Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hi all

I dont remember when setting up IO7 if I had to press an additional option to active, the new activation lock on the IO7. My understanding is the new feature, will ask for your apple ID and password in order to unlock the iphone, if it was lost or stolen. Under Icloud I do have my Find My Iphone enabled though.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi all

I dont remember when setting up IO7 if I had to press an additional option to active, the new activation lock on the IO7. My understanding is the new feature, will ask for your apple ID and password in order to unlock the iphone, if it was lost or stolen. Under Icloud I do have my Find My Iphone enabled though.

If someone steals your phone and attempts to restore it (to wipe it), it says you must first turn off Find My iPhone. So the thief goes to turn it off, but when he tries, it requires that you enter in your Apple ID password. He can no longer wipe your phone to make it look like new. It's stuck, therefore no good to thieves.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
How do you activate this if you did not elect to do so when you set up your phone. I do not want to have to use a password everytime but would love to have this feature.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
How do you activate this if you did not elect to do so when you set up your phone. I do not want to have to use a password everytime but would love to have this feature.

You don't have to do anything. It's built in. As long as you have Find my iPhone on and an Apple ID password (which you must), it will work. To test it, plug your phone in to your computer and hit restore. It will first prompt you to disable find my iphone. Go to your phone and try to disable it, it will ask for your Apple ID password.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
If someone steals your phone and attempts to restore it (to wipe it), it says you must first turn off Find My iPhone. So the thief goes to turn it off, but when he tries, it requires that you enter in your Apple ID password. He can no longer wipe your phone to make it look like new. It's stuck, therefore no good to thieves.

Oh okay so its simple as that. So no need for me to go through a restore of IO7 or anything. So from what your saying, since I have got Find My Iphone enabled on my Iphone right now. Everything is then set in place already.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Oh okay so its simple as that. So no need for me to go through a restore of IO7 or anything. So from what your saying, since I have got Find My Iphone enabled on my Iphone right now. Everything is then set in place already.

As I understand it, as Apple advertises, and as has worked on my phone, yes that should be it. :cool:

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
You don't have to do anything. It's built in. As long as you have Find my iPhone on and an Apple ID password (which you must), it will work. To test it, plug your phone in to your computer and hit restore. It will first prompt you to disable find my iphone. Go to your phone and try to disable it, it will ask for your Apple ID password.

Thanks Tyler

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011

I have just tested it and yes it works. Cool thanks for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.