PDA

View Full Version : Google Releases New Universal 'Quickoffice' iOS App for Free

MacRumors
Sep 19, 2013, 02:03 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/19/google-releases-new-universal-quickoffice-ios-app-for-free/)

Google today announced (http://googledrive.blogspot.com/2013/09/freeing-quickoffice-for-everyone.html) plans to make its Quickoffice software free to all users. Quickoffice, which was reintroduced on iOS last year after Google purchased the software company, is designed to allow Google users to view and edit Microsoft Office files. Google's decision to make Quickoffice available for free comes after Apple announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/iwork-iphoto-and-imovie-for-ios-go-free-with-purchase-of-a-new-device/) that its own iWork software (along with iPhoto and iMovie) would be provided for free with new iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches.

Google is introducing a newly unified Quickoffice app that supports both the iPad and the iPhone. The app also integrates with Google Drive storage, letting users save and access files from anywhere. Previous versions of Quickoffice have been removed from the App Store, and Google is encouraging existing users (https://support.google.com/quickoffice/answer/3339144) to download the new app.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/09/quickoffice.jpgEveryone likes free stuff, which is why starting today we're making Quickoffice available for free, for everyone. With Quickoffice, you can edit Microsoft® Office documents across your devices, giving you the freedom to work with anyone no matter what hardware or software they're using.

Quickoffice also integrates seamlessly with Google Drive storage so you can safely access your files from anywhere. And while the easiest thing to do is simply convert your old files to Google Docs, Sheets and Slides, Quickoffice gives you another way to work with people who haven't gone Google yet.Google's newly released Quickoffice app also offers a number of new features, including a refreshed icon, the ability to create .ZIP folders, and view charts in Excel and PowerPoint files.

Google is giving users who sign into their Google Accounts from the Quickoffice app by September 26, 2013 an extra 10GB of Google Drive storage for the next two years.

Quickoffice (http://appshopper.com/business/quickoffice-exclusively-for-google-apps-for-business) can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quickoffice/id578386521?mt=8)]

Article Link: Google Releases New Universal 'Quickoffice' iOS App for Free (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/19/google-releases-new-universal-quickoffice-ios-app-for-free/)

Mad Mac Maniac
Sep 19, 2013, 02:06 PM
Software is quickly becomming commoditized... Not good news for microsoft, I guess that's why they are becoming a product and services company.

RCS31
Sep 19, 2013, 02:09 PM
Doesn't look as advanced as some apps, don't reallyyyyyy see a point in this!

spyguy10709
Sep 19, 2013, 02:10 PM
The software was already fantastic. Now that it's free and comes with 10 gigs of drive storage? So awesome.

Jack97
Sep 19, 2013, 02:11 PM
2009 called:

They want their app design back.

street.cory
Sep 19, 2013, 02:12 PM
I'm glad Google is competing directly with Apple on the iPhone.

teknikal90
Sep 19, 2013, 02:14 PM
no dropbox? :(
why no dropbox love

seamer
Sep 19, 2013, 02:16 PM
no dropbox? :(
why no dropbox love

Why support Dropbox when it's a G-App?

Anyway; I signed in and didn't see extra storage. Might be time delayed?

ugahairydawgs
Sep 19, 2013, 02:19 PM

Something they already had....so it didn't really cost them anything.

Just another product for Google to eventually toss out with the trash in one of their spring cleaning sessions.

spillproof
Sep 19, 2013, 02:23 PM
Proper MS Office editing linked to my Drive account, yes please!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/6292b5f61e06633cd42c803025853f3a/tumblr_mm6o9mmycZ1qkbfv3o1_250.gif

teknikal90
Sep 19, 2013, 02:26 PM
Why support Dropbox when it's a G-App?

Anyway; I signed in and didn't see extra storage. Might be time delayed?

cause they can still get their app across without having to pay for our storage?

Babomancer
Sep 19, 2013, 02:34 PM

This is now the only free ios app that supports proper editing of MS office files. This is a very big deal.

Plutonius
Sep 19, 2013, 02:35 PM
I will try it out unless you need a Google account to use it.

ugahairydawgs
Sep 19, 2013, 02:36 PM
cause they can still get their app across without having to pay for our storage?

They don't care about you using their app. Their #1 focus is getting your data so they can sell ads. The app is just another avenue for them to get there.

Making it easier for you to use Dropbox is of no concern to them.

The Economist
Sep 19, 2013, 02:45 PM
iWork should've been free for people upgrading to iOS 7 too.

abz1981
Sep 19, 2013, 02:49 PM
I will try it out unless you need a Google account to use it.

I think with all google products you will need a google account.

Ferc Kast
Sep 19, 2013, 02:54 PM
This is now the only free ios app that supports proper editing of MS office files. This is a very big deal.

Aside from iWork being free for new iOS devices, yes. ;)

olowott
Sep 19, 2013, 02:55 PM
Wow , google is on the move since iOS 7 got released. :rolleyes:

Redbeard25
Sep 19, 2013, 03:07 PM
Is this better than their Google drive app?

bozzykid
Sep 19, 2013, 03:11 PM
Is this better than their Google drive app?

No, it is supplemental. This is for people who still have to deal in MS Office files. So if you want you can store your Office files on Drive and open them through QuickOffice. This way you don't have to deal in conversion issues.

bkribbs
Sep 19, 2013, 03:16 PM
Aside from iWork being free for new iOS devices, yes. ;)

Too bad iWork isn't free...

nickXedge
Sep 19, 2013, 03:19 PM
Is anyone else having trouble downloading this or any free apps for that matter? Updated to ios7 last night. When I click free it changes to install and when I click that it loads for a sec and goes back to free. Sometimes it verifies my iTunes password. Won't download though. Tried closing the app in multi tasking and restarted my phone. What gives?

jent
Sep 19, 2013, 03:23 PM
I signed in and didn't see extra storage. Might be time delayed?
Same here. I'm a sucker for free cloud storage space (I'm at 26.1GB with Dropbox) but I installed the app and logged in yet don't see any additional Google cloud space. Anyone know when it kicks in?

dustinsc
Sep 19, 2013, 03:25 PM

Except it apparently does not handle footnotes very well. Without footnotes, it's hardly a modern word processor.

Razeus
Sep 19, 2013, 03:25 PM
Same here. I'm a sucker for free cloud storage space (I'm at 26.1GB with Dropbox) but I installed the app and logged in yet don't see any additional Google cloud space. Anyone know when it kicks in?

Google+ page says it'll appear over the next couple of weeks.

pubwvj
Sep 19, 2013, 03:50 PM
Quickoffice also integrates seamlessly with Google Drive storage so you can safely access your files from anywhere

And Google has a long history of abandoning products such that I try to avoid them now.

BerlingerT
Sep 19, 2013, 03:50 PM
This is huge. The formatting options aren't really extensive, but I love this. It lets you save and email Office 2007+ files (Word, Powerpoint, Excel), can back up on Google Drive, and can work while offline. Once I logged in with my Google account, I turned off my Wifi and it still opens and works great when offline. That is a huge deal, to me.

You also have the option of opening files in it from the Mail app.

The fact that this is free is great.

F123D
Sep 19, 2013, 03:56 PM
Downloaded. Thanks, Google.

theBB
Sep 19, 2013, 03:56 PM
Offline access or editing?

BerlingerT
Sep 19, 2013, 03:58 PM
Offline access or editing?

I tested and once you log in the first time, you can open it and do anything you want (Other than backing up in Google Drive or Emailing documents) when offline.

Razeus
Sep 19, 2013, 04:12 PM
Quickoffice also integrates seamlessly with Google Drive storage so you can safely access your files from anywhere

And Google has a long history of abandoning products such that I try to avoid them now.

The only abandon the ones that aren't really popular or redundant. I wish you guys get over it already. Life would be much more enjoyable for you.

macnisse
Sep 19, 2013, 04:24 PM
Swell!

Cartoonkid
Sep 19, 2013, 04:29 PM
Except it apparently does not handle footnotes very well. Without footnotes, it's hardly a modern word processor.

Also, their Excel editor is garbage. Only the most basic functions are available, and forget about formatting.

I realize this is a mobile app and will never be as powerful as Excel, but it's so limited, it's painfully frustrating to use.

BerlingerT
Sep 19, 2013, 04:59 PM
Also, their Excel editor is garbage. Only the most basic functions are available, and forget about formatting.

I realize this is a mobile app and will never be as powerful as Excel, but it's so limited, it's painfully frustrating to use.

You should also remember that this app is Free, whereas an Office Suite is around $130.

cmwade77
Sep 19, 2013, 05:20 PM
I'm glad Google is competing directly with Apple on the iPhone.

I agree and it doesn't matter if your prefer iPhone or Android, the competition is good for us, the consumers.

By the way, there are a few free Apps out there that can edit Office documents, but most of them have a paid upgrade option.

Westside guy
Sep 19, 2013, 05:47 PM
Apple really needs to get on the ball with iCloud and give us a way to share documents with other iCloud users. I like the iWork apps, but there are just too many times I can't use them because currently the "file sharing" model (read: email the document to the other person) is stuck in 1990.

John.B
Sep 19, 2013, 09:21 PM
So why, exactly, do you have to login with a Google account to use this app?

cubedweller
Sep 19, 2013, 10:27 PM
So why, exactly, do you have to login with a Google account to use this app?

Because ... free? How do you think Google makes its money?

Black Magic
Sep 19, 2013, 11:11 PM
It's weird, I moved away completely from all Google Apps including GMail recently, but then I see this and it's tempting.

Naaaaa, I'm good.

Solomani
Sep 20, 2013, 12:39 AM
Quickoffice... I wonder if this is what Microsoft Office Mobile should have been? Or not even in the same league as MS Office-anything?

JulianL
Sep 20, 2013, 03:19 AM
Hmmm. Google seem to have pretty much killed Quickoffice with this release. As someone who paid for Quickoffice Pro HD, which Google have pulled from the app store, this free version is a poor substitute.

When opening an Excel format spreadsheet stored on Google Drive the app now says I can view it in QuickOffice but if I want to edit it I have to open it in the Google Drive app whereas before I could edit it directly in QuickOffice Pro. Also, they're removed support for Dropbox, Box, Evernote, Catch, SugarSync, Huddle and Egnyte. It makes me wonder what other features I'd find have been taken out if I were to use it much more.

I'd hoped when the iPad first came out, perhaps rather naively, that having QuickOffice and Dataviz (both independent at the time) as the two big players in the mobile office suite market would create a sort of arms race between them and mean that the products would evolve very rapidly. In fact the pace of innovation has been pretty pathetic and with QuickOffice now seeming to go backwards, and Dataviz's DocumentsToGo now owned by RIM and hardly ever being updated on iOS, I can't see the situation improving.

I much preferred QuickOffice's UI but it isn't an all-in-one solution anymore so I think DocumentsToGo needs to get promoted to my home screen as my primary office app now.

As an added insult the new QuickOffice doesn't present itself as a target for an "Open In..." operation from the old QuickOffice HD Pro app and of course it doesn't offer to import any files held locally in the old QuickOffice HD Pro app (maybe iOS restrictions prevent that) so I've yet to work out a good way to get my old files stored locally in the new app if was going to carry on using it.

It's bye bye to QuickOffice for me I think.

Cartoonkid
Sep 20, 2013, 03:50 AM
You should also remember that this app is Free, whereas an Office Suite is around $130.

I paid something like $15 for Quickoffice a few years ago, so my experience is with the paid version, not the Google-bastardized version.

And I'm not asking to have all the functionality of MS Office. Just the normal stuff that practically every spreadsheet user needs.

Regardless, what good is an app with so little functionality? For all that it can do, I could just type numbers into an email and add them up in my head.

WilliamLondon
Sep 20, 2013, 06:46 AM
Too bad iWork isn't free...

I'm sure it's just a matter of time, I completely expected it to be free at some point and this probably will only accelerate that.

TJ61
Sep 20, 2013, 08:51 AM
Wow, I musta been under a rock. I'm still using Quickoffice Pro HD, and don't even recall hearing about the Google take over. :confused:

If I download this new app, I wonder if my iPad will see it as a completely separate app, or if it'll overwrite my Pro HD app. It'd be nice to try before I "buy", so to speak. Anyone out there have any experience with this?

BTW, free storage for a limited time is not free storage so much as an underhanded way to sell storage 2 years from now.

kevinof
Sep 20, 2013, 09:48 AM
maybe but I suspect that in 2 years the default entry (free) point for Google drive, box, dropbox etc will be at least 50GB so I'm not going to worry about it.

BTW, free storage for a limited time is not free storage so much as an underhanded way to sell storage 2 years from now.

typeadam
Sep 20, 2013, 10:07 AM
Wow some of you are such bitter snobs. Get over it.
Google this and Google that and Google molests my data and Google ate my dog and Google stole my wife...
MS Office - great; iWorks - great; Quickoffice - great; 3 different "office" methods to choose from yet some people...never happy.

bkribbs
Sep 20, 2013, 11:11 AM
I'm sure it's just a matter of time, I completely expected it to be free at some point and this probably will only accelerate that.

Actually it is free... oops...

Michael Goff
Sep 20, 2013, 11:21 AM

And you get what you pay for in this case, when it comes to QuickOffice.

Renzatic
Sep 20, 2013, 11:29 AM

The only two products I can think of that they've abandoned that ended up being controversial were Wave and Reader. Of those two, only Reader had achieved any sort of widespread popularity, and even that was pretty fringe.

If it ends up being widely used, Google won't abandon it. Since Drive is not only looking pretty popular, but also tied in closely with a bunch of their Android services, I seriously doubt they're gonna drop it.

Michael Goff
Sep 20, 2013, 11:31 AM
The only two products I can think of that they've abandoned that ended up being controversial were Wave and Reader. Of those two, only Reader had achieved any sort of widespread popularity, and even that was pretty fringe.

If it ends up being widely used, Google won't abandon it. Since Drive is not only looking pretty popular, but also tied in closely with a bunch of their Android services, I seriously doubt they're gonna drop it.

What about a year from now when they finally integrate everything from QuickOffice with their Drive App and decide to discontinue QuickOffice? It could very well happen.

Renzatic
Sep 20, 2013, 11:41 AM
What about a year from now when they finally integrate everything from QuickOffice with their Drive App and decide to discontinue QuickOffice? It could very well happen.

That wouldn't be all that terrible, since you're not losing anything in the conversion. You've still got the same functionality you had before, and access to your same files, just in a different app.

Michael Goff
Sep 20, 2013, 12:26 PM
That wouldn't be all that terrible, since you're not losing anything in the conversion. You've still got the same functionality you had before, and access to your same files, just in a different app.

Well, more or less the same functionality.

GDocs has a horrible interface and we'd all have to go to that. Not that this has an amazing interface anyway.

Renzatic
Sep 20, 2013, 12:40 PM
Well, more or less the same functionality.

GDocs has a horrible interface and we'd all have to go to that. Not that this has an amazing interface anyway.

I think it all depends on if Google things they can get any benefit out of it, for themselves, or their users.

It's very possible they could do something boneheaded and gimp it up to the point it's nothing more than a glorified GDocs just because they can. But if they do happen to do something boneheaded, everyone has some other option to fall back on. If you don't want to use QuickOffice, you can use Pages with iCloud support, or any of the other dozens of word processors out for iOS that support Dropbox and more. I think Google knows this, which makes them less likely to do something extreme unless it gives their app a huge advantage in functionality or ease of use.

Michael Goff
Sep 20, 2013, 12:47 PM
I think it all depends on if Google things they can get any benefit out of it, for themselves, or their users.

It's very possible they could do something boneheaded and gimp it up to the point it's nothing more than a glorified GDocs just because they can. But if they do happen to do something boneheaded, everyone has some other option to fall back on. If you don't want to use QuickOffice, you can use Pages with iCloud support, or any of the other dozens of word processors out for iOS that support Dropbox and more. I think Google knows this, which makes them less likely to do something extreme unless it gives their app a huge advantage in functionality or ease of use.

Or, it could be because... overall, Google doesn't do interfaces well. They hit gold every once in a while, but sometimes they just aren't all that good. I'm looking at you, Google Currents, GMail, obviously GDocs, and the web version of Drive. :|

bozzykid
Sep 20, 2013, 12:56 PM

So what? This app is for editing MS Office files directly. If this app ends, you still have the MS Office files you can access from any app that supports it. There's no way Drive is going to end but Quickoffice provides a way to not deal with converting files to Google Docs format which is important for some people. Quickoffice doesn't even require you to buy into any particular ecosystem except for MS Office.

Renzatic
Sep 20, 2013, 12:59 PM
Or, it could be because... overall, Google doesn't do interfaces well. They hit gold every once in a while, but sometimes they just aren't all that good. I'm looking at you, Google Currents, GMail, obviously GDocs, and the web version of Drive. :|

Yeah, but that's an entirely separate issue. One of the reasons I think Google won't mess with this all that much is that they realize GDocs is pretty limited compared to what the competition is offering, and they need a standalone product to compete.

I'm not saying they won't do something weird and dumb, because every company out there is capable of thinking a bad idea sounds like a good one. I'm saying that they probably won't because they know their strengths and weaknesses, and know there's always some other product breathing down their necks, ready to pick up their audience the moment they fail.

Michael Goff
Sep 20, 2013, 03:40 PM
And... for some reason you can't edit Google's own format. As in... I went to go open up a document I made on Google Docs and got told it's view only. If I want to edit, I need to have Google Drive installed.

:|

What?

phoenixsan
Sep 20, 2013, 10:27 PM
another time stealing the thunder a little bit from Apple.Very true in this case, if the free iLife/iWork offer only applies to new devices.....No matters the QuickOffice only lets see the files. On the run, many times one only needs to see the Microsoft things......:(

:):apple:

jwilson25
Sep 21, 2013, 09:44 PM
So they took a perfectly working app, dumbed it down and removed printing support. WTF?

I would love to go back to DocsToGo, but they have pitiful support as well and still no printing option. I understanding printing is not as widespread as it was a few years ago,, but I'd like support for it there. Looks like SmartOffice is the only one fitting the bill so I'll switch to that for now.

AppleMacDudeG4
Sep 21, 2013, 09:49 PM
2009 called:

They want their app design back.

Leave a message after the beep.

BerlingerT
Sep 21, 2013, 10:47 PM
So they took a perfectly working app, dumbed it down and removed printing support. WTF?

They didn't remove printer support. I just checked the app, myself, and there is a print option there in the top-right corner of the screen when you have a document open.

JulianL
Sep 22, 2013, 10:22 AM
Wow, I musta been under a rock. I'm still using Quickoffice Pro HD, and don't even recall hearing about the Google take over. :confused:

If I download this new app, I wonder if my iPad will see it as a completely separate app, or if it'll overwrite my Pro HD app. It'd be nice to try before I "buy", so to speak. Anyone out there have any experience with this?

I've done just that. It shows up as two completely separate apps, each with it's own icon. Essentially your existing Pro HD app is left exactly as it was and a band new dumbed-down app for QuickOffice is installed as well.

I had hoped that, if I went into my old Pro HD app and did an "Open in..." operation on the docs I had stored, the newly installed Google dumbed-down variant of QuickOffice would at least register itself as an opener of the docs so that I could easily transfer some files from the old app to the new app but they are so separate that the new app won't even accept an "Open in..." request from the older version.

Also be aware that the old Pro HD version is now withdrawn from the app store so be very careful not to delete any locally stored copy if you want to carry on using it. I'm probably going to switch to DocsToGo (which I also bought) but for now I intend to carry on using the old Pro HD version of QuickOffice.

TJ61
Sep 22, 2013, 01:03 PM
I've done just that. It shows up as two completely separate apps, each with it's own icon. Essentially your existing Pro HD app is left exactly as it was and a band new dumbed-down app for QuickOffice is installed as well.

Thanks for the info -- just what I wanted to know.

But based on what I'm hearing, I guess I'm in no rush to try out the new version, and will try to be careful with the ProHD app.

numlock
Sep 22, 2013, 01:22 PM
as a google docs user as well as an occasional drive app user this app is quite disappointed but i guess im not the target audience.

i wonder why they dont merge the two into one app.

does anyone know exactly what google has implemented from quickoffice into their products?

albusseverus
Sep 22, 2013, 07:17 PM
Wow. I can edit Office documents AND send all my data to Google at the same time.

This is way better than stabbing myself in the eye, then stabbing myself in the hand.

Way better.

jwilson25
Sep 22, 2013, 11:20 PM
They didn't remove printer support. I just checked the app, myself, and there is a print option there in the top-right corner of the screen when you have a document open.

OK, I stand corrected. I tried the sample documents and those could be edited and printed as before. But the documents I already have in the cloud won't show the editing or printer icons. If I drag the sample docs to the cloud they still work, so it must hate the documents I have there for some reason.

Michael Goff
Sep 23, 2013, 09:41 AM
Wow. I can edit Office documents AND send all my data to Google at the same time.

This is way better than stabbing myself in the eye, then stabbing myself in the hand.

Way better.

Oh boy, another person who is obsessed with "but my data". If you're on the internet, somebody is getting your data. ;)

Arran
Sep 23, 2013, 01:04 PM
Oh boy, another person who is obsessed with "but my data". If you're on the internet, somebody is getting your data. ;)
Possibly. But why make it easy for them?

I've been a paid user of QuickOffice for years. I like the fact that certain confidential info stays on my phone and my mac and doesn't go into a cloud somewhere.

Time to migrate to something else, I guess.

(BTW: Didn't know Google had acquired QuickOffice, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.)

theBB
Sep 25, 2013, 11:25 AM
I tested and once you log in the first time, you can open it and do anything you want (Other than backing up in Google Drive or Emailing documents) when offline.
Awesome, thanks.

bhonder
Oct 1, 2013, 07:46 PM
Am I the only one who can't save to, or modify from, documents directly in google drive? The documentation say it's possible but it doesn't work, at least for me.