PDA

View Full Version : Camera Orientation Change

rstark18
Sep 19, 2013, 11:57 AM
FYI, it appears that the new correct orientation for landscape is with the volume trigger buttons facing up. In iOS 6 the the correct orientation was with the button facing down. When I saw correct I am talking about the way the camera determines if a photo needs to be rotated to show correctly. For example when transferring photos over to Windows computers if you didn't have the orientation correct the photo would appear upside down in photoviewer.

dylzen
Sep 19, 2013, 02:40 PM
Thank God. I've always wondered why the hell photos would show upside down on my PC when I shot them with the volume button, just like a camera... Glad they fixed it and thanks for sharing.

C DM
Sep 19, 2013, 02:53 PM
It's not the camera orientation that was wrong, it's that Windows didn't properly read all the photo information to determine the correct rotation. At one point not too long ago they fixed that in Windows, so now it should be "right" any way you do it. That said, with the ability to use the volume up button as the shutter button since iOS 6, having the volume buttons up seems to be the more "appropriate" way to hold it for landscape orientation.

rstark18
Sep 19, 2013, 02:59 PM
It's not the camera orientation that was wrong, it's that Windows didn't properly read all the photo information to determine the correct rotation. At one point not too long ago they fixed that in Windows, so now it should be "right" any way you do it. That said, with the ability to use the volume up button as the shutter button since iOS 6, having the volume buttons up seems to be the more "appropriate" way to hold it for landscape orientation.

Not sure about that. When shooting with the buttons pointed down in iOS7 the pic shows up upside down in Window (7). Just the opposite with my wife's iPhone that is still on iOS6. Just ran test shots to verify. I am not talking about the thumbnail preview by the way.

rstark18
Oct 28, 2013, 01:54 PM
Hmmm looks like 7.0.3 changed the orientation back to the way it was before iOS 7 (buttons down).