PDA

View Full Version : FaceTime Audio data tests

tjcampbell
Sep 19, 2013, 08:24 PM
Hi there,

I travel a lot so I was curious to find out how much data FaceTime audio used.

I made a thirty-five minute call to my sister who was unaware that the real reason for my lengthy call was an experiment rather than a catch-up! :cool:

Before I initiated the FaceTime Audio call I set up a new profile using Data Monitor. As you can see it used 16.35 for 35 minutes so we're looking .47mb per minute for data on a FaceTime Audio call.

I ran this test via WiFi and I am assuming it will gain the same result over 3G and LTE, but will try that later. Or if you already have, please post your results.

Cheers, Tommy

gentlefury
Sep 19, 2013, 08:28 PM
Wow, that's really good. With even a minimum data plan that could be used LTE without an issue.

nutmac
Sep 20, 2013, 03:17 AM
I made a thirty-five minute call to my sister who was unaware that the real reason for my lengthy call was an experiment rather than a catch-up! :cool:

Before I initiated the FaceTime Audio call I set up a new profile using Data Monitor. As you can see it used 16.35 for 35 minutes so we're looking .47mb per minute for data on a FaceTime Audio call.

You could've just run the Phone app, then Recent, then "i" info icon next to FaceTim Audio call you just made. It will show you the amount of data transferred.

In my experience, I a averaging about 380 KB per minute (or 50 Kbps). I suspect it could use up to 64 Kbps.

Gav2k
Sep 20, 2013, 04:09 AM
726kB per minute

tjcampbell
Sep 23, 2013, 01:26 AM
You could've just run the Phone app, then Recent, then "i" info icon next to FaceTim Audio call you just made. It will show you the amount of data transferred.

In my experience, I a averaging about 380 KB per minute (or 50 Kbps). I suspect it could use up to 64 Kbps.

Nice one, I had no idea you could do that as this was my first call. Thanks for the cool tip man.

hafr
Sep 23, 2013, 05:19 AM
32 Kbps is generally considered very good quality VoIP, and since people say FaceTime audio is amazing, I've assumed they'd chosen a 64 Kbps codec. Incidentally, pretty much exactly the average in the OP :)

Yptcn
Sep 23, 2013, 05:55 AM
Doesn't going to Cellular network show you the same under FaceTime data ?

Gav2k
Sep 23, 2013, 07:27 AM
Doesn't going to Cellular network show you the same under FaceTime data ?

You can go into call history and tap the 'i' and it tells you how much data was used