Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
My contacts are all in gmail, in iOS6 when I would compose an email and start writing someones name it would only give me choices of emails of people i had in my contacts.. now in IOS7 it gives me those plus any email address it finds in any email in my inbox.. this means that if i type "mike" it shows me every mike that every emailed me or was cc'd on an email i received instead of just showing me the 3 mikes that i have in my contacts.

i can click "delete from recents" but it would be ridiculous to have to do that for hundreds of addresses, and then they would just start accumulating again as soon as i got email from people not in my contacts..

anyone know how to fix this? it's utterly idiotic.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
My contacts are all in gmail, in iOS6 when I would compose an email and start writing someones name it would only give me choices of emails of people i had in my contacts.. now in IOS7 it gives me those plus any email address it finds in any email in my inbox.. this means that if i type "mike" it shows me every mike that every emailed me or was cc'd on an email i received instead of just showing me the 3 mikes that i have in my contacts.

i can click "delete from recents" but it would be ridiculous to have to do that for hundreds of addresses, and then they would just start accumulating again as soon as i got email from people not in my contacts..

anyone know how to fix this? it's utterly idiotic.

nothing?

FranksWildYears

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Pretty sure it did that before iOS 7. Perhaps I'm thinking of OS X though, which has definitely given you a list of previous recipients for some time.

I prefer it that way, there are plenty of people I don't necessarily consider 'contacts' who I'll email every now and again.

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
Until a couple of days ago, I was using Google as my email/calendar/contacts provider, and I attributed this "feature" to having something to do with Google's services. But apparently it doesn't. I am using Office 365 now, and I am still having the same problem you are. I get an email from Flickr every four months or so, to which I don't reply nor do I read it, but promptly erase. Yet Mail now offers Flickr's no-reply address as one of suggested recipients when I create a new message and type "n" to begin the name of the recipient - because the Flickr address begins with "no-reply@". This is downright idiotic. I don't even store email in Exchange, I either delete after responding, save as PDF, or forward to Evernote. I guess Mail automatically saves every address it detects in arriving, non-spam email. I wish there was some way to disable that.

Pretty sure it did that before iOS 7. Perhaps I'm thinking of OS X though, which has definitely given you a list of previous recipients for some time.

I prefer it that way, there are plenty of people I don't necessarily consider 'contacts' who I'll email every now and again.
These aren't previous recipients though. That I wouldn't have a problem with.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Until a couple of days ago, I was using Google as my email/calendar/contacts provider, and I attributed this "feature" to having something to do with Google's services. But apparently it doesn't. I am using Office 365 now, and I am still having the same problem you are. I get an email from Flickr every four months or so, to which I don't reply nor do I read it, but promptly erase. Yet Mail now offers Flickr's no-reply address as one of suggested recipients when I create a new message and type "n" to begin the name of the recipient - because the Flickr address begins with "no-reply@". This is downright idiotic. I don't even store email in Exchange, I either delete after responding, save as PDF, or forward to Evernote. I guess Mail automatically saves every address it detects in arriving, non-spam email. I wish there was some way to disable that.

These aren't previous recipients though. That I wouldn't have a problem with.

exactly, it never used to do this, it's an ios 7 thing because it doesn't do it on my ipad thats running ios 6. why they would do this and not add an option to disable is mind boggling..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.