PDA

View Full Version : SSD Failed

jbstew32
Sep 19, 2013, 09:39 PM
Sorry in advance for the long winded story...

I bought a MBA in July 2012. My LCD developed annoying white bands across it. The apple store replaced it on the spot. Awesome service!

Then about 5 months later, my computer started turning itself off when it was asleep at night. That devolved into the system not booting at all; either the gray apple screen would spin and spin, or a folder with a question mark would pop up. However, I could still boot into the recovery partition (disk utility didnt help me out unfortunately) ....and then that even quit working. Attempting to boot into the mountain lion recovery resulted into launching internet recovery.

So I took it to the apple store. The genius guy thought its the SSD (as did I), but he was worried because he had trouble even loading the diagnostic program, so he was worried it might be a bigger issue with the logic board. No problem. I am all for being thorough. It was shipped to the repair center, and immediately the status updated to, "On hold - Part on order"

It's been 3 days since that status update, and two calls to AppleCare reps have yielded answers of, "I have no idea what is being replaced. Sorry..." and "Yeah, it looks like the SSD is being replaced I think.... let me call and check. *wait 10 minutes* oh ok, yea it's the SSD. it's on order and there is no estimate for when that will come in. We really don't have any idea when it will be fixed."

two questions:

1. am i just really unlucky by having these issues with my MBA?

2. why would the Apple repair center not have spare SSDs on hand?? that seems very bizarre to me. Has anyone else experienced this?

KUNST
Sep 19, 2013, 09:51 PM
Yikes! Did you install your SSD on your own or did it come with the the MacBook? What is the manufacturer of the SSD?

jbstew32
Sep 19, 2013, 09:55 PM
Yikes! Did you install your SSD on your own or did it come with the the MacBook? What is the manufacturer of the SSD?

it's the original 128GB SSD that came with it; i'm not sure who made it.

KUNST
Sep 19, 2013, 10:01 PM
it's the original 128GB SSD that came with it; i'm not sure who made it.

Click your Apple > About This Mac > More Info... > Storage... it should tell you.

sjinsjca
Sep 19, 2013, 10:10 PM
Your experience is very unusual. I hope Apple makes it right for you having to wait for a repair.

Mac.User
Sep 19, 2013, 10:34 PM
Click your Apple > About This Mac > More Info... > Storage... it should tell you.

Hard to do that when his laptop is @ Apple for repair.

KUNST
Sep 19, 2013, 10:45 PM
hard to do that when his laptop is @ apple for repair.

lmfao

Y So Jelly
Sep 20, 2013, 12:16 AM
Hmm. These 2012 128GB models are dropping like flies. Let's hope that model is an anomaly.

calvol
Sep 20, 2013, 12:44 AM
I have a Toshiba 256 SSD in a 2010 Air that has been going strong for 2.5 years, so it must be specific to a certain type or implementation of the Toshiba 128 module.

magbarn
Sep 20, 2013, 01:18 AM
I have a Toshiba 256 SSD in a 2010 Air that has been going strong for 2.5 years, so it must be specific to a certain type or implementation of the Toshiba 128 module.

Big difference as your 2010 uses a SSD controller designed by Toshiba whilst the 2012 uses a Toshiba SSD with a SSD controller designed by Sandforce.

leeds utd fc
Sep 20, 2013, 01:25 AM
My MBA has one of the Toshiba 128GB SSDs. So far there's been no problem with it, but all these stories about failures on this particular SSD make me glad I paid extra for Apple Care.

If it is a widespread problem though, I hope Apple extend the warranty period for those without Apple Care.

Weaselboy
Sep 20, 2013, 03:19 PM
Big difference as your 2010 uses a SSD controller designed by Toshiba whilst the 2012 uses a Toshiba SSD with a SSD controller designed by Sandforce.

It is almost like someone flipped a switch two weeks ago and these things started dropping dead. :eek:

I don't recall a single failure reported in the forums until a week or so ago, then BAM!

cyber16
Sep 20, 2013, 06:44 PM
What is needed is people to look at the health of their Toshiba SSD drives and report back the last known health % to see if this has anything to do with these failures.

I have looked at several of the 2012 64GB toshiba drives, the health condition on these drives that have anywhere from under 100hrs to under 200 hours total power on time, low 90's% seems to be the norm health that i have came across.
Seems rather low for ssd devices that have about seven days +/- worth of total power-on time

PBG4 Dude
Sep 20, 2013, 06:58 PM
It is almost like someone flipped a switch two weeks ago and these things started dropping dead. :eek:

I don't recall a single failure reported in the forums until a week or so ago, then BAM!

Reports started coming in the first week of June, I know because I bought AppleCare after reading them and had to get a special waiver because I was 4 days past 1 year.

Considering the number of threads has exploded between June and now, I guess it was a good investment, although these things shouldn't be failing just after the warranty expires.

jbstew32
Sep 20, 2013, 11:30 PM
well, I can only assume there are a LOT of drives that need replacing because I am still waiting....

still on hold.

thanks for the insightful and amusing responses :)

MBHockey
Sep 21, 2013, 08:50 AM
Your experience is very unusual. I hope Apple makes it right for you having to wait for a repair.

Not really

jbstew32
Sep 21, 2013, 10:20 PM
Update: Apple says the SSD is backordered and it could be another week or longer, but at this point there is no estimate for when the repair will be completed.

terrific.

at some point it seems like it would be better to just give me a new computer and let them fix and resell my old one as refurbished.

Sonnestah
Sep 21, 2013, 11:43 PM
Mine failed two days ago as well and just like yours, a 128gb toshiba.

ffs!

jbstew32
Sep 22, 2013, 12:14 AM
Mine failed two days ago as well and just like yours, a 128gb toshiba.

ffs!

good luck! i hope you can get it replaced quicker than mine :)

coldjeanzzz
Sep 22, 2013, 09:36 AM
It's only a matter of time before it happens to mine

**** Apple for shipping MBAs with that piece of garbage SSD

I remember even when I got it, I was so pissed off

alphaod
Sep 25, 2013, 02:44 AM
Once in a while there is a bad apple.

My old iMac had been trouble free to 5 years before I sold it.

On the other handle I had a MacBook Pro that needed constant repairs. After the third repair, Apple replaced it with a new one and that one was trouble free until I sold it for the next model.

magbarn
Sep 25, 2013, 11:11 AM
Once in a while there is a bad apple.

My old iMac had been trouble free to 5 years before I sold it.

On the other handle I had a MacBook Pro that needed constant repairs. After the third repair, Apple replaced it with a new one and that one was trouble free until I sold it for the next model.

The occasional bad apple is expected. But in this case the majority of failures are a particular model of MBA specifically the 2012 MBA's with Toshiba/Sandforce SSDs. This isn't typical as you also expect to see 2010/2011 and 2012 MBA with Samsung drives failing too over time which hasn't happened anywhere to the same degree. There's a saying 'When there's smoke, there's fire'

jbstew32
Sep 27, 2013, 06:43 PM
just to give you all an update on my situation:

I received my laptop back after 1.5 weeks of waiting. The SSD has been replaced and everything is tip top. My 128GB Toshiba was replaced with a 256GB Samsung.

I take back all complaints and skepticism :)

cyber16
Sep 27, 2013, 07:50 PM
That is the way it should be, the SSD prices have dropped since mid 2012 Apple needs to step up to ALL those that suffered failure in/out of warranty.

I received my laptop back after 1.5 weeks of waiting. The SSD has been replaced and everything is tip top. My 128GB Toshiba was replaced with a 256GB Samsung.

henry72
Sep 28, 2013, 04:02 AM

Wow... You're very lucky! Could you tell me why they upgraded your flash drive? Is it because they don't have any 128GB in stock? My friend's MacBook Air 2012 128GB have a samilar problem as you, will take it to a authorized store to get it check and replace. Hopefully he can get an upgrade too :D

jbstew32
Sep 29, 2013, 09:27 AM
Wow... You're very lucky! Could you tell me why they upgraded your flash drive? Is it because they don't have any 128GB in stock? My friend's MacBook Air 2012 128GB have a samilar problem as you, will take it to a authorized store to get it check and replace. Hopefully he can get an upgrade too :D

I have no idea what the reason was. I assumed it was because it was because the replacement was so far backordered. I didn't complain or demand anything special. All I wanted was my laptop back. I think providing the upgrade was the right thing to do given the circumstances. I purchased AppleCare as well, so in the end Apple has still made non-negligable profit from me.

Action
Oct 2, 2013, 05:42 PM
Mine failed today. 128gb Toshiba in a 2012 MBA purchased July 2012.

I have Apple Care, so it's getting replaced for free, but I fear I'll be going through this same process again in a year if the replacement fails.

alembic
Oct 3, 2013, 02:30 PM
Mine failed today. 128GB Toshiba/Sandforce, 2012 MBA purchased October 2012. I made an appointment today with a store Genius. Will post later.

Nero Wolfe
Oct 3, 2013, 02:45 PM
Mine failed today. 128gb Toshiba (Sandforce controller) in a 2012 MBA purchased August 2012 - just passed my warranty. Didn't get AppleCare.

No warning at all. I was using it same as always. Then all of a sudden I got a system freeze (apps unresponsive but Mission Control worked). Did a hard restart and everything came back ... for about 2 minutes. Then another system freeze. Another hard restart but that time I got the folder with the question mark. Booted from an external drive, and all I could see of the internal SSD was 33kb 'Sandforce' partition.

I found a replacement unit on OWC for $160. So I'll put that in and hopefully that will take care of that... I hope Apple does something for people like me who got hit with this just out of warranty.

alembic
Oct 3, 2013, 04:17 PM
... all I could see of the internal SSD was 33kb 'Sandforce' partition.That's exactly what I saw also.

cyber16
Oct 3, 2013, 04:17 PM
Nero, go to Apple first and ask them to repair it.
You can always buy elsewhere after.
This way if they do repair it with another Toshiba, maybe sell that one on ebay to fund the new OWC drive

Jesskwood
Oct 3, 2013, 05:51 PM
I have a 2012 MBA 11" and mine went out exactly 1 year to the day of purchase! I took it in the next day, but out of luck, unfortunately. I was 1 day too late. I have never had an issue with apple service before - and I've been using apple since 1990. They have gone above and beyond in every case, save this. So that does lead me to believe that they are having issues with this 128GB module. Mine is the same toshiba 128GB module that others are reporting - the one with the SandForce controller. Lost the controller - so the drive showed up as just a few kb, not 128GB.

I will be interested to see if Apple offers a replacement. I went with OWC for my replacement simply because I wanted the factory warranty OWC offers. Apple does care about customers and support. I wouldn't be surprised, if there have been enough failures, to see Apple do something for those that have had the parts fail.

alembic
Oct 3, 2013, 09:28 PM
I voiced my concern to the Genius about replacing the failed SSD with another unit that could potentially belly up in a year or so. I asked him if it was possible to upgrade now with a higher capacity Samsung SSD, for which I would be willing to pay the difference, and he said the firmware wouldn't support it. I referenced this thread and he said he would note it in the repair order but without a replacement program from corporate, he could only authorize a straight swap under warranty. i.e. 128GB Toshiba/Sandforce SSD. Fair enough. He estimated 3 - 5 days for the repair.

flowrider
Oct 4, 2013, 12:35 AM
^^^^That firmware argument is just plain silly. I guess they feel a sucker is born every minute:mad:

Lou

Mighty Anderson
Oct 4, 2013, 05:37 AM
I have a 2012 MBA 11" and mine went out exactly 1 year to the day of purchase! I took it in the next day, but out of luck, unfortunately. I was 1 day too late. I have never had an issue with apple service before - and I've been using apple since 1990. They have gone above and beyond in every case, save this. So that does lead me to believe that they are having issues with this 128GB module. Mine is the same toshiba 128GB module that others are reporting - the one with the SandForce controller. Lost the controller - so the drive showed up as just a few kb, not 128GB.

I will be interested to see if Apple offers a replacement. I went with OWC for my replacement simply because I wanted the factory warranty OWC offers. Apple does care about customers and support. I wouldn't be surprised, if there have been enough failures, to see Apple do something for those that have had the parts fail.
The actual issue seems to be the firmware incompatibility across the SSD manufacturer like toshiba & Apple MBP. I say this quite confidently because the same sandforce controller used with SSDs manufacturers like kingston, Intel integrated with other non Apple brands are having absolutely no issues!

Weaselboy
Oct 4, 2013, 09:34 AM
The actual issue seems to be the firmware incompatibility across the SSD manufacturer like toshiba & Apple MBP. I say this quite confidently because the same sandforce controller used with SSDs manufacturers like kingston, Intel integrated with other non Apple brands are having absolutely no issues!

You have a total of 11 posts over the last ten months and every single post is either defending Sandforce or telling us how great Sandforce is. You don't owe me any explanation or anything, I just find it very curious.

flowrider
Oct 4, 2013, 10:03 AM

That's the firmware on the controller, not the firmware on the MBA itself. If OWC SSDs work in any MBA, than any Apple Manufactured SSD designed for a MBA should work in any MBA. And when Apple issues firmware updates, it does so for a particular model of Macintosh.

Lou

magbarn
Oct 4, 2013, 12:49 PM
You have a total of 11 posts over the last ten months and every single post is either defending Sandforce or telling us how great Sandforce is. You don't owe me any explanation or anything, I just find it very curious.

I guess it's not only Samsung that hire live human 'spam' bots for forums.
:rolleyes:

cyber16
Oct 4, 2013, 01:06 PM
Looks like marketing talk if you ask me ;)
I agree! Sandforce drives perform much better these days as compared with other drives because of their unmatched ssd technology...

Acorn
Oct 4, 2013, 01:23 PM
my 2012 macbook air toshiba ssd with sandforce died a week ago. it was exactly 1 year and 1 month old. I just had the chance today to take it to apple. they have a much better thorough hardware test there then the built in hardware test. it confirmed a failed ssd drive. I have applecare so Im waiting on repair. I dread getting another of the same drive. I will just end up going to take it in a year later again.

the fact that these sandforce drives are dying almost exactly at 1 year on the money is quite frightening.

Mighty Anderson
Oct 9, 2013, 04:57 AM

I just have emphasized my satisfaction with this controller. I love to share my experiences with my fellow folks so that they also enjoy the benefits of a reliable brand like sandforce.

alembic
Oct 9, 2013, 10:12 AM
I took my MBA late Thursday afternoon and picked it up early Saturday evening. Alway impressed with Apple's service level.

The SSD module is:

APPLE SSD TS128E
revision# TPVABBF0

Still appears to be a Toshiba unit but not sure if it's a SandForce controller. I seem to recall "SandForce" explicitly displayed when examining the previous module in Disk Utility. Can anybody confirm this?

I also performed a disk Restore from a Time Machine sparseBundle backup. It wouldn't work with the backup on my NAS box. I had to copy it to a spare drive plugged into my MBA. It didn't work the first time either but I re-installed the OS on the MBA and then the Restore worked perfectly. I'm considering a used Mac Mini now to handle my Time Machine and SuperDuper! backups.

Brian Y
Oct 9, 2013, 12:25 PM
I just have emphasized my satisfaction with this controller. I love to share my experiences with my fellow folks so that they also enjoy the benefits of a reliable brand like sandforce.

Sandforce? Reliable?

Now we know you work for them!!!

flowrider
Oct 9, 2013, 05:26 PM
From another thread:

Well you will need to understand the fact that it is an issue with hardware compatibility between Toshiba & Apple. It is very much obvious that the same sandforce controllers with other OEMs are not faulty!

You know your talkin' ragtime - right:confused:

Lou

Lou

henryonapple
Oct 9, 2013, 11:49 PM

check out my thread on here, i just replaced mine with an OWC