PDA

View Full Version : FaceTime bug or by design?

Pagemakers
Sep 19, 2013, 02:49 PM
Prior to iOS 7 you could select if you wanted to FaceTime somebody's phone number or email address. Now that option seems to have disappeared and both the email and number receive the call.

If I turn the phone number receiving address off on my iPad the FaceTime call still rings.

The problem with this is now my iPad rings with EVERY FaceTime call to my mobile. The only way to prevent this is to turn off FaceTime on my iPad. In fact the same thing happens on my Mac now, so I have had to turn that off too!

In a nutshell, how can I FaceTime just a phone number and not email address in iOS 7?

Pagemakers
Sep 20, 2013, 06:06 AM
Anybody?

Eresin
Sep 20, 2013, 06:23 AM
if you go to Settings > Facetime there will be a bit which sayss:

"YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT" and then below is it the different ways, so email, phone number etc. I would guess that on the iPad you would just remove the mobile number

Pagemakers
Sep 20, 2013, 06:28 AM
I know this. This is not the problem.

The problem is with the FT app itself. You can not longer tell it to call email or phone number it calls EVERYTHING, so even if you set your iPad only respond to email calls, if somebody used the iOS 7 FT app it will call you anyway.

Now when somebody calls me my iPhone, iPad, Mac and laptop all ring. This doesn't happen if you initiate the FT call from a non-iOS 7 device.

pmontanarella
Sep 20, 2013, 06:57 AM
Prior to iOS 7 you could select if you wanted to FaceTime somebody's phone number or email address. Now that option seems to have disappeared and both the email and number receive the call.

If I turn the phone number receiving address off on my iPad the FaceTime call still rings.

The problem with this is now my iPad rings with EVERY FaceTime call to my mobile. The only way to prevent this is to turn off FaceTime on my iPad. In fact the same thing happens on my Mac now, so I have had to turn that off too!

In a nutshell, how can I FaceTime just a phone number and not email address in iOS 7?

To answer the question in your title, it's by design. And to answer the question in your post, well, I don't think you can.

Sorry

Pagemakers
Sep 20, 2013, 07:23 AM
Thanks but I think the system is now crazy. Now every device you possess will ring when somebody FaceTimes you. For me that's 5 devices.

I must remember to pack them all when I go travelling!!

Small White Car
Sep 20, 2013, 07:31 AM
Thanks but I think the system is now crazy. Now every device you possess will ring when somebody FaceTimes you. For me that's 5 devices.

I must remember to pack them all when I go travelling!!

The current system allows the receiver to determine what rings.

Your suggested system would allow the caller to determine what rings.

I think Apple made the right choice here. I don't want to give that control to anyone and everyone who decides to call me. That should be my choice, not theirs.

Pagemakers
Sep 20, 2013, 07:43 AM
You are still missing the point....

Prior to iOS 7, you could FaceTime from your phone and you could contact the recipient by any of their phone numbers or email addresses.

You could set up your devices to only receive calls via your email address for example.

Now all that is not possible because the new iOS 7 face time app does not let the caller decide which of the recipient's contact details to initiate the call. Consequently, if they have 4 email addresses and 3 phone numbers for you in their address book for you FaceTime will call them all.

So say on your Mac, iPad and Laptop, you set them up so you can only be contacted by email. Now whenever anybody uses iOS 7 to contact you these devices will all ring because the app calls everything.

Unless the user is initiating the call via a non iOS 7 device, whatever you set as your "YOU CAN BE REACHED BY FACETIME AT" is totally irrelevant because all items are ringing!!