think a website is? It's an interactive application that provides functionality.

Websites are less involved than OS design. There is just so much more you have to design for when you are doing an OS.

MacMilligan
Sep 20, 2013, 10:43 AM
Hmm. It's when I hit the main button at the top. Regardless of whether I have individual apps set to background-update, flicking the main switch always gives me this notification and button.

Maybe I don't have any apps that use location services or geofences and that is why it isn't prompting me. Looks like Apple should cut down the label. A minor design flaw that will be polished over time.

Jookbox
Sep 20, 2013, 10:51 AM
It could be worse. It could be android.

That's funny you say that considering this new version stole even more features from android.

DollaTwentyFive
Sep 20, 2013, 11:05 AM
That's funny you say that considering this new version stole even more features from android.

Wow. 2 days for android defender to pipe up.

Relax, I'm not an android hater. I was saying it to be funny. I have used many versions of android and, while not for me, I think it is just fine. It's nice to have options out there so people can choose what they like.

roadbloc
Sep 20, 2013, 11:10 AM
I design websites and I have to tell you, If this is the future of APPLE then they will be bankrupt in no time!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

>One questionable product design (that will most likely have the inconsistencies ironed out of it after a couple of updates).
>Claims Apple will go bankrupt in no time.

Man, I have no idea how Microsoft survived Vista. My must have taken out one hell of a loan. :rolleyes:

dejo
Sep 20, 2013, 11:15 AM
Mod Note: This thread is temporarily closed to clean up all the off-topic, bickering. When it reopens, remain on-topic and civil. Please see the Rules for Appropriate Debate (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Rules_for_Appropriate_Debate) if you need a reminder of what we expect.