PDA

View Full Version : Google Drops NFC Requirement for Google Wallet, iOS App Now Available

MacRumors
Sep 19, 2013, 12:25 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/19/google-drops-nfc-requirement-for-google-wallet-ios-app-now-available/)

Google today launched its Google Wallet (http://www.google.com/wallet/) payments app for iOS, allowing users to send money via email, store credit and debit cards, keep track of loyalty programs, and more.

Apple has steadfastly refused to adopt NFC and because it has fallen out of popularity, Google recently ceased requiring NFC technology in order to utilize the app on Android, shifting its focus from mobile payments to focus on loyalty cards, merchant offers, and discounts.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/googlewallet.jpg
With the new format, an app was able to be created for iOS, but because iOS devices do not support NFC, Google Wallet does not include the tap-to-pay functionality of the Android app.- Send money to any friend in the US with an email address.
- Easily add all of your loyalty cards, offers, and more to Google Wallet and redeem in stores.
- Your PIN keeps Google Wallet more secure, and if you lose your phone you can remotely disable the app at wallet.google.com/manage.
- The Google Wallet app uses your location to show you nearby offers and more. If you would like to turn this feature off, please go to your device's Privacy settings and turn off Location Services.Google Wallet (http://www.appshopper.com/finance/google-wallet) can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id575923525?mt=8)]

Article Link: Google Drops NFC Requirement for Google Wallet, iOS App Now Available (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/19/google-drops-nfc-requirement-for-google-wallet-ios-app-now-available/)

larrylaffer
Sep 19, 2013, 12:32 PM
NFC could be a good thing folks.

Also fristy psoty.

Iconoclysm
Sep 19, 2013, 12:43 PM

Also fristy psoty.

Mobile payments are a good thing but NFC isn't a necessity for that to happen.

theheadguy
Sep 19, 2013, 12:47 PM
I'm happy about this mainly because I want a solid alternative to PayPal.

Szarky
Sep 19, 2013, 12:49 PM
Mobile payments are a good thing but NFC isn't a necessity for that to happen.

Exactly. I'd say a fingerprint sensor is a necessity though ;)

r-m
Sep 19, 2013, 12:55 PM
US only still, I guess?
I'm in the UK and the link opens up "google search" app page on the App Store.

phillytim
Sep 19, 2013, 01:09 PM
Meh. Google's getting desperate. Just as Blackberry is with BBM going multi-platform.

alent1234
Sep 19, 2013, 01:18 PM
why would i need to send money to other people via google wallet?

Repo
Sep 19, 2013, 01:18 PM
Meh. Google's getting desperate. Just as Blackberry is with BBM going multi-platform.

Multi-platform != desperation, rather, it will likely lead to wider adoption if it proves useful.

Plutonius
Sep 19, 2013, 01:31 PM

Google goes anywhere it can make a profit.

----------

Send some to me to see how well it works :D.

NachoGrande
Sep 19, 2013, 01:37 PM
meh, they have enough of my data, my bank accounts won't be part of it...

samcraig
Sep 19, 2013, 01:38 PM
Google goes anywhere it can make a profit.[COLOR="#808080"]

Don't all companies go anywhere they can see themselves making a profit?

Carlanga
Sep 19, 2013, 01:42 PM
Exactly. I'd say a fingerprint sensor is a necessity though ;)

At least I will use touch-id more than NFC.

Plutonius
Sep 19, 2013, 01:54 PM
Don't all companies go anywhere they can see themselves making a profit?

That was my point. People are claiming Google is desperate but it's just a matter of them going where the money is.

spillproof
Sep 19, 2013, 02:14 PM

Easy way to pay someone if you both have Wallet. Much like the Chase Person-to-Person QuickPay (https://www.chase.com/online-banking/quickpay) but does not require a either party to belong to a particular bank. Just add the Wallet feature to your existing Google account. All my family, friends, and co-workers have at least one Google email account- so I can see this being useful.

TXCherokee
Sep 19, 2013, 02:44 PM

One example: My friends and I regularly get together at one of our houses and, in our case, play board games or LAN games. Eventually, we order food. One person usually pays with a Credit Card and we all chip in. Always, there is one or two people who are cashless at the time. As 'who owes who' eventually equals out in our group, this is not a big deal. However, a system like Google Wallet eliminates that problem.

Paypal could also work, but we use Google+ to coordinate our events, so this would be easier as everyone already has a gmail account.

Other similar situations could apply where one person covers a bill for convience sake.

Jzaque
Sep 19, 2013, 02:46 PM
(wrong thread)

nutmac
Sep 19, 2013, 02:50 PM

From what I can tell, NFC has one major benefit over Bluetooth Smart (aka, Bluetooth Low Energy or BLE): cheaper for merchants. Unpowered RFID tags are cheap and plentiful, and can be readily placed just about anywhere.

Bluetooth Smart, on the other hand, needs to be powered and costs more (although still affordable enough). Estimote's Beacons (http://estimote.com), for instance, will cost $99.

But in return, Bluetooth Smart is not limited to close proximity (up to nearly 2000 inches vs. NFC's meager up to 8 inches). And it is significantly faster (about 2 Mbps vs. NFC's 400 Kbps) and arguably more universal in terms of compatibility.

olowott
Sep 19, 2013, 02:52 PM
Thank you but NO!

Perfect Score
Sep 19, 2013, 02:58 PM
Companies are fighting to become the standards. Just like VHS/Beta, BluRay/HD DVD, it's a race to become the most dominant mobile financial service.

Only the stakes are so much higher than recording a TV show

http://newnation.sg/wp-content/uploads/eat-popcorn-3D.gif

Michael CM1
Sep 19, 2013, 04:25 PM
Anybody know where a good review of the service is? I honestly don't know much about Google Wallet. I'd really just like to ditch some of the cards in my wallet. I found out that Kroger now lets you add your Plus Card to Passbook, so that's out.

rish
Sep 19, 2013, 06:00 PM
Go to a google forum? Or better still Zdnet/Cnet?

fhall1
Sep 19, 2013, 07:44 PM
So now Google not only knows what I'm searching for - they'll know exactly what I bought.

linuxcooldude
Sep 19, 2013, 08:44 PM
From what I can tell, NFC has one major benefit over Bluetooth Smart (aka, Bluetooth Low Energy or BLE): cheaper for merchants. Unpowered RFID tags are cheap and plentiful, and can be readily placed just about anywhere.

Even though its not overly expensive at 10 cents a piece, putting it on thousands of pieces of merchandise adds up quickly.

zhenlek
Sep 20, 2013, 02:02 AM
Turns out NFC isn't the 'next big thing' afterall lol...

Satnam1989
Sep 20, 2013, 05:16 AM
Haha - Apple's resistant yet to another thing has made it "un-famous" - This is great:

So far Apple has proven that in 2013:
- We don't need NFC - as we can do just fine without it
- We don't need Quad-Core processors that fill spec sheets for our mobile phones in order to have the best experience
- We don't need 2-3GB of RAM on our smartphones, we can do just fine with 1GB all while having the best experience
- We don't need any of Samsung's "Innovations" such as that fly over finger tech, eye gesture? - as those features are jus gimmicks and nothing more.
- We don't need LTE-A as its "rarely" available, it makes sense, I think apple would much rather perfect their iPhone that supports LTE-A than just release one without testing it well enough - much like what Samsung does.

One thing I think they should have included is/was AC-WiFi Support - however with the readily available WiFi networks all over - the need isn't exactly there and its more of a "want"

This is great, I love how apple always sticks by what works rather than always jumping ship at any and every chance they get, we can clearly see apple spends the time to perfect before moving on.

macs4nw
Sep 20, 2013, 05:44 AM
..I love how apple always sticks by what works rather than always jumping ship at any and every chance they get, we can clearly see apple spends the time to perfect before moving on.

Their relentless pursuit of an exquisite and impeccable user experience is in their DNA, no seriously, they do try hard to give us a great user experience.

markie
Sep 20, 2013, 09:29 AM
NFC is fantastic. I should have my iPhone 5C and it's the one thing I'll miss from my Nexus 4. Just tap and pay without pulling your wallet out at any US merchant that takes contactless cards. It truly is amazing, and if more merchants took contactless it'd be fantastic.

pmz
Sep 20, 2013, 03:49 PM
They must have wanted someone to use it, or something..

----------

NFC is fantastic. I should have my iPhone 5C and it's the one thing I'll miss from my Nexus 4. Just tap and pay without pulling your wallet out at any US merchant that takes contactless cards. It truly is amazing, and if more merchants took contactless it'd be fantastic.

Overhyped, overrated, incredibly insecure, and not something I would use even if Apple lost their mind and convinced themselves it was anything but what it is.

SockRolid
Sep 20, 2013, 03:57 PM
That was my point. People are claiming Google is desperate but it's just a matter of them going where the money is.

Except for the whole Motorola Mobility $12.5 billion money pit thing.
Google went to where the money isn't.
MM is still bleeding cash.

----------

They must have wanted someone to use it, or something..

----------

Overhyped, overrated, incredibly insecure, and not something I would use even if Apple lost their mind and convinced themselves it was anything but what it is.

Butt-hurt much?

Michael Goff
Sep 20, 2013, 04:04 PM

----------

Butt-hurt much?

Am I the only one amused when people talk about how something is bleeding cash?

markie
Sep 20, 2013, 04:11 PM

NOT incredibly insecure at all, unlike an unencrypted (NON-EMV) contactless card, the phone payment is ONLY readable with the screen on and wallet app unlocked. VERY secure.

Plutonius
Sep 20, 2013, 04:12 PM

All companies have failures. You can't make money unless you take risk.

gmcalpin
Sep 21, 2013, 02:32 AM
If we're talking about PayPal alternatives, I want Dwolla to take off. FREE transactions under $10; 25 for ANY other amount. It's an internet merchant's wet dream… but nobody uses it.

----------

- We don't need any of Samsung's "Innovations" such as that fly over finger tech, eye gesture? - as those features are jus gimmicks and nothing more.
I have to disagree with you on this. (The rest of your post, I agree with.)

The fly-over finger tech has crazy potential — and eye gestures raise some interesting possibilities, too.

I don't know how well they're implemented on Samsung's stuff, and maybe they're gimmicky there, but the very fine-line difference between a gimmick and a good idea isn't what it does but why it does it.

SockRolid
Sep 21, 2013, 05:32 PM
All companies have failures. You can't make money unless you take risk.

Google has apparently forgotten that time-honored phrase: "due diligence."
As in carefully reviewing Motorola Mobility's past, current, and future business plans.
As in carefully reviewing MM's patent portfolio (which was the real reason for the acquisition.)
And who knows what else Google forgot to do with respect to "due diligence."

And why would any corporation bother with all that hard stuff?
Because some risks are better than others.
Better to minimize the risks and/or get a clear understanding of the risks.
Too much money at stake to just goof around and try random tactics.

aquadisiac
Sep 21, 2013, 06:22 PM
definitely not giving google access to my finances.

disinfectant
Sep 23, 2013, 01:33 AM

Venmo! Well at least for peer to peer.

markie
Sep 23, 2013, 03:17 AM
What I laugh at is the NFC hate on here just cause Apple doesn't have it. If Apple added it this release, everyone would be gushing over it. I'm sorry, I LOVE my new iPhone 5C but NFC is BY FAR the Android feature I miss most. It's so nice. Tap a friend's phone to send them your contact info. Or a picture (when combined with Bluetooth). Tap a PIN pad to pay at the store without even digging in your purse. Look at Japan where a proprietary contactless system can be used to pay for almost everything. It's one of the things people DON'T like about iPhones there. And Americans wouldn't either if they knew.

Obviously, I find the platform as a whole far better thus why I decided to get the 5C. But don't kid yourself, NFC, especially NFC contactless payment, is freaking amazing.

Surreal
Sep 23, 2013, 09:50 AM
NFC might be nice with Touch ID. I actually hoped that both would make it into this generation. TouchID to verify purchase.

It might happen next year. I imaging that Apple would want to vet one technology at a time and Touch ID has more whiz bang.

alent1234
Sep 23, 2013, 09:56 AM
What I laugh at is the NFC hate on here just cause Apple doesn't have it. If Apple added it this release, everyone would be gushing over it. I'm sorry, I LOVE my new iPhone 5C but NFC is BY FAR the Android feature I miss most. It's so nice. Tap a friend's phone to send them your contact info. Or a picture (when combined with Bluetooth). Tap a PIN pad to pay at the store without even digging in your purse. Look at Japan where a proprietary contactless system can be used to pay for almost everything. It's one of the things people DON'T like about iPhones there. And Americans wouldn't either if they knew.

Obviously, I find the platform as a whole far better thus why I decided to get the 5C. But don't kid yourself, NFC, especially NFC contactless payment, is freaking amazing.

you can text a contact from your iphone in 2 seconds. no point in touching the phones

markie
Sep 23, 2013, 11:05 AM
you can text a contact from your iphone in 2 seconds. no point in touching the phones

NFC is MUCH more reliable and doesn't involve typing a number.

CKA
Sep 25, 2013, 03:56 AM
Google goes anywhere it can make a profit.

----------

Send some to me to see how well it works :D.

I think not exactly. Google go all the way that it can collect your privacy information and sell to its client . :D