PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 logic board keeps dying. Advice?

sprouticus
Nov 28, 2005, 12:53 AM
Hey everyone. My iMac's logic board recently quit out on me. It was having problems with the capacitors and the computer would have trouble starting up. So, I sent that out and got it back one week ago to the day.

So today I'm using Photoshop, and BAM the entire screen gets tinted blue. Right now, everything on my screen is tinted blue. One week after I get a brand new logic board, it craps out on me again.

I'm pretty sure it's the logic board because my mom's iBook had the same problem a few years back except her screen was pink instead of blue.

So, I'm naturally furious about this. I lost a week of work the first time this happened, and my current situation prevents me from going home to the nearby Apple store to send it back out. I am in college right now (freshly returned from Thanksgiving break), and I'm not going back home until 12/16.

I can't work like this for 3 weeks. I am stressing over what I am going to do. There's a third-party Apple store down the street from where I am, but I'm quite sure they don't accept the warranty. And even if they do, I will STILL be without my computer for a week or more, and I cannot afford that again.

So, I'm contemplating calling Apple tomorrow and demanding one of the following-

1. A new iMac
2. A loaner iMac to use until I return home for the holidays
3. The ability to get it fixed at the authorized dealer down the street and have it done within a day or 2.

I'm irate right now. I really hope Apple can satisfy my demands since I am pretty pissed at the whole situation. Do you guys have any further advice? Do you think it's a crap shoot to ask them for one of those 3 things? Help me out please. Thanks!

mad jew
Nov 28, 2005, 01:46 AM
There's really not much we can do. Call Apple and demand some loving because two bad logic boards on the same machine really isn't good enough. :(

Will Cheyney
Nov 28, 2005, 03:07 AM
How old is the iMac? If it's relatively new, you're more than entitled to demand a replacement machine.
If not, I don't know what their policy is on 'temporary' machines. Give them a call - I', sure they'll know more than us!