PDA

View Full Version : iOS7 Contacts showing ALL email addresses not just those in contacts??

qwimjim
Sep 19, 2013, 07:33 PM
My contacts are all in gmail, in iOS6 when I would compose an email and start writing someones name it would only give me choices of emails of people i had in my contacts.. now in IOS7 it gives me those plus any email address it finds in any email in my inbox.. this means that if i type "mike" it shows me every mike that every emailed me or was cc'd on an email i received instead of just showing me the 3 mikes that i have in my contacts.

i can click "delete from recents" but it would be ridiculous to have to do that for hundreds of addresses, and then they would just start accumulating again as soon as i got email from people not in my contacts..

anyone know how to fix this? it's utterly idiotic.

qwimjim
Sep 21, 2013, 08:41 AM
My contacts are all in gmail, in iOS6 when I would compose an email and start writing someones name it would only give me choices of emails of people i had in my contacts.. now in IOS7 it gives me those plus any email address it finds in any email in my inbox.. this means that if i type "mike" it shows me every mike that every emailed me or was cc'd on an email i received instead of just showing me the 3 mikes that i have in my contacts.

i can click "delete from recents" but it would be ridiculous to have to do that for hundreds of addresses, and then they would just start accumulating again as soon as i got email from people not in my contacts..

anyone know how to fix this? it's utterly idiotic.

nothing?

FranksWildYears
Sep 21, 2013, 08:46 AM
Pretty sure it did that before iOS 7. Perhaps I'm thinking of OS X though, which has definitely given you a list of previous recipients for some time.

I prefer it that way, there are plenty of people I don't necessarily consider 'contacts' who I'll email every now and again.

Unhyper
Sep 21, 2013, 09:03 AM
Until a couple of days ago, I was using Google as my email/calendar/contacts provider, and I attributed this "feature" to having something to do with Google's services. But apparently it doesn't. I am using Office 365 now, and I am still having the same problem you are. I get an email from Flickr every four months or so, to which I don't reply nor do I read it, but promptly erase. Yet Mail now offers Flickr's no-reply address as one of suggested recipients when I create a new message and type "n" to begin the name of the recipient - because the Flickr address begins with "no-reply@". This is downright idiotic. I don't even store email in Exchange, I either delete after responding, save as PDF, or forward to Evernote. I guess Mail automatically saves every address it detects in arriving, non-spam email. I wish there was some way to disable that.

Pretty sure it did that before iOS 7. Perhaps I'm thinking of OS X though, which has definitely given you a list of previous recipients for some time.

I prefer it that way, there are plenty of people I don't necessarily consider 'contacts' who I'll email every now and again.These aren't previous recipients though. That I wouldn't have a problem with.

qwimjim
Sep 21, 2013, 03:08 PM
Until a couple of days ago, I was using Google as my email/calendar/contacts provider, and I attributed this "feature" to having something to do with Google's services. But apparently it doesn't. I am using Office 365 now, and I am still having the same problem you are. I get an email from Flickr every four months or so, to which I don't reply nor do I read it, but promptly erase. Yet Mail now offers Flickr's no-reply address as one of suggested recipients when I create a new message and type "n" to begin the name of the recipient - because the Flickr address begins with "no-reply@". This is downright idiotic. I don't even store email in Exchange, I either delete after responding, save as PDF, or forward to Evernote. I guess Mail automatically saves every address it detects in arriving, non-spam email. I wish there was some way to disable that.

These aren't previous recipients though. That I wouldn't have a problem with.

exactly, it never used to do this, it's an ios 7 thing because it doesn't do it on my ipad thats running ios 6. why they would do this and not add an option to disable is mind boggling..