Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
When I received a call from my gf, under her name it listed her place of work. She called me from her cell. Does the iPhone use location services on where she is? I just don't get how her exact company name came up (as opposed to her location - city and state).

By the way, I don't have her company name listed in her contact details.

MetalMatt24

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
When I received a call from my gf, under her name it listed her place of work. She called me from her cell. Does the iPhone use location services on where she is? I just don't get how her exact company name came up (as opposed to her location - city and state).

She's lying to you :cool:

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Do you know what she has her outgoing call display set to through her cell phone company?

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
She's lying to you :cool:

There's no lying. She is at work right now and when I saw the call coming on my iPhone, underneath her name stated "XYZ Company Inc." She called from her iPhone, not her company phone.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London

You've most probably signed into Facebook within "settings" and allowed it to sync facebook data do your contact book, Switch this off in ://Settings/Facebook/

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
You've most probably signed into Facebook within "settings" and allowed it to sync facebook data do your contact book, Switch this off in ://Settings/Facebook/

I have no Facebook. Basically imagine your gf works for MacRumors Bakery and Cakes and you get a call, it states "Marcus Girlfriend" and underneath states "Macrumors Bakery." I mean I would've imagined something like "London, UK" but not her exact company name.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
I have no Facebook. Basically imagine your gf works for MacRumors Bakery and Cakes and you get a call, it states "Marcus Girlfriend" and underneath states "Macrumors Bakery." I mean I would've imagined something like "London, UK" but not her exact company name.

Then check twitter as this does the same thing. Something in your ;settings/privacy settings is accessing your contact book and syncing data from somewhere take a look:)

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I'd make sure that a) she isn't calling from a phone at work (dumb question, but it has to be asked) and b) you know what her cellphone carrier has her outgoing call display set to. I'd also double check the information that is stored under her name in your contacts list.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I'd make sure that a) she isn't calling from a phone at work (dumb question, but it has to be asked) and b) you know what her cellphone carrier has her outgoing call display set to. I'd also double check the information that is stored under her name in your contacts list.

It is from her iPhone. The only thing I can think of is that in her contact info I have her work address but I DO NOT have the name of her company in it. Her company address is the only company there so maybe the iPhone guessed the name? But I live in NYC and a lot of buildings like 1 Penn Plaza have 80 companies in one building. I wonder how that would work.

Cfyre0815

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
I've noticed when my girlfriend is calling me regardless if it's from work or her iPhone under her name it cycles through her company name and then "iPhone 4S". It just keeps going back and fourth between the two....

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
look at her contact info in your phone. is there anything in there with her work info in it? i know you said you dont have facebook, but it surely seems like something is syncing facebook "about" info into the contact for her. does she have FB?

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
look at her contact info in your phone. is there anything in there with her work info in it? i know you said you dont have facebook, but it surely seems like something is syncing facebook "about" info into the contact for her. does she have FB?

I'm such a bozo. In her contact info it lists the place of her work. I never put this information in. I can only guess that when I added the work addy in her contact info (but I didn't include the name of her company), it must've auto-completed it for me based on Apple Maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.