PDA

View Full Version : AirDrop Questins

TrenttonY
Sep 19, 2013, 02:19 PM
How do you change your name in AirDrop? Is it what your name is in "about" in settings? Also how do you put your picture on the circle? Does AirDrop only work when the other persons screen is unlocked? Looked like that from today's testing. And finally the "contact only" option how does that work?

gvegastiger
Sep 19, 2013, 02:37 PM
I can't get Airdrop to work with my wife's iPhone. We are both on 7 and we are both in each other's phones as contacts, however when I turn Airdrop on both phones and say Share with Contacts only, I can't share with her as she doesn't pop up. Only when I say share with Everyone do I see her.

I've made sure we are both in iCloud, and I even deleted each other as contacts, and then shared them with each phone again to make sure that they are up to date. But still nothing.

Is there some small setting I'm missing somewhere? Could it be the wrong email address or something? Does anyone know how Airdrop identifies a device as belonging to one of my contacts?

----------

I can't get Airdrop to work with my wife's iPhone. We are both on 7 and we are both in each other's phones as contacts, however when I turn Airdrop on both phones and say Share with Contacts only, I can't share with her as she doesn't pop up. Only when I say share with Everyone do I see her.

I've made sure we are both in iCloud, and I even deleted each other as contacts, and then shared them with each phone again to make sure that they are up to date. But still nothing.

Is there some small setting I'm missing somewhere? Could it be the wrong email address or something? Does anyone know how Airdrop identifies a device as belonging to one of my contacts?

TrenttonY
Sep 19, 2013, 02:41 PM
Idk

TheKrs1
Sep 19, 2013, 02:44 PM
How do you change your name in AirDrop? Is it what your name is in "about" in settings? Also how do you put your picture on the circle? Does AirDrop only work when the other persons screen is unlocked? Looked like that from today's testing. And finally the "contact only" option how does that work?

Your name is derived from the Contact Card that has been set as "you". If your name and photo is there, it will be displayed via Airdrop.

I believe airdrop is always running, but it might take longer to find someone if their device is not active.

If you select "contact only" airdrop will only share it's capabilities with people that are in your address book.

----------

I believe that it uses the same information that is registered with iMessage, but it could be limited to the logged in iCloud e-mail address. Do you both have each others iCloud e-mails in the respective slots in your opposites contact cards?

Do you both have wifi and bluetooth enabled? Additionally, try just turning airdrop on for everyone and see if you appear on the others device.

Try this link for info:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2048737/get-to-know-ios-7-airdrop.html

TrenttonY
Sep 19, 2013, 02:51 PM
I still don't get contacts part. How does it know?

TheKrs1
Sep 19, 2013, 02:57 PM
I still don't get contacts part. How does it know?
It knows all of the contacts on your device. It will then only connect to other AirDrop enabled devices that are broadcasting an iCloud address that you have listed in one of your contacts.

So:
If you have bill@me.com under Bill Stevens in your address book, but don't have an e-mail address for Susan Stevens in your address book, here is how it would work.

Bill's iDevice could see you via AirDrop.
Susan's iDevice could not see you via AirDrop.
My (or anyone elses) iDevice could not see you via AirDrop.

ellelittle
Sep 19, 2013, 02:58 PM

My husband and I have the same exact problem, we've tried it with our iPhone 5's and iPad 4's. We can only get it to work if at least one of us has airdrop set to everyone. We are both signed into iCloud and we both have our primary Apple ID email addresses listed under each others contact information. Not sure what we are doing wrong.

TheKrs1
Sep 19, 2013, 03:01 PM
My husband and I have the same exact problem, we've tried it with our iPhone 5's and iPad 4's. We can only get it to work if at least one of us has airdrop set to everyone. We are both signed into iCloud and we both have our primary Apple ID email addresses listed under each others contact information. Not sure what we are doing wrong.

Sounds like you have it configured right. Just double check that the account in Settings --> iCloud is the same e-mail you have saved in eachother's contact cards.

ellelittle
Sep 19, 2013, 03:14 PM
Sounds like you have it configured right. Just double check that the account in Settings --> iCloud is the same e-mail you have saved in eachother's contact cards.

Thanks this was the problem, my husband didn't have my iCloud address listed.

I also found that both device needs to be awake to see one another, this may be completely obvious to everyone else but I had not bothered to check that.

gvegastiger
Sep 20, 2013, 02:06 PM
I still can't get it to work. Here's how we are setup (using fake names of course).

Jon Smith and Susan Smith are trying to share by contacts only.

Jon Smith has Susan Smith as a contact in his iPhone 5 with Susan's iCloud email address (pulled from Susan's iCloud settings app listed under Settings>iCloud>Account Screen next to Mail label). In John's contacts app Susan's email address is labeled as iCloud.

Susan Smith has John Smith as a contact in her iPhone 5 with John's iCloud email address (pulled from John's iCloud settings app listed under Settings>iCloud>Account Screen next to Mail label). In Susan's contacts app John's email address is labeled as iCloud.

Both John and Susan have Airdrop turned on and set to Contacts Only. However they cannot share in either direction.

So, what did we do wrong, or did we do anything wrong?

Philotech
Sep 25, 2013, 03:19 AM
Does anyone here actually KNOW what the requirements are? I tried several scenarios yesterday without consistent results, which leaves me puzzled:

Both me and my wife have each other (along with the other's Apple ID) in our contacts on the iPhone / iPad. However, these contacts are Google-synced CardDAV accounts. With AirDrop set to Friends Only, we cannot see each other. With AirDrop set to All, we can see each other, but with no contact photo or initials.
Subsequently, I turned on iCloud Contacts and populated our respective iCloud Address Book with the other's contact data including the Apple ID. Now first AirDrop (with visibility set to All) showed the contact photos, but after a few seconds the photos disappeared any only the respective initials were shown ("HS" or "WS")

Btw my wife and I both use the same Apple ID for iTunes, Photostream, Documents, FindMyPhone, Backup etc., but a second individual ID for Reminders and Friends. None is used for Contacts or Mail, but for my tests I added the contact details and IDs (2nd bullet point above) to each individual's contacts and turned Contact sync on only for the individual account.

Anyway, couldn't make any sense out of it, and didn't want to spend more time on trying this out with far too many variables...

But maybe there is someone smarter or with more knowledge out here...

SnowDX
Oct 27, 2013, 07:00 PM
This might not be the problem anyone else was having, but on the off chance it helps someone...I was trying to AirDrop a photo to my daughter who we both have each other as contacts. We couldn't see each other. So, I tried to send a contact and then I could see her. It ends up that she had "photo sharing" turned off in her iCloud settings and this prohibited AirDrop for photos as well. She though it only had to do with PhotoStream (as did I). Apparently not.

So, if you've only tried AirDropping photos, check if you both have Photo Sharing turned on.